• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 1,734 Views, 32 Comments

A Diamond For Your Trouble - Cadiefly



Apple Bloom is left in shock when Diamond Tiara, the pony she least expected to display anything other than contempt for everypony her, becomes depressed. Is there anything that Apple Bloom can do to make things better?

  • ...
3
 32
 1,734

Misery

It was a little ways down the road when the estate of one Filthy Rich came into view. It came as to no surprise to any of the CMC that Diamond Tiara's home was the largest in all of Ponyville. Equally unsurprising was its extravagance. Even as far away as it was, some of the details of its architecture could already be made out from where they were.

"They sure know how to flaunt their money." Scootaloo said with a hint of disgust. With great reluctance, she glided along beside them on her scooter, every once and a while pushing against the ground with her hoof to propel herself farther. At the same time she fiddled with her head protection, a sleek helmet of simple design, as if to distract her from the the sight of the home.

Scootaloo was not the only one who was having doubts about this meeting, Apple Bloom noted as she glanced over to Sweetie Bell. The unicorn had stared at the ground practically the entire trip. Every possible outcome ran through her mind. She didn't have the will to voice her concerns of how seemingly every one of those outcomes might ultimately result in them being bullied again by the pink filly in their class.

At the sound of Scootaloo's remark, Sweetie Belle looked up. She saw the mansion for only a second before drooping her eyes once more. "Oh... yeah..." Was all she could stammer out before her voice gave out. And yet, despite her better judgment telling her not to approach Diamond Tiara, she couldn't stop herself from replaying the image of Diamond tearing up. After seeing that, she knew she'd be disappointed in herself if she didn't at least try to console the rich pony.

Apple Bloom had second thoughts of her own, for a mixture of reasons. While she felt sympathetic towards the pink filly, It didn't fully account her motivations anymore. On the face of it, Diamond's situation was certainly akin to Apple Bloom's past hardships. Yet, as she pondered over the significance of this new development, It seemed to pale in comparison to her past. She had lost her mother and father before she was even old enough to remember them.

This had left a hole in her heart, which was now filled by her sister and brother. From her perspective, the void she had felt seemed to eclipse what Diamond must be feeling as a result of her friend moving away. Still, her outburst had been uncharacteristic, and that alone worried her. Was she really that depressed over losing Silver Spoon? Or was there something else?

Obligation did not accurately describe her feelings either. She considered Scootaloo's circumstance in this matter, who seemed to be doing this solely because it was Apple Bloom's and Sweetie Belle's decision confront Tiara. Additionally, the rich pony was one of her classmates, regardless of how she treated them. If there was ever a reason for consoling the pink filly, that might be it.

A seed of deep curiosity, together with sympathy and obligation, was what drove her at this point. She had never expressed anything but negativity towards them. Anything else, including sadness, seemed foreign for Diamond Tiara. She could be more equine than she originally thought. She was curious enough to prove it one way other the other. Perhaps with any luck, she could end the bullying and might even gain a new friend.

"There's one thing we haven't thought about, girls." Scootaloo said, breaking the awkward silence that had ensued. Sweetie Belle and she glanced over to Scootaloo, waiting for her to continue. "What exactly are we going to say once we get there? I can't imagine saying 'we saw you through a scrying crystal.' I mean, that sounds ridiculous, even for us."

This elicited a soft giggle from Sweetie Belle. She perked up for the first time in the last thirty minutes or so, responding candidly, "It's simple. We just ask her how she feels. An elaborate ruse would only make things more complicated."

"An elaba-what?" Scootaloo said, befuddled over the term.

Shaking her head in amusement, she listened to her friends conversation. Her thoughts had drifted towards their surprise meeting as well. She was going over in her mind, carefully constructing a reason for their being there that would seem natural to Tiara whilst gathering intel on her.

Another thought entered her mind, however. What would they do if she admitted her sudden loss of friendship? Would the cutie mark crusaders be able to console her? Would she even accept their help?

"What I mean to say is that we should just be frank with her."

"Who's frank?" Scootaloo asked, trying to conjure up memories of this non-existent pony, to no avail. Frustrated, she smacked her helmet and proclaimed, "I don't know who this Frank pony is."

With a cute groan, Sweetie Belle slapped her hoof to her face.

Without taking her eyes off her, she joined in on the conversation. "Ah think what Sweets is tryin' ta say is that we need ta be darect with Diamond is all," she said with a prolonged stare at Sweetie Belle's pretty mane and her mesmerizing white coat. She really admired her beauty. To a degree, she was jealous of her.

"Oh...well why didn't you just say so?" Scootaloo asked. With a roll of her eyes, she turned back to the mansion. They were only a few steps away now. Any moment now they would come face to face with their worst nemesis. She could only hope that it wasn't disastrous.

The estate was surrounded on all sides by an accompanying wrought iron fencing. On top of each of the fencing's pillars stood a miniature statue of a seemingly well respected Earth pony whose name and resemblance escaped the CMC's heads.

A short, but smooth marble path was laid out before them. A hedgerow followed the trail on either side. An arrangement of extravagant flowers accompanied the hedgerow to the base of the mansion and continued around the corner.

A set of stairs leading to a deck awaited them beyond the trail. In stark contrast to the lush yard, the deck was bare. It held a nice polish that gave it an almost regal appearance, but it lacked all the things that one would normally find on a pony deck.

They noted that the door had a similar polish as they approached it. It appeared ominous. A dark gray in color, it stood several feet tall and was wider than the conventional door. A bell stood at its side, ready to be rung and alert the occupants of the mansion of its guests.

"Here goes nothin'." Apple Bloom said as she rang the door bell. In unison, they gulped and awaited their demise. Their mouths dried as they were filled with dread.

The door clicked open. Instinctively, they closed their eyes in fear. After a second, they could hear somepony clear their throats. Slowly, they reopened their eyes. It was just the butler. "Can I do anything for you, little fillies?" he asked in a monotonous tone.

"We were just hopin' ta speak with Diamond Tiara is all. We're her uhh... classmates from school." she said, taking a moment to look for the right words to describe their relationship with the pink pony.

"I shall notify her momentarily. Wait just a moment." The butler said before retreating back into the abode. It was moments later before he returned. With a shake of his head, he declared, "Mistress Tiara wishes to remain in solitude for a time. Perhaps it is best to return later."

For a moment she furled her brows in deep thought. What could they say that would convince her otherwise to meet them. "Can't ya tell her its urgent?" She asked, "Ah mean, she just lost her friend didn't she?"

The butler took a moment to study the fillies. There was a somber look in his eyes as he did this, but there was a small smile on his lips as well. He gave a soft-spoken reply, "I will see what I can do, little ones." Once more he retreated into the mansion. When he returned, it was to announce that she would see them inside and to follow him.

It was too late to turn back now. They followed him through a hallway with twists and turns until finally he led them straight to a plain looking door. It was plain in that it held the same shiny look as every other door in the mansion. The butler gave a knock on the door. They could hear somepony's voice from inside. "Come in."

Opening the door, the butler poked his head in. "I believe it is the cutie mark crusaders, as you called them, to see you." He said. He widened the door and stepped aside to allow them in.

As they poured into Diamond Tiara's room, they noticed one thing. Despite her best attempts to hide it, it was apparent that the pony had been sobbing. Even now, she was fighting back tears as she looked to the cutie mark crusaders with a disgruntled look. "That will be all for now, Humfrey."[1]

After a moment, the door was shut and they were alone with Tiara. "Uhm, Hey." Apple Bloom said. The entire speech she had planned flying out the window. She looked behind her towards her friends for help, but she saw they were too frightened to say anything. It seemed she was alone on this one.

Trying to look as disinterested as possible, she said, "Can't you blank flanks see that I'm busy? What do you want?" She inspected her hoofs absentmindedly. She turned over onto her back and stared at the ceiling, seemingly lost in thought.

So far, so good. She wasn't biting their heads off, at least not yet. "We were just in the neighborhood, and Ah thought it was a good idea to see how ya were doin' is all..." Apple Bloom mentally berated herself. She could have at least phrased her question better.

Immediately, Diamond Tiara hopped off her bed and stepped up to the CMC with a cold stare settled on her face. Intently inspecting Apple Bloom, she exclaimed, "I don't believe it...Did Silver Spoon put you up to this?!"

"What?" All three of them asked at once in disbelief. Where had that come from?

"Ha, I knew it..." She grumbled as she continued, "Well, you can tell her that it won't work." She stuck up her face and walked back to her bed nonchalantly. "Honestly, I thought she was a better friend than that."

Gaining the courage to speak, Sweetie Bell said, nearly exasperated, "Wait! Silver Spoon didn't put us up to anything."She frantically wracked her brain for answers that would be satisfactory. Apple Bloom wouldn't be the only one to say something to the foal after all.

Diamond Tiara stopped her trek. Facing away, her look of surprise was masked from their view. She finally murmured, "She didn't?" It was almost too quiet for them to hear.

Turning to the farm pony, she suddenly remembered how she was the one who was originally worried over Diamond's well-being. "Yeah," She continued, "Apple Bloom was just telling us how odd you've been acting lately and she was worried about you."

"Ah-mmfh!" Apple Bloom tried to protest, getting cut off by Sweetie Belle's hoof covering her mouth. She glared at Sweetie as she fruitlessly attempted to swat the intruding appendage away.

For a long moment, everything was absolutely still as the pink filly continued to face away from them and not dignify her explanation with a response. With the ponies standing there and doing nothing, the silence was unnerving. What were her thoughts, they wondered apprehensively.

In order to try and garner her attention, Sweetie called out her name. "Diamond?"

The way she turned around in the blink of an eye was totally unexpected for the three fillies. She gave them her best look of superiority as she stomped in their direction. "Please, as if I need you three blank flanks to worry about the likes of me." Her voice trembled, destroying whatever confidence that statement may have given them accept that statement at face value. She was positively quivering.

Finally managing to free herself, Apple Bloom asked, "Are ya sure? Ya sure look like ya could use a friend right about now."

"I'll have you know that I don't need anypony, least of all Silver Spoon! Look around you. You see all of this stuff? That's all I need, everything I could ever want." Her statement was dripping with sarcasm. "As my mom always said, who needs friends?" With watering eyes she closed the distance with the cutie mark crusaders, pressing her hoofs on the wall to either side of Apple Bloom, cutting her off from the others.

[Diamond begins to sing No Answer]

Don't you get it, can't you see?

This isn't fair, I'm so angry.

Leave me to my misery.

I've lost a precious part of me.

...

She held Apple Bloom's chin up with a hoof, leading her on before dropping her unceremoniously as she spun around. She extended her fore hooves around her.

...

I fill the void with so much stuff,

Yet in the end its not enough.

I have gold bars, I have jewelry,

So why am I so unhappy?

Letting her hooves touch the ground once more, she stepped to her window overlooking the yard. Her reflection could be seen by those present as she continued.

...

[Chorus]

Whatever will I do here now?

I am lost and I don't know how,

To find myself here without her,

On my own, I have no answer.

...

She smacked her hoof against the glass, which fractured upon impact. Tears were falling freely on her face.

...

I shouldn't crack, I shouldn't cry

I never got to say goodbye.

She's forever gone, don't you agree?

Beyond my reach, across the sea.

...

Retreating away from the window, Diamond Tiara gathered several objects in her hoofs and heaved them away from their respective places and flung them in every direction.

...

Take away all my finery,

Every last thing that you see,

I'd give it all to you for free.

If you just bring her back to me.

...

Among the objects she threw, a handheld mirror plunged to the ground. As it hit the ground, it shattered. Its remnants depicted a distorted face of Diamond Tiara.

[Chorus]

Whatever will I do here now?

I am lost and I don't know how,

To find myself here without her,

On my own, I have no answer.

...

Diamond was on the verge of sobbing. At this point, she had all but forgotten that the cutie mark crusaders were even there. She wiped her tears away with her hoof. She idly prodded the broken mirror with sudden interest.

"Diamond Tiara..." was all that Apple Bloom could say as she stepped forward. She tentatively placed a hoof on her shoulder to console her. "Ah know that yur-"

Abruptly, her hoof was slapped away. "You know nothing!" the pink filly snapped, causing Apple Bloom to jump away. She glared at all three of them. "Get out of here, you stupid blank flanks! I can't stand being near you..."

When she saw that Apple Bloom wasn't budging from her spot, she got up and began chasing her to the door, and subsequently Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo as well. As she practically shoved them outside, she yelled, "Get out of here! And if you tell anyone about this, I'll make you pay!" And with that, she slammed the door behind her, leaving the cutie mark crusaders speechless at her door.

For the first time since the meeting, Scootaloo spoke. "Well that could have gone better."

"Ya think?" Apple Bloom said with a raised eyebrow as she stared at the orange filly. "Ya didn't even say anything in there."

"Heh, sorry. You know how I am. I'm not very good with the mushy stuff... It kinda makes me uncomfortable." Scootaloo said, trying to sound apologetic. "Anyway, we should probably leave her alone for a while."

"Yeah...We can try again tomorrow." Sweetie Belle said encouragingly. They called their meeting adjourned with the intentions to reconvene later, and proceeded to head home in different directions from Tiara's house.


The news of Silver Spoon and her family's departure from Ponyville arrived the next morning when Cheerilee came in to greet her students. This had the students in an uproar. Their response to the news was overwhelmingly positive, as that meant they had to deal with one less bully in their class. In fact, the only ones who weren't excited about the news were the cutie mark crusaders, whose emotions ranged from unsure about how they felt about it to downright worried for Diamond Tiara's sake.

The pony in question was nowhere to be found. It wasn't until she was extremely late that she had arrived, looking disheveled and not at all together. Her mane was unkempt, and her tiara missing. They decided it was time to face her at the first chance they got.

As soon as they found their opening, during one of their free periods, they confronted her. Despite their best intentions, each of their attempts was as about as unsuccessful as the last. Every time they tried to approach her, Diamond Tiara would either yell at them, shove them, or in Sweetie Belle's case, smack a text book against her face. The latter resulted in Sweetie Belle running away crying. This also resulted in Cheerilee giving Diamond detention.

Sometime after school, the cutie mark crusaders were walking away from the school building. "Are you sure you want to stay? I think Diamond's made it pretty clear she doesn't need our help." Scootaloo said with a roll of her eyes.

"Ya, I'm not ready ta give up just yet. Look, Ah know she's been hard on us, but Ah don't think it'd be fair to ya'll if Ah kept askin' ya to go through with this torture. Trust me, Ah'll be fine on my own."Apple Bloom wasn't too confident that she'd fair any better alone than she had with her friends, and she felt even more exposed just thinking about confronting the filly alone.

"Okay," Sweetie Belle said as she nurtured her head with an ice pack. "Try to be careful okay? She's worse than usual." She then groaned, emphasizing the pain that she was still enduring from that book.

"Ah'll try. And Ah know. But Ah feel like we almost got through to her with that last one." Apple Bloom said, trying to stay positive. Honestly there shouldn't be a reason for her to be trying as hard as she for the filly's sake. She just couldn't get the sight of her sobbing out of her head. She looked absolutely miserable.

They held a bit more conversation, mostly about minor things, to try to lightening the mood a little after a hard day like this. At some point she bid her friends farewell. She watched as they headed home without her.

Now that she was alone, time seemed to draw on to a stand still. The long wait for the filly to get out of detention began. She waited, and waited, and waited some more. After what seemed like forever, just as she was beginning to doze off, the front door to the school building barged open. Being alerted to the noise, Apple Bloom shook herself awake and turned to face the occupant. It was none other than Diamond Tiara.

"You again? Haven't you caused me enough grief already?" she asked as she stepped down the small flight of stairs. At the moment she seemed outwardly apathetic. If she was still in turmoil, she was masking it well.

Apple Bloom bit her lip as she carefully focused on her next words. What could she possibly say that she hasn't already? She gave a heavy sigh as she processed everything. Then, she said, "Look, ah get it. Yur lashin' out at us ta cover up what's really botherin' ya."

"Pfft, no. I'm just annoyed at your constant intrusions into my privacy." She replied as she stared at nothing. Her response was so quick and steady that it almost sounded recited. Her gaze settled into a thousand yard stare.

"Ah find that hard ta believe considerin' how high strung you've been today. Mind tellin' me what's on yur mind lately?"

Diamond Tiara looked down at the ground dejectedly and murmured in so soft a voice that the farm filly almost didn't hear. "I can't...you wouldn't believe me anyways."

Sitting down in front of her, Apple Bloom gave her most attentive and innocent look that she could. "Try me." She said simply.

Tears were forming in her eye again as her eyes fell on Apple Bloom. "Why...?" Was all she could say, her defiant determination weakening. She could vaguely hear snickering from somewhere in the school courtyard, but Bloom was currently occupying most of her attention, and so she didn't pay the odd sounds much notice. "All I do is be mean to you, yet you're still being kind to me."

She wasn't able to help herself as the words naturally left her lips. "Cuz Ah'd like ta think of you as ma friend, Diamond Tiara. Settin' aside the book ya threw at Sweetie Belle, which yur gonna have ta apologize fer that one, You've done nothin' today that that I hold against ya given yur situation."

Diamond Tiara visibly paled as she heard Apple Bloom's answer. She shook her head vigorously. "No, no, no! We aren't friends. You're just a b-blank flank, a-and a-a dirty farm pony who likes to play in the mud. I'm a h-high class p-pony who can't be caught dead associating with the l-likes of you. I-if I were s-some pony else, I-I might have been able to be with you, but I'm not." She was flushed scarlet as her gaze faltered away from Apple Bloom. In little more than a whisper, she said, "I'm sorry."

Apple Bloom wanted to say more, but before she could, Diamond Tiara pushed her way out, knocking her down in the process. She watched as the pony fled the scene, at a loss for words to stop her.

From around the corner of the building, two older ponies from a more advanced class were chuckling to themselves. One of them, a red colt with big stature and a stylish blonde mane said snidely, "How the mighty have fallen, eh Butter Scotch?"

The other pony, an orange colt with a violet mane, chuckled in response. "Got that right, Red Vine."

"And tomorrow, we'll crush her for good!" The red colt said with a sinister smile.

Author's Note:

[1]: I didn't know the name of any butlers Diamond Tiara/Filthy Rich would have, so I came up with Humfrey. Hopefully this is sufficient, as he is a minor character anyways. Despite his short appearance in the chapter, I tried to give his actions and lines as much impact as possible.

I am picking up an editor to proof read this story to spot errors in my story. This should reduce the number of errors you all see in every chapter at least somewhat. This chapter should be more heavily edited than the previous ones. I will also go back and edit the first two chapters to reduce the error count in them as well.

The song Diamond Tiara sung my new editor and I constructed together. It was the first song we had done, and we carefully watched our meter to try to come out with the best sounding melody we could get. Well, as much of a melody as you can get from a prose format. I don't usually write fanfics with songs in them; in fact, this is the first one I've ever done now that has any songs in it. There is at least one soft error in it that I know of, but I wasn't super critical with it and I couldn't find a better alternative anyways. Let me know if you can spot the error. :)

We had a lot of fun with the song and with writing this chapter in general. Hopefully you all enjoy it.