• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 1,448 Views, 17 Comments

Idle hand does the Discord's work. - rathgood



A modern robotic prosthetic hand falls into the hooves of Lyra. Touching ensues.

  • ...
3
 17
 1,448

Bass Instincts

Bass Instincts

"Okay Lyra, I'm off to open the store. Try not to break anything else while you experiment with that hand of yours.” Bon Bon states as she finishes packing her saddlebags, “And remember you have rehearsal in three hours, try not to be late!"

The mint green mare gives her compatriot a pouting glare. "Bonny, I'm not some foal. I'm a grown adult."

Bon Bon just rolls her eyes. "How did you spend all of breakfast, hmm?"

Dejectedly Lyra replies, "Squeezing, touching, and catching everything in the kitchen.”

"And how many dishes did you break?"

"Crushed two mugs, dropped one plate and smashed a bowl. Oh, and sent a grapefruit through the side window..."

"My point exactly," Bon Bon retorts as she secures her saddlebag.

“But-”Lyra gestures to the dishes on the table “-I fixed them already.”

Bon Bon shakes her head as she gives the unicorn a quick nuzzle, “But they're never the same.” The earth pony smiles at the other mare's pouty face as she heads out the door.

"Humph!" is all Lyra can retort as she closes the door with a brief glow of her magic. Scratching her chin, her demeanor changes drastically, "I wonder what cupcakes and other desserts feel like." She strikes a pose, pointing dramatically towards the center of town. "To Sugarcube Corner!" And with that she sets off in a blur, her bags and lyre forgotten.

----------

After a period of Pinkie Pie-powered pastry perturbation, plundering, and pillaging, the town clock tolls two, signaling that Lyra is late for her rehearsal.

"Crap, Octavia's gonna kill me," she exclaims, turning towards Pinkie. "Can you run over to the concert hall and let them know I'm on my way? I have to run home and ge-"

The party pony holds up Lyra's saddlebags in one hoof and her lyre in the other. "Your bags and lyre?"

Perplexed, Lyra responds, "But how did you know I'd need them?"

The smiling Pinkie replies, "That's because everypony is my friend and I know what’s needed to make each one of them smile.

“But when did you get them? You've been here the entire time."

"That's easy you silly filly, I got them when you were devouring the danish."

"But, but that was less than a minute... how did you get there and back? My house is on the other side of town."

The perky mare begins to inhale for what will certainly be a long, run-on statement when Lyra silences her. "You know what, I'm late already. You can explain it to me later." Rushing out of the door, she turns back, "And thanks for getting my stuff. I owe you one." With that, another green blur can be seen heading towards the town performance spaces.

--------

"You're late... again, Lyra", an unamused gray mare states, not even turning towards the door to verify who just entered.

"Only by a few minutes. It's not like I'm always late," the tardy pony states while scratching the back of her head sheepishly.

"Not always late?" Octavia continues to tune her cello. "How many times between now and our 1st year in college were you on time?"

Lyra blushes as she sets down her own instrument to prepare it. "Enough to pass-” her shoulders slump “and not get fired from my jobs"

The cellist sighs. "That's only because either Vinyl or I made sure you weren't late. Even then-” Octavia adjusts the tension of her instruments strings, “-you had to repeat at least two electives neither of us shared with you." A quick pluck of a string and she is satisfied with the sound of her cello. At last she looks up to acknowledge her fellow performer. "At least your mane is in decent shape, right?” Octavia's eyes go straight to Lyra's right forehoof. “What in Celestia's name is that on your hoof?"

Lyra's smile threatens to split her head in half. "This is my hand! I found it yesterday and it's awesome. It lets me feel things."

An eye roll is all she gets in response.

"Oh, it can even let me play my lyre like a pegasus or griffon, actually able to feel the strings." To prove the point, the mint green mare begins to play a haunting melody with her hand, subtle adjustments made here and there to enhance the effect. Driven by an unknown force, Octavia joins in. The deeper tones of her instrument enhance the lilting tune, granting it a depth not found before. The impromptu duet continues for a few minutes until it ends as suddenly as it started.

"That- that was beautiful! I don't think I've ever heard you play something like that before, Lyra." Octavia wipes a tear from her eye. "And you say it's all because of that hand of yours?"

Lyra's smile is as wide as a mile. "I think so."

"Would… would you mind if I gave it a try? It seems like an interesting concept."

"I think I can arrange that," Lyra replies; with a brief flash of her horn the pressure cuff's release valve is activated and the iHand detaches itself with a hiss of escaping gas. The glow continues and encases the hand, levitating it towards Octavia's right forehoof. "Raise your front right leg please." The grey earth pony complies and the hand slides down, securing itself with a slight sucking noise.

"This feels rather odd, kind of heavy as well." The gray mare moves her foreleg tentatively and finds the fingers opening and closing when she thinks about doing it. Grabbing her bow, she rolls it around in the hand. "This truly is far different from using one's hoof."

"I know, right?"

Octavia now holds the bow in a normal Earth pony position, but the arm holding it is slightly further back to account for the longer foreleg. Taking her usual standing position, the music begins. While the lyre gave forth a haunting melody, the cello emits a jaunty tune. A steady upbeat bass rhythm escalates into a throbbing bass riff. The lyre joins it, sharp notes cutting in to accent the deeper bass. Soon, the male members of the ensemble, having heard the tune from their dressing room, join in, adding a peppy brass section to the tune. The freestyle, off-the-cuff song concludes with the other instruments fading out, leaving the cello by itself again. A few rapid thrums of a bass chord and the song is over. The energized ponies stomp their hooves in approval.

----------

In a darkened room a few streets away, a mare with an electric blue mane awakens with a start.

"Wow, I have this feeling like Tavi just dropped the bass and I don't mean her cello." Stretching, her joints pop as a pair of sunglasses levitate over, perching squarely on her nose. "Crazy. I doubt Treble Clef would ever do anything like that. I really need to stop eating Pinkie's jalapeno-frosted cupcakes after a set."

----------

"Ms. Octavia, I don't know where you and Ms. Heartstrings got the idea for this piece and the previous one, but we simply must add them to our performance!" a blue stallion, the trumpet player for their group, exclaims.

Octavia turns towards him while removing the iHand from her forehoof. "While I do think Lyra's initial piece would make a wonderful addition, Noteworthy, I don't think the second improvisation would mesh well with the rest of our set. It reminded me of an acoustic version of that dreck Vinyl plays."

----------

"ACHOOOOO!" the blue-maned mare sniffs. "Somepony must be talking about that awesome set I spun at Pinkie's party last night!"

----------

Lyra levitates the hand over to her, securing it back onto her right hoof. "As Octavia says, the second composition isn't really our style. Also," she continued, waving her hand, "we only have one of these so we can't both perform."

Noteworthy can only shrug his shoulders. "Then shall we get the practice underway? I assume we're all warmed up, yes?" With that, the quartet heads for the stage and begins rehearsing their set. Some time is spent integrating the brass into the duet Lyra and Octavia had played earlier.

----------

The house is full that night, partly due to a stagehoof spreading the word of a new piece and partly due to a scheduled thunderstorm later that evening. Whatever their reason for being there, everypony waits eagerly for the concert to begin. Back stage, the quartet is full of nervous energy; the larger than anticipated crowd only serving to amplify the affect.

Taking a deep breath to calm his nerves, the blue stallion addresses his comrades. "Okay everypony, we go on shortly. Do we have the new program memorized?" A chorus of nods affirms it. "Good, now," he gulps, "good luck."

The group files onto the stage, led by Octavia.

Lyra trails the group and with a brief flash of her magic tops off the charge on the iHand. She whispers to the palm of her hand, "Okay hand, let's show them what we can do," and with that she heads for the stage.

----------

Rainbow Dash rubs her temples in annoyance, "Okay Thunderlame, I don't know why you hit Horsepower, but because of it both you and he were late for roll call today.” The mare hovers back and forth in front of the stallion, “Due to being late and for breaking the rules, I'm assigning you to storm duty tonight.

Thunderlane can only sigh; it has not been his day. "Okay, who will be assisting me?"

"Nopony will."

"What!? It's a Class Three thunderstorm. How am I supposed to manage it on my own?"

Rainbow Dash glides over to him. "You'll have to find a way. It wouldn't be punishment if it were easy." She glides closer to whisper in his ear. "Also, if I ever hear of you doing anything like that again to Fluttershy I WILL geld you with a Sonic Rainboom. Is that clear?"

The venom and intent clear in her voice, Thunderlane can only nod. "Crystal clear, ma'am."

"Good." With a quick flap of her wings she's off in a rainbow blur, leaving Thunderlane staring at a vast expanse of thunderclouds ready to release their payload.

"I hate my life."

----------

Back at the concert hall the show concludes and there is not a dry eye in the house. The new piece finished 10 minutes prior, but the pounding of the patrons' hooves in approval still has not stopped. The emotionally spent and physically exhausted performers can only bow, over and over again.

Three sharp peels of thunder, indicating the planned storm will begin in 15 minutes, finally silences the applause, the crowd starts to file out in order to get home before the storm hits. The darkening skies outside cause sconces along the walls to begin to glow, illuminating the hall and its antichambers. The members of the quartet wearily trot offstage and rest themselves on the waiting pillows in their respective dressing rooms. Even as tired as she is, Octavia takes the time to conscientiously pack up her cello.

"Lyra, you and your hand performed very well out there tonight. I was impressed."

"Thank you Octavia, you were at the top of your game as well."

Closing the lid to the cello case, the gray mare turns towards her mint green compatriot. "I would ask a favor of you though."

"Whatcha need? A little magic lift getting your instrument home?"

"No, nothing of the sort." Her left foreleg rubs nervously against the right. "I was wondering if you would let me make a copy of your hand for my own use during shows."

Once again Lyra's smile threatens to split her face in two. "Of course, of course. I'm always willing to give you a hand."

----------

At Sugarcube Corner Pinkie puts on a pair of sunglasses, emitting a loud "YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!" as she does.

---------

"But who will you get to make it? I mean, it looks like it's fairly advanced techno-magic. I can't think of anypony who could do it." The puzzled unicorn responds.

"You should not have to think so hard," Octavia responds back. "We do have a pony in town that specializes in techno-magic items that will be more than thrilled to do it." The gray mare smiles some, “Also, you know her very well.”

A candle can be seen lighting itself above Lyra's head, the enchantment upon it finally activating. "Oh, you mean Vinyl!"

"Indeed."

Lyra levitates her lyre into her saddlebag as Octavia secures the back strap for her cello case. The unicorn steps in front of her friend and responds, "Well no time like the present, let's go see Vinyl. Besides, the storm is going to start soon and your place is closer than mine."

Octavia nods, "Very well then, I'm sure she will enjoy the company and the chance to examine your hand.”

With a few steps the musicians leave the concert hall as Lyra magically closes the door behind them.

----------

"Vinyl, I'm back and I brought company!" The two mares step into Octavia and Vinyl's house, rain dripping from their coats. "And please bring some towels; we were caught in the rain." There is no response. "Don't tell me that lazy mare is still sleeping..."

"Um, Octavia? Why are the puddles of water vibrating like that? Is there an Ursa around or something?"

The cellist can only facehoof. "No, it means Vinyl is practic-"

Both mares are thrown back against the door as a loud, resounding bass chord radiates from the back room. Righting themselves, Octavia groans, "I'll be right back." She heads for the studio, dripping water the entire way and bracing herself with each bass line. The music cuts out abruptly and the sound of a hoof hitting head can be heard.

"Ow!”The DJ rubs her head “Oh, Tavi, yer home. How was the show?"

"Fine, now-"

"Oh, wet mane!" the electric blue-maned unicorn interrupts. "Sexy, you know what that does to me... See you upstairs in five?"

The immediate response is another hoof to the head. "No. Behave, we have company."

Vinyl rubs her head where the second blow landed as the two mares exit the studio and rejoin Lyra. Noticing the mint unicorn Vinyl waves. “Evening Lyra. You here to shoot the breeze?

Octavia clears he throat, "Something like that. Now please get some tea started and grab us some towels; we were caught in the storm and are soaked to the bone."

The unicorn heads out with her marching orders. "On it Octo-butt"

A few minutes pass and the three mares are now comfortably dry as they sip some nice herbal tea.

"Tavi, you'll never believe what happened this afternoon. I was sleeping-"

"How is that any different from every other day?"

"Well yeah, but I woke up because I thought you were dropping the bass. How crazy is that?"

Lyra and Octavia exchange bemused smiles. Vinyl's face switches from amused, to confused, then back to amused.

"Wait...you really did?!"

"Yes Vinyl, she did. Acoustically, but yes: Octavia Melody 'dropped the bass' during practice."

The startled white unicorn seizes up, bleats like a goat and falls over. Lyra looks worried, Octavia only rolls her eyes.

"Now Vinyl dear, the reason Lyra is here is because she recently came into possession of some new techno-magic that I would like you to look at."

The words rouse the prone mare and with a blur of blue and white her attention is turned squarely towards Lyra and the device strapped to her hoof.

"Is that it!?" The DJ says as she eagerly waves a hoof towards the iHand.

"Yes," Lyra states as she magically depresses the pressure valve and sets the iHand in front of the slightly drooling unicorn. "Now I know you'll want to know where I got it, but the truth is it just kind of hit me."

"S'cool. So other than it being some sweet bit of techno-magic, why'd yah bring it to me?"

Octavia sucks in a deep breath and begins, "Because, my dear Vinyl, I would like you to make me one."

Vinyl's eyes grow wider than her signature shades. "You... tech... want... and... drop... bass..." And for the second time in as many minutes; the DJ bleats and falls over, a smile plastered on her face.

Neither of the other ponies react this time. A flash of lightning and the resulting thunder breaks the prone mare from her brain-lock. She promptly throws her forelegs around the gray mare's neck and gives her a long, drawn out kiss. "I've never been more attracted to you than I am right now."

Lyra clears her throat, Octavia blushes. "Remember, company Vinyl..."

Red flushes across the face of the DJ, "Right. If you don't mind then I'll get started." Her horn ignites and emits a blue beam, scanning the iHand from end to end. "Wow, this is some sort of tech. I don't think I can remember all of this." She looks over to Lyra and asks, "You mind sticking around longer so I can continue to scan while I work?"

Another peel of thunder echoes through the town. "That would be fine; I don't want to go out in this storm anyways."

With a manic look in her eyes, the same blue aura encases the hand and the DJ rushes towards her workroom. Just as the door closes, a burst of maniacal laughter erupts from it.

"Should we be worried?”

"No, it is just Vinyl being Vinyl. So, how is Bon Bon these days?"

----------

The sounds of the lab are drowned out by the raging storm outside and the echoing laughter of the mad mare working there. The only light comes from the faint blue glow of her magic, the sparks of a welder, or the bright flashes of lightning.

"I'll need that... can't forget that... gotta drop that..."

More flashes, sparks, and laughter echo through the small chamber. The DJ, hard at work, begins a slow chant, each repeat speeding it up until it blends into itself.

"Wub...... wub...... wub... wub... wub... wub.. wub. wub.wubwubwubwubwubwubwubwub-"

Standing on her hind legs, a flash of lightning backlights her form in stark contrast. She throws her head back and screams triumphantly. "It's alive! It's alive! Tavi, it's alive!"

A twitching hand lies on the bench next to the iHand.

----------

The storm's fury slows as the blue-maned unicorn levitates both hands towards the chatting pair of ponies.

"Ladies, may I present," she starts, setting down the iHand and levitating the new hand while turning it around slowly so all parties can see it, "Octavia's new hand."

"You did a remarkable job there, Vinyl," the lyrist states as she levitates her own hand back onto her hoof.

"Yes, I do agree. While I think the blue will not match my coat very well, I do like the black treble clef on the back of it."

"Hey, what's wrong with blue? It happens to match my mane perfectly."

"Yes, yes." Octavia takes the hand in her hoof and turns it over, discovering a large black circle in the center of the palm. 'What's this?" she says, indicating the disc.

"Just a speaker with an integrated mini-subwoofer."

The other two mares give her an incredulous look.

"You put a bass in-"

"-her hand?" Lyra finishes the statement.

"Yes, you don't have to thank me." Vinyl responds, “But you can if you want.”

Once again, the two unamused mares roll their eyes.

"So, mine-” Lyra gestures to the iHand on her hoof “-is charged with lightning magic, I would assume Octavia's is the same?"

"Nope. I'm no good with lightning beyond light shows, so I tweaked its crystal to store and draw energy from low amplitude sound waves. This means it can charge while you're making music with it."

Octavia almost drops her new hand. "You mean it's... it's... it's powered by bass?!"

Viynl smiles, “Yup, it wubs them.”