• Published 13th Feb 2016
  • 1,103 Views, 7 Comments

Promises Broken and Beautiful Surprises - n_neptune



When Big Mac is three weeks late for their anniversary, all Rainbow Dash knows is that he'd better have a good reason.

  • ...
3
 7
 1,103

Chapter 3

Rainbow Dash had spent the last two weeks planning the perfect anniversary party. She had planned the details with Pinkie, Sat for dress fittings with Rarity, and invited Fluttershy, AppleJack, Spike, the rest of the Apple family, the Cakes, and the former Cutie Mark Crusaders. Twilight was the one hosting the party, as it was being held in her castle.

She hadn’t talked to Big Mac in the past two weeks, but not for lack of trying. Braeburn had returned her messages each time, saying that Big Mac was far too busy getting their aunt and uncle’s house built for them in Appleoosa. But she was an optimist, and those responses didn’t stop her from hoping that he had still managed to wrangle having the day off of working with his cousin and all of the others there.

As she flew toward Sweet Apple Acres, doing a few impressive stunts along the way, she noticed that AppleJack was out plowing the fields, getting them ready for spring planting. From what Rainbow Dash could tell, it looked like seeds for hay that AppleJack had laid out. She frowned as she knew for a fact that this was a job almost exclusively done by Big Mac. Dash angled her flight toward the field where AppleJack was working, and landed in front of the orange earth pony.

“No luck yet, sugarcube,” AppleJack said before Rainbow had a chance to even ask the question. “Besides, the train don’t get in until ten. I’m surprised you’re behind is even up the early! It’s only eight o’ clock!” AppleJack joked, playfully hitting her friend in the shoulder with a hoof.

“That’s not why I’m here,” Rainbow Dash lied, at least partly. “Pinkie needs some more apples for the scones tonight.”

“And you just happened to volunteer your services in picking them up?” AppleJack raised an eyebrow.

“Well duh, you guys ARE shorthanded, and I happen to be the best flier around!” Dash proclaimed proudly. She then laughed. “Besides, do you have any idea how early Pinkie gets up to bake everything? No wonder the mare has so much energy. Its nuts!”

“Probably as early as I get up,” Applejack pointed out.

“Whatever,” Dash waved her hoof. “But I need a bushel to bring over to Pinkie’s, pronto.” Dash explained. AppleJack agreed and loaded a bushel of apples into Rainbow Dash’s saddlebags. It was a bit heavy, but nothing that she couldn’t handle or would hinder her flying.

She flew to Pinkie Pie’s house first, dropping off the apples. She then flew to Twilight’s castle where Rarity was waiting to help all three of them, and Fluttershy, get ready.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Rainbow Dash didn’t like waiting. For anything. She was as impatient a pegasus as anypony had ever met, and no one in Ponyville would disagree. She knew that the last train from Appleoosa can in at seven in the afternoon. When eight passed, then eight thirty, then nine, Rainbow Dash had eventually given up hope that Big Mac would make it.

Pinkie had been prepared, and turned the anniversary party into a ‘let’s-cheer-Rainbow-Dash-up sleepover party’ They laugh, they joke, they play sleepover games, and eventually they all get out sleeping bags (Pinkie is always prepared for sleeping emergencies!) and try to drift off into dreamland.
Rainbow noticed that Pinkie carefully stored the decorations in an unused storage room in the castle, confident that they’ll be used another time.

/*/*Start Flashback*/*/

Rainbow Dash and Big Mac had been going out for about a month, and it was May. Just starting to turn from spring into summer weather. Rainbow Dash looked on proudly as they walked through Sweet Apple Acres, knowing that she had helped make their crops grow by making sure they had absolutely perfect weather.

Unfair advantage at the marketplace? Please, she’s Rainbow Dash. She gives everyone an unfair advantage just by being around her awesomeness.

“Thoughts?” Mac asked, looking down at Rainbow Dash as they walked through the trees, talking a break from their busy work schedules to catch up with each other.

“I want to go someplace special tonight,” Dash said, looking up at Mac. “There’s this field where I practice my stunts that’s great for stargazing. You up for a picnic there tonight?” Dash inquired with a confident smile.

“Eeyup, chores should be done by seven.” He reasoned, “That okay?”

“I can meet you here at nine, give you some time to clean up?” She smirked.

“And cook?” He laughed.

“You know it, big guy!” She joined in the laughter, taking to the air and giving him a quick kiss on the lips. “See you then!”

“I love her,” Mac said out loud, staring at Rainbow’s retreating figure. He didn’t notice that she faltered in the flying slightly at his impromptu confession, or that he was still within her hearing range when he said it.

Eight hours later, Rainbow Dash was back on the farm to lead Big Mac to where they would be having their picnic beneath the stars. They walked in somewhat comfortable silence through Ponyville, finally making to the field.

‘Luna’s outdone herself tonight’, Rainbow Dash thought hours later, looking up at the beautiful night sky over Ponyville.

She and Big Mac had whittled away those hours talking about anything and everything, and it was now nearing midnight. Rainbow Dash looked up at her boyfriend and realized how much she appreciated that he actually TALKED with her, something he didn’t do with anyone outside of his own immediate family. It made her feel special, cared for, and above all, loved.

In that second, she made her decision about how she was going to respond to Big Mac’s earlier confession.

“I know I talk about how great I am a lot,” Rainbow said, curled up with Big Mac on the picnic blanket, the food long since eaten. “But you’re really awesome too,” Rainbow Dash admitted. “I really love that about you. And…well, if you tell anyone I said this, I will kill you, but I love you,” Rainbow Dash smiled, giving Big Mac an expectant look.

“I love you too, Rainbow Dash,” Big Mac said with a bright smile.

Those were the last word either of them spoke that night, as no more were needed.

/*/*End Flashback*/*/

Dash sighed at the memory. She looked at the clock that now read 1:00 AM. The day after their anniversary. Rolling onto her side in the sleeping bag, she slowly drifter off into sleep. She was Rainbow Dash after all, and it wouldn’t do to have her friends see her crying like a foal over some silly missed anniversary. Especially when she knew he wasn’t going to make it.

Twilight looked over at Rainbow Dash as she tossed and turned in her sleeping bag, and thought to herself. ‘I hope Rainbow’s worth it, Big Mac. Because you’ll have to face one angry pegasus when you get home.’