• Published 26th Dec 2015
  • 4,613 Views, 11 Comments

Spike's angst (and some other stuff, maybe) - Crystarium



A collection of ideas for stories, mostly regarding Spike's inner struggles and his treatment at pony hooves.

  • ...
3
 11
 4,613

Nightmare Spike

Author's Note:

This is actually the first story I came up with. It's also the longest: this is part 1 of a planned 5-part series (I haven't even finished part 2 yet). Although, looking back, it would be easy to make a ~verse out of this, with this story as the prologue.

Timeline for this is in season 3, after Discord but before Equestria Games episodes. May draw details from future episodes (e.g. Tree of harmony, Tantabus etc.) but the episodes themselves will not have occurred.

Also, while in the synopsis "sisters" applies to AJ, Rainbow, and Rarity, in the actual story Scootaloo would not refer to Rainbow as a sister until after a certain point.

Tags: AU, Drama, Sad, Romance, possible Adventure
Characters: Spike, Mane 6, CMC, Luna, OC, Other (too many to name)

Spike’s POV: Starts off as spike-abuse, with Spike being left behind and such, as well as Twilight shutting down any argument he has, telling him not to be greedy. Will be talking to himself about it (he will talk to himself a lot, reason revealed later), questioning it. Initially will brush it off, and try to be grateful for what he is included in and what he does have. Currently, that includes a ticket he has to see a new movie tomorrow afternoon.

The next day, when he wakes up, he finds that his ticket is gone, and a note from Twilight. It says that the girls need to move their usual pet play-date to today, so she needs him to watch the library. She’s thrown out the ticket. She ends by reminding him to re-shelve the history section, which they were both going to do today before the movie. Spike is outraged by this and by the fact that she didn’t bother talking to him herself. After some debating, he decides to leave Ponyville, taking (what is revealed later as) a journal with him. He considers leaving a note, but decides against it, on the grounds that if Twilight doesn’t care what he has to say, he shouldn’t bother saying it.

Twilight POV: Twilight is returning from the pet play-date while walking with Rarity (Owlowiscious and Opal are playing ahead of them). Rarity apologises for the inconvenience she’s caused: the reason the day had to be rescheduled is because she is expecting to receive a very important client on the actual date. Twilight insists that it’s fine; their friends are happy to help her out. Rarity asks if she can borrow Spike for the day. Twilight says that it should be fine: he doesn’t usually do much that day anyway, so the hard work will do him good. The two part ways.

On the way back, she overhears some colts talking about the movie Spike wanted to see. It briefly crosses her mind that Spike might still want to see the movie on the day Rarity wanted his help, but she dismisses it realising that he’ll be far more grateful getting to spend time with his ‘precious’ Rarity. She arrives home, to find that none of the chores have been done. She angrily calls out to Spike and searches for him. She is about to go to Sugarcube corner, thinking he might be slacking off there, but before she can Applejack and Rarity arrive at her door.

Spike POV: Spike is on the train, heading towards Baltimare. He is looking at the book, and thinking a bit more about the times the girls have abused him, especially Twilight. He is angry, but is still wondering if he is doing the right thing by leaving. He talks to himself, and eventually comes to the conclusion that even if it’s a mistake, the girls have done plenty of stupid things before. It’s his turn.

He arrives at the station and wonders what to do next, before noticing a rustling amongst some bags. He walks over to them to find the CMC, and confronts them. They reveal that they saw him stomping through town, and they decided they would follow him. Scootaloo says that they wanted to earn detective cutie marks, but Sweetie Belle quickly adds that they were worried about him. Spike sighs, then tells them that he quit being Twilight’s assistant. He tells them what she did and how it’s not the first time. The CMC sympathise with what happened with Twilight, especially since their own sisters cancelled on them for the same reason. Apple Bloom asks Spike what he plans to do. Spike says that he’ll find a job and a place to live, but he’s not sure after that.

The CMC huddle up for a few moments, then asks Spike if they can go with him. Spike is surprised and wants to say no, but he asks why first. They claim that they want to make sure he’s ok, and that they also get ignored by their sister’s sometimes. Scootaloo is the exception, saying that she wants to stay because there’ll be some brand new cutie marks they can try to get. Spike is still hesitant, but after talking to himself about it, realises that it’s probably best to keep an eye on them, since they’ll stay regardless. He agrees, and they are about to leave, but Spike starts to receive a scroll. Worried about what the princess will do, he refuses to let the scroll come out, returning to sender. The CMC ask if he’s ok, and he says that it’s fine. They head into the city.

Twilight’s POV: The girls have been searching for CMC/Spike for a few days now. Twilight is worried, but also mad at Spike. She remembers the time he ran away, and she thinks he’s done the same thing and somehow talked the CMC into it. As the girls are meeting at the library, discussing their next move, she mentions this. Fluttershy asks if she really thinks Spike would do that, and asks why he would. Twilight says that she doesn’t know. She thinks to herself that he might be mad about the movie, but dismisses it as ridiculous: he’s always happy to help her, after all. Rainbow says that she’ll make him pay if Scoots gets hurt because of Spike, to which Applejack implicitly agrees. Rarity tries to dissuade them, saying that although she is worried about Sweetie, she does not believe that Spike would do such a thing. Pinkie agrees, and wonders if the four of them are just planning a surprise party.

Before Twilight can respond to any of this, Celestia and Luna arrive. Celestia says that she was worried: none of the letters she has tried to send recently have gone through. Twilight informs them about what is going on, which saddens Celestia. Twilight asks Luna if can find them in their dreams, to which she says she has been unable to enter their dreams of late. Luna then reveals that she has never been able to enter Spike’s dreams. As he is the first dragon to be a proper citizen of Equestria, she shrugged it off as a dragon thing, but since the CMC are hidden from her now as well, she is concerned. Celestia says that she will return to Canterlot and inform the guards to be on the look-out. Meanwhile she asks Luna if she will stay with the Mane 6 and help them search: they might need help if the kids are in some kind of danger. Luna agrees.

Spike’s POV: Spike and CMC are making a living. They found an abandoned house to stay in. Spike is helping part-time at a jewellers, who was initially reluctant but surprised at Spike’s knowledge of gemstones. The CMC are mostly doing odd jobs (dog walking etc.), and so far they have avoided any major accidents (though they have come close). They are also starting to miss their sisters, though not enough to consider going back yet.

While this is happening there is some discontent among the community regarding Spike’s species, one of the reasons the jeweller was reluctant. Eventually, while walking home from a restaurant that the CMC busted tables at, they are attacked by particularly vicious ponies and cornered in an alley. Spike defends them rather competently (this will be useful Spike, not slapstick Spike), wounding but not killing them using his claws and fire. Unfortunately, he is then blamed for assault, and the police try to arrest him.

He and the CMC run, ending up in a cave in the mountains outside of town. Spike breaks down, thinking he should send the CMC home and continue alone, but they refuse. They mention they are friends, and Spike realises this is true: they’ve followed him, helped him, and trusted him. For this reason (after talking to, and for whatever reason, agreeing with himself), Spike tells them that he has a secret to tell them, and asks them to keep it. They all agree. Before he can tell them, though, they are interrupted.

Twilight’s POV: The girls plus Luna arrive in Baltimare due to a rumour about a dragon. Here it is revealed what Spike has done (or is assumed to have done, in any case), with the girls in disbelief. They visit the hospital where the criminals are being treated, and are told a false version of events: Spike attacked them, robbed them, and took off with three fillies. Most of the other girls are all seriously considering it; Applejack and Rainbow Dash due to their missing sisters, Fluttershy because he’s a dragon, and Pinkie because of a nasty Pinkie-sense she’s never had before.

Luna defends him, claiming not to know much of him but assuring that what she has seen would not suggest this, while Rarity argues that he conquered his dragon instincts once: she thinks he wouldn’t give in to them again. Sadly, Twilight is inclined to believe the others, and starts to grow mad at Spike. They leave the hospital and ask the police for any clues. They say that the four took off into the mountains, and say that it is dangerous at night, so they cannot search for him until the morning. Luna claims that she is the night, and that she will guide them. They pick up some drops of blood, which are still on Spike’s claws, and eventually find them inside of the cave.

Spike’s POV: The girls (minus Rarity and Luna) confront Spike, yelling at him and outright ready to attack him. Instead of being frightened, he is beginning to get angry at them for not even asking his version. Before things escalate, the CMC jump in and defend him. The sisters are surprised to learn that they followed of their own will. Sweetie says (and the others confirm) that he was only defending them and did what he had to in Baltimare. Rarity looks like she believes her, which Spike appreciates, but Rainbow and AJ both think they’re lying.

Twilight demands that Spike come back. Spike says that he’s never going back, and that she’ll just abuse him again. Twilight says that she has never abused him, and that he is being ridiculous. She tries to use magic to force him to cooperate. This breaks the last bit of trust Spike had in her. His secret is then revealed: whenever he has been talking to himself he has, in fact, been talking to a Nightmare (Mist). He accepts it’s (later her) power and is able to free himself from Twilight’s magic.

His personality at this point changes a bit: he is more confident, able to smirk and mock Twilight and the girls, but he is still Spike and does not actively try to hurt them. He reveals that he has been talking to Mist for a very long time (exact time not specified), which is confirmed by Luna as the reason she has been unable to enter his, or the CMC’s dreams.

CMC (Scoots, mainly) POV: The CMC are shocked and a little scared to see the new Spike. Spike tells them that this was the secret he was going to tell him, and that he’s not going to hurt them. The mane 6 interrupt him, claiming that he has been corrupted and needs to be ‘saved’, which Spike denies. They question him about the attacks in Baltimare, thinking that this might be the reason he is so aggressive. He claims it was self-defence and that he didn’t even use nightmare powers (not even having them at the time), but they don’t believe him.

Luna attacks him, attempting to render him unconscious, but Spike defeats her easily, possessing far more power than she ever did (see actual powers below). He does not hurt her, though, hesitating on the last blow and mocking her, while also warning her not to pursue him. He says that the CMC are free to choose their own path at this point. The sisters immediately try to order them to come with them, but Spike silences them, and says it is their decision alone.

After some discussion amongst themselves, they decide to go with him. Apple Bloom because Spike was telling truth about the assault, and because she is angry at her sister for not believing them. Scootaloo because of how reluctant he was during the fight. And Sweetie Belle because he was about to tell them about the Nightmare before the girls showed up. They are still a bit scared though, so they ask Spike if he’ll explain a bit more about what’s going on, which he agrees to do soon. They teleport, leaving the journal behind.

SIDE NOTE: NIGHTMARE SPIKE
Darker Purple and green for the colour scheme, and a bit taller (maybe a hoof), but otherwise no physical change. Strength, speed, dark magic. Knowledge of magic and spells from years as Twilight’s assistant. Still no wings or flight. His fire is stronger and he can teleport via purple-blue lightning (think Laxus from Fairy Tail). He will show open animosity towards the girls (especially Twilight), but otherwise acts the same towards other ponies. Anyone else who is imbued with Nightmare power will have no appearance or personality change, and no powers unless specified otherwise


Spike’s POV: Spike brings them to the Everfree forest, at the castle of the two sisters, since he heard of this place and thinks the girls won’t look for them so close to Ponyville. Spike introduces the girls to Mist, who talks to them telepathically as she does Spike (NOTE: Mist will receive a proper body later. For now, she exists inside of Spike). Mist has been his friend for a long time, helping him and talking to him. He never told anyone, because he didn’t want anyone to take her away.

Spike apologises to the girls for keeping it a secret, and for what happened in the cave. They forgive him for both, saying they understand about Mist and that Luna was the one who attacked him. They are convinced to trust Mist when she says she is different from the other Nightmares. They question what to do now. Spike tries to keep moving, but is talked out of it by the CMC, with Applebloom claiming he shouldn’t have to and Sweetie Belle saying that the others would just chase them.

Mist suggests they take up residence here for now, since no-one would think to look: the elements have been moved, and Celestia will suspect that they have left Equestria by now. As a countermeasure to the dangers, Mist offers to imbue them with some power, so she can talk to them and warn them if there is trouble. They are hesitant, but trust their new friend, and embrace it. They’re pleased with the results, with Scootaloo being able to fly, Applebloom being stronger, and Sweetie Belle being better at magic. They thank Mist and Spike, and spend the rest of the time until they sleep talking about nonsensical things (past crusades, embarrassing secrets about Twilight/their sisters etc.). End chapter is a hooded figure, who has been eavesdropping, galloping away.

Twilight’s POV: the girls and Luna have returned to Canterlot via two-way teleportation between Luna and Celestia. They reveal what happened, to which she is shocked and saddened. She also question why Spike would allow Nightmare to possess him, to which Luna claims he is not possessed. Unfortunately, she collapses before she can elaborate. At this point, they are all tired, and each go off to bed. Slight scene for each of the mane 6, asking themselves what happened. AJ and Rainbow are still blaming Spike, while Fluttershy and Twilight are blaming the Nightmare. Rarity is worried about Sweetie AND Spike (this is important: Rarity is not angry at Spike like the other sisters, but will go along with the others for Sweetie’s sake) Pinkie’s scene is absent, which is explained later.

In the morning, Luna apologises for her actions. It was her intent to surprise and subdue Spike, but now she has scared them off. Twilight says that she did the best she could. As all of them are contemplating what they are going to do next, Zecora is introduced. She witnessed the scene at the castle on the previous night (the lightning bolt drew her attention), and has been looking for Twilight since. Twilight thanks her, and asks Celestia if they can use the elements of harmony. The other girls are surprised to hear this: The sisters don’t want to hurt the CMC and Fluttershy doesn’t want to hurt anyone. Pinkie is surprisingly quiet during this. Twilight assures them that all they have to do is free Spike from Nightmare the same way they freed Luna, then everything will go back to normal. Luna is doubtful, again claiming that she doesn’t think this is the same as her possession. Celestia grants them permission, but says that she will accompany them in case. They thank Zecora and leave.

Spike’s POV: The girls are out searching for food and experimenting with their new powers, while Spike and Mist are talking about what to do. Spike doesn’t want to leave Equestria, but at the same time he has no interest in becoming a tyrant or anything like that, and he doesn’t think the girls will believe him. Mist asks if they should just stay here. Spike considers it, but mentions that they should probably fix it up some, if they do.

During this, the girls arrive and confront Spike, the CMC and Mist. Celestia asks Spike if he will please come with them to try and solve this. Luna apologises for attacking him and insists that they are only trying to help. Spike accepts the apology, but says he does not want to go with them. He knows they want to get rid of Mist, which he won’t do: they’ll just start using and abusing him again after they do.
Twilight steps forward and tells Spike that the Nightmare is dangerous, and that if he won’t come they will be forced to use the elements. Spike points out that they aren’t forced to do anything: he hasn’t attacked anyone except in self-defence. He’s not threatening anyone or trying to bring eternal night, and he isn’t forcing the CMC to follow him (which they attest to).

The girl’s will falters somewhat, and Rarity tries to convince the others to back down. They will not, however, due to the attacks in Baltimare that they still believe Spike was the instigator of, and Rarity reluctantly agrees to use them. They fail. Spike is pissed, and proceeds to somehow use the elements himself, turning Pinkie, Rainbow, Fluttershy and Applejack into stone. The remaining ponies are all shocked. Spike is amused at Twilight’s reaction and says that he warned them, but he does not take pleasure in their fate.

He does offer to turn the sisters’ back for the CMC’s sake, but Applebloom and Scootaloo (after the initial shock, and some discussion) refuse, claiming that it was their fault for attacking. Spike takes the elements of harmony, and tells Celestia that if anyone tries to attack them again, the same fate will occur. He does this matter-of-factly, not threateningly. After a last look at Rarity, who is still too shocked to respond, they leave, with Celestia and Luna trying to comfort a crying Twilight.

CMC (alternating) POV: back in Ponyville, Mist asks why they have returned. Spike explains that since no-one can really stop them from leaving again or from living in the castle, they should go to their homes and collect anything they may have wanted to earlier, as well as some food (stomach growls). He also wants them to be sure that they’re alright with everything that happens. In particular about their sisters, mentioning that he can turn them back any time they wish. At this point they split up.

Applebloom goes back to the farm, thinking about her family, remembering both good and bad times. She encounters Winona, who’s happy to see her, and goes to the barn to collect some tools for fixing the castle, and some apples. She contemplates a bit on her new strength. She also sneaks into her room to pick up some clothes (bow, saddlebags etc.). She overhears Big Mac and Granny Smith talking about her, saying how much they miss her, but also blaming Spike for her disappearance, and talking about his general immaturity and incompetence (Spike at your Service). Enraged, she goes down and yells at them, claiming how much Spike had tried to help and how much he’d been suffering, and what Twilight did. She also mentions that leaving was her choice. They try to talk her into staying, but she brushes them off and leaves, taking Winona with her.

Sweetie Belle goes to Carousel Boutique and encounters Opalescence, who demands to be fed. After doing so, she begins to collect fabrics and sheets, and talks to Mist, who is travelling with her (in her) since Spike wanted to be alone for a moment. As she looks around Rarity’s room, she sees the fire ruby that Spike gave her. Mist makes an angry remark, and Sweetie asks what’s wrong. Mist tells her about how Rarity conned Spike into giving to her (flirting). Sweetie is shocked by this; she knows Spike has a crush on Rarity, but always thought Rarity just ignored it, not used it for her own gain. She is a bit angry, but also remembers that Rarity tried to stand up for Spike both in the cave and at the castle. She screams in frustration at her own confusion, not sure what to think. Eventually, she removes the ruby from the necklace and takes it with her. She resolves to give it back to Spike first, then figure out how she feels about Rarity.

Scootaloo goes to the CMC clubhouse, to collect her scooter. Not having anything to do, she practices a bit, really enjoying the sensation after so long. A bit during this, she encounters Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, who are mocking Dinky Hooves. Scootaloo jumps in to defend her, threatening them (though not harshly). They run off, mostly because of how surprised they are at seeing her. She and Dinky talk, and Dinky reveals that she and her mother are always teased like this, and not just from fillies. Scootaloo is particularly shocked and outraged to here that Rainbow Dash is constantly putting Derpy down, not trusting her and not caring when she got hurt. She decides to tell Dinky what she’s been up to and to ask if they want to come with them. Dinky isn’t sure, but says she wouldn’t mind talking to Spike and remembers him as being nice to her. Scootaloo promises that he’ll come visit, and tells her to tell Derpy about it, too.

Spike goes to the Library and collects his small gem hoard and a few other items. While he’s there, he sees a picture of Peewee, and is reminded how he was forced to give him up. In particular, he notes that even when he still had Peewee, he was never invited to the pet play-date. Owlowiscious comes by at this point, and has traditional comedic conversation with Spike, who partially blames the owl since Twilight ditched his happiness for its sake. Before he leaves, however, Owlowiscious does wrap a wing around him, signalling that he does sympathise with Spike. Spike smiles and leaves.

Luna POV: Back at the castle, Twilight is just sitting there staring at the statues of her friend. She and Celestia have tried comforting her, but decide to leave her with Rarity, who has only recently recovered from shock and offers to stay with her. Alone, they discuss what has happened and how Spike could be capable of wielding the elements at all, let alone with a Nightmare inhabiting him. Luna again mentions that this is different from possession, though she is not sure what it is. She also asks Celestia if she has any idea as to when this occurred. Celestia has none, believing that Spike was happy with Twilight. When asked about the last time she talked with him, however, she draws a blank, much to her own chagrin. Luna frowns, and suggest that Celestia return to Canterlot for now. Meanwhile she will see if she can find Spike. Before she leaves, she mentions that when she embraced Nightmare, it was for a reason.

Spike POV: Spike and the CMC meet up at the edge of the Everfree. Upon seeing Winona, he is reminded of how many pets the girls had, especially the animals Fluttershy looks after. Even though part of him is angry, he knows they didn’t do anything wrong, so he wonders if they should at least release Fluttershy so she can take care of them, but the CMC are against it (Applebloom in particular). They mention that they could go ask someone else in Ponyville to look after them. Sweetie Belle and Applebloom go to look for someone, while Scootaloo takes Spike to go see Derpy and Dinky.

Scoots and Spike arrive. Dinky invites them in, and mentions how she’s sorry about what happened to Spike, for which he thanks her. Spike meets Derpy, who remembers talking with him sometimes when she delivers the mail. They chit-chat for a bit about what’s been happening, with Derpy sympathetic to Spike, and mentioning about how she always gets bad jobs because of her clumsiness. He asks her about her eyes, and she tells him how it’s a genetic thing, and how lucky it was that Dinky didn’t inherit it.

At this point, Mist mentions that while she can’t fix the eyes themselves, she can fix Derpy’s sight so that she won’t crash into things (weird thing involving light reflection). After doing so (which turns one eye blue), Derpy is elated and hugs first her daughter, then Spike. At this point she asks if the offer to come with them was still open. Although Scootaloo wonders why she would still want to if she could have a normal life now, Derpy insists that she has had enough of this town, and would want Dinky to grow up with friends like Spike and Scootaloo. Spike agrees, and takes them to meet up with the others.

Luna’s POV: Luna is searching through Ponyville, coming to the same conclusions as Spike did. As she searches, she thinks about last night and how much stronger Spike was. She also thinks to herself about what exactly Spike is, now. He is not erratic or cruel as she was. He calmly explained himself, and he only attacked when provoked. He even showed compassion in sparing Rarity, who stood up for him. This thought makes Luna wonder why Spike spared Twilight as well, but before she can think on this further, she overhears Applebloom and Sweetie Belle.

Apparently, Mr and Mrs Cake have agreed to watch Gummy, but they can’t find anyone else to take in the pets, or who knows enough about animals to cover Fluttershy’s duties. Sweetie Belle asks if they should do as Spike suggests and release Fluttershy, but Applebloom is still convinced that she deserved it for attacking them. Luna is surprised to hear that Spike was willing to free her, and steps out to talk to the two.

They are wary at first, but she insists that she will not attack them, and only wants to talk. She asks what they know about Spike and the Nightmare. They tell her about what Twilight did and what the Apple family said, which enrages her. Sweetie also mentions what Mist said about her and Spike’s friendship, which surprises her. She does not recall actively talking with the Nightmare after possessing her, and she certainly can’t remember considering the entity a friend. After some thought, Luna mentions that she would like to talk to Spike. At this point, the two are still suspicious of Luna, but agree to take her to him, since Spike has beaten her before anyway.

Spike/Luna (not sure which) POV: he is surprised to see Luna with Sweetie Belle and Applebloom, but is quickly dissuaded by them. Likewise Luna takes note of Derpy and Dinky, who are slightly afraid of her. Spike and Scootaloo explain, earning a hug from the other two and dealing an additional blow to Luna’s suspicions. The CMC informally make Dinky a crusader, promising to do a proper ceremony later. Luna asks why Mist would do this, at which point Mist talks to all of them.

She mentions that she has no intention of telling Luna how she and Spike met, and how that is his story to tell, should he choose to tell it. She does say that Spike has helped her, and that she is glad to help him or any whom he considers a friend. Though Luna is still suspicious of Mist, she is completely convinced that Spike is acting of his own will. Luna does ask if Spike intends to free the elements, however. The CMC are still against it, but Spike explains that he isn’t keeping them sealed away for revenge: he just doesn’t think they’re ever going to listen to what he’s been telling them, and may try to attack him and his friends again.

Luna offers him a deal: if he frees them, she will remain with him, and ensure that they are all protected. After conversing with the others, Spike agrees, but on two conditions. Firstly, he will have to talk with Twilight, Rarity and Celestia and set terms for them as well. Secondly, Luna is not to try any weird magical tests on Mist, or any of them. Luna agrees. They send a letter to Celestia explaining that the elements will be released, and asking her to come to the castle, before they leave for the same location.

Celestia’s POV: in Canterlot Castle, Celestia is looking at photos of Twilight and Spike, trying to remember the times she and Spike spoke to one another. They were close when he was younger, but she can’t remember talking to him after he and Twilight moved to Ponyville. As she ponders this, she notices something about the photos. There are photos of her, Twilight, and Spike when he was a hatchling and Twilight a filly. But there are no photos of the three when they are older. There are photos with her and Spike, her and Twilight, and a small few of Twilight and Spike, but there are none with all three together. This doesn’t make sense to her. At this point, she receives the scroll from Spike. She is glad that the elements will be released, but confused as to what it is Spike might want, as well as why he is doing this.

Twilight’s POV: Twilight is still disconsolate, with Rarity trying to comfort her. Rarity asks Twilight what they should do next, to which Twilight responds that she has no idea. Before more can be said, Spike and the others appear. Twilight prepares to attack him (out of fear, not anger), but is convinced not to by Rarity. Luna mentions the deal that was made, and that Celestia will be there soon. Twilight is in disbelief, and asks Spike why he would free them. Spike says that he already told her: he hasn’t attacked anyone, only defended himself. The only reason to keep them in Stone is if they were a threat.

Before Twilight can respond, Celestia arrives. She receives an account from Luna regarding Spike’s terms. Luna informs them of her agreement to stay with Spike. This shocks Twilight and Rarity, and saddens Celestia, but she understands it is the only way, and asks Spike what they must do.
Firstly, Spike wants help repairing the castle, specifically supplies and such from Celestia. She agrees, but says it may take time to put together. She does offer to also bring in food, bedding and other items, to which Spike agrees and thanks her.

Secondly, he says that Twilight and the others are not to try and force them to come home, or to try any tests on them, same as Luna. Twilight says that she will agree, provided that they be allowed to visit them all any time, to make sure they are alright. Spike counters, saying that they are free to see him, but Luna, Derpy, and the CMC will choose if they want to see anyone or not.

Luna, Derpy and Dinky are fine seeing anyone, but Applebloom and Scootaloo don’t want to see their sisters. Twilight wants to protest, but Spike cuts her off, saying that it is their decision. Rarity asks if she is able to see Sweetie Belle. Sweetie hesitates, and looks worried. Eventually she whispers to Spike, and Spike says that Sweetie doesn’t mind seeing Rarity, but not yet: she wants to figure something out first. Rarity looks crestfallen, but accepts since it isn’t a flat-out ‘no’.

Thirdly, Spike will release the girls, but he is keeping the elements of harmony. Twilight is outraged at this and vehemently protests, to which Spike silences her with the Royal Canterlot Voice, scaring her. Celestia asks why Spike wants to keep them. Spike says that he doesn’t trust the girls. If they attack him or the others, or if there is a major breach of the rules, he wants the ability to seal them again without hurting them. Twilight takes note of that last part.

Celestia is thoughtful, then says that even though that makes sense, the elements are an important part of Equestria’s defence, as well as a deterrent for Discord. She can’t afford to lose them. Spike says that she’s not losing them: if the girls need them, they just have to ask him instead of her. He reminds her that he is capable of using them, and that Equestria is his home as well: he has no intention of letting it fall. Celestia thinks this over, then agrees. Twilight attempts to protest, but Celestia pulls her aside and tells her that this is far more lenient than she was expecting. Rarity agrees, suggesting that they shouldn’t push too far too soon. Twilight wants to argue, but trusts Celestia and begrudgingly agrees.


Spike’s POV: Spike summons the elements and releases the other girls. They are confused, but after Twilight explains what happened, this soon turns to rage. Rainbow is quick to try and attack Spike, but is stopped by Scootaloo intercepting her flight path. The girls are shocked that Scoots can fly, with Rainbow shocked enough to hesitate in her attack.

Scootaloo yells at her about her treatment of Spike and Derpy. Rainbow tries to brush it off, but then Scootaloo mentions how she felt about her wings and asks if Rainbow is going to prank her because she can’t fly. Rainbow looks ashamed at this, and backs down. Spike suggests they all leave, reminding Twilight and Rarity to tell the girls about ‘visitation rights’. The girls leave, but Celestia asks to talk to her sister, and to him afterwards. He agrees, and speaks with the rest of them after the two take off.

He asks them if they’re all ok with this, to which they all remind him that they’re his friends, and that they’re in this together. Sweetie Belle also mentions that they are Mist’s friends now too, to which she is surprised but gladdened. She offers a part of her power to Derpy and Dinky, both of whom accept. After this, they discuss what they’re going to do next. Spike suggests that before they start repairing the castle, they all explore some and figure out what to do with each room. The CMC (which includes Dinky from this point forth) take this as a challenge (Cutie Mark Crusader Castle Capers! YAY!), and leave with Winona. Spike and Derpy explore the upper levels while talking with Mist.

Twilight’s POV: the girls are walking back to Ponyville, getting briefed by Twilight amd Rarity about the deal that was made. Applejack is mad at Spike, and claims he has no right to stop her from seeing her little sister. Rainbow is quiet, disappointed in herself. Twilight is still thinking of ways to try and fix this when they encounter Zecora. After telling her what happened, Zecora offers to also keep an eye on Spike and company, and to try and convince the CMC to talk to their sisters. Before leaving, Zecora asks Twilight why Spike didn’t turn her to stone: Rarity makes sense, but Twilight was the main instigator to Spike’s aggression. Fluttershy suggests it is because Twilight is closer to Spike than the others, but Twilight doubts this, citing what happened in the cave and how mad Spike was.

Thinking back to the cave, she remembers the book that Spike dropped. She says she will go get it, but Pinkie Pie reveals that she picked it up and left it at the castle before they left. When questioned, she explains that she doesn’t know what’s in it, but she saw Spike writing in it one time, and he made her Pinkie Promise never to tell anyone about the book. She figures that includes not letting the others read it. The girls are miffed, but Rarity defends her, and convinces them that it was what a friend should do, even in these circumstances. When they get back to Ponyville, they each return home.

From here we witness separate scenes (Not specifically in this order, though):
• Big Macintosh and Granny Smith are relieved to see Applejack. They tell her how Applebloom came home and what she said. AJ is shocked by this, but also angry at how naïve her sister could be.
• Rarity comes home to find her materials and the ruby missing. She begins to think she’s been robbed, until she sees Opalescence’s food and realises that Sweetie Belle must have been here. She wonders why she would have taken the ruby, and begins to recall how she got it. Upon remembering, she feels a twang of guilt, though she doesn’t know why
• Pinkie Pie is upbeat and greets Mr and Mrs Cake, but reverts to Pinkamena in her room. It is revealed that she still has the journal (also revealed that it is a journal, at this point), and that last night she read some of it. The entries in it make her sad. She is beginning to understand why Spike is doing this.
• Fluttershy attends to all of her animal friends and apologises to Angel, who has had to hold down the fort while she was gone. After she’s done, she goes up to bed and tries to take a nap, but can’t. She tries to think about the times she spent with Spike. All of them were pleasant. She was nice to him, just like she was to all her animal friends…
• Rainbow slowly glides into her home. She is thinking about what Scootaloo said: about the times she comforted her about her wings, and about the way she treated Derpy while she was on weather patrol. She also thinks about Spike, and about all the times she ignored him too, as well as playing pranks on him. When she remembers what she said to him during the dragon migration, she starts crying.
• Twilight goes home and talks to Owlowiscious. She is still wondering about the book and what might be in it. Owlowiscious takes her upstairs and reveals a loose floorboard beneath Spike’s basket, which Twilight deduces is where the book was hidden (this is where his gem collection was too, earlier, which is why Owlowiscious knows about it). She wonders why she never noticed this, and stares at Spike’s basket. A small part of her wonders why she never got Spike a proper bed.

Celestia POV: She and Luna are in her old bedroom, which has stayed mostly intact. Here, Celestia asks Luna why the two new ponies were there, and why Luna made the deal that she did. Luna reveals what Mist did, which surprises Celestia, but also makes her feel better. This changes quickly as Luna explains what she’s learned about Spike’s treatment by Twilight and her friends, including the incident that started all of this. Celestia is saddened that she was unaware of this, and resolves to speak to Twilight at some point. Luna believes wholeheartedly that Spike is acting of his own will, and that he has no intention of hurting anyone unless they attack him first. Therefore, she must stay and protect him from other ponies: if word gets out about him, he will be targeted, and forced to retaliate.

She also mentions that she is determined to find out what exactly the connection between Spike and Mist is. Celestia is still reluctant, but understands. Luna emphasises that she is not trying to become Nightmare Moon and that she still loves her sister, but fears that something has gone wrong for far too long. After they hug, Spike and Derpy walk in. Luna offers to help Derpy track down the kids, leaving Spike and Celestia alone. Momlestia is revealed right at the end of this chapter, before the actual discussion takes place (e.g. “Hello Spike.” “Hello… Mom”)

Derpy POV: Derpy x Luna setup. Derpy asks Luna about why she really chose to stay with them, and Luna explains that she cares about Spike and sympathises with his feelings, and wants to make sure he’s safe. Luna then asks about Dinky and what Derpy is thinking, to which she replies that she knew her daughter was being bullied because of her, and that Spike was the first one to treat both of them with kindness. Luna asks about Dinky’s father.

Derpy hesitates, then says that the father left her. He was able to see past the eyes, but bolted as soon as he found out about the baby. She never wants her daughter to feel abandoned like that, and Spike and his friends promised they never would. This earns her a hug from Luna, causing her to blush. She attempts to claim that this is not proper for a princess, but Luna insists that Derpy never needs to refer to her by her title. The two break apart and are silent for a moment, but then they are sent flying through a trap door and down a slide.

They wind up in an organ room, where Scootaloo has played a key. Sweetie Belle and Dinky are levitating rocks in a contest, and Applebloom is playing with Winona. They are all enraptured to hear from Luna that the organ controls many secret passages in and out of the castle, and can’t wait to test them out. Derpy suggests a variation of hide and seek: they each move around the castle, while Luna plays the organ and attempts to bring them back here. Luna agrees, loving games, and the rest of them take off.

Spike POV: Starts from the same Momlestia comment we ended on. Celestia first asks Spike about what happened in Baltimare. Spike gives his account, with Mist chiming in and greeting Celestia. Celestia is surprised, but feels no malice from Mist. She agrees that it was self-defence and states that she will take care of the charges against him. She mentions what she was told about Spike’s treatment. Spike is angered about what the Apple family said, but happy that Applebloom stood up for him.

Celestia asks him why he never told Twilight and the girls what he felt. Spike says that he tried to tell Twilight a few times, but she kept telling him to be grateful for what he had, which he tried to believe in until the movie thing. The reason he won’t talk to them now is because there’s no point: even if he forgives them, he has no intention of going back to the life he used to have. He has new friends who actually treat him as a friend, Mist included, and he isn’t about to abandon them like the six did him. Celestia thinks about this, then says that while she wishes they would talk, she understands, and won’t force them, which Spike thanks her for.

Celestia then asks if she has ever done anything of the sort, commenting about the photos she found and that she can’t remember the last time they spent time together. Spike mentions that the reason he was missing from the photos was because he wanted Twilight to have her own memories with Celestia, but that he has been avoiding her recently. She asks if this is because of the secrecy surrounding their relationship. He states that he’s understood that: she has her duties, and she wants to protect him. He then reveals that there is only one moment that he has been truly mad at Celestia: the day that they saved Luna from Nightmare Moon.

Flashback POV: During the middle of the celebration for Luna’s return, Spike is almost in tears. He’s just taken the note about Twilight moving to Ponyville, but he just realised that he has to move too. Spike’s happy that Twilight gets to stay with her friends, but he has friends. In Canterlot (Minuette, Lyra, Moondancer, Twinkelshine and Lemon Hearts). He has a life in Canterlot, a home, a… mother, and now he has to leave it. Nobody told him, nobody even asked him how he felt about it. He’s looking over at Celestia, talking with her sister, and his sadness turns into anger. Why is mom sending him away? Why are Twilight’s studies more important than he is? Why are her friends more important than his? Why doesn’t he get a say? Why!?

Sweetie POV: She and Dinky are talking to each other while playing with Winona, having been caught by Luna. Dinky asks Sweetie Belle about herself, and Sweetie Belle talks about some of the crusades they’ve done, and how sometimes she wants to do stuff like Rarity does, but the other girls don’t like to. Dinky is very interested when Sweetie talks about Rarity’s dresses, which she notices.

When Sweetie asks, Dinky reveals that she’s always been interested in fashion and design, but never acted on it. She felt bad that she had hoof-eye co-ordination that her mother didn’t. Sweetie berates her, saying that her mom would be proud if she tried to make something. She mentions that she brought some fabrics and stuff, and that maybe Dinky could try making her mom a gift. Dinky is enthusiastic and hugs Sweetie, who blushes for some reason.

Dinky then notices the fire ruby in Sweetie’s saddle bag and asks about it. Sweetie realises she forgot to give that back to Spike. Sweetie tells Dinky how Rarity got it and how she wants to give it back. Dinky notices the strange look on Sweetie’s face and asks what’s wrong. Sweetie tells Dinky that she’s not sure if she should be mad at Rarity or not, and that she’s not sure if Rarity is mad at her or not. Dinky looks sympathetic, but before more can be said, Luna manages to catch Scootaloo. Frustrated that she was the third (Sweetie corrects her as the fourth, counting Winona) one caught, she decides to play the keys herself and help catch Derpy and Applebloom. Luna tries to stop her from playing a certain key, but she’s too late.

Celestia POV: she is mortified to hear what Spike said, and realises that he is right: she was so happy her sister was back, and pleased that Twilight had made friends, that she never got around to talking to Spike about the move. When Spike says that the reason he avoided her after was because he thought she no longer wanted him as a son, she breaks. Hugging him, sobbing uncontrollably and begging his forgiveness, thinking she has neglected him the same as she did Luna. Spike hugs her back, and they just sit there for a time.

After calming down some, Spike tries to apologise, but Celestia cuts him off, insisting that he has done nothing wrong. She asks if there is anything she can do to make it up to him, to which Spike only asks if they can start spending more time together. He reminds her that he knows she still has duties, and that it would still be dangerous to tell anyone about them.

Celestia contemplates this, but realises that this is no longer true. She did want to protect him, but he has proven he is capable of protecting himself. In addition, she never wants Spike to feel that kind of pain again. Because of this, she tells Spike that they will definitely be spending more time together, because they are going to tell everyone the truth. When Spike asks about it, she insists that she trusts him, and that she will protect him if she has to. The two hug again, when they are suddenly launched from the room and into the organ room.

Spike POV: Spike and Celestia arrive at the same time as Derpy and Applebloom do, meaning all ponies are present and able to see the two hugging each other. Scootaloo comments on how good she was at finding them all, before everypony notices the position that Spike and Celestia are in. Spike blushes profusely, but makes no move to break the hug. Luna smiles and asks if things have gone well. Spike almost tries to lie, but looks at Celestia and remembers what she said. They tell them the truth, and everyone is shocked. Luna is happy to call Spike her nephew (Blueblood will be in this eventually, but no comparison here. Too easy), and the others think it’s cool that Spike is royalty.

Derpy asks if Spike is, in fact, entitled to a royal title. Celestia tells them that she was planning to make Spike a proper prince someday, and that they have decided to simply move that time to now. Mist interjects, wondering if it is ok to tell the public about Spike, considering her involvement with him. Celestia considers this, but Spike responds indignantly, claiming that she is his friend too, and if people are going to find out then they should be the ones to tell them.

Mist then appears in physical form before all of them, as a young female dragon (dark blue scales, silver spines and purple eyes, more slender than Spike). This surprises all of them. When asked, Mist claims that she appreciates what they are willing to do, but that it will be easier and safer to have her as a denizen of Spike’s castle than as a malevolent spirit possessing him. After some convincing from everyone, Spike agrees. Chapter ends with Celestia telling Spike about the large royal treasury she had been saving for him, which he starts drooling at. Some jokes involved, but no greed reference. Cover that later.

Twilight POV: set a week after the previous events. Twilight is lying in bed, depressed about everything that has happened. Celestia came to her previously and told her about why Spike left. Twilight realises this is the exact event she was sure wouldn’t bother Spike. Celestia is disappointed to realise that this is true, and implores Twilight to think about why Spike might be so hostile towards her now.

Since then, she has been trying to reminisce. She recognises a few events where she could have been nicer (though she does not recall her birthday), but currently is still convinced that Mist is the one to blame. She considers if she should go and talk to him: so far as she knows, none of their friends have yet tried. As she thinks, she looks outside to see Rainbow Dash failing miserably at organising the weather, and invites her in for some tea. Picks up the newspaper on the way back in.

She tries talking to Dash, but she gives short “yes” “no” “uh-huh” responses. When asked if she’s ok, she tries to act all awesome and cool, but breaks down and starts crying, while Twilight comforts her. Rainbow pours her heart out about all the pranks she pulled on Spike, and how bad she’d been to Derpy. She thinks it’s her fault that Scootaloo was so mad at her. Twilight tries to tell her otherwise, but can only do so half-heartedly. Just as she’s wondering what she might have done to Spike, Applejack bursts in, trailed by Rarity, Fluttershy and Pinkie, who saw her stomping through Ponyville and got worried about her.

Applejack starts yelling at Twilight about why she didn’t tell them, but she doesn’t know what AJ’s talking about. AJ grabs the paper and shows everyone the front page. On it is a picture of the beings at the two sister’s castle, with Celestia hugging Spike. The headline and primer reveals that Spike is Celestia’s adoptive son. This shocks everyone, including Twilight. After seeing her face, AJ asks if she really didn’t know, but Twilight is having trouble responding. They continue to the actual article.

Article POV: Spike Solaris is revealed to have been adopted by Princess Celestia. From the day he was hatched by her student, Twilight Sparkle, he has been a part of the royal family, and as of a few days ago he has officially been made a prince. As part of his new royal duties, he will be overseeing the restoration of the castle of the two sisters, henceforth to be referred to as the Everfree Castle, and he will become its permanent resident upon completion of the restoration.

His actions in Baltimare are mentioned, with the princess supporting that Spike came to the defence of his friends, and did his best not to cause harm. The ponies that accused him of assault are currently being questioned by local law enforcement.

Celestia apologises to all her ponies for the deception, but states that she wanted Spike to have a normal childhood, without fear of being attacked or manipulated by Equestria’s enemies. She states that he has learned many of the skills he needs from his time as an assistant to Twilight Sparkle, and that she believes he is ready to take on more prominent duties such as the restoration. When asked about his age, Celestia claims that dragons age very differently from ponies, and while he may still be a baby dragon, he is as mature as any adult (the article avoids any other discussion as to his species).

Luna adds that she will also be staying at the castle for a time, to teach Spike more advanced skills he will need, and to guide him should he encounter any problems. She says that she is pleased to have Spike as a nephew and looks forward to working with him. She claims that she will be perfectly able to perform her own duties in addition. When asked if she intends to remain at Everfree Castle after it is restored, she says that it will depend on factors outside of her control, but does not elaborate.

The remaining beings (Derpy, the CMC, and Mist) are described as friends of Spike and residents of the nearby town of Ponyville, which Spike will become ruler of once he is ready. They will be staying at the castle (under strict supervision and the guarantee of safety from Luna) to assist Spike with his studies and to keep him company. Derpy says that Spike is a kind-hearted dragon and a good friend both to her and her daughter, and that she thinks he’ll make a great prince.

The CMC mostly talk about how Spike is a good friend and about how cool it is to have two dragon friends. Sweetie Belle says how he would always come by and help out with her sister’s work. Applebloom talks about how helpful he tried to be on the farm, and that even though he did screw up sometimes, he never stopped trying. Dinky says that she is grateful to Spike for helping her make new friends. Scootaloo says that Spike is the second coolest pony/dragon she knows, but declines to mention the first.

Mist, who is described as a ‘classmate’ of Spike’s, simply says that she is proud of Spike. She makes no mention of her origin or previous events, but denies allegations that she is his sister, or another hidden royal family member.

The article ends with an open call from Celestia for any ponies interested in assisting with the restoration, and a subtle warning from her that if anyone tries to harm Spike, they will not face a princess, but a mother.

Twilight POV (soon): starts with a round-robin of various random ponies reading the paper:
• Mr and Mrs Cake are surprised about the prince bit, but wondering more about if this has anything to do with how Pinkie’s been acting. She’s been more hyper than usual during work, but frowns when she thinks no-one’s looking
• Big Mac is still thinking about how Applejack ran off, as well as about Applebloom staying with Spike. He wonders what’s going to happen next, and if their family is going to be ok
• Discord, it turns out, has always known about Spike, and is also suspicious of Mist’s true identity. He decides to let Lulu and Tia play their little game, though, and see what chaos occurs in the meantime
• Mayor Mare is wondering if her job is at risk, but also if having a prince around will mean there will be less disasters that she gets blamed for
• Diamond Tiara is furious, wondering how the CMC get to live with a prince. Silver Spoon wonders how a dragon can be a prince of ponies, and surprisingly DT defends him, saying that he’s lived with ponies all his life, so he’s probably more pony than dragon
• Trixie wonders if she can ask Twilight Sparkle to introduce her to the new prince, and maybe get him to endorse her. She starts to panic a bit when she remembers turning him into a basketball, though
• Fancy Pants and Fleur find it interesting, but are not hostile to the idea. They do wonder if this is the same dragon that Rarity has sometimes mentioned
• Moondancer is surprised to learn her old friend is a prince, and reflects on how long it’s been since she’s seen him. She also wonders why Twilight isn’t in the picture with him
• Queen Chrysalis receives the news from her spies, but her reaction is surprisingly calm. She tells her drones to keep a close eye on the new prince, but not to harm or interfere with him. When she is alone, she wonders if it’s “not too late…”

Various reactions. Twilight is shocked, and hurt that neither Celestia nor Spike ever told her. Pinkie is planning a party (in typical fashion, but this becomes important later). Fluttershy is mildly shocked, but a bit distracted by Mist and her new form. Pinkie wants to plan a party for him. Rarity is in disbelief, thinking it is some kind of hoax, and Applejack is inclined to believe her, thinking that maybe it is a cover-up for the nightmare incident (though she feels guilty about the Baltimare testimony, realising that Applebloom was telling the truth). When Twilight hears this, she defends Celestia, saying she would never do that, but has no answer when asked why they were never told. When someone asks Rainbow’s opinion, they find that she has left. They consider going after her, but Twilight talks them out of it, suggesting that the all need some time to process this. Fluttershy suggests going out for lunch. All but Pinkie go, claiming she has to prepare for the party.

Applebloom POV: She, Spike, Derpy and Luna are in the main hallway looking over some sample designs, trying to figure out what they are going to build and what each room will be used for. Sweetie Belle and Dinky are off somewhere, while Scootaloo is teaching Mist how to ride a scooter. Spike, Luna and Derpy are having a hard time of things, while Applebloom is a bit to the side, studying them. While the others discuss various ideas (with Luna wanting to keep the originals, Spike wanting some new stuff, and Derpy acting as a mediator) she draws up a mock design for one of the rooms they mention, based on what the designs from the sample look like.

Spike notices this and asks to see it. She is reluctant at first, but after some convincing shows it to them. Everyone is impressed, particularly Luna, who comments on how talented she is. Luna, Spike, and Derpy exchange a look, and Spike suggests that they put Applebloom in charge of designing the new castle. Applebloom is shocked by this, and very nervous, but Luna quickly reassures her that they would still have proper architects and such to do all the technical work. AB would be in charge of listening to their (Spike & Co) ideas, looking at the designs (of the architects), and deciding which ideas would work and which wouldn’t. Given this, she accepts. Before anything else can be said, Rainbow Dash crashes into the room.

Rainbow POV: Luna is prepared to intercept Rainbow, but Spike stops her, reminding her that they are allowed back at any time. Rainbow asks to speak to Spike and Derpy. They look at each other, and agree, while Luna and Applebloom go somewhere to talk about the new designs (with Spike warning Luna that she can’t pull rank anymore). After they leave, Rainbow first tries deflecting by congratulating Spike, but he doesn’t buy it. Then Rainbow starts gushing about how sorry she is, about how she should have treated Derpy with more respect, and how horrible she was to prank Spike all the time.

As soon as she starts talking about what a lousy element of loyalty she is, Derpy interrupts her. She reminds Rainbow about all the times she has helped Ponyville, and tells her how much she looked up to her when on weather patrol. Rainbow is shocked, and starts crying some, at which point Derpy hugs her and insists she’s forgiven. Spike is a bit more hesitant, pissed about the migration and the young flyer’s competition. Rainbow begs his forgiveness and says that she’ll do anything to make it up to them.

Spike is silent for a time, and Derpy explains that he is probably talking with Mist telepathically, having done so a few times before. After a while, he says that he’ll forgive Rainbow, if she can convince Scootaloo to forgive her. Rainbow hesitates, but after Spike says that Scootaloo agreed to at least talk with her, she agrees. Spike teleports all of them.

Scootaloo POV: she and Mist are having fun, with Mist discovering that she gets motion sickness if she goes too fast. They both laugh until Mist suddenly seizes up. Scootaloo is concerned, but then Mist talks to her and tells her about Rainbow Dash. Scootaloo is surprised at first, but soon becomes angry and says that she doesn’t want to see her. Mist looks surprised, and mentions that from what she knows of from Spike, Rainbow is something of an Idol to her.

Scootaloo has an outburst, saying that that’s why she’s so mad: this is the pony she looks up to, and she acts like that to a pony who doesn’t deserve it. She is stopped when Mist mentions that Derpy forgave Rainbow. Mist then goes on to say that even though Spike also has mixed feelings about it, he still wants to give her a chance. She was being surprisingly honest given her usual desire to protect her reputation, and there were times he really did like Rainbow Dash. Because of this, and because in all honestly Scootaloo really does want to make up, Scootaloo agrees. The others warp in near them. Spike suggests that they give them some privacy, but Scootaloo says she’d rather have them here.

Sweetie Belle POV: She and Dinky are comparing some fabrics for Derpy’s dress. As they work, Sweetie starts singing a little tune, but stops when she tears one of the fabrics, and starts feeling melancholy about not being much help. Dinky denies this, saying that she wouldn’t have the guts to do this if it weren’t for Sweetie. She also mentions that Sweetie’s singing sounded great. This again causes Sweetie to blush, and this time Dinky blushes a bit too.

They are silent for a moment, until Luna and Applebloom walk in. They are discussing about the castle, with Applebloom trying to tell Luna that a joke room (i.e. something similar to the room of Infinite Cake) isn’t feasible, but stop when they see all the fabrics and stuff. Sweetie and Dinky are embarrassed and beg them not to tell Derpy. Luna asks what it is they’re not supposed to tell them. When Dinky says it’s a gift for her mother, both Luna and Applebloom agree to keep it secret, and to help wherever they can. Luna also asks if Dinky would consider making her something, to which she agrees.

Sweetie asks why Luna and Applebloom were there and what they were talking about. Applebloom begins explaining about Rainbow. Before she can mention her new job, however, they hear a large crash. They all go to the entrance hallway, to see a large group of ponies. One of them says ‘Hello Auntie’. Chapter ends.

Rainbow POV: she and Scootaloo stare at each other for a while. Rainbow tries opening with a joke, but Scoots doesn’t laugh. Rainbow tries again, this time apologising to Scootaloo. Scoots asks why Rainbow is apologising. Rainbow says she’s sorry for what she did to Spike and Derpy, and that she’ll never do it again. Scootaloo is still unforgiving, asking if that’s all. Rainbow thinks for a moment, wondering what she could have done to her adoptive sister, then it hits her. Scootaloo wanted her as a sister. What kind of sister hurts her friends and tries to attack them?

Tearing up, but not crying, Rainbow apologises for letting Scoots down and not being as awesome as she thought. She says that she has no right to be Scootaloo’s sister, but she still wants to be her friend. Scootaloo is silent for a moment, then flies into Rainbow Dash and hugs her, crying. She says she still wants Rainbow to be her sister, and she’s even more awesome now than she was before. Rainbow starts crying a bit and hugs her back. Tender moment and stuff, awkward onlookers (Mist is smiling).

After a while, Spike mentions that he forgives Rainbow too, and Rainbow smiles. Before anything else can happen, though, Sweetie Belle shows up and says that Spike needs to come to the castle entrance immediately. They all teleport.

Twilight POV: At the Gilded Lily (or some other, better café name), Twilight is getting angry at Celestia, wondering why in the hell she wouldn’t say that Spike is her son. Applejack is inclined to agree with her. Fluttershy questions about this, wondering how exactly Celestia became Spike’s mother and why Spike isn’t living with other dragons. Rarity chimes in, reminding them all of the time he went to find other dragons, and discovered they were all Brutes.

At this, Twilight has two revelations. The first is why Celestia would allow her own son to do something so dangerous. The second, causing guilt, is why Twilight allowed him to do such a thing, when she never considered asking Celestia where Spike came from. She could have asked any time she wanted to. She brings this up to the others, who have no answer for her. Rarity also looks guilty at this, while Fluttershy wonders why Spike never thought to ask his mother where he came from. This is interrupted by a customer entering, and asking for ‘Twily’

Spike POV: They reach the castle to find a large group of crystal ponies, and Luna talking with Cadence. Dinky and Applebloom are standing off to the side a bit, a little awkward. Mist is immediately suspicious, but adopts a ‘wait-and-see’ approach. The princesses notice Spike and walk up to him. Cadance welcomes Spike to the family and hugs him, which Spike returns after seeing Luna nod. Spike asks what exactly is going on, and Cadance explains that they saw the news article. She also talks about how Spike saved the Empire, and how a lot of Crystal Ponies saw Spike as a hero (Great and Honourable Spike the Brave and Glorious).

Spike blushes at this, and even more so when he sees the Crystal Ponies staring at him. When Rainbow (feeling slightly threatened, amusingly) asks what that has to do with anything, one of the Crystal Ponies steps forward. They explain that they saw the request for builders, and that all the ponies here wanted to help Spike in building his new Castle. Spike is grateful, but quickly realises and explains that they haven’t even finished the design yet. Luna is quick to comfort him, saying that there is an architect in the bunch, and they were already discussing working with Applebloom when they came in (causing Applebloom to blush).

Spike is still worried about moving materials and things: they don’t have a clear path yet, and the Everfree is a dangerous place. Mist reminds Spike that he has magic now, and can easily move even large amounts of materials. Rainbow says that she will help with the building too, which surprises. Rainbow says that she still wants to make it up to all of them, and besides: this is where her little sister lives now. Of course she’s going to help. She asks if she is able to move in. Spike smiles and hugs her and Scoots, and agrees. Before they can say any more, there is a loud commotion, and a group of ponies is heading towards Spike, a white unicorn in the lead.

Twilight POV: the girls are shocked to see Shining Armour, but Twilight quickly gets over it and hugs him. Rarity asks why he’s visiting. Shining makes a joke about visiting family, but soon explains about Cadance and the Crystal Ponies. This reminds Twilight of the time at the Crystal Empire, and how Spike stood by her even when she didn’t welcome his help. She starts to cry a bit, and Shining asks what’s wrong. Applejack asks if he doesn’t know, and when he confirms, the girls tell him the story of what happened. He is shocked about Mist, but this turns to anger when they mention how they were turned to stone. Shining takes off, determined to confront Spike. The girls trail after him, with Twilight trying to warn him about how strong Spike is, and the deal they made. But Shining isn’t listening.

Spike/Twilight (alternating) POV (this might be split into two chapters, don’t know): Shining sees Spike next to Cadance and launches a shot at him, which he dodges easily. Before he can attack again, he is restrained by both Twilight and Luna. Mist is about to jump in, but is stopped by Spike. The girls are surprised to see Rainbow Dash there, but do not get time to comment. Shining yells at Spike for trying to hurt his sister, and calls him a monster. Cadance steps in and asks why he would call him that, and Shining tells her that he tried to kill Twilight and her friends. Cadance is in disbelief, and Spike asks her if Celestia told her why he was living here.

After confirming she is ignorant, and Mist telling him that they probably won’t get out of telling everyone present, Spike tells the story to her from his point of view. This includes what happened with Twilight (which makes her feel guilty), how Mist is his friend, and how he only sealed them in stone because he knew they would attack again. Everyone hearing this (girls, crystal ponies and Cadance) are all shocked. The girls, in particular, are surprised to hear his reasoning, and wonder if he was right. He finishes with the deal that was made and points to Mist.

At this, Shining struggles and breaks free of the hold, and tries to attack Mist, but Spike stops him. Shining calls him a liar and says that a monster is a monster, and they should both be killed. Before anyone else can say anything, Rainbow flies over and slugs him. The other girls are all surprised, and Applejack asks what she’s thinking. Rainbow defends Spike, claiming that he is right, and that they all should have behaved better. She also accuses Shining of attacking his own family, to which he replies by insulting Spike and calling him Twilight’s pet lizard. Twilight feels a mix of emotions at this, and wonders if that is how she had been viewing Spike.

At this point, Spike decides that enough is enough. He tells Shining that he is under both Celestia and Luna’s protection, and that to attack him is to defy them. He tells the Crystal Ponies and Cadance that if they wish to leave, they are welcome to do so. Cadance is hesitant, but the Crystal Ponies all decide to stay on and help Spike, trusting him and sympathising with what happened. Shining tries to command them to leave, but Cadance talks him down, pointing out that they have chosen. Cadance and Shining leave, and soon the girls follow suit, being glared at by the Crystal Ponies. Rainbow Dash is too, but Spike quickly mentions that he has forgiven Rainbow, and her intention to help with the rebuilding.

Twilight POV: Twilight is lost in thought about her actions towards Spike, but this is soon interrupted when hearing Shining and Cadance shout at each other. Cadance claims that Shining could have handled the entire situation better, while Shining accuses Cadance of siding with Spike after what he did. When they see the girls, they stop arguing, and Twilight asks Shining why he is reacting so strongly.

Shining insists that he has done nothing wrong, but after some prodding (and perhaps a stare), he reveals that he still feels guilty about what happened at his and Cadance’s wedding (the other girls all look guilty at this point), and that when he heard that Spike had hurt her, he snapped. Twilight hugs him and insists that she’s forgiven all of them, and that she does appreciate him looking out for her.

Applejack asks what’s going to happen now, since Rainbow apparently isn’t with them. Twilight isn’t sure, but Cadance reminds them all about the deal, and that they are still able to visit Spike. She also asks Twilight if Spike was telling the truth about what she did, to which Twilight guiltily says yes. Twilight also says that at this point, she feels like that is not the only reason Spike left. The other girls ask what she means, but she says it’s just a feeling.

Applejack is still holding out, insisting that it is Mist’s fault and they need to stop her. Twilight says that they will still try to talk him into realising that Mist is evil, and that for now, that’s really all they can do. The others agree, but Fluttershy and Rarity do so half-heartedly

END PART 1