• Published 17th Jan 2016
  • 464 Views, 0 Comments

Family Origins #1- Canterlot and Froggy Bottom Bog - DaisyDaedal



The origin story of how a pony's parents met predating the events of season one

  • ...
 0
 464

Part 2

Family Origins

Canterlot and Froggy Bottom Bog Part 2

by Daisy Daedal

The summer sun stunningly shone down onto Ponyville, invigorating the ponies below. The young ponies raced through the park, drank lemonade, ate ice cream, swam in bodies of water, and generally enjoyed the pleasant afternoon weather. Although many of the adult ponies didn't have a summer holiday, the warmth in the air made everypony kinder.

Most of the adults were buzzing with excitement - Granny Smith’s son and town hero was marrying his Manehattan sweetheart in a few days, and every pony in Ponyville had been invited. Rumor had abounded that even their Sun Princess was due to appear, as she too was a friend of the Apple family.

Rain Puddle hated them all. The tawny pony was hanging out with his oat-colored brother and his brother's wife Reed inside a small apartment Rain Puddle rented. Reed grew up in The Froggy Bottom Bog playing with Croc Tooth and his siblings. When she apprenticed under their grandmother, she even moved in, so she was very close with their entire family.

They were crowded together in the kitchen/living room/bedroom (the bed was pulled down from the wall when he needed to sleep). Reed was automatically tidying up the dishes and straightening papers Rain Puddle hadn’t found time to take care of himself. There was a lot of housekeeping he hadn’t done; repainting the peeling paint on the walls, patching the leak in the roof, replacing the broken tiles in his bathroom. It would’ve been nice to live in a cleaner place, but Rain Puddle always thought his writing had been more important.

He was a freelance reporter for Ponyville’s newspaper and even gotten stories and poems published in the paper before. It was why his walls were covered in newspaper clippings of his work. His favorites were framed, but most were just taped up.

His favorite poem- the one that got him his Cutie Mark after it was published in his old school’s Foal Free Press- was framed above his desk that was across from the kitchen only ten feet away. The green mare tidied had the papers that had been stacked haphazardly on every spare space- even on his new typewriter. She had even found his quill and ink once it was straightened- and emptied the overflowing trash can of crumpled paper next to the desk.

Papers weren’t only on the desk- they spread to his small coffee-stained sofa, the kitchen counters, and even the floor. If Reed didn’t generally like cleaning, Rain Puddle probably would’ve been lost in a mound of loose writing paper and newspapers.

Of all the newspapers in the room, Croc Tooth sat reading the most current one at the small round table squeezed into the kitchen, his expression gaining more malevolence with each word he read. Finally he crushed the newspaper into a ball with his forehooves.

“Can you believe it? The Princess has time to visit a wedding, but no time to help us save our livelihood,” He growled.

“It is just a rumor”, Reed tried to comfort.

“A rumor that got my article knocked out of the paper,” Rain Puddle muttered. Critics raved about his down to earth perspective and passionate feelings, but his words had been rejected for the first time by his editor for being too biased. It was true that the subject of the story this time was nearest and dearest to his heart - his home at Froggy Bottom Bog. He didn't live there now, but most of the ponies that were his home to him did. Rain Puddle couldn’t focus on writing another article like his editor wanted. Word had to get out about what was going on at the Bog, and he just had to think of a way not to be censored.

He sat on the large windowsill next to his desk, glaring down at the happy ponies below him. Mayor Care cared more about keeping the Ponyville ponies happy than worrying about ponies at the edge of the bog that were, technically, squatting. The mayor had provided housing- with the help of Ponyville residents- for those who had lost their homes, but it wasn't a long term solution. There certainly wasn't another bog nearby where Croc Tooth and their families could raise their large, dangerous reptiles.

“What rumor?” a voice next to Rain Puddle in the window asked. Rain Puddle had been so busy glaring in one spot he had missed the green pegasus colt fly up next to him. Dragonfly was still in school, but he already had a cutie mark for being the youngest Pegasus his age to hover in place the longest. Though, the puberty had made his wings larger than average probably helped.

“Dragonfly!” Reed greeted. “Would you like a cookie?”

“That depends,” the colt answered coyly. “Will you eat the other end at the same time?” Reed smiled and raided Rain Puddle’s cookie jar, taking out a cookie and placing it on a plate. She passed it to the colt who ate it with relish. The preteen Pegasus had begun noticing mares, and his hormones tended to make the charismatic colt flirt a lot with them. It annoyed his family that he didn't seem to care for fillies his own age.

“Go home, squirt, we're talking about adult stuff here, Croc Tooth insisted prickly.

“But it's so depressing at home”, dragonfly whined. “Can't I hang out here?”

“We’re trying to think of a way fix the home situation,” Rain Puddle explained. “If only the newspaper had printed my article, I'm sure many ponies would be willing to help us.”

“What if we printed out the article on a flyer? I could fly all over the place and pass them out.”

“That might not be such a bad idea,” Rain Puddle mused.

It’s very clever of you,” Reed praised her littlest brother in-law.

“I guess it couldn't hurt,” Croc Tooth relented.

The newspaper where Rain Puddle worked wouldn’t let them use their printing press due to some “bureaucratic nonsense”, so under the mid afternoon sun the Bog dwellers headed for Ponyville schoolhouse without Reed, who had some housework she wanted to get back to at home. Dragonfly currently was on the school’s paper, so he could get them access to the printing press in its basement.

School had been an ongoing argument between their parents, and their grandfather Croc Bait. Croc Bait didn't see the point if they were just going to inherit their family wrangling business. Taming alligators and crocodiles didn't need reading and writing. Their father Gator Bait had been taught to read later in life by their mother Monsoon, he and wanted the children to experience the things he had missed out on. The adults eventually came to the compromise that their kids would go for basic reading and arithmetics, and any further education would be each of their kids’ choices. Rain Puddle had stayed for a good long time until he started getting paid for the poems and articles he wrote for Ponyville’s paper, so the schoolhouse had good memories for him.

His brother, Croc Tooth, left school as soon as he could.

“Are you done yet?” He grumbled as he stood near the school house’s basement door and twitched his tail restlessly.

“There are only a few more flyers to go”, Dragonfly chirped.

“What, you don't want to stay longer? Bet the Teach would be glad to let you sit in on a class or two,” Rain Puddle teased. His elder brother arched his back, puffed up his chest and stomped his hooves until he was close enough for his face to be inches away from his younger brother’s smirking one. They were the same height, but Croc Tooth’s spiky hair and muscles from manual labor would seem more intimidating to a stranger.

“You cruisin for a bruisin?” Croc Tooth threatened. Rain puddle smiled cockily, and kissed his brother on the nose.

“No, you know me - I'm too delicate.”

“You -!” Croc Tooth began to shout as Rain Puddle darted away.

“All done!” Dragonfly interrupted, cheerfully unaware of his brothers’ arguement. “How should we pass them out?”

“That can wait until tomorrow - it'll be dark pretty soon, AND you know Ma doesn't like any pony traveling through the Everfree Forest after dark. Croc Tooth pointed out. The Pegasus looked at his older brothers with dismay.

“But we just got all this done! I want to get started!”

“He’s right,” Rain Puddle agreed. “This can wait ‘till first thing in the morning.”

“Meet up at the coffee shop? Croc Tooth suggested

“Sounds like a good plan.”


Rain Puddle didn't head straight back to his apartment. Despite what is he said to his brothers, he really wanted to get started right away. He planned to pass out flyers at the Ponyville train station before the last train came. Ponies preparing for the wedding from Canterlot commuted back and forth and he thought that if he got a flier to an outgoing pony they could get word to The Princess somehow.

Rain Puddle strolled under the long shadows cast by the cottages lining Ponyville streets, passing the same familiar faces he saw everyday. The average Ponyville pony seemed to sense danger from him. Sure, he had been taught how to wrangle reptiles with the rest of his siblings before he found his special talent for writing, and his family had always been a few heartbeats away from poverty, but he didn’t think he acted any different from any other pony on the street.

He tried to pass out flyers to ponies that passed by, but they all gave him a wide berth. The only ponies he knew well and would listen to him were the ones he went to school with, but none seemed to be in the immediate area. He didn't press it, as he knew he had limited time to catch the last train, but it was hard to ignore the disappointment creeping in. Tomorrow he'd work harder to get them to listen.

In the distance ahead, he heard a train whistle and saw the train pulling towards the station. he tucked the flyers into his saddlebag and galloped to be there in time to catch it. The train station had a small building for buying tickets and a short platform for ponies to get on and off of. On one side was a two story office for the train employees, and on the other side was a small tree that was as tall as the ticket office. Somehow the train always made the platform seem bigger. Standing on the platform Rain Puddle wheezed, catching his breath so he could speak to the ponies waiting for the doors to open.

“Last train to Canterlot, all aboard!” the conductor shouted.

The train doors gusted open and murmuring ponies stepped off and on. Still breathing heavily, he scrambled to get his flyers out again so at least he could pass out the fliers, but it seemed he’d been too late. Looking up again, the setting sun momentarily blinded him. A pony shape stepped in front of it, causing the edges of the figure seem to glow.

It was a tall slim mare with light green fur and a dark green mane with orange streaks. On her body was a dark blue calico dress that matched the color of her eyes. It was patterned with red stripes and flowers, and covered her back legs and tail. She smiled at him, and a chill went down Rain Puddle’s spine. It was like he had seen a ghost.

“Rain Puddle?” the apparition asked him. Jaw already agape, he asked,

“Birdie?”

“Oh, it is you!” The mare briefly hugged Rain Puddle, and she smelt like a touch of floral perfume. He tried to act like the brief contact hadn’t left him weak in the knees. The Mare brought back feelings he hadn't felt in years.

“You dropped off the face of the planet, there - why wait until now to visit?”

Bird of Paradise looked sad, leaving Rain Puddle in agony over his word choice. She was a virtual stranger, so why did she affect his emotions so easily? It didn't seem fair.

“Hey mister, leave her alone,” a young tenor voice said behind him. The stern looking blue unicorn colt was about the same age as Dragonfly, which to Rain Puddle ruined any intimidation factor he might have had.

“It's okay, Bluey, Rain Puddle here is an old friend. Rain Puddle, may I introduce my younger brother, Blue Bird.”

“It's a pleasure,” the colt said in a distrustful tone. The train whistle announced its departure, and Rain Puddle realized he hadn't even passed out fliers to the ponies that had arrived. While he was talking to Birdie, many of the ponies visiting Ponyville had already left the station or were leaving.

“I have to go,” he said.

“Oh, can I buy you dinner? I really owe you an explanation and it's a bit of a long story,” Birdie pleaded. Rain Puddle felt his cheeks flush. Was she asking him out? Sure the mare was attractive, but he still felt bitter that she had never visited.

“We need to get our luggage to the flower mares' house,“ Blue Bird complained loudly . sure enough, the colt had a cart behind him with three large crates stacked on top of each other and a couple of carpet bags on top of that. Rain Puddle winced at this accident waiting to happen, but then again, they were unicorns who could catch any falling items with their magic if they needed to.

“That is true,” Birdie relented. “Would you meet me for breakfast, in that case? I'd really like to catch up with you.”

“I actually have a really busy-” Rain Puddle started to excuse himself, but the disappointment in the mare’s eyes was heartbreaking. “Tell you what - if you and the kid help me tomorrow, I'll be able to have lunch with you.”

“What do you want us to do?” Blue Bird asked suspiciously. Rain Puddle gave them each a flyer.

“I want help passing out these.” Bird of Paradise’s eyes grew wide as she read it.Hydra Invades Froggy Bottom Bog!

Last winter's floods have brought a hydra into the bog, and the natives have been terrified ever since. Since Hydras usually only need the company of their own heads, they are solitary, but carnivorous. So far, it hasn't eaten anything larger than a pike, but ponies worry that it's only a matter of time before they become its prey. Efforts to chase it off have led to territorial rampages, since the Hydra has been known to chase ponies back to Bog Town and destroy many homes. Mayor Care of Ponyville has organized temporary housing in town to the bog refugees, but no help has come either from Ponyville or Canterlot to actually face the menace of the bog. Ponies are losing homes that their families have had for generations, and they need your help to save them. If enough voices come together, the ponies in power will listen. Please help save the Bog!

“Oh no! Rain Puddle, is your family okay?”

“Yeah. The house is still standing, and thankfully most of my siblings and I have moved out. Sea Mist lives with her wife in Cloudsdale, Spiral Shell is selling her shell necklaces in Las Pegasus, and Petunia, as you'll soon find out, is apprenticed under the flower mares now. Unfortunately, my folks and grand folks are too stubborn to leave even temporarily - they can't keep alligators just anywhere. Of course Croc Tooth is married now and works in the family business, and Dragonfly isn't quite old enough to move in with a Craftmaster yet, so they’re still at home, too.

“Well, I'm going to do everything I can to help you save your old home.” Birdie insisted.

“Sis, have you forgotten about the wedding? You gotta help the flower mares so you can secure future business with them,“ Blue Bird whined.

“Well, Rain Puddle’s family helped me, so I'm going to help them,” Bird of Paradise said with a pout. The glimmer of amusement in her eyes when their eyes met gave Rain Puddle a warm feeling inside.

“I guess the least I could do is help you with those crates,” Rain Puddle said, roping the cart to his body.



The Flower Mares’ cottage had neatly trimmed square bushes lining all around the property instead of a fence. Aside from the paths, every kind of flower Rain Puddle could imagine grew in their yard: bush flowers like roses, beds of delicate flowers like pansies, vines of trumpet flowers and morning glories covered multiple trellises and the walls of their house. There was even a makeshift pond that had water lilies and other water flowers growing in it. The parts of the exterior of the house that weren’t covered in flowers had painted floral flourishes and vegetation details. The front door, for instance, had a daisy-shaped window on the top half, and the doorknocker they used resembled a looped trumpet vine.

“Welcome, Bird of Paradise!” Lily Valley greeted, hugging the green mare warmly. Rain Puddle noticed Birdie seemed stiff in the embrace. “It’s nice to finally see you in the flesh again!”

“Good evening, Miss Valley. This is Blue Bird- you remember him from my letters?”

“Yes, he’s just as adorable as I imagined!” the pink mare squealed, hugging the sour blue colt.

“Lily! Bird of Paradise is here?” Daisy called from inside the house.

“Yes! And she’s brought a couple of handsome colts with her!” Lily Valley replied, winking at Rain Puddle. Over time (but not at once), he had dated all three of the flower mares, but their dramatics had been a little tiring- and he was a little “grouchy”(so they said) so their relationships each hadn’t lasted very long. But thankfully they were on good enough terms so it hadn’t affected Petunia’s apprenticeship with them.

“That’s not a handsome colt- that’s my brother.” his mint-colored little sister said drolly, having walked into view likely to see the what fuss was for herself. Her craft masters giggled, and Rain Puddle rolled his eyes.

“Well, colts, bring everything in!” Roseluck insisted as the mares stood aside to make a path. They unloaded the crates into a backroom, and sent Petunia to lead the unicorns upstairs so they could unpack their carpet bags in the guest room. Rain Puddle found himself cornered by the three mares, and their smiling expressions were gone.

“Alrighty, grouchy, here’s a bag of bits. We want you to take that mare out to dinner,” Daisy ordered.

“What? Why?” A scheming look passed through the mares.

“Because you haven’t had a date in forever, and Bird of Paradise is the sweetest mare-”

“The sweetest!” Lily Valley agreed.

“And she’s your type, right? A mare with a flower Cutie Mark?” Roseluck added.

“I haven’t even seen her Cutie Mark-”

“Doesn’t matter!” Daisy interrupted. “That mare was brave enough to reach out to us to build our businesses together, even after our sordid past with her-”

“We were pretty bratty back then,” Lily Valley giggled.

“Back then?” Rain Puddle asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Oh hush!” Roseluck scolded, punching his shoulder playfully.

“So we want to repay her,” Daisy finished.

“You owe us!” Lily Valley insisted.

“Fine!” Rain Puddle snapped.

“What’s going on?” Bird of Paradise asked from the top of the stairs. The mares’ smiling faces were back. Rain Puddle couldn’t understand how mares could change their expressions that fast.

“What’s going on is that Rain Puddle’s going to take you out to dinner, Bird of Paradise, and we are going to get your adorable brother all to ourselves for the evening.”

“What? I wanna be with Birdie, too!” Blue Bird protested. His sister started to talk to him, but Rain Puddle couldn’t make out their conversation as his little sister had galloped excitedly down the steps and starting singing loudly:

“Birdie and Grouchy, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!”

“Will you grow up?”

“First comes love, then comes….”


The flower mares had the couple out of the house so fast Rain Puddle could barely remember leaving. Somehow, Blue Bird had changed his mind- but he didn’t look happy about it. Rain Puddle chuckled a little to himself thinking of how happy Dragonfly would be to be in the unicorn colt’s shoes. Maybe it wouldn’t be long until Blue Bird would enjoy that kind of company, too. But Rain Puddle didn’t enjoy the flower mares’ company much, either, so maybe it was the mares that was the issue. He knew the mare he was with now was confusing.

He was with someone he'd only spent one day with, yet walking beside her now was almost comfortable. It was like they were on a second date - that thought froze him a little. There was no guarantee she wouldn't disappear from his life again, so should he risk getting attached?

The restaurant the flower mares had suggested was a trendy new date spot owned by Prance ponies called Aliments Sucrés. It was known for their Crepés and stuffed pastries where even the savory choices had a touch of sweetness. It was a cozy brick building with window box flowers and a red and white striped cloth awning hanging over the front of the building. They entered through a door with large windows and were immediately greeted by the maitre d', a dark brown earth pony stallion with a calm disposition, wearing a simple blue tie.

“Table for two?”

“That’s right,” Rain Puddle answered stiffly.

“Right this way.”

The place wasn’t overtly fancy- the round tables had white tablecloths and simple decorations: a votive candle in a bowl and a single lily in the vase next to it. The walls were uncovered brick with vine-like candle holders placed evenly apart, and the floor was black and white checkered tile- but it was kept so pristine that Rain Puddle couldn’t help worrying that he’d make a mess somehow. Meals at Froggy Bottom Bog had never been a neat, mannered affair, and he remembered previous dates where he had been judged for his “atrocious table manners”. But he didn’t have to impress Birdie because this wasn’t a date, right?

The restaurant was crowded, but not so much that they couldn’t be seated right away. He also found that, although the general murmur of the ponies and clatter of silverware and plates were noisy, he still didn’t have trouble hearing the waiter list the specials. He ordered a butternut squash and ricotta cheese pastry puff and Bird of Paradise ordered a crepe with mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, and gruyere cheese. They were silent after the waiter left. Rain Puddle just didn’t know what to say.

“So your Grandmother Lotus is still around?” Birdie asked after a moment.

“We Boggers are survivors,” Rain Puddle replied. “Why do you ask?”

“Well, she was a big part of my getting my Cutie Mark,” Birdie beamed. “Remember that flower bulb she gave me? I planted it in a flower pot in my room and made sure it had sunshine and water, but I was worried that it wouldn't grow as well as it did in the Bog. The only books we had on plants were mostly about which ones make good tea or what plants Birds like, so I had my parents take me to the Canterlot Library. I found the Horticultural section and spent so many hours there I had to be dragged out.”

“I was able figure out what the plant was that your grandmother gave me, so I knew exactly how to take care of it. I followed the directions to a tee, and the day it bloomed I knew I wanted to grow more and bring a blub back to your grandmother to repay her for her kindness. Then the same bloom as the flower appeared on my flank- it’s called a Bird of Paradise too, isn’t that amazing?”

Birdie lifted her skirt to reveal the cutie mark underneath. It was the flowers his grandmother grew. She would be tickled at the sight. Realizing his eyes had wandered up and down her exposed body, Rain Puddle blushed, and her face wasn't lacking color either as she brushed her skirt down.

“So your story doesn't exactly explain why you couldn't come visit us here,” Rain Puddle pointed out.

“Well, my grandmother Sweet Dough and my parents weren't exactly happy that I had gone off on my own when I visited, so my parents grounded me. I figured after they cooled off a little they might let me come back, but after I got my Cutie Mark, my mom bought me some more books about plants, and then set out to find a pony that could take me under their wing and teach me a craft related to plants.”

“Suddenly, I didn't have as much free time of my own, never mind leaving Canterlot to come visit you. After I had been settled with my master I brought up the subject again, but every pony was worried that a monster might attack me when I went through the Everfree Forest to visit you. So they put a ban on my even visiting Ponyville, lest I slip away from my escort again. I would have written, but I was too young back then to have taken note of your address so, I didn't know how to send any letters to you.”

“The Everfree isn’t that bad during the day, it’s really just after dark when the monsters come out,” Rain Puddle muttered.

“It certainly seemed safe when I went through the forest back then.”

Their food came, and Rain Puddle focused on it, musing on the words Birdie said. Her explanation certainly seemed reasonable. But the hurt of year after year of not hearing from the unicorn wasn’t easy to let it go of now that she had brought it back to the present.

She had been his first friend outside of the family who hadn’t judged him on his appearance. She was just his friend as soon as they exchanged names. He had made a hoof-ful of friends when he started going to school afterwards, but many more teased him for being a poor pony or a ‘Dirty Bogger’.

Birdie lay a forehoof on Rain Puddle’s and the stallion looked up to meet the mare’s eyes.

“Forgive me, Rain Puddle! In all this time, you were the only friend I've been able to make besides my little brother.” So she had been isolated too.

“Some friends drift apart,” Rain Puddle said uncertainly.

“Please?” Birdie pleaded. Rain Puddle could hear the sincerity in her words, but the little unicorn he met so long ago didn't seem to have such a wide class divide between them as the mare she had grown up to be. But then again, he barely knew her then, and now. Bird of Paradise had everything back in Canterlot, and it felt like Rain Puddle was losing everything. She seemed to like him now, but would that last?

But those things were not good reasons to keep her from helping him save Bog Town, and maybe her connections could help.

“Okay, I'll be your friend,” he said with a sigh.


Birdie had insisted on splitting the tab since they were friends, and Rain Puddle decided to pocket the rest of the money the flower mares gave him- they weren't without business, and it wouldn't hurt to have a little extra cash for food later on. The sun had fully set and the sky was full of stars by the time they left the restaurant. Rain Puddle agreed to walk Birdie back to the Flower Mares’ house since she wasn't quite familiar with the streets yet, and this time they walked in a more companionable silence. He found himself hyper aware of her every time their bodies brushed against each other, and every time he looked at Birdie she was staring up at him through her long eyelashes. She shyly blushed and glanced away if their linked eyes lasted more than a couple of seconds, and Rain Puddle found himself enjoying her expression when she did.

He was almost disappointed when the flower mares’ home came into view. The colors of the cottage had been muted under the night's darkness, but the stars made it seem like the gardens continued into the sky. A couple of Lily shaped lights were on on either side of the front gate to light their path, and another two hung on either side of the front door.

Rain Puddle stood outside the front door with Birdie, wondering what to say. Something in Birdie's body language told him she was waiting for something. If he was on a date, he would assume she wanted to be kissed, but she had only asked to be his friend again, right? Sighing, the mare reached out her fore hooves and tentatively wrapped her arms around Rain Puddle, squeezing him firmly in a hug. She seemed so small now, when as kid she'd seemed so tall and strong.

“I missed you,” she murmured into his shoulder. And all at once her warm body was absent and the front door was shut. He scratched his head, puzzled why he was missing something he hadn't needed a moment ago.


When dawn broke the next morning, Rain Puddle- who’d gotten no sleep- had decided he might as well get an early start, and headed to their meeting place at the café with the shamrock sign. The earth pony stallion sat outdoors at a mushroom shaped café table, nursing a second mug of black coffee while he waited for the group to gather. The coffee wasn't making him jittery yet, but he was sure the next three cup he’d need to function would do it.

Rain puddle thought he heard a gust of wind approaching, but when something slammed into the back of his head and forced his nose into the coffee table, he knew he had been horribly mistaken.

“Work on your landings, Dragonfly,” he muttered nasally to his little brother. He rubbed his nose as he briefly mourned the half cup of coffee that spilled when the Pegasus colt decided to land on Rain Puddle’s head. They had grown up in a house full of rough-housers so it wasn't something Rain Puddle was unused to.

“Sorry!” Dragonfly said breezily, assuming he was already forgiven. “So where should I start passing out flyers first?”

“Dragonfly! I told you to stay with me!” Croc Tooth shouted a short distance away. Their older brother stomped over to them, proving once again it was never too early to get angry.

“But walking is so slow,” Dragonfly whined. Ever since the green Pegasus learned to fly he barely touched the ground anymore. Perching like a bird on his older brothers’ was totally fair game, although soon he would be too big to do so.

“So what's the game plan?” Croc Tooth asked, his patience obviously thin.

“I got us a little more help,” Rain Puddle answered. “They should be here any minute.”

“Oh! Who?” Dragonfly asked.

Bird of Paradise found them then, her blue eyes meeting Rain Puddle’s gray ones from down the street. Clearly sulking, Blue Bird strolled next to her. Following Rain Puddle’s line of sight, Croc Tooth spotted Birdie and whistled.

“You brought a date, little bro?” Crock Tooth asked.

“No, it's Birdie - you remember, from our childhood. The lost unicorn filly.”

“Oh yeah…” Croc Tooth said hesitantly.

“I don't remember a Birdie,” Dragonfly declared.

“You were a little too young to remember,” Birdie added, close enough to finally join the conversation. “It is a pleasure to see you both again.”

“On shawn tay, ma-dum-mouzelle,” Dragonfly greeted, poorly imitating Prance ponies from their Grandmother Breezie's radio show. The smaller Pony fluttered in midair so he could be at eye level to Birdie, and kissed her right fore hoof. Somehow he'd gotten it in his mind that was romantic, and it was true that Mares did tend to find it cute. It looked like Birdie wasn't immune as she giggled at the action.

“That can't be sanitary,” Blue Bird said drolly from behind the mare. Blue Bird stomped forward, purposely standing between his sister and Dragonfly. Rain Puddle’s little brother looked down at the unicorn colt curiously.

“I'm always sanitary,” Dragonfly replied teasingly.

“I'd rather my sister not get sick because of some strange pony kissing her, Blue Bird snapped.

“Dragonfly, Croc Tooth, this is my brother Blue Bird,” Birdie said before either colt could speak again. “Bluebird, this is Croc Tooth and Dragonfly. I didn’t mess up their names?” she looked at Rain Puddle for confirmation, and he nodded.

“Good memory,” Rain Puddle praised, and Birdy beamed at him. He turned to his brothers. “They're the ones that are going to help us.”

“The itty bitty unicorn is going to help us?” Dragonfly teased, sticking his tongue out at Blue Bird.

“What do you mean itty bitty? You're only taller because you're flying!” Bluebird argued.

“Quiet!” Crock Tooth shouted. “If you two are going to bicker all day, you might as well go home.” Bluebird shot his sister a disgruntled look, but stayed quiet.

“Aye aye captain!” Dragonfly saluted to his brother, his mischievous mood unchanged even after being yelled at. “What's the plan?”
We should split into two groups. Each group will pass out flyers starting from here to the opposite end of Ponyville until noon, then we work our way back here to regroup, hopefully bringing any other ponies with us that want to help the cause.”

“I call dibs on Birdie!” Dragonfly called, putting an arm around her neck.

“No, I'm in Birdie’s group!” Bluebird protested.

“So let's put the kids and the mare one group, and us Stallions in the other one then,” Croc Tooth suggested.

“I dunno, Croc, I think us earth pony stallions come across as intimidating. One of us should be with the kids and the other should be with Bridie to make us seem friendlier,” Rain Puddle countered.

“Fine. I'll be with the kids. It'll be good practice…” Croc Tooth muttered.

“But Birdie- !” Bluebird started to whine, but Birdie drew him close to and whispered to him. He shook his head no, but Birdie said something else that he made him nod his head slowly. He then walked to Croc Tooth, saying:

“With your sour expression, you're going to need the two of us.”

“Bluey!” Birdie scolded.

“Sorry,” he muttered. Dragonfly grinned at the unicorn colt and began animately talking to him as they started moving away from the group.

“This is going to be a long day…” Croc Tooth sighed.

And Rain Puddle was alone with Birdie again. He hadn’t meant to have it end up like this- he’d kinda hoped spending half the day with his older brother would scare her away, but he hadn’t factored in their kid brothers’ reactions. He should’ve tried harder to sleep last night. Rain Puddle smiled awkwardly and gave her half of the flyers from his saddlebag, which she then added to the saddle bag she’d brought.

“Shall we go?” He asked, and they started walking giving out Flyers to those they passed by. He was surprised to see many ponies took them without a second thought. Birdie really must make him seem less intimidating.

“So Petunia’s just as energetic as I remembered,” Birdie said.

“Yeah, she really likes working for the flower mares. They seem to like Petunia too, but they often complain about the amount of pots she breaks. I think she should marry a Potter so she can get good deals in the future to make up for the losses.”

“What about you?”

“What do you mean?”

“What kind of pony do you think you should marry?” Rain Puddle looked at Birdie then, but she seemed invested in giving out the flyers. But her red cheeks spoke volumes.

“Birdie -”

“Stop! Cease! Desist!” A round earth pony stallion in a tie and Top Hat cantered fast to the cohorts, his face wet with sweat. Three muscular earth pony stallions followed close behind him.

“Mayor Care?” Rain Puddle asked incredulously.

“Mr. Puddle, I've gotten reports that you continue to terrorize my citizens with your Hydra business. Please stop giving out these flyers at once! If the visiting ponies from Canterlot see them it could ruin the tourist market for Ponyville, not to mention them thinking that it'll be too dangerous to hold the wedding! Do you think rich ponies will want to come back to a dangerous place? Unlikely!”

“But the ponies in the Bog aren't safe!” Rain Puddle argued, the fury in him rising.

“Which is why we offered them places to stay here in town, my boy. Be reasonable.”

“Reasonable? Reason would be asking the Princess and the Royal Guard to help us like our family requested!”

“Keep your voice down! If we bring the Princess in today, she might cancel the wedding. we need tourism to grow - Ponyville’s only been around for one generation.”

“So you'll risk the ponies in Froggy Bottom Bog just so Ponyville can get rich?” Rain Puddle’s words were scalding as he launched himself towards the mayor. Birdie grabbed his forearm to stop him, and he saw she had to use her magic as well for her to be able to match his Earth Pony strength. Her touch was soothing, which relaxed his body slightly.

“Now be a good Stallion and hoof over your fliers,” Mayor Care said smugly. Rain Puddle noticed the three stallions accompanying the mayor had surrounded them and were leering. Rain Puddle was angry enough to take them all on, but doing so could hurt Birdie. He thrust over his saddlebag to a goon who promptly dumped the contents out over a mud puddle. Birdie sadly levitated her fliers out of her saddlebag, which they promptly tore apart. The mayor and his goons left, laughing, and Rain Puddle sat down, defeated.

“Maybe the others passed out more fliers,” Rain Puddle hoped.

“Well, it's too late for the Princess not to hear of it now,” Birdie said confidently.

“What do you mean?”

“First thing this morning I sent a letter to my friend in Canterlot Royal Library, and she should be able to pass on the news about what's been going on with the Hydra to Princess Celestia. I just hope it's not too late.” Overcome with emotion, Rain Puddle hugged Birdie tightly.

“Thank you! We've been trying to get word to the Princess, but he's managed to stop it at every turn! I could kiss you!”

Bird of Paradise squeaked something quietly in response.

“What did you say?”

“Nothing!” She replied, her face red. “Would you like a snack?”

“A snack?”

Out of her Saddleback, Birdie produced an oval object wrapped in a checkered cloth. Rain Puddle followed Birdie to a bench, and after they sat, she placed the bundle between them and unwrapped it. It was a loaf of bread, brown on top fading into a tan on the bottom. Baked into the top was sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, and many more Rain Puddle wasn't familiar with.

With her magic, Birdie lifted the loaf and tore it in half with the ease of cracking an egg. Rain Puddle took the half she offered floating in the orange aura in front of him, and bit into it. It was spongy and buttery, the seeds in the crust adding flavors and textures that tantalized the taste buds.

“Is it good? I'm afraid I'm a little out of practice, since the last time I baked I was trying for a baking Cutie Mark.”

“Are you sure that this isn't your special talent? It’s delicious!”

“Thank you! It's bird seed bread, my grandmother invented it to serve at my parents engagement party, to honor his bird selling business.

“Oh.”

They said in a companionable silence as they ate, and Birdie ended up giving Rain Puddle half of her own share, claiming to have had a big breakfast. Rain Puddle noticed throughout their meal whenever she came close to touching him she got tense, and she got flustered and red whenever they made eye contact. It reminded him back when Lily Valley had a crush on him in grade school. He decided to be straightforward with his feelings - pretending to like Lily Valley then eventually hurt her, and he didn't want to hurt Birdie like that. He leaned forward, and rested one hoof on one of the unicorn’s to get her attention. Her big blue eyes met his, wide with shock. For a moment he forgot what he was going to say, and he found himself staring longer than he meant to.

Birdie exhaled slightly, and he found himself leaning his face closer to hers-

“Rain Puddle!” A filly screeched, and he stood up, practically leaping away from the blushing mare. He knew who the screech belonged to.

“Petunia?” he shouted, looking around the area for his little sister. The filly cantered in to view, and banged her head against torso so fiercely she head butted him. He was thankful she wasn't a unicorn. Petunia wrapped her fore legs tightly around him and cried,

“You have to come now! The hydra’s back, and Grandpa is refusing to hide!”

“Does Croc Tooth know?”

“Ma sent Sea Mist after him.”

“I guess it's time to make our last stand, then.”

“But what about the royal guard and the princess? Don't you need them?” Birdie asked frantically.

“There's no time. Go back to the flower ponies, ‘Tunes.”

“But I want to help!” Petunia protested.

“You haven’t been strength training in a long while, so you know you'd only put the rest of in danger trying to protect you! We want you to be safe.”

“It's not fair!” Petunia sobbed in frustration. “I'm not that much younger than you! I should be able to help!”

“Which is why you should be able to act your age and listen to reason like an adult. We love you, little sis,” Rain Puddle kissed the filly’s forehead and freed himself from her embrace.

“Birdie, could-” he started to say, but the mare was gone. Frustrated that he couldn't even say goodbye, he began to gallop back to the Bog.

The pier at the Bogger’s home sat on what was half in ruins. Pieces of wood floated in the water, lots of them splintered beyond reusing. The Shacks over the water were slipping in or completely submerged with only with their roofs showing. Ponies raced around, most fleeing in terror while some stubbornly tried to fish their soaked possessions out of the Bog.

As Rain Puddle raced from the forest path to the Bog’s edge, all of the hydra’s four heads roared at the ponies scampered below it in multiple directions. It was hard to choose an escape path, for as they turned away from one monstrous head they'd find themselves facing another.

The first pony from his family he spotted was his mother Monsoon speeding through the air as she darted through the hydra's long necks and pulled ponies out of dangerous situations. It wasn't too hard to spot Grandma Lotus and Reed at their home shortly after, as Monsoon flew injured ponies to their backyard for treatment.

Then he spotted Grandpa Croc Bait and Rain Puddle’s father, Gator Bait, darting in and out around the hydra’s legs, bucking and throwing their weight at the Hydra to knock it over.

Rain Puddle headed over to Lotus and Reed, leaping over debris and eyeing the shaking building that loomed over them. Their home was lucky to be mostly on land- which was likely why it hadn’t fallen into the Bog- but a monstrous limb could easily knock it over.

“What happened?” Rain Puddle asked his grandmother.

“Some kids got too close to what the Hydra considers his territory, and it chased them all the way here.”

“The house may not stay upright much longer. You should lead these ponies to safety!”

“I'm too old to move now, young‘n. I'm sure my boys will save us.”

“That's an awfully big reptile to wrangle, Grams.”

“All the more reason to help them, my boy.”

Rain Puddle looked over the roof at the snarling beast. Most of the Boggers had no idea how to handle a harmless garden snake, nevermind a monster like this. Rain Puddle wasn't sure that even he knew how to subdue a hydra. One thing was for certain, more numbers could only help in this situation.

“Well, what are you waiting for?” Croc Tooth yelled. Rain Puddle was never so happy to see the spiky-haired stallion galloping up to him. Flanking his brother in the air were two Pegasus mares: his sister Sea Mist and her wife Turtle Dove. “Let's go help the folks!”

Turtle Dove joined Monsoon with the air rescue, helping her mother-in-law move a beam that had trapped some ponies. The siblings gathered as much rope from their backyard storage shed as they could. There wasn't a spoken plan shared among the siblings, but they all knew an important lesson that had been drilled into them since childhood about handling reptiles: get the parts that can hurt you tied down.

Croc Tooth and Rain Puddle grabbed opposite ends of an especially long rope, and galloped forward, darting snake-like strikes from the hydra’s heads and attempting to join their patriarchs who were weaving around the legs.

“WAHOO! This is my kind of family outing!’ Gator Bait shouted upon seeing his kids. He bucked a head that tried to bite Croc Bait, and accepted a rope thrown to him by Sea Mist, stomping his forelegs on an exposed hydra neck in the next moment.

“You got the right idea, tying up the legs, but you got to get the bitey part under control,” Croc Bait grouched to them, receiving another rope.

“Any ideas on how to go about that?” Rain Puddle yelled.

“Let's Tango, Aerial style!” An excited young voice called from a short distance away in the sky.

“Dragonfly! Get somewhere safe!” Monsoon called, panic in her voice as she dragged a pony out of the Bog.

“No way Mom, I'm helping! Sea Mist and I got to fly through the necks like my Bros are the legs.”

The Hydra roared, and the family managed to dodge it’s tail that whipped around. The rope they had painstakingly wrapped broke, and Crop Tooth whipped out another from his Saddle bag, tossing the other end to Rain Puddle.

“Dragonfly!” Monsoon pleaded again.

“I'll protect him, love!” Gator Bait shouted back. All together on the earth and in the air, the six ponies weaved and darted, athletic enough only to receive mild cuts and gashes from the Hydra’s scales. In the sky, Sea Mist and Dragonfly moved in sync, taking turns dive-bombing and looping through the air, occasionally yanking the end of their rope to pull the other out of harm's way. Elation filled their hearts as the ropes constricted more and more of the hydra’s movements, until, finally, could barely move, furiously squirming under the ropes like a tall tree in a heavy wind.

“On three I want everybody pulling to the West,” Croc Bait shouted. “One... Two... THREE!”

The ponies pulled, toppling the giant creature onto its side on the remaining wood planks of the pier. On the outskirts of town, the Boggers cheered at the sight. The nightmare was over!

”We did it!” Dragonfly cheered.

“Don't count your eggs now,” Croc Bait yelled to his family. “We don't know if the ropes will hold -”

Twang! Snap! went the ropes one by one. The family darted away as fast they they could. Rain Puddle hadn’t gotten far when heard Sea Mist’s scream behind him. Rain Puddle whirled around to see their Grandfather’s back right leg stuck in the piers wooden planks.

“Everypony keep running!” Croc Bait screamed in frustration. The Hydra had almost managed to right itself, and one free head gave the old stallion a predatory look.

“Grandpa!” Dragonfly cried, flying straight for the old stallion. Multiple ponies yelled, pleading for him to come back as the colt tried pulling the stallion free- despite Croc Bait’s obvious fury at his grandson. The Hydra stretched out its limbs, shaking off the last bits of broken rope and roared.

Rain Puddle stood frozen, wanting to help his family members in danger, but knowing the pain the rest of his family would feel if they lost him, too. Their mother was in hysterics, her cries of “my baby” filling the air as the hydra took cautious steps towards the struggling ponies. Gator Bait darted forward only to stop at the sight of a wooden plank surrounded by an orange aura hitting the closest hydra head.

All the hydra heads turned towards the direction it came, and the heads of all the ponies turned too. Bird of Paradise stood it at the opposite end of the pier, her legs spread wide apart and her chest heaving. Another wooden plank hovered in the air next to her, ready to fire.

The Hydra roared and Rain Puddle’s heart leaped out of his chest as the Hydra stomped towards Bird of Paradise, its long tail knocking down buildings as it thrashed back and forth. Rain Puddle raced towards the mare, desperate to get to her before the hydra did. When he caught Birdie’s eyes, there were wide with fear. The Hydra’s steps dwarfed Rain Puddle’s galloping ones - he wasn't going to make it.

“Now!” Birdie yelled frantically.

Golden light engulfed the Hydra, lifting it up into a giant glowing orb. Heat radiated from it like the warmest of summer days, and the monster fell asleep. The orb faded as the hydra was slowly lowered on the ground, and Rain Puddle was surprised to see Royal Guards swarming the sleeping monster, wrapping it in chains.

“What in the world…?” Gator Bait said, awe struck as he and the rest of the family stepped closer to investigate. Birdie tackled Rain Puddle and hugged him fiercely.

“I thought you were going to die!” She cried into his shoulder.

“Me? You were the one provoking the monster!”

“I had to stop it from hurting anybody before the Princess caught up with me.”

“The Princess?” Rain Puddle asked in disbelief. “Isn't she in Canterlot?”

“I'm sorry I cut that so close, my little ponies.” The voice came from the sky- loud enough that every pony on the pier could hear it, but somehow soft and maternal at the same time.

The white Alicorn hovered in the sky, wings spread wide, her sparkling pastel rainbow of a mane and tail billowing out behind her. Adorned in golden shoes, necklace and Crown, Princess Celestia looked out of place among the wreckage.

Never before had Rain Puddle and his family been in such close proximity to royalty. Their expressions varied from reverence, fear, shock, and even anger. Rain Puddle had been taught in school how to properly address the princess and felt the impulse to bow, but under Birdie’s hug he could only gaze up at their Sun Princess.

“Do not fear, my little ponies, I am here to help.”

“But Mayor Care wouldn’t let us get word to you, your majesty,” Sea Mist said out loud.

“So Bird of Paradise told me. Your safety is my first priority, and I will make sure he knows that.”

“But Birdie was just in Ponyville an hour ago. How did she get to Canterlot and back so fast?” Dragonfly asked, confused. Birdie let go of Rain Puddle and answered the question herself.

“My grandmother gave me a one-time use emergency teleport charm that sends me to her house in Canterlot. The Hydra attacking seem to be emergency enough, so I used the charm once I heard. Since my grandfather knows the princess, we were able to get an audience with her right away.”

“Wow, kid, you sure saved our bacon,” Gator Bait whistled. “I approve of this mare,” he said to Rain Puddle.

“Me too!” Monsoon chimed in, bringing Birdie into a hug off the ground. “Don't let this one get away. “

“But they didn't get back here in time to save our home!” Croc Tooth spat. “Where are we going to live? We need the Bog for our livelihoods!”

“You'll not be homeless, My Little Pony. I will make sure Mayor Care builds homes in Ponyville for those of you who'd like to live there, and I have swamp land that I can give those of you who'd like a home in a less dangerous place than your Bog has become.”

The Bog ponies on the edge of the forest cheered, and Croc Tooth look mullified. Croc Bait had been freed from the pier planks and now he limped over to the Princess.

“Some of us are too old to start somewhere new, princess. How do you intend on fixing that?” He challenged.

“Come stay with us,” An old unicorn mare with a lavender coat said, hobbling into view. A dark gray stallion trailed a few steps behind her. Both ponies wore fancy looking clothes, and moved elegantly. “We have a nice big house that’s been awfully empty since our son moved out.”

“Grandma Crystal! Grandpa Steady!” Birdy greeted, galloping over to them.

“I'm honored to be in the presence of a heroine,” her grandfather said with a bow. She giggled and gave him a hug.

“Who are you ponies?” Croc Bait demanded.

“May I present my darling wife, Crystal Pendulum- Name Seer of Canterlot.” the old stallion explained, getting a kiss on the cheek from his wife.

“And this adorable gentle colt is my beloved husband Steady Pace. Thank you so much for looking after for my granddaughter all those years ago.”

“Twere no trouble,” Gator Bait said with a smile. “Now just so we're clear - you want this old grouch and my mom living with you?“

“We'd be delighted. Really, we could fit your entire family in our home if you wanted,” Crystal explained wholeheartedly.

“And what do you get out of it?” Croc Bait asked.

“Why, new friends, of course.”

Croc Bait stared at the old unicorns, bewildered. Rain Puddle was amazed that they could be so generous.

“I wouldn't mind retiring,” Grandma Lotus told her husband. “I don’t have anything new to teach Reed.” Croc Bait met his wife’s eyes, and the old pony’s tension dropped.

“I guess we can talk about it,” he relented. “It would take a while to rebuild things here.”

“I wouldn't advise trying to rebuild your town.” Princess Celestia said. “I'm sending the Hydra back to where it came from, but it could have already decided that this area is its territory, and may come back. For your own safety, my little ponies, moving on would be wiser.”

“Why can't you just kill it? - Your Majesty?” Dragonfly asked.

“Taking another being's life is an inharmonious act I'd rather avoid, young Colt.”

“Your majesty, ma'am - Any use for reptile Wranglers in this new Swamp land you're talking about?” Gator Bait asked.

“Of course! It's a little wild in the Fires Swamp, so having somepony there who could tame the wild life would be beneficial.” Gator bait smiled and looked at his Pegasus wife.

“Well, darling, ready to continue our adventure somewhere new?” He asked Monsoon, squeezing her hooves in his.

“Sounds like fun! I could be a Weather Pony anywhere.” She replied with enthusiasm.

“But Pa! What about our alligators and crocodiles?” Croc Tooth protested.

“They all must have escaped by now since the Hydra knocked down the fencing. But since the Hydra might come back, there's no sense in rebuilding or recapturing. And it's not like there's going to be any Boggers to protect here, either.

“You can come with your mother and me, but you should talk it out with Reed first.”

Waving farewell, the princess and her guards teleported away with the Hydra, and the ponies began to collect the few belongings they had that were salvageable. In one day, Rain Puddle’s life had changed dramatically- no longer would the bulk of his family live together. It was natural that ponies came and went throughout life- it already happened when his sister Spiral Shell moved to the other side of the country! But usually the change was gradual. Rain Puddle felt overwhelmed.

And then there were Birdie’s Grandparents, who were virtual strangers to his own grandparents. Why would they offer up their home? He walked over to the Mare, wondering if she knew something. At the stallion’s approach, the three ponies looked at him. The old mare had a mischievous expression like some pony who had found a new toy, but Steady Pace was worse. He wore a polite, gentle smile but somehow he projected energy at Rain Puddle that felt murderous. Rain Puddle went cold, and tried to focus on the least scary of the three ponies.

“Can I talk with you alone?” he asked Bird of Paradise.

“Oh, you must be Rain Puddle! Birdie’s told us so much about you,” Crystal Pendulum said, greeting the young stallion.

“Yes, ma'am. Sir- that’s me,” he replied stiffly.

“We'll be right back, Grandma, Grandpa,” said Birdie as she led Rain Puddle away from their prying ears. They went to a small clearing at the edge of the forest that was encircled by trees- partially obscured but still in view of the Bog. When the stallion was sure there weren’t any ponies in earshot he spoke.

“My grandparents can't live with yours!” He insisted.

“Why not?”

“They are too different - how could they get along? It’s a disaster waiting to happen.”

“Is that why you’ve been keeping your distance from me? Because we're too different?” The mare asked with a tremble in her voice.

“No! I mean, yes, that's a reason, but not the only one.”

“What other reasons are there?“

“We’ve spent so much time apart, Birdie- I don’t know who you are, really. Nor do I know how long you’re going to stick around this time.”

“It wasn’t my choice to stay away! Have you been holding that against me this entire time? Still?”

Rain Puddle didn’t reply. He felt a little angry that she was making him feel guilty over this. She stared determinedly into his eyes, searching for something but he wasn’t sure what. Finally, she broke the silence.

“You know, you’re right, we don’t know each other well. And maybe I’ve put my memories of you from that day all those years ago up on a pedestal. But every day ponies meet someone and may never see them again, and don’t think anything about it. But I was worth remembering to you, wasn’t I?”

Rain Puddle couldn’t make eye contact, frustrated that this was true.

“And you left. If you really cared, you would’ve made your way here sooner.”

Frustrated tears began to pour down the mare’s cheeks.

“Like you said, Rain Puddle, we’re different. There’s a lot more pressure in Canterlot to succeed. Ponies aren’t as nice as they are here in the Bog or Ponyville- if you’re not related to Nobility, or don’t have a lot of money, you’re treated like scum. And even if you do have those things, if you don’t behave like other ponies want you to, you can be ostracized.

“Yes, I went to Celestia’s school of Gifted unicorns. But when I wouldn’t be a gofer or help ponies cheat on written exams, nobody in the class would be my friend. When I met you, my brother was still a baby, too young to really be a playmate. You were like the sun after a rainstorm. After I left, there was nothing more I wanted then to experience that feeling again. I was devastated every time my parents said no.”

It was getting hard to stay angry with her, and Rain Puddle was having trouble remembering why he wanted to be. The details were a little different, but hadn’t he been picked on by his peers? Didn’t he know what that was like? At least he had had his older siblings to play with.

“It was like my dreams had finally come true when I saw you at the train station yesterday,” Bird of Paradise sniffled. “And you were so different from what I pictured! When I came of age, I imagined you like some girlish-featured stallion in the style that was popular in Canterlot. What a silly notion, considering when we first met you were covered in mud!” She giggled, but then she met Rain Puddle’s eyes with a serious expression.

“But you are a grungy, no nonsense grump who obviously cares a lot for his family. I liked that much more than my fantasy. I wanted to see how else you had changed. Although you were polite to me, you seemed to put an emotional barrier between us. At first I thought it was because we’d spent so much time apart, but…”

“I was angry with you,” Rain Puddle finished. “It’s hard for me to forgive and forget.”

“You’re not… angry with me now?” She said hopefully.

“I feel like I should be,” he replied simply.

“Can we move past this? I want to be a part of your life, Rain Puddle, and although it’s true I live in Canterlot and have a business there, I plan to write and visit Ponyville more often. Assuming you’re staying in Ponyville?’

“I can’t afford to move out of my apartment right now, so yes.”

“And when your grandparents move in with mine, maybe you can visit me in Canterlot,” she suggested, not meeting his eyes.

“Dear Celestia, that suggestion was because of you!” Rain Puddle yelled in shock.

“It was my grandmother’s idea- she wanted to know her future in-la- my friend’s family better!”

Rain Puddle stared straight into the mare’s eyes, watching her face grow redder and redder the longer he stared.

“...You want to be more than just friends, don’t you?” He asked with a straight face.

“I uh, umm… err…”

Rain Puddle tried to run then- slightly terrified of the scheming mare- only to be knocked to the ground as Birdie tackled him.

“I know we’ve only known each other a short while, but… youmakemyheartbeatfaster.”

“What?”

“You… make my heart beat faster. I like you. LIKE-like you. I’ve had the biggest crush on you since we met, and meeting you again has only made it stronger.”

“Can you get off my back so we can talk about this?”

“.... Will you run away if I do?”

“Assuming you don’t do anything crazy, okay.”

They stood awkwardly facing each other, but not quite looking at each other.

“So, you’re in love with me,” Rain Puddle asked. The mare blushed again.

“It’s a little soon to say love right now…” she replied anxiously. Rain Puddle met Bird of Paradise’s eyes.

“You love me.” It wasn’t a question this time. Bird of Paradise began to cry.

“I’m trying not to be crazy here!”

“You are crazy, though.”

“...Is that a deal breaker?”

“...I must be a little crazy, too, because I’m finding it charming.”

Bird of Paradise stepped closer, looking questioningly at Rain Puddle. He gave her an uncertain grin, which gave her the courage to gently nuzzle him, her furry cheeks moist with tears.

“Can I call you Boggy?” She asked between sobs.

“Only if you do so out of earshot of my family.”

*****

“After we dated a couple years, your Mom got your Aunt Petunia to manage her store in Canterlot so we could live together, and then we got engaged. We married a couple of years after that, and three years later when we could finally afford a house we had you, Snails.”

“But Dad, that still doesn’t answer my question about where babies come from,” the lanky unicorn colt protested.

“Well, Mommies and Daddies-”

“-Get together the best soil they can find-” Rain Puddle started.

“-Use their magic to pull a star from-” Bird of Paradise said at the same time. The couple looked at each other and laughed.

“We didn’t plan this talk very well, did we?” Rain Puddle chuckled, pulling his wife into a hug.

“Want to use the old standby?” Bird of Paradise suggested. He nodded in agreement.

“Princess Celestia makes babies out of earth and stars,” Bird of Paradise explained.

Snails wasn’t sure he believed them.

The End

Author's Note:

It's finally done! Yay!
Yes, this is the story of how Snails' parents met. I got attached to my version of Snails from What are little Boys Made of, and enjoyed thinking about how his family made him how he is today. I really got attached to his whole family tree as I made it.
As I elluded to in the beginning, this part of the story takes place right when AJ's parents are about to get married, so Big Mac is closest to being born and the Mane Six are just twinkles in their parents' eyes.

As a sole ruler, Princess Celestia is a little swamped by her quickly growing country and doesn't have as much time to check on every grievance ponies send her way- which allows officials like Mayor Care to run their towns as they see fit. Like I had her say, Celestia's first priority is making sure her little ponies are safe- and when they're safe she can worry about their happiness. Seeing that she couldn't even make sure her ponies were safe in this story made the Princess think seriously about finding someone to help her rule.

Mayor Care kept his position but didn't get re-elected.