• Published 2nd Mar 2016
  • 277 Views, 4 Comments

Reign of Frogs! A collection of short tales - De Writer



A Collection of amusing short tales.

  • ...
 4
 277

Colts!

“You are in big trouble, Hayseed! Hold up or I’m gonna have to arrest you!” shouted the Constable.

Turning about in surprise, Hayseed exclaimed, “What are you talking about, Constable Giper? I didn’t do anything!”

“Farrier’s shop window is broke! He saw you walking away from it AND Ground Nest come told us that it was your fault. That you broke it!”

Confused, Hayseed shook his head, “I didn’t do it at all.”

Constable Giper said gently, “Something don’t add up. Come down to the office with me. We will get Ground Nest and Farrier too. Then we will sort this all out.”

“OK, Constable Giper, Sir. I’ll come with you.”

Hooves plopping up a little summer dust, the two turned and went to the Constables office of the small village of Haymarket.

The constable left Hayseed sitting on a stool in the cool office, with its note board full of fluttering papers.

He returned shortly with Ground Nest, the pegasus colt, and Farrier, Haymarket’s smith, a normally jovial earth pony. Farrier was scowling now.

Ground Nest was grinning ear to ear. “You shouldn’t of broke Farrier’s window, Hayseed! Serve you right for costing me that goal at hoofball!” he crowed.

“I never broke no window! And you did too cheat! You winged that ball! That’s as much against the rule as magicing it.”

“Big Deal! I barely touch that ball. You didn’t have to yell it out like that! Wouldn’t even fight me over it.”

The constable wisely shushed Farrier who was about to interrupt. Constable Giper had foals of his own.

“Wasn’t nothing to fight over. You cheat. You got caught. End of game. I was going home and you chased me. You chucked that rock!”

Ground Nest snapped back, “You broke the window and that is all that there is to it! Your fault, plain and simple!”

Smiling grimly now that he was pretty sure what happened, Constable Giper demanded, “Ground Nest, if you chucked a rock at Hayseed, how did HE break the window?”

“He dodged the rock! Wouldn’t a broke the window if he didn’t! His fault!”

–THE END–