• ...
3
 0
 679

Chapter 1- Come with me now

Starlight’s Return
Chapter 1

Vinyl Scratch

The world in front of my purple shades ebbed and flowed with every beat I input into my mixing station. The room was lost to me, my friends spoke but I didn’t hear any of it. I held one headphone tight against my head as I worked my newest track. There was something missing, I even asked my older brother, Long Play, for advice and he had only told me to add instrumental diversity, and that was something the rules of Vinyl did not approve of.

I saw two tinted grey hands reach in front of my glasses and pull them off my face. I slipped my headphones down around my neck and saved my progress on the piece. “Tavi what do you want?” I asked a smile on my face.

“Tell Bon Bon that it was her fault that I was late to class yesterday.” She demanded. The scowl on her face faded as she talked to me and her tone softened.

“She didn’t do anything wrong, even her technical knowhow is stretched sometimes.” Lyra said aggressively.

“Calm down, calm down.” a cerise haired girl said as she stepped out of the makeshift kitchen we had. ”Bon Bon finally has the intercom and bell system hooked up out here so we don’t miss class again.” She said handing out a Root Beer to each of us.

“Thanks, Berry, but Vinyl is partial to ‘Tavi’s’ opinion as Lyra is to mine.” Bon Bon said looking at Lyra and me, a certain amount of emphasis when she said my nickname for Octavia. She froze as what Berry said sank in and she snapped “BERRY PUNCH that was my surprise!”

“Woah woah, what is going on out here!?” A girl wearing a leather jacket said as she walked into our little hangout. The light coming in was bright and lit up the room more than the one *dirty* window we had. I saw a pile of Lyra’s mangas off in the corner each one probably being read for the millionth time. Octavia’s cello case was open but the only thing that was out was the bow.

Lyra started pulling Bon Bon off of Berry and calming her down. They were both laughing it off and walking over towards our visitor. Between a guest bursting in and Bon Bon’s unexpected anger, Octavia had passed out in my arms. I half pushed – half carried her over to the couch and walked to our guest. “Well well well, if it isn’t the reformed Sunset Shimmer. Let me guess, you need my help.” I said walking over to her.

“Hello Vinyl.” She said with a sneer. “Yes we need a track to send me and The Rainbooms off to Equestria. We’re going as foreign dignitaries I was requested by Celestia herself.” She said flippantly.

“Who is Celestia and why is she important” I replied.

“CELESTIA IS THE PRINCESS!” She screamed.

“Then who is the queen?”

“There is no queen.”

I put on my best impression of Octavia. “Well that is errant dodge of responsibly.”

“How do you know what that means?!”

“I don’t, Tavi just says that pretty frequently about teachers.”
”Nevermind that we’re having a going away party, and you are invited- well you are the entertainment,” she had air quotes around that.

My mood lightened, now she was talking. I hadn’t had a gig in months. Then again, The Rainbooms had stolen most of those. Even Lyra and Bon Bon don’t get piano requests in waiting rooms any more. Even if it was Sunset I couldn’t refuse a gig that would put me back in the public eye. ”Hell Yeah I’ll put on some music.” I said enthusiastically already putting together a track list in my head. I could hear the choir of angels.

“On one condition I get a D.J. PON-3 exclusive song. Wouldn’t wanna seem like I hired a one trick pony.” She said with her usual tact. I heard a classic record scratch stop the choir only to turn around and see pink hair at my turntables scratching an Angel Choir track she must’ve brought herself.

“Neato!” She turned around and I saw a massive smile splayed across her face. She took the record off the platter and threw it in her hair.

“Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyoooooooooooooo Pinkie Pie what’s up?” I said giving her a fist bump and a high five.

“Long time no see Vinyl. So you’re handling our going away gig at the party tonight. That’s like… the absoposolutely best news I’ve heard today.” She took a deep breath and I knew I was in trouble.”MaybeI’llevenscratchonthetableswithyouforthefirsttimesincethefreshmanfairandwe’llhavethebesttimeeverandw” Lyra was quick to put a hand over her mouth and quick to remove it.

“Ugh, you LICKED my hand.” Lyra screamed quickly wipingher hands off on her shirt. Pinkie giggled and skipped off over to Sunset.

“Tonight will actually be bearable with you there tonight.” I said. She pulled a cupcake out of nowhere and ate as they walked off to the Statue in front of the school.

Sunset’s words sank in after the door closed.”She said I need a new piece by tonight!!!!!!” I screamed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat at home in front of my computer inputting beats at random. Nothing sounded good with the solid base rhythm I had set up. I couldn’t find anything that resonated with me. “ Vinyl is this all you do to make a new piece. I’d like to help but I need to practice my Cello.” Octavia said as she proceeded and get up to leave for her room.

“Why doesn’t you’re girlfriend ever go home?” My brother said as he entered the room.

“I’ve told you this before.” I said quickly. I put on my best impression of Octavia’s Mom “Her mother does not approve of this behavior.”

"Oh yeah you should probably just put that on a note. Ya know how forgetful you’re bi-“ I cut him off before he got emotional. My ears caught an interesting chord coming from down the hall. “Hey I wa-“

“Shutup… listen to that melody.” I said holding up a finger his face. I slippedmy purple shades over my eyes and headed down the hallway to Octavia’s room. The melody was definitely originating from there. “ Octi what is that piece called? I think I know what to do with my new track.”

We pulled up to the school in my custom built white convertible. Octavia sat next to me one hand on my shoulder. Long sat in back reading over lyrics that I had put together last minute. “ Are you sure you want me to sing? I haven’t sung in ages and even then it wasn’t good.” Long Play said unsure of himself.

“And this piece you want me to play is unfinished how do you expect me to play it.” Octavia said holding up her sheet music concerned. I took the piece from her and drew a repeat sign at the end of the set of notes I liked. Octavia’s mouth dropped “Vinyl I didn’t know you could read music?!”

“I can I just don’t like to all the notes run together and I get frustrated. I used to play Piano but after I broke a few keys my band director threw me out of class.” I replied.

“Oh, I never imagined you actually playing an instrument.”

“Ok, ok enough backstory. Get your cello out of the trunk I’m about to transform this into a D.J’s dream.”
She went and got her cello case out of the back and walked around to the side and began unpacking. I pressed a button on the dash and in an instant my car transformed into a mixing station not even the best D.J.’s can afford. My monogrammed deck shined the electric blue picking up the last hints of sunlight. “Wowee you really know how to make an entrance don’t ya.” Pinkie pie said hanging off my hanging off my speakers above my head.

“Yeah, it’s pretty sweet. I try not to brag but I got new subwoofers put in and they sound deafening when I get em’ crankin’.” I said enthusiastically. I cracked out a vinyl record of the bass sounds I needed in order to get the sound I need.
I heard a tapping on a microphone. “Before we go I’ve a got a special surprise worked up. Welcome D.J. PON-3.” Sunset said dramatically.
I cued Octavia to start playing her music. She put her bow up to the Cello. My stage lights glinted off her charcoal black hair. She started playing her music but was interrupted by a disgruntled Twilight being thrown through the Portal. Her hair was disheveled and before she could say anything she jumped back in and was thrown right back through.

“Ya’ okay sugarcube?” Applejack said as she walked over to Twilight hand extended gesturing to pull her up. Twilight refused and tried to go back into the portal.

“Twilight, darling you can’t just go back in.” Rarity begged as she pulled Twilight back from the portal. All anyone heard was a mumble about stars and glitter or something like that. The Crystal Prep students that had been invited just stood there mouths gaping. I guess they had never seen the portal ripple or spit someone out before.
Octavia dropped her bow on the ground and I, out of pure reflex, did a scratch gag. Sunset looked away from Twilight for a moment and glared at me. I assumed it was for the scratch but it could also be for stopping the music.

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed this as much as I have had writing it. All thanks to my wonderful editor Kristen.:twistnerd::yay: