• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 334 Views, 5 Comments

Revenge is a dish best served... with friendship? - Grim Rune



When a pony loses everything, it'll take the journey of a life time with help along the way to find out what really matters. This is that pony's quest to find what he is missing and to reconcile the past.

  • ...
 5
 334

Ignorance is never bliss.

The warm day of spring (like most other spring days in Canterlot) is proceeding like normal. The sun beamed down between elegant looking homes and shops, the birds chirped and sang happy tunes in the blue skies, and the breeze, well... it got winded today so was barely there. But, let it be said, nothing could stop Canterlot from being Canterlot as it ever churns on in it's own style even without a spring breeze.

The hustle and bustle of ponies as they strut down the streets with noses in the air, or, as they enter shops to spend their bits on the extravagant; allows them to reveled in their own self importance of being in such a wonderful place on a wonderful day. The highest of high society is what ponies thought of when they thought "Canterlot". Ponies didn't think of the city as merely a place of tall towers and luxury but as the center of all commerce and law in Equestria. No, like most ponies on days like today; Canterlot was where the Fancy Pants and Blue Bloods went to mingle (Literally sometimes) and only as an after thought that the ACTUAL princesses reside in a castle here; do ponies really remember they are in the presence of greatness.

The electricity in the air from the swarming tourist activities lent an almost tangible feeling of importance for most residents. They couldn't resist the added rush and they prance through the crowds on their ways too and fro as if it was completely expected for visitors to gawk and stare. But, on spring days like this, it IS expected on both sides; a little give and take. After all, if you're a lucky enough tourist you'll be here visiting this center of power and influence, surrounded by all these other important ponies, and get the treat of seeing one of the rulers! Or so ponies hoped and THAT is why this group seemed a little bit more unruly than usual as they wander about in slack jawed amazement.

Multicolored guards of black and white stallions are stationed outside the castles perimeter and in front of the main gate. Decked out in all the finely trimmed armor they could display; the royal guards of the sun and moon struggle to bring back normal traffic and begin to herd up the bodies around them so as not to obstruct the road leading into the palace. The tourist begin tourist though; stop and take pictures while blocking walkways in ignorant bliss unintentional causing moment of disharmony. (But even they cant truly halt this breathing city that was carved into the side of a mountain and crowned with a castle. This is Canterlot!)

A few stray guards break from the group of tourist and line up in formation with salutes and pride straightened shoulders. One daring sun stallion soldier steps to the center of the street leading into the castle grounds with a measure and confident stride. The guard/guide placing himself in front of the group clears his throat to get everyponies attention.

"A-HEM!" Starts the guide before seeing all heads turn to him in a sea of eyes. He begins to monotone loudly into a glowing and floating megaphone by his muzzle that helps him project to the gathering. Putting on the typical hardy smile he was born to have and he continues, "We, of the palace guard, thank you for attending this, our noon time exhibition. We hope you enjoy yourselves and learn just a little bit more about what it is to be a loyal subject of Equestria." With a brief pause he turns around on his back hoof and begins to walk towards the lines of guards and open gates.

As the group follows sun stallion in awe he says with a rehearsed grace, "The palace became the seat of power for Equestria when Canterlot was founded back during..." but all to soon his explanation is swallowed up by the noises of everyday life and the guards outside take their typical stations to await the next group. The guide, guards, and the tourist were so caught up in the tour-guide/tourist dynamic that they didn't even see a grey mare flapping by over head on her way quickly towards the castle.

Most ponies know the full story of the formation of Equestria but fewer understand that the seat of power for the nation is a place unlike any other in all of Canterlot, or the world for that matter. In a regally adorn room near it's heart; columns that were carefully chiseled reach high into the distance above like marble sentries and are spaced so that panes of multicolored glass can cascade a light show of past tragedies and victories on the white stone floor below.

As the sun and moon alternate their cycles, the stained glass act as if filled with magic. During the day, the painstakingly constructed windows tell a clearly progressive story of yesteryear with promises of tomorrow, while at night those same images would dance and folic with hidden secretes and new stories of their own. Merely different perspectives of the same events for the most part.
The walls to either side of column or window are also decorated; usually with a tapestry or some other type of ornamental covering, so that the room wouldn’t chill past that of a crisp fall morning and remain comfortable for the sovereigns and guest alike.
After all, the long red carpet leading from the overly ornate and huge double doors to a throne of solid gold would be awe inspiring enough even without one of its owners staring down from above; that no pony should have to suffer shivering in the cold of surrounding stone is to be expected.

The throne itself is cast to stand three heights above the normal visitor, not to intimidate, but in a crowded audience to allow all to see the rulers of the land as they preside. To either side of the main chair is a platform to which the non-presiding princess or guest can comfortably be stationed and below that level; two ever flowing fountains of clear water that sparkles like diamonds lends an appearance that the throne is more like an alter to the Gods and meant to be bow and scraped at than just the comfortable chair it is.

Today however, there is no audience to gaze lovingly at the throne, nor is there functions other than the mundane tasks of statehood to be done here, so all the glimmer and glam is merely wasted on the beautiful and graceful figure that sits on its cushions. With a mane cascading in an ever blowing flow of hues that is only tamed with the gold crown on her head just behind her impressively long horn; the white mare alicorn hums to herself. That emblem of the sun on her flank; her cutie mark, sure doesn't mean she's the musically inclined type but the melody is haunting all the same in the empty halls. Briefly she pauses as another scroll is tossed to the side and is replaced before her. Celestia stares down at the backs of her two identical looking personal guards in contemplation. The guards; her only company today, look more like statues and living beings as they go about their duties as they guard her standing steadfast and loyal like always. She thinks she may have to remedy that but when the moment passes she allows herself to get back to work and saves that thought for another time.

Princess Celestia is one of the strongest in magic and simple tasks she can carry on with out even second thought. Nearby, a scroll unfurls in front of her under at the command of her glowing magic’s direction and she begins reading the words while a floating plate and fork that is surrounded in a similarly soft golden light hovers in place off to her side. The center of the magically floating white disk is a slice of confectionery artwork that is a sample of what is to be offered at the upcoming Gala and looks to be made from the richest of chocolate and the smoothest of creams.

Daintily, Celestia takes a bite of the treat from the fork and the delicately filled cake body dissolves in her mouth as it assaults her tongue with passionate kisses. She closes her eyes, savoring the balanced taste as it rolls over her and the cake elicits a savory sigh of approval after she swallows.

“It would seem the bakers have outdone themselves this time.” Celestia says to herself as well trained eyes scan another parchment that replaces the previous one that was before her.

The guards remaining at attention below the throne don’t so much as twitch an ear as they stoically stand at attention in their designated spots and ignore the princess’s love of cake and comments there in. They're veterans of the Royal Guard and already well know Celestia’s love of sugary delicacies. Even as the magically enhanced armor attempts to hide their embarrassment and rose filled cheeks under a vale of illusion; they stand vigilant and proud looking like the twin killing machines they were trained to be and await action or command and most importantly... without reacting.

Pausing and thinking to herself after many seconds of “sampling” the cake, Celestia fails to notice that the floating fork scraps across an empty plate until she is pulled from her readings by the sudden deafening scrape. She turns to regard the fork accusingly with a glaring scowl as if IT, the fork, was the reason there was no more cake on the plate. Tsk Tsk.

Setting the empty plate aside on her hoof-rest; she allows the parchment she was reading to roll back up into its shape and go off to the side where a small stack (labeled finish) is collecting. It's mostly just requests for audiences, inquiries about the Grand Galloping Gala, and offers at courtship. Typical mare-day afternoon type busy work really. She even already penned a reply to the last one before she noticed what she was doing and sent it on its way in response with a poof of magical teleportation.

Suddenly the doors to the throne room burst inward as they are thrown aside violently. A gray mare Pegasus flaps her way clumsily inside the room followed by calls and shouts of, “Hey! You can’t go in there!” and “No audiences without authorization, grab her!”, by the guards outside as they stumble across one another to stop her. Much like the personal Royal Guards inside, that now lower horns that glow menacingly at the intruder, the guards outside look to be the same white stallion as if they were quadruplets; the same but flustered that is; as they chase after their flying adversary.

At first, the alicorn princess is startled and taken aback by a thought of possible harm to herself but then she smiles knowingly as she recognizes her guest. Holding up a hoof at the racing guards and to get the attention of all in the room she clears her throat before speaking. “It’s OK, my little ponies. The esteemed mail-mare is always welcome in this room as she carries the burdens of many a pony with her.”

The guards skid to a halt behind the gray mare as she lands panting before the throne and Royal personal guard. Blinking in surprise at the reaction of her, whom they are supposed to protect; the guards exchange glances at each other in bewilderment before they notice that the other two guards stationed in front of the mail-mare had yet to lower their magically charged horn.

Stammering in protest a guard that was chasing the intruder says in exasperation, “B..b.. but Princess, She burst in here after destroying a window down the hallway that she used as an entrance! She proceeded to destroy one of the vases sent by the griffon kingdom! She’s dangerous and a menace! She's obviously an assassin in disguise meaning to do you harm and wreck the castle, my lady. The mail courier service would never higher somepony… somepony so, so…” and as if searching for the right word the guard blurts out, “So Ditzy!”

A small frown creases the Princesses mouth and the speaking guard knows he was out of line which causes him to swallow hard against the ball of fear that lodges in his throat. Lowering his head he continues apologetically, “be..be..begging your pardon my highness if your protection from her was not needed and I was out of line.” Then he cast his eyes to the ground sorrowfully.

Celestia did not scold him, as he would have expected from a displeased unofficial goddess, when he saw that frown but in her softest and gentlest voice she addresses him. “That is not all I assure you. It is truly admirable that you take your duties as a guard to the royal house so seriously and I know my life is in good hoof. However, it disappoints me that you call this honorable mail carrier a derogatory term that her friends actually often use in affection. Using it that way with a negative bite could hurt her feelings and she doesn’t deserve that. Please, in the future, try not label something just because you want to make a point. It’s unbecoming and I know that you are better than that.” She smiles down radiantly at the two guards that followed the mare from outside and concludes in dismissal to both. “You may go.”

The one that spoke out of line and in anger feels his shame like heavy stones that wrap about his neck as he looks at the panting mail mare. He didn’t mean to be, well, mean. He just wanted to express to the princess that she could be in danger because the guards, much like all the ponies of Equestria, loved the princesses so much and he hadn’t wanted Celestia to be injured or worse.

The second guard that was with the speaker merely turns and exits quickly while leaving behind his partner, the mail-mare, and the two other personal guards to sort things out with the princess. He’s glad he was able to hold his own accusations in, even if his partner couldn’t, but also feels a bit of the shame because he too was ready to sling accusations at the mare intruder.

The front royal guards relax their aggression towards the pegasus intruder; figuring this event no longer needs their attention.

After a few seconds of indecision the speaker guard trots towards the throne with head lowered, steps around the mare he verbally attacked, and looks her dead in the golden shimmering wall-eyes. (Those eyes are actually pretty), he may one day admit but for now...

“I apologize for the name calling. I was…” he bites his bottom lip as the confusing mare tilts her head questioningly at him with a smile and he feels the eyes of his mistress on his back filled with expectation. He continues after the brief struggle with his speaking skills, “Out of line.” Then to simplify things he says again, “I’m sorry for calling you names Ms.” finishing flatly to her with his ears pivoting back in sadness and he looks down once more; no longer able to hold that adorable stare of hers.

The young mail-mare with a grey coat and bubble cutie mark on her hind quarters, giggles at the guard in front of her as her eyes shift position; one up, one down. Before the guard can wince because she was laughing at him and his shame; the mare turns to her overloaded bag that is strapped to her side with her mouth digging out something.

(She can’t even look at me. She’s laughing at me and the apology I made. She must be so happy the princess corrected me like that after what I’d done. I bet I get relieved of duty.) Is what he is thinking as he closes his eyes and heaves a heavy sigh.

Unbeknownst to him though, behind his back the Princess merely covers her titter of glee with a hoof to muzzle at this solders discomfort and the actions of the mare.

The guard that is giving his most heartfelt regrets to the courier is surprised as he smells an overwhelming scent right before him. Opening his eyes, he jerks back in shock and stares at the offering that smells of blueberries right under where his nose was before him and clutched tenderly in the hoof of the mail-mare.

“Here!” smiles the mare as she offers the guard a gift. “Everyone loves muffins and you were just scared for the Princess. I know you didn’t mean it. You’re a nice stallion that loves the princess a lot and was just doing his job like me. I'm Derpy Hooves and I'm glad to meet ya!”

The guard doesn’t even know what to say as his heart skips a beat and his magic gentle takes hold of the blueberry muffin from the hoof of this wonderful, albeit clumsy, blond mare named Derpy. The breakfast treat hovers before his nose as he inhales deeply and feels the shame just melt away at her forgiveness and muffin-y gift.

(This simple, googly-eyed, bubbly, gray, mare Derpy that I was about to throttle for her unintentional actions, that I called a mean name out of exasperation, and that I...that I…) , the Guard swallows hard and cant even think straight any more.

In a daze and with a meek “thank you” he stumbles around the mare and heads for the exit he was dismissed to. Thankfully the illusion spell covers all of his blushing except where his ears poke from the centurion helmet. Those ears have turned from pure white to bright pink. So lost in thought and the sweet smell of his gift that he didn’t even pardon himself from the presence of Celestia.

“Ah, the power of friendship at work.” Muses Celestia to herself as she watches her possibly smitten guard stumble away from the scene of the crime.

Now with normalcy being restored, the doors closed again and the personal guards snap to attention back in their previous stance, the princess is ready to continue her duties. The only new addition to the day is the mail-mare standing before her seat and waiting; Derpy with the goofy smile that melts the hearts of soldiers.

Waving a hoof over to Derpy, Celestia beckons her to come forward knowing that whatever caused the uproar must be important. Without a word the princess watches the mare trot up to her as if it was the most natural thing in the world for them to come together as friends; So much for stations and protocol.

“My dear little pony, Derpy Hooves. It’s a pleasure to see you again. What brings you to Canterlot with such a,” pausing to suppress a laugh at the antics that just happened before her then she continues, “Momentous entrance? It must be important for you personally to come all the way here from Ponyville to see me. Normally, you would just give this to the Royal Mail Clerk at the train station.”

“Wow, you know my name?” Derpy chirps wide eyed at Celestia in question. Derpy shaking her head in wonder (we've only met a few times) but quickly she then turns back to her satchel to fish around with her mouth for something she remembers was important.

A few moments pass before a neatly folded envelope is produced and Derpy allows Celestia’s magic to take it from her. The envelope is an odd thing that is seldom seen since scrolls are the normal way to send correspondence. Actually envelopes are normally only used overseas where weather can easily ruin paper and the envelope acts as a secondary barrier against the elements when the letter cant be teleported; its rather novel concept.

The mail-mare then explains, “This letter was actually sent a loooong time ago but somehow got lost.”

It was then that the princess noticed the unmistakable scent of muffin batter wafting from the paper and a few stains on the white enclosure to the letter that hovers before her, but, she paid it no mind as Derpy continues.

“The letter was found finally and as a mail-mare I ALWAYS make sure the mail is delivered.” Says the young pegasus as she straightens up a little in pride and her wings ruffle in joy but almost like a light switch she looks down cast. “Sorry it took so long though.”

Shaking her own head the princess beams at her subject in admiration of a job well completed. “It wasn’t your intention to delay the mail, of that, I am sure. You did us an excellent service by taking responsibility and delivering it personally. Thank you, Derpy. You do your station credit.”

As if an explosion of pure happiness went off all over Derpy’s face, her eyes light up and her cheeks blush under the expanding pressure of an intense smile. She flies quickly up to embrace the Princess which only makes the stationed guards grumble but still hold their place below.

“Oh thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!! That means SO MUCH to me! I was worried cause it took so long but now I can get back to everypony's mail without worry!” gushes the mare.

Patting Derpy on the back with a gold clad hoof as best as Celestia can as the excited mare presses in with abandon, the alicorn allows the hug and nuzzles back at the pegasus with a grin. Just as quickly the moment is over though and the grey mail-mare turns about to flitter on her way while humming a happy tune and no doubt ready to get back to her job.

Without word Celestia helps by opening the doors and allowing the mare to exit before turning back to her delivery.

When the room is cleared Celestia rips open the envelopes seal with a bit of her magic and says to herself with a chuckle, “My, how official looking. A wax seal AND signet impression. Not to mention all the international transfer stamps. I hope this wasn’t something that needed doing right away.” But to her credit she doesn’t remember getting any complaints or grumbling dignitaries from this house so it must be OK.

The letter unfolds under her manipulations and she begins to read:

To Their Royal Highnesses: The Princesses of Equestria,

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna; we hope this letter has found you both well after its long journey.

It has come to our attention that an outbreak has occurred within our borders of a most severe nature and we are in dire need of your assistance. Though we are currently investigating ways in which our efforts to eradicate the problem on our own may prevail; Time is of the essence and the situation grave.

We believe the dark empire of false Queen Chrysalis is attempting to siphon off our populous as the hive reforms far from your immediate sights and in these distant lands. We have little proof of this other than a few stray drones that have been captured disguised as servants, which were promptly imprisoned, and then just as quickly, mysteriously vanished from our cells. We are cautious so sent this request.

We also regret to mention the disappearance of family and friends that I, personally, held dear; that could be related to this directly or indirectly.

As your humble servants, we are taught to be gracious host but we feel being used as a “pit stop” along the way is rather rude, not to mention that raiding and/or killing the ponies of my province is a horror no families therein should have to suffer.

Please your highness-es, we implore you to send assistance as soon as possible even with the knowledge that this correspondence could take months to reach you. We have no dragons nearby nor the spells strong enough to send this simple missive overseas, so we will hold onto the hope that help arrives and it is not be too late.

The fear and distrust grows daily as do the dwindling numbers of my village, so please help.

I have the honor to remain, Your Highnesses’ most humble and obedient subject,

-Lord Neutral Knowledge

After rereading the letter once more the princess of Equestria and ruler of the sun gasps and rears back in shock and dismay from the letter like it was a striking viper. This certainly WAS in need of attention right away.

Without meaning to, Celestia executes the Canterlot voice and commands, “Guards! Fetch me Luna and assemble a squad of our fastest flyers from both our forces to be sent and investigate this matter immediately. My sister will understand me taking from her personal units but I must inform her and hope it is not too late to help!”

Quickly one of the guards salutes when it snaps around to his commander and chief then turning again it runs for the doors at full gallop.

Celestia helplessly watches him go and begins the painful task of awaiting her sister to show; whom most likely is asleep as Princess Luna is the night and it's currently Celestia’s daytime.

It doesn’t take long for the alternate princess to pop into existence before the throne and to her sisters aid but before she can even pose the question Celestia interrupts her and explains the letter feverishly with much hoof waving and unbecoming panic.

Celestia is not upset that the Queen has found a new victim per say, but that now it could very well be all too late to help her subjects in their darkest hour. Now that she thinks on it, since no representative showed up to ask why Celestia never responded to the letter, she figures it could only mean one of two things.

“Sister,” Celestia regains her composure and intones in her softer voice to the midnight black mare princess with the shimmering starlit sky for a mane and crescent moon cutie mark. “I fear either we are too late or now unneeded. Either way I may need you to search the dreams of the people of this region in hopes they still survive. I know it would be a strain at such a long distance and have to perform your duties on top of that could have dire effects, so, with your permission I would like to take this night's moon tonight.”

Luna nods her head in agreement and paws at the floor in irritation. Need Celestia even ask? Luna trust her completely. It is so obvious in fact that Luna states matter-of-factly (still in the Canterlot voice which she cant help to use when excited), “We also agree on this course of action sister. Thou shalt not needs worry over this trifle. We shall use all at our disposal to ensure the safety of thine and mine subjects, as is our duty. We know thou wilt relinquish the moon back to us on the morrow if all goes well.”

Without additional words, Luna leans in and wraps her neck partially around Celestia’s in a loving pony-sister hug. The contrast of white and black, of night and day, of what once was yin and yang; hold on to each other and draw power and strength from one another in preparations of the tasks to come.

Luna had once, not to long ago, been banished to the moon for her arrogance by Celestia. It’s a well-known story of misunderstandings, jealousy and greed, but also of redemption and love; for the two sisters were isolated from one another for a thousand years because of this and each suffered in turn.

Celestia had been tasked to raise both night and day from the moment Luna was cast to the heavens and exiled to the moon. But since Luna’s return and new found understanding of her position the princesses agreed not directly get involved with one another's station and with forgiveness; power over the night was restored to Luna. The two sisters also agreed that they loved and trusted each other too much to allow past mistakes to happen again.

Now however, after Luna had departed to make ready for her dream-trot to this far off land Celestia finds herself alone again and staring out from a balcony to the waning sun; having spent the day in worry and trying to prepare her self for tonight. It was never easy to project her magic and control two celestial bodies at once unlike two smaller objects like a scroll and fork. The sun dipping into the horizon and the moon rising and setting over the opposite end of Equestria was the equivalent in pain and strain to a night at one of Pinkie Pie’s hard cider parties and the aftermath it caused.

Celestia’s head throbbed without mercy and seems ready to explode at any moment even as she completes her spells. The sweat that drips from her efforts; bead up on her regal brow before sliding into her eyes briefly blinding her. Thankfully, when her sight returns she sees several shapes take flight from the courtyard below and zoom into the night with all the speed possible and finds it a welcome sight that makes the pains worth it.

To the guards taking flight with all haste that vanish quickly from her vision and to her sister that is currently across the way in another high tower that could not possible hear her, Celestia begs, “Please hurry, and don’t let it be too late.”