• Published 5th Feb 2016
  • 603 Views, 11 Comments

Slices of Button - MichelleTwistaloo



Short, slice of life events of a humanized high school aged Button Mash. A place for me to put my short Button Mash Stories.

  • ...
2
 11
 603

Get Out of the Way, Diamond Tiara!

“Get out of my way! We only have one and a half hours of lunch time and I have to eat, get all the Chaos emeralds and beat all the Stages...and you know how much Labyrinth Zone and Marble Garden Zone are a slug to get through!” - Button’s easily excitable voice drifted through as he pushed Diamond Tiara out of the way, he already had his portable gaming device out of his pocket, and strapped to his wrist , via wrist strap. Thankfully, or it might have just fallen to the ground, as Diamond Tiara was not about to take Button Mash pushing her like that, such a disrespectful thing to do!

“Chaos emeralds...Marble Garden...is he really playing that game about the blue hedgehog?” - She murmured to herself, before extending her arm and pulling towards her. Button, whose eyes had drifted to the screen of the device, nearly fell, and he sighed in annoyance as he was forced to drift his gaze and look at Diamond.

“You don’t get it Diamond Tiara, if I don’t stop the evil Doctor from capturing animals and turning them into robots, using an animal that somehow is more humanized than all the other critters, even though he’s also an animal…”

“Yeah, yeah, total world annihilation, or at least domination, we’ve had this dance before” - Diamond Tiara pushed a strand of her hair from her face, deciding that blowing into it to push it out of the way would be way too undignified for her. She was Diamond Dazzling Tiara, after all, she had to keep herself dignified. And having a single hair strand out of its place? Undignified! Though not as much as what Button was doing. - “It’s not like videogames plots were the main focus of the games, back then...is it? Save the princess, run around and jump. Whooptee freaking pee!”

Button lifted a finger to retort. But he came up short of an answer, what could he say? She was kind of right. After all. He could mention all the great examples that proved otherwise, that rpg with final on its name and which was in the double digits in installments, , That one with time travel, Chrono...something, that one with the sage with the hard to pronounce name and the Master Sword...all of those had a plot that was more than a few lines of dialogue, like “thank you, now do this”. Button played those games for one reason, they were fun, he didn’t really need much of a story, and, in fact, when he was smaller and his voice was even higher pitched he found himself skipping most of it. Mostly because he couldn’t read, but even if he could, he had the notion that he wouldn’t read it.

Button looked at her, his gaze drifting downwards as he admitted defeat, it was just like several spoilerific situations he could think of, or dying in the first stage of a brand new game. Embarrassing! He liked to think of himself as a decent enough gamer...he was Button the Paladin! Button the knight! Button the gamer. Yet he was giving up this easily? It was frustrating to the poor little boy. Though of boy he had little.

Button had grown since he was younger, and had gotten quite a tall and lanky body, though he was still as pale as a corpse, mostly because outside the school to house and home to school path that he did with his eyes on his portable device, he didn’t get much sun. He sat in the back, away from the windows so he could play without being caught, and he spent his break times inside playing. Diamond Tiara didn’t reach much more more than his lips with the top of her head, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t be intimidating.

Diamond Tiara smirked, having had her revenge, she didn’t enjoy causing pain in others, not anymore, she had reformed a lot of years back, but this was, admittedly a pretty dumb subject to be bent over.

She couldn’t stand , however, to see him like that, he looked like a lost and kicked puppy, when in fact all she had said was the truth. She...felt bad for him. It was like these pesky remorses. They always got to her and she hated them.

“Hey there, then...don’t you have to save those animals? Those special stages aren’t going to play themselves...you know the stage rotates and stuff?” - Button barely reacted to what she said, though it might have perked up her interest, if he were paying some more attention. After all, who knew that Diamond Dazzling Tiara was a gamer? Or had played the game before?

“And maybe...maybe I wasn’t being fair…”

Button noticed his device was dangling from his wrists and made a motion to catch it with his other hand, the cheery startup music from the 16 bit game played in a loop, and though it was barely hearable over the motion of people going around them and chatting, it gave a cheeky tone to the whole thing, even if Button was not in the mood to notice it.

“That clown villain in that rpg was pretty was pretty nasty...his plan was devious! and what about The rpg version of the plumber? Clever writing…” - Diamond tried to smile, a weight had formed in her throat, it looked like she had utterly hurt the poor boy. Now, she knew what she said wasn’t inherently that bad...not really, but his reaction, that was causing her serious remorses.

He looked at her, with a gasp she realised he was biting his lips and there was a small trinket of blood where he had bitten with too strength for the fragile skin to hold. But why was that? Was it rage? Contempt? Sadness?

“Those are….no...those are exceptions that prove the rule.” - Button turned around, ready to leave her like that. But she couldn’t leave him be.

“Wait! First of all it’s obvious that story couldn’t be shoved into those cartridges, they had what? 2, 3 megabytes? They had to focus on the gameplay! Which was always very fun, second of all...maybe it’s best...if the blue hedgehog keeps its story simple after all….the next gen version of that game you’re playing, the one in all caps, that I should scream. Bestiality…time travel. And who can forget. Suspect seen heading south, block all major roads and capture the suspect?”

Button looked at Tiara, his eyes widening, he gurgled, then a thin smiled formed, he tried to hold it down, but then he could no more, a loud chuckle came, and then another, and another.

“S...bes...oh, boy, Diamond, that’s really funny…”

Tiara smiled, feeling better for making him feel better.

“Just don’t push me around...hum....Buttonthepaladin”

Button gave her a strange look.

“What?”

“How did y…”

“How did I what?”

“That’s my gaming nickname…” - Realisation came to him…. - “And you knew about the next gen version of the game I’m playing and the kind of special stages, and even rpgs!”

Diamond Tiara smile became shaken, and she started to sweat, she wanted to run back, but there were still people advancing so she’d hit one of them, in fact they were in the middle of the crowd, who had been having to walk around them.

“You are totally a gamer! And you…”

“What that’s ridiculous, me?”

“Yes you! I’ve been getting hits! I should have figured that Dia was you, but I assumed it was a reference to the goddess of day in that obscure game...it’s just the start of your name! Now tell me” - His smile became predatory! - “Shield, wand, or sword?”