• Published 22nd Mar 2016
  • 469 Views, 12 Comments

The Bass Falls - Okami1197



John and Angelle are pulled from their home and put into a world not their own.

  • ...
10
 12
 469

A New Friend

It has been two weeks since the castle was scorched. Celestia was forced into telling the press that humans had returned and that a single human was responsible for what happened. There has been riots and protest by some saying that he needed to be executed, others think that he should be spared on account that he is the only one of his kind left on the planet. An empty coffin was buried in respect for Angelle. John has been in a coma since he had his mana drained.

*****

"Princess Celestia," a guard started, "There is a large force of warriors approaching our boarder."

"Me and my sister shall go and talk to their leader to see what they plan to do." Celestia responded from her throne.

"Shall I assemble a squadron of pegasi for an escort?"

"Please, we shall be leaving at sun down."

"Yes, Princess Celestia." the guard bowed and left the room.

*****

"Sir we are nearing the Equestrian boarder. Shall I send the formal declaration?" one of the large dark creatures said.

"No. If those two have not changed they will meet us soon." one in balky black armor said. It turned around and yelled, "We stop for the day! We shall wait for the Sun and Moon to appear!" the large figure turned back towards the direction of Canterlot and looked to the sky, "Soon we shall have our vengeance on those accursed humans."

*****

Celestia and Luna both flew with urgency towards the army that is on their border in complete silence other than the sound of the wind zipping past their ears. Neither of them are happy with what is happening and are determined to get to the bottom of why an army is approaching their country.

Celestia's mind was heavy with thought of John. She felt responsible for his lose and sudden outburst. He was nothing like the humans of old. They were proud warriors who seldom let their feelings control them, but John is something else entirely. He holds the emotions that would have saved the humans long ago close. Celestia lowered her head as she thought. She pushed the remainder of her thoughts to the side for later and raised her head, "Sister, I feel we are close."

"As do I." Luna responded never once looking at her sister, "Who's army do you think it is?"

"That is the problem sister, I do not know. I fear that an enemy from long ago has returned but I am uncertain." Celestia responded as she started her decent closely followed by Luna. Celestia stopped as soon as she broke the cloud layer, "Sister, I think I just found them."

Luna stopped next to Celestia and stared at the mass before them, "This is not good. Shall I go down first?"

"No, we shall do it together. They have stopped instead of crossing into Equestria. I think they might be here for something other than war." Celestia started her decent once more and Luna quickly followed.

*****

The head figure smiled as Celestia and Luna descended towards its camp. It motioned for two of its soldiers to follow as it moved towards Celestia and Luna, "It is good to see you two have not changed much. I am Slaocken leader of my people. Though we have forgotten the name we once went by, we have not lost our ways."

"Slaocken it is an honor." Celestia said, "What has brought your mighty army to our boarders? I hope it was not war."

"War no. A person of interest yes. It has come to my knowledge that a human, the ones who destroyed our civilization, is being housed in your country." Slaocken stated, "We wish for you to turn him over to us, so he can be punished for the sins of his people."

"Im sorry but I can not do that. He has nothing to do with happened all those years ago." Celestia said frowning at Slaocken.

"Then war. Those are your options. Hand him over or my army slaughters your people then kills him once we destroy your capital."

"That does not make you any better than the humans of old, you fiend." Luna responded as she resisted the urge to attack the beast, "I may not like him but he was kind even though I gave him every reason to hate all ponies based on how I treated him. So in turn I personally wont let you do anything to him."

"Then war it is." Slaocken stated darkly, "I hope your ponies can defend themselves." Slaocken lifted his hand in the air and clinched his fist. Suddenly the hole of his army was moving.

Celestia and Luna both shot into the air and stared in shock at just how many of them their were, "Sister, we cannot stop them ourselves. There is to many even for us." Luna said in shock, scared for her subjects.

"Luna it is time to initiate Eclipse Protocol. We are in a state of complete war, and we will need all who are able bodied ready to fight." Celestia stated defiantly as her horn started to glow followed shortly by Luna's horn. Slowly both the sun and moon drift to the center of the sky. Once the celestial bodies where in place both Luna and Celestia changed. Celestia's rainbow mane became streams of fire, while Luna became taller, matching the height of Celestia, her coat darkened and her mane grew in length. Both sister suddenly disappeared once their transformation was complete.

"So it begins." Slaocken said with a deep, dark laugh as the two vanish.

*****

I slowly open my eyes as I bring my hand to my head, "How did I get this killer headache?" I asked not exactly expecting an answer. As the rest of my senses came back to me I heard the beeping of a heart monitor. "What happened?" I still was not expecting an answer, but to my surprise the door opened.

A mare with a white coat and red mane trotted in, "Lets see." the mare looked at the different instruments by my bed, "Blood pressure looks about normal, heart rate is steady, and brain activity is…." the mare stopped and finally looked at me, "Your awake!" the mare stated quite loudly, "I must inform the Princess. Stay here." the mare ran out the room before I could say anything.

"The least you could have done was answered a question or two before you ran off." I said after the door closed. "I wonder how long I was out?" I asked absentmindedly as I pulled the I.V.s and such from my body, "Man I hate those things. Now where is a cotton ball and some gauze so I can cover this fucking thing?" I searched around the room for what I needed and found them in a cabinet opposite to the door. As I was cleaning and bandaging hole in my arm the door opened and I heard a slightly annoyed exhale.

I turned to see Celestia standing in the doorway at least I thought it was Celestia, "John you do know your supposed to wait for the doctor to do that right?"

"Eh. I honestly don't like just lying around doing nothing so I decided not to wait." I responded calmly as I walked towards her, "So can you tell me exactly what happened to give me a headache and why I am in this room?"

Celestia started her story of how I came to be in this room. Nothing was that bad other than the fact that I am now truly alone in this world. I am the only living human left. Celestia must have noticed the tear in my eye because she trotted up to me and wiped it away with her hoof, "It will be ok John. There is still a chance that more humans will arrive."

"If what you said is true there wont be many that come if any. Not many have the ability to be peaceful unless attacked." I said as I slowly backed away from Celestia, "If it is fine with you, I'd like to get some instruments for me to take my mind off of these things. I will even try and play with some of your local musicians if they are available. Solos are fun and all but groups of musicians are always more so."

"I'll see what I can do. Is there a specific type of instrument you would like? This way when I send for one I know what to get." Celestia responded giving me her usual warm smile that I didn't realize she was missing.

"If it’s the same to you, I'd rather pick the instruments myself. That way I can get the ones that are to my liking." I responded, "Also I'd like to go today if at all possible."

Celestia frowned, "I wish I could grant that request but unfortunately all stores were closed at the start of Eclipse Protocol. All ponies have been distributed into manufacturing, agricultural, and guard positions."

I gulped, "Does that mean your at war?"

"Yes, but as you are not an Equestrian citizen neither Luna or I can force you into any of those things. Personally I'd prefer if you stayed here in Canterlot away from it all." Celestia responded.

I clenched my fist, "Celestia why has a war started suddenly. Don't just say because they happen, because a war on the scale of doing what your doing means something very bad is happening. So please tell me." I said some how managing to keep my voice calm.

"Are you sure you want to know John?" she asked and I responded by nodding my head. Celestia took a deep breathe and said, "The army that is attacking should not exist. Their kind was supposedly whipped out long ago by your kind. They have lost everything but their culture and even that is almost gone. They have come to kill you. They are here because they what to punish you for what the humans of old did to them."

"Celestia……" I said through clinched teeth, "Bring me to the blacksmith. I need some armor and a sword."

"John, please don’t do this. You don't have any training. Both magical and sword play. It could take years to train you with either let alone both." Celestia pleaded.

"I said to take me there. I wont be having anyone die for me if I am not on the battle field fighting with them. On my world, the one who has others fight for them are cowards. I will not have my name on that long list." I responded with more force in my voice this time.

Celestia slumped, "I guess I should tell you that even Luna didn't want to turn you over to them. If you really want to follow this path that has changed so many before you, go find Luna on the training field with the current recruits. She will help you from there." once she finished she turned and walked out the room slowly, but before she left completely she turned and looked at me, "Please come back if you go to the field of battle. I have buried to many because of war." Celestia left after that leaving me in silence.

*****

After what seemed like an hour of walking I finally found the place I was looking for. My ears were greeted by the sounds of combat drills and shouting. I smiled as I walked onto the training field. Everypony who was not training stared at me. I was thankful for the cloak that Celestia gave me not long after I left the infirmary, to hide my wings. It did not take long for me to find Luna. She was different, she tall, black, and clad in midnight blue armor. As soon as she saw me approaching she dismissed the guard/soldier and trotted towards me. Once she was close enough not to have to yell she spoke, "So you have awaken. I take it you are lost and that is why you are here. The field of battle is no place for a musician, it is the place of warriors."

I grinned a little at Luna, "I have come to receive armor, weapons, and training." I kneeled, "I wish to serve Equestria in this conflict for I am no coward. I will not have others take the field of battle in my name without me among their ranks."

Luna gave me a surprised but proud smile, "Very well. I will train you, but you will have to earn your place among these mares and stallions. Earn their trust and friendship. Do you understand?"

I stood and saluted her, "Ma'am yes ma'am!"

"Grab a training sword we start now. Keep your cloak and learn to use it."

No sooner than I picked the sword up did she start. Soon all the guards/soldiers on the field moved to make room for their Princess and me. I managed to block some hits but very few most hit my arms and legs with astounding force that will no doubt leave bruises. No matter how hard I tried I was unable to hit her, but the longer we went the hotter the air around me got until I instinctively released the sword and pulled my cloak taught to block Luna's attack as I wiled my sword around to hit her in the back. As soon as the wooden sword hit her back she stopped and nodded, "It seems that you do have some magic control, and that was a very good idea to use your cloak to block my vision of your person."

I could only smile at the slight praise I was getting even if I am not completely fond of the one giving it, "This sword is not all that comfortable for me. I prefer much larger ones or two swords designed to be used at the same time." I looked around and saw faces of shock on everypony's face when I finished speaking, "Did I say something wrong?"

"Not at all John. It is just odd that you asked for a bigger sword, because that is one of our great sword training weapons." Luna responded.

"For me it is just a standard sword. I personally prefer swords about five or so feet in length but not to thick." I responded only to receive more shocked looks.

"I do not know of any weapons of that size in our armory, but I am sure that our smiths can craft it for you if you give them a basic shape to work with." Luna said, "Would you like me to help you make a training one?"

I nodded, "If you wouldn’t mind that would be great."

*****

After a few hours Luna and I shaped a sword of wood that resembled a nodachi but with a shorter hilt. "I have to say, this is an interesting design. Such a long but narrow blade would be problematic for anypony who tried to use it."

I stood up and grabbed the sword and swung it a few times, "This feels much better." I smiled, "Hey up for a rematch?" I asked Luna.

"Wouldn't you rather fight somepony else? I don't want to completely cover you in bruises." Luna responded, sounding a little to sure of herself.

"Now why would I do that? I don't want to hurt them before they see actual battle. Are you just scared that I'll scuff up you pretty armor?" that question got the response I was waiting for. Luna grabbed a sword I had not seen yet. The sword was elegant. It had blades on both ends making it a double threat weapon. Before I knew it Luna shot towards me. The swords collided and we started a power struggle. Luna wanted to hurt me, I could see it in her eyes. I pushed off the ground launching myself into the air. I didn't have long before she followed. I pulled my sword behind my back and swung it out causing me to spin and dodge Luna's attack and hit her leg as she passed. We both landed, and she shook her head as if she was clearing it. She then threw the weapon to the side like it was going to kill her, "Luna is everything alright?" I heard a few gasps around me when I addressed her by name, but I honestly didn't care.

"No I am not ok. I almost lost control. I guess this is why mine sister does not wish for us to take the field of battle once more." she looked me in the eye and I saw something I didn't expect, she was scared, "John go to the blacksmith and have him make your sword and armor. You can resume training whenever you wish but I will not be helping you." Luna turned and quickly left, leaving me with the guards/soldiers, who were all staring at me in surprise.

*****

"Luna, please come out your room." Celestia called from outside Luna's bedroom door, "I can’t do this alone. I need your help leading our ponies through this war."

"No you don't!" Luna cried from her room, "Me helping will only destroy our fragile country. I can't control myself. The slightest bit of anger made me lose control."

Celestia closed her eyes and mouthed a few words before she forced Luna's door open with her magic. What she saw startled her. The room was a mess, there was things thrown all over the room, "Sister, what did you do?"

"Nothing Celestia. I did nothing. I let myself start to slip back into the nightmare. John provoked me and I lost control. I tried to actually hurt him."

*****

After I went and place my order at the blacksmiths I was free to wander. I had to make the stallion promise not to tell anypony about my wings. I left the castle grounds and started to walk the city. My goal was to find a way to play music, even though all the stores are supposed to be closed. As I walked I saw a few groups of ponies protesting the war. I laughed a little as I passed because they all stopped what they were doing and stared at me. I just ignored them as I carried on with my search. Much to my relief I found a music store. There was a sign in the window saying that there was nothing for sale but all are welcome to come and play. I smiled as I opened the door. At first all I saw were wind instruments that you would normally see in a school band, but as I moved further into the shop I started to see cellos, string basses, keyboards, violins, guitars, bass guitars, and quite a few other ones. I walked over to a nearby string bass and ran my fingers over the strings. I slowly pulled my hand back and moved to the next one and did the same. I continued to do this until I found one that felt right. I picked it up and went off to the side of the room. I plucked each string of the bass and surprisingly it was in tune. I started to let my hands flow across the bass as I plucked out a simple melody that started sorrowful but slowly became more joyful as I played. I was so focused on playing the music that I didn't realize an older looking stallion walked up to me, "That is some mighty fine playin you fine playin you just did. To bad you had to come during this time of war."

"Thanks. I wish I would have to, but I'm afraid this war is because of me." I responded as I walked to place the string bass back on the stand.

"Now don't be sayin that. This war couldn't be your doing."

"It is. The ones attacking want my head for something my ancestors did."

"Well that ain't your problem then. How about I give you that there sting bass to get your mind off of that issue." the old stallion said.

"I would be grateful for that. What is your name sir?" I asked.

"Names Solid Sound. Just call me Solid."

"My names John. Nice to meet you Solid." I smiled as I shook his hoof, "Would you happen to have a case and stings for the bass?"

"One case and your first set of strings are on the house my friend. It has been a long while since I heard somepony play one of those things with any creativity or emotion. Hearing you play made me happy to see that there is still those who value the fine art of creative music." Solid responded.

"Lets grab that case and those stings. I need to get going back to the castle." I said. I really didn't want to leave. This place feels calm and relaxing, something that the castle does not have.

Solid trots behind the counter and grabs a pack of strings and a case. On my way to him I grabbed the string bass, "I hope you come back. Not many play music anymore."

I placed the string bass in the case, "I will. I feel relaxed surrounded by all these instruments." I grabbed the string bass and started for the door, "Have a good day Solid." I waved as I left and hurried back to the castle. As I got closer to the castle I noticed something moving out the corner of my eye. I slowed down to try and get a good look at whatever is following me. I walked through the castle gate, and as soon as I saw it I turned and there was a small blue and black lizard frozen in fear eyeing me. I set the string bass down and sat on the ground, "It is ok." I said softly, "I wont hurt you little one." surprisingly that actually worked and the little thing slowly moved its way towards me, "That’s right, I just want to be your friend." after I said that the lizard started moving a little faster towards me until it was in my lap. I rubbed the lizards head, "Do you want to come with me?" it nodded, "Good, lets get inside. Im sure that Princess Celestia would love to meet you." I picked the lizard up and put it on my shoulder. I then stood up and grabbed my string bass and continued into the castle. As I walked through the halls I saw a line of ponies, mostly unicorns, who had their noses so high that I am surprised they could even see ahead of them. I stopped outside the throne room door and was about to open it when one of the ponies spoke up.

"See this is why you should just be kicked out of Equestria. You have no respect for how things work here. You can clearly see the line so get in it you hairless ape."

I ignored the unicorn as I opened the door and walked in. The guards closed the door behind me not saying a word. I looked at Celestia sitting on her throne. She looked miserable, "Celestia are you alright?"

She jumped in surprise, "Yes I am fine. I am just tired is all." Celestia scanned over my body, "I see that even though you have no money you still managed to get an instrument."

"Yeah. Solid Sound gave it to me after I played it in his store." I responded.

"I am not surprised at that one." Celestia responded with a soft smile, "He always had a soft spot for musicians who actually know true music." her eyes shifted to my shoulder, "There you are you troublesome dragon."

"Dragon? This adorable thing is a dragon?"

"Yes she is." Celestia responded with a slight sharpness to her words, "As a test for getting into my school for gifted unicorns I have them try to hatch a dragon egg. Well this particular dragon decided to run as soon as it hatched this morning. I have had the staff of the school searching for her, but every time somepony gets close she darts away."

"She didn't run from me." Celestia's jaw dropped, "All I did was get on her level and told her that it was safe."

"It is not a complete loss. The little filly who hatched her didn't want a dragon to accompany her. So I guess you can keep her."

"So do I have to name her or does she discover her name through some type of journey or something?" I asked.

"You name her." Celestia responded flatly, "and if you wish you can join in on the magic training classes at my school."

"Sounds good Celestia. Just give me a time and I'll try to make it." I stretched my arm out and my little dragon crawled down it, "Now lets see, how about Flare?" she shook her head, "Blitz, Seera, Zalphite." she stopped me there and nodded, "Zalphite it is then." I looked at Celestia, "How long does it take for them to grow?"

"It depends on there diet and if the have a hoard or not. A gem heavy diet is a slow moderate growth, a meat heavy diet is a slightly faster growth, and a hoard oriented life is rapid growth with slight madness. Your choice." Celestia responded.

"Is there someplace I can hunt?"

"The Everfree Forest. Which boarders the town you were found in, but be warned it is not a safe place."

"So go get my armor and sword before I leave right?" I asked.

"If you must but only at night. None can see your wings." she responded.

"I will tell you when I depart. I shall leave you to be tortured by those stuck up nobles." I grabbed my string bass and left the throne room. As the door closed behind me I looked at the nobles and laughed a little because the guards were using magic to keep them from listening in on Celestia and me. I went to my room and set the string bass down and then went to the blacksmith to get my armor, "Steel Hoof, how did my armor come out?"

The earth pony looked at me, "Sorry, but your armor is not quite ready. Your sword is on the wall over there though." he said pointing at my sword.

The sword had to be at least double the length of every other weapon near it, "Thank you Steel Hoof. About how much longer till my armor is ready?"

"I really don't know. Princess Celestia came by and gave me some designs for it, but I am having trouble crafting it."

"Take your time. I should be fine with just my sword tonight." I said drawing a curious look from Steel Hoof.

"Why do you need your sword tonight if you don't mind me asking?"

"I'm going hunting. Princess Celestia gave me permission to hunt for food, for me and my dragon friend." I responded.

"Well good luck to you then." Steel Hoof said as he went back to work.

I left the blacksmiths and headed back to the throne room. The sun was starting to set on the horizon, so I decide it was time to go talk to Celestia. My wings started to itch with the thought of finally being able to fly, but I would have to wait a little while longer for that.

Author's Note:

If your wondering what John's sword looks like here is a picture