• Published 21st Feb 2016
  • 440 Views, 4 Comments

Myth Chaser and the Secret of Starswirl - Myth Chaser



After the death of their parents, Myth Chaser and his sister Snapshot set out to finish what had been started. The search for the truth behind one of the biggest secrets in the history of Equestria.

  • ...
 4
 440

Chapter Two

“Your parents are dead.”

The words seemed to echo in Myth Chaser's mind. Trying to process the information, he fell back onto the couch cushion, unable to stay standing any longer.

Snapshot stayed standing for the moment, looking at the officer with a look of heartbreak spread over her face. “D-... Dead? What happened?”

The cop moved over in front of the coffee table, taking a seat. “They were on a train, reportedly on their way here from Canterlot. The train's braking system failed and it took a turn too fast...” he explained, glancing at Myth Chaser, making sure it was okay to keep going before he continued. “It derailed from the tracks, and toppled over the edge of the cliff. The fall itself was too much for anypony to have possibly survived... If they had, then... the fire would have done it.” The looks on the two ponies' faces showed that didn't understand that part, and he quickly explained. “The fuel sparked and caused an explosion. Nobody on board survived.”

Myth sat up, leaning forward, and pressed his hooves to his head as if he could hardly handle what he was hearing. The pressure in his chest made it hard to breathe as he felt the need to cry. If anypony else had told him that his parents had died, he wouldn't have believed it. His dad was tough! And his mother was always with him so he kept her safe! Yet here they were... being told about the train being derailed from a braking failure, and told by a police officer...

Silver Cuffs then reached into the pocket on the chest of his suit and pulled out a small, clear, plastic bag. “It may not be much, but... this was recovered from the crash site.”

He then pushed the bag forward across the table. Snapshot gasped at the sight of it, lifting a hoof to her mouth as tears fought their way free from her eyes. Myth's heart sank even further when he looked up from his hooves to the bag sitting in front of him. If there was anything that could prove their parents' deaths, this was it. Inside the plastic bag was a black leather cord tied to a silver ring which was inscribed with runic-looking symbols.


Snapshot and Myth Chaser smiled happily, the two foals sitting together on the living room floor, playing a game together as they looked up at their dark blue coated earth pony mother walking up to their dad, with a small gift box in her hoof with a little bow tied on top.

The dark gold pegasus stallion, Fortune Hunter, raised a brow at the sight of the gift. “Kinda small, don't you think?” he teased.

Pen Scribe smiled at that, holding the small box up in front of her husband. “Just open it.”

He chuckled softly and accepted the little gift, beginning to untie the ribbon on top. “Really though. I got you that big typewriter and you bring me th-”

“Oh hush,” Pen interrupted as she giggled, watching his face. His eyes lit up as the lid came off and he saw the ring inside. Fortune Hunter lifted the silver ring in his hoof to find it was also tied to a black leather cord. He looked at the runic inscription and smiled.

“What is it, dad? What did she get you?” Myth asked, running up and looking curiously, with Snapshot coming up beside him, eager to get a look as well.

“It's a ring, with a cord so I can wear it as a necklace,” Fortune explained, holding it down for the two foals to look at. “Your mother got it inscribed with our motto. See? Adventure Lies Ahead.” After the young colt and filly got a good look, he then lifted it up and over his head to wear around his neck, dangling just down to his chest.

“Happy Anniversary, Fortune,” Pen said with a smile, coming closer and wrapping a hoof around him in a hug.

“Happy Anniversary, Pen,” he replied, hugging her in return, followed by a loving kiss to her lips. Once he pulled back, he smiled, looking down at his new necklace. “I'll never take this off.”


And it was true. Their father never took off the necklace. Not for any family outings. Not for classy restaurants. Not for adventures. Aside from when he went to sleep, while he set it on the nightstand beside the bed, it never came off. If he wasn't wearing it now, then...

After a moment of silence, Snapshot was able to speak again. Looking up at Silver, she managed to ask, “How did... How did you know this was his?”

“Fortune was a good friend of mine a while back. I never saw him without it.”

Myth got up and began to walk away, feeling like he needed to get away from the ring for a moment. He went to the entryway before he turned around, staring at the ring like it was his worst fear... and technically, it was, since it was there without his dad wearing it. He couldn't even speak, feeling like his stomach was in his throat.

Silver Cuffs then got up, leaving the bagged necklace on the table. “I'm sorry, you two. I... have more families to speak to tonight.” The unicorn went over to the front door and opened up, stopping to look back to them. If either of you have any questions, or... just need to talk, come by the station. I'll make time for the two of you.”

With a nod, Snapshot led him to the door. “Of course. We will. Thank you.”

Silver gave a small smile. “Try to get some sleep. You'll feel better once it's sunk in.” He then left, dreading the rest of the night, informing more families of what happened.

Snapshot closed the door behind him and turned the lock. Turning around, she was ready to ask if Myth was feeling okay, but saw him disappearing into the hallway, leaving for his bedroom without a word. With tears running down her cheeks, the pegasus wiped a hoof over her eyes, drying them for the moment. Walking over to the bagged necklace, she looked at it, lifting the bag in her hooves. She opened the bag, letting the ring slip out into her hoof.

The mare looked over to the entry table beside the front door, seeing their framed family picture. She went over, bringing the necklace with her. Tears streaming down her face, she let out a sob as she looked at the picture, knowing she'd never get to see her parents for real again. Snapshot then set the ring down on the table, letting the cord lay on the table, circled around the photo. “We're going to miss you two. So much...” she muttered as she looked at her parents in the picture.

She thought for a second about going to check on Myth, but thought it better to leave him be for the night. He would have stayed if he wanted to talk. Snapshot felt like she needed to be alone right now, too, and with how late it was, the two needed to sleep, if they could.


One Week Later

It had been a busy week. The train from Ponyville to Canterlot was already back up and running. No damage to the tracks meant easy replacement, just putting new train cars on and keeping it going. Of course they tested the brakes and everything to make sure it was completely safe so nopony would fear having to ride.

The two went to the bank to find out about their inheritance, surprised by just how much money actually was in their parents' shared account. They knew their parents had no money problems, but they didn't expect quite this much. The inheritance money was split fifty-fifty between the two.

The two of them would easily be able to continue the payments for the house, resulting in them deciding to keep it. They didn't mind sharing the home with each other. Myth would probably be spending a lot of time out on adventures anyways, and when Snapshot wasn't with him she would have the house to herself for any photography sessions.

They had sent out letters to friends and family, informing everybody of what happened, and invited them all to the funeral. The funeral had come and gone fairly quick. With no bodies recovered, there was no burial made. Fortune Hunter and Pen Scribe's names were inscribed together on a tombstone, stating their birth-to-death years. Myth and Snapshot gave a little speech together about their parents, and every pony said their goodbyes and left flowers. Family and friends all came, though the family had to leave back to their homes all over Equestria right after.

Now, the two siblings sat side by side at a table in Winter's restaurant with her, Tenzo, and Winter's pink-haired twin sister, Star Shimmer. Lance and Ember had their own table to make room for all the adults to eat together, Lance digging into his fries as Ember showed him her new flame cutie mark she had gotten during her camping trip with Tenzo. All ponies were dressed in black, having just finished the funeral. Winter had invited them all over to the restaurant for a free, private dinner with the whole restaurant to themselves, offering to make them anything they wanted.

“I'm sorry your family didn't stay around after the funeral,” Star apologized to the siblings as her sister set down everyone else's plates of food, burgers and fries for everyone at the table.

Snapshot nodded, wiping at her eyes with a tissue. “It's fine. Everypony needs to get back home. We didn't expect them to just cancel their plans to come stick around for a while.” She then pulled her drink closer, taking a sip.

“The important thing is they came,” Myth said, nibbling at one of his fries.

The group ate in silence for a short moment, nibbling their fries, biting their burgers, and sipping their sodas. Then the orange stallion, Tenzo, spoke up. “Do you two need a place to stay for a while?” he asked. “Just... to have somepony around?”

Winter nodded at that, looking over to them. “Yeah, you're more than welcome to come stay with us for a while if you need to.”

Myth and Snapshot exchanged glances and each shook their head, with Myth answering. “No, that's okay. We'll be fine.”

“Thanks for the offer, though,” Snapshot added with a little smile.

Every pony went back to eating silently, unsure of what to talk about. They had talked plenty at the funeral and were practically out of conversation topics for now. Until Winter remembered last week. “Uhm... Did you ever figure out what that thing was, that you found last week?” she asked, hoping to maybe get their minds off the funeral for a moment.

Myth's ears perked up at that and he shook his head. “Uh... No. I actually forgot all about that thing.” He hummed in thought for a moment and shrugged. “I think my guess about it was it could be some kind of compass, or something. Maybe even a weird kind of map that I don't understand. I'll have to take another look at it to remember.”

“You could bring it by my place sometime and I could check it out,” Star Shimmer spoke up. “If it's a compass or map, I'm sure I could confirm that for you.”

“Oh yeah. I forgot you're into compasses and maps for more than just astronomy stuff.” Myth chuckled. “I'll bring it by tomorrow night, if you don't mind. Don't have any night-sky things you're looking out for?”

The pink-haired unicorn mare shook her head with a smile. “Nope. I'm totally free the next few days. I'd be happy to help out, if I can.”

Myth had a smile on his face now, eager to find out for sure if that golden, round artifact thing actually was a compass or some kind of map. If it was, that might help lead him on a path to figuring out how to read it, and what it lead to. If not, he was at a loss.

Snapshot had a small smile on her face as well, now that she was seeing her brother happy and smiling again. It had been a week since she'd last seen him smile. He must have really liked adventure stuff if that's what it took to get him this way.

The group continued eating and talking, Snapshot asking Tenzo about how the camping trip with Ember went, glad that they had gotten to go. He explained that it was a fun time of swimming and playing games, and he helped Ember use magic for the first time, getting her a cutie mark for fire magic when she started their campfire herself.

Spending this time together with close friends sure seemed to help Myth and Snapshot cope with the loss of their parents.

It wasn't much longer before the siblings were ready to head home. It was beginning to get dark out by now. It had been a long day at the end of a long week, and the two were ready to get back to their lives now that everything concerning their parents' deaths was taken care of. Inheritance, home ownership, funeral...

Exiting the restaurant, Myth and Snapshot shared hugs with Star, Winter, Tenzo, Lance, and Ember. Winter locked up and the groups split up. Winter and Tenzo taking their two kids back home and Star going back to her own place, probably ready to stare at the sky all night to make more star maps.

Upon returning home, Myth flopped down on the couch, ready to fall asleep right then and there, not even caring that he was still wearing his suit for the funeral. Who could blame him? It was a long day!

“I'm gonna get to bed. You staying up much longer?” Snapshot asked as she pulled the hair tie out of her mane to let her ponytail down.

“Probably about half a minute,” Myth muttered, his face buried into the couch cushions.

His sister managed a little laugh at that and gave him a little pat on the back. “At least try to get out of that suit before you pass out.”

“Nnnh...” he groaned, waving a hoof at her, wanting her to just go so he could get to sleep.

She left with a yawn, heading down the hall. Myth heard her flip her light switch on before closing her bedroom door. Just as he was getting up to head to his own room, there was a knock at the door. He groaned lightly and went to answer. Upon opening the door, he saw Page Turner, their friend from the bookstore, holding a little plastic bag in her hoof.

“Hey. Sorry if I woke you,” she apologized quickly.

“You didn't,” Myth said. “Snaps and I just got home. What's up?”

“I just wanted to come by after work and say sorry I couldn't make it to the funeral.”

“Oh, don't be. We understand. You had some author coming for book signings today, right? Can't cancel or reschedule that kind of thing.”

Page nodded, glad that they were understanding about it. “Yeah. That's another reason I came by. The author was the writer of the Fogborn books that Snapshot likes. I figured... since she couldn't come to the signing, I could ask the author for a signed copy of the newest book in the series to give to her. When I told him Snapshot couldn't make it because she was at her parents' funeral... He insisted on giving her this.” With that, she held the plastic bag up for Myth. He took it curiously and took a peek. Inside was a boxed set of the entire Fogborn series. “He signed each one individually, and said to tell her that he's sorry for your loss.”

Myth smiled softly, and a bit tiredly, at that and set the bag aside. “Thanks, Page. She'll love it.”

“I thought so,” she said back, smiling. Her ears then perked up in remembrance. “Oh! There's something for you, too.”

She reached into her bag and pulled out a tattered, leather covered book. Myth took it curiously and looked it over. It was worn and torn, showing signs of age or rough handling, and looked to have some dirt sticking to it.

“What's this?” he asked, looking back up to her.

Page smiled knowingly. “Open it.”

Myth did as told, his curiosity getting the better of him, and opened to the first page. His ears perked up when he saw what was there. Hoofwritten on the first page was his father's name, Fortune Hunter, and Myth recognized it as his journal. Not his only journal, but the most recent one he got last month. Meaning this journal was all about the latest artifact they had been hunting down. He looked back to Page, wondering how she got it.

Before he could even ask, she explained. “Officer Silver Cuffs gave it to me. I saw him at your house and I told him you weren't home. When he said he had something for you, I told him I could bring it by later. He said it was found in the train wreckage and thought you might like to have it.”

Myth smiled softly, looking back down to the book and flipped through the pages quickly, seeing it was mostly blank, only two or three pages containing any writing.

“Thank you for bringing this by,” he said, smiling and moving in, pulling her in for a hug. “This means a lot to me, and I'm sure to Snaps too, when I show her.”

“No problem,” Page said, hugging back tightly and even patting his back until Myth pulled away. “Anyway, I'll let you get to sleep now. You look exhausted.”

“I am.” He chuckled tiredly, giving a little nod. “Have a good night, Page.”

“You too.”

With that, she turned and left, on her way home, and Myth closed the door, grabbing the plastic bag with the books for Snapshot. He brought it down the hallway, knocking on his sister's bedroom door and waiting a moment before peeking in, seeing her sleeping quietly in bed. Myth stepped inside and silently set the bag down on her desk so she would see it when she woke up.

Myth then returned to his own room, got out of the tuxedo he'd been wearing all day, and lay in bed with a comfortable sigh, falling asleep in no time.


The Next Morning

The golden colored stallion yawned tiredly as he poured a glass of orange juice, waiting for the toaster to give him his breakfast, when he heard a squeal come from down the hallway. He grinned, knowing Snapshot must have seen the books brought by for her.

Soon enough, the blue pegasus rushed down the hall and tightly hugged him. He laughed and gave her a one-hoofed hug in return. “What's this for, Snaps?” he asked.

“The books, ya goof!” she shouted. “When did you have the time to go get me a boxed set of the complete series all autographed?”

He chuckled and shook his head. “I didn't.” Snapshot broke the hug, looking at him curiously until he explained. “Page brought it by last night after you went to bed. She wanted to get you a signed copy of the latest book since the author was there yesterday for the signings. Apparently she told the author you couldn't make it because of the funeral, and he insisted on giving you that complete series instead. She said to tell you that he said he's sorry for our loss.”

“Aww. Well that's sweet of him,” she cooed softly, smiling. “And her, for asking for a book in the first place.”

The single slice of toast popped up from the toaster at that moment and Myth grabbed it with his bare hoof. “Yeah, and that's not all.” He took a bite from his toast, walking in to the living room and took a seat on the couch, gesturing to their dad's journal he left on the table last night. “Silver Cuffs found dad's journal in the train wreckage and gave it to Page for her to bring over.”

“Have you looked through it yet?” she asked, clutching her boxed set of autographed books to her chest.

“Not yet,” he answered with another bite of his breakfast. “I was going to go through it today. Care to read through it with me?”

Snapshot shook her head. “As much as I love mom and dad, I really want to finish reading this last Fogborn book before I go back to my photography stuff tomorrow. Mind telling me about the adventure later?” she asked, getting up from the couch.

He chuckled and nodded. “Sure. You go read your book, nerd,” he said teasingly, finishing off his toast as Snapshot went back to her room.

Myth then picked up Fortune's journal and went to his own room, cleaned up by now, figuring he owed it to his mom to clean up after himself like she had asked. His mom's books lined the top shelf of his bookcase against the wall, followed by his dad's past journals that he liked to read every now and then. Those journals were much more intact, thanks to not going through train wrecks.

The stallion took a seat at his desk, setting his dad's latest journal down, and opened to the first page. He began reading...

First entry:

By now, I know that you two, Myth and Snapshot, are the only ones that read these journals. I usually write these just to get stuff down so I don't forget, but this time I'm just going to write this like I'm talking directly to you, alright, kiddos? Hope it doesn't make this stuff a worse reading experience for you two.

First thing's first... Your mother and I are onto something big this time. Sure, I say that every time and we just come home with some old bone of an extinct species or ancient urn or something. Not this time. This time? Well. Let's start from the beginning, huh?

Believe it or not, this one started because of your mother. Yeah. Pen was doing some reading about magic to better understand how it works for her next book she's going to write about a unicorn. In researching this, she of course came to read some stuff about Starswirl the Bearded. Who wouldn't come across him when reading about magic, right?

Well here's the thing.

Starswirl had a secret. A secret so big, nopony knows even to this day, exactly what it was. But apparently during his time giving Princesses Celestia and Luna magic training for raising and lowering the sun and moon... Celestia saw Starswirl and Luna coming and going from the castle every night, and neither of them would say what they were doing, nor explained why they couldn't tell her.

What was Starswirl hiding? Why did it involve Luna? Why couldn't they tell Celestia?

No idea. But there's one thing that Pen and I do know.

Whatever this big secret of theirs is about, it involved some hidden place that nopony other than them have ever visited. Any questions about this to Luna have apparently been avoided, or otherwise met with her requesting not to be asked about it any further.

If a Princess and one of history's most powerful wizards were the only two ponies ever to visit there, then there must be some reason...

That's what we're going to find out. Myth. Snapshot. Your mother and I did some research, and found something out.

There's a trail to find this location, and it starts with some artifact hidden somewhere in the mountains to the north of Canterlot. We don't know what this artifact is or what it does. We just know the beginning of this adventure starts with that. So your mother and I are sending the two of you to look for it. In the meantime, we're heading to the Canterlot library. We think we can find more information in the Starswirl wing of the archives.

Hopefully we'll find more information there.

That was the end of the first entry. Myth was sitting up, more interested now than he was before he started reading. “Huh...” He glanced over, looking at the artifact his parents had sent him and Snapshot to recover. Reaching over, he took it in his hoof and looked over the round, golden disc, still curious about the runic symbols and the needle. “So you've got something to do with Starswirl the Bearded, huh...? And Luna. Some.... secret place.” Myth then reached to the knob-like part in the center that the needle was jutting out from. It looked like it could be turned, but when he tried, it didn't budge. What was this thing?

He turned back to the journal, hoping that maybe his parents had found something out. But, upon turning the page, he found that a page had appeared to be ripped out. Everything after that was blank. He sighed and sat back in his seat at the desk. Only one entry, and it only started with that first trip that Myth and Snapshot had taken? Their parents were really just starting out on this adventure. With nothing more than a story about a secret area that nopony knew about it and the rumor about an artifact that nobody knew what it did.

But now, Myth's interest was piqued. If it was just about some random location, he wouldn't have paid any more attention to it. But the fact that it was a location known only to Starswirl the Bearded and Princess Luna... and they refused to speak about it to anyone, even Celestia herself... Something was up. Myth wanted to know what it was. He had to know.

“Did you find anything in the archives...?” Myth muttered to himself, curious if his parents were able to find any information.

“Did you say something, Myth?” Snapshot asked from his doorway, catching him by surprise.

He turned and looked back to her. “Just, ah... thinking out loud.”

“Something interesting?”

Myth nodded, looking down in thought. “Yeah...” He then closed the journal he had just read and looked up at Snapshot. “Think you can get out of your photography work for a while longer?”

His sister looked at him oddly and shrugged. “Maybe. What for?”

“I want you to come with me,” he said, getting up from his seat and grabbing his black saddlebag, lifting it up onto his bed. He pulled the green gem-shaped strap up to open one side of the bag and packed their dad's journal into the side along with the golden disc artifact.

She chuckled lightly, watching her brother pack his bag. “And... where, might I ask, are we going?”

In the other side, he packed a bag full of bits along with his ID, toothbrush, toothpaste, and any other necessities he could think of.

He looked over to his sister. “Mom and dad were onto something. And they were just getting started. I want to continue their adventure for them. See it through to the end, and find the answers they were looking for.”

Snapshot's ears perked up at that and she smiled. She'd had fun on her last trip with him, recovering the artifact their parents asked them to fetch. How much fun would it be to continue a full on adventure started by their parents? “Count me in.”

Myth smiled, glad that she agreed to come along, and watched her leave to her room to pack her own saddlebag. He turned off his light and carried his bag into the living room, setting it beside the front door so he could wait for his sister. Standing there by the door, he saw the family picture. Him, Snapshot, their parents. Standing together in the living room, and all smiling happily together. A fairly recent picture. He then saw the necklace laying there that Snapshot had placed around it.

He reached to the necklace, taking the ring in his hoof. He clutched it closely while looking at the picture. This was his dad's adventure. The ring in his hoof was his dad's necklace, given to him by his wife, Myth's mother, Pen Scribe. This necklace was a part of his dad.

It was in that moment that he made the decision. As he lifted the necklace up, he slipped the black leather cord over his head and around his neck, letting the ring hang down and against his chest. He wasn't going to let this necklace be a reminder that his parents were dead. He was going to keep it as a reminder that his parents were always with him, in his heart.

“That looks good on you,” Snapshot complimented, a smile on her face as she walked up to her brother, seeing him wearing their father's necklace.

Myth smiled and looked in the mirror at the house entryway, seeing his reflection with the necklace on. “You think so?”

The pegasus came up beside him, nodding as she looked at the reflection with him. “So... Where are we heading?”

The stallion reached to his bag and slid it up onto his back, the bags hanging at his sides, and strapped them in place. “Canterlot. I'll tell you what I know on the way.”

She nodded and opened the front door, her own bags resting at her sides, strapped in place as well. “You go ahead to the train station and get our tickets. I need to let the magazine editor know I won't be around a while longer.”

“Alright. I'll see you there. And, hey... Snapshot?”

“Yeah?” she asked, looking back at him.

Myth smiled, looking to his sister, and cited their parents' motto. “Adventure lies ahead.”

Author's Note:

Hey, everyone! Sorry for taking so long to get this done and uploaded. I'm so lazy! Now that I'm using my computer at the desk ever since my laptop crapped out, I feel more and more like writing. So hopefully I'll be getting these chapters written, edited, and published more frequently!