• Published 7th Jun 2012
  • 967 Views, 1 Comments

The Lost Six - =the Doctor=



The Mane Six are gone. Without the six elements, the power of the Lost Elements must be called upon.

  • ...
 1
 967

the Book

Chapter 2: the Book

The rain had stopped and the rest of the day went by as normal. Come night, however, ponies began to worry about the missing group. Another day went by without any sign of their return and it was no longer only their families that worried. The sun set, then rose on a house nestled in a large oak tree. It’s door opened (backwards) and out stepped a blonde mail mare with a grey coat and crossed eyes. This mail mare’s name is Derpy Hooves. Derpy took to the sky on her usual mail route and began delivery letters to the citizens of Ponyville. When she arrived at the library with yet another letter, she thought she heard a noise coming from inside. Rumor had gone around that the unicorn in charge of the library had disappeared two days ago. This was what made the noise so strange. Strengthening her resolve, Derpy ignored all mail pony protocol and went into the library unannounced. It was as bright inside as the ajar windows allowed for. Books were strewn around the floor and dust had begun to settle. A rustling could be heard as the wind gingerly flipped through pages of numerous volumes. An open copy of the Adventures of Daring Doo laid neatly on the ground.

“Hello? Is anypony here?” Derpy took a few small steps forward. “I delivered your mail. It’s from a miss Spitfire. Do you need any help?”

There was no reply. Derpy looked around and decided to help clean the library. It can’t be any harder than sorting letters. Let’s start with that one in the middle of the floor. She picked up the adventure book in her mouth and froze. The library seemed to fall around her, leaving a pitch dark landscape in its place. The forms of the element bearers waxed into existence around her. All seven ponies were greatly surprised at this.

Derpy looked at the six mares in front of her and spoke with the book still in her mouth. “Where is this place? What are you six doing here? Everypony’s been looking all over the place for you.”

The six ponies looked at eachother before Twilight Sparkle stepped forward. “Don’t be alarmed. You have every reason to be, but don’t. We believe that we’re inside of the book.” As she said this, the area began to lighten up and Derpy could make out that they were in some sort of jungle. “I had cast a spell that was supposed to bring out Daring Doo, but-”

Twilight was cut off abruptly by Rainbow Dash. “But instead she sucked us in and we have no idea how to get out. Now, we’ll probably be in here forever until-”

Applejack covered Dash’s mouth with her hoof. “Hold on just a minute. I’d like to know how this pegasus here got into this place. What’s more, if she’s holding the book right now, how can we be in it?”

Twilight tilits her head and starts circling around Derpy. “I think the book works like an anchor to here. If somepony touches it in reality, they enter it sort of like how you imagine the world of the story when you read it.”

Derpy gives a puzzled look and says, “What are you guys talking about? Are you in trouble? Do you need help?”

Rarity turns to look her in at least one of her eyes. “I think what Twilight is trying to say is that you’re in here as long as you touch the book you’re currently holding; and yes, I believe we could use a bit of help, considering our situation. Any ideas how, however, are entirely in Twilight’s mind. She’s the only one here who seems to understand fully what’s going on.”

“I’m not sure I’d say I know entirely what’s going on, but I think I get the gist of it.” She turns to Derpy. “What’s your name?”

“Derpy Hooves.”

“Well miss Hooves, I think I’m missing some vital information from the outside world that will allow me to decide on a course of action. Do you think you can take this book with you and tell me anything important that might be going on? Better yet, do you think you can go to Canterlot and tell Celestia what’s become of us? Don’t tell anypony else. You said that they’re worried. They’ll only be more worried if they know the truth.”

As you can imagine, this was a lot to take in for a little pegasus. In a storm of thoughts, though, one stood out more than any other. These ponies are in trouble and I can actually help them. Derpy straightened up and gave a salute. “You can count on me!” She forgot that the book was in her mouth and dropped it when she spoke. As it fell, so too did the fictional jungle around her. She was back in the library with the book open neatly in front of her. She turned her head to look in either direction and used a stray piece of paper to insulate her hooves from the book. She dropped it in her mail bag and made her way to the train station to catch the next train to Canterlot.