• Published 16th Dec 2015
  • 1,171 Views, 19 Comments

Button Rekt: Button's Revenge - Sunblast X



After Sweetie Belle broke his heart, Button seeks revenge

  • ...
4
 19
 1,171

Chapter 1: Confrontation

It was an average morning at the Ponyville schoolhouse. The colts and fillies were inside doing a math assignment that their teacher, Miss Cheerilee, had given out to each of them. One of the foals amongst the class was an earth pony colt with a brown coat, orange mane and tail, and ember colored eyes, that went by the name of Button Mash. One of Button’s most iconic features was his propeller hat that he wore proudly upon his head.

The class wasn’t given their classwork that long ago, and Button was already halfway done with his. Contrary to what most ponies believed, Button Mash was actually a very intelligent kid.

The young colt took a pause from his test and glanced over to his left. The pony he was eyeing was a unicorn filly. A unicorn filly by the name of Sweetie Belle. She one of the members of the CMC, Rarity’s little sister, and not to mention… Button’s former crush. It was only a month or so ago, and yet, he could still remember that hurtful day as if it had happened only yesterday…

[Flashback]

Button Mash was there. He was sitting in a nearby bush, watching the CMC. More specifically, he was watching the white unicorn Sweetie Belle. Her friends were busy doing their own things, Apple Bloom playing with Big Mac and Cheerilee dolls, and Scootaloo failing miserably while doing stunts on her scooter.

“And now, you’ll kiss,” Apple Bloom said, pretending to be a preacher or something while making her two dolls kiss.

“Aw man, Sweetie Belle’s so cute. I hope she and I can be together forever…” Button said quietly under his breath, a nervous blush creeping onto his cheeks as he thought of the filly of his dreams.

“Huh?!” Sweetie Belle heard a few rustles coming from a nearby bush. It didn’t take her long to find out what was making the noise though. “*sigh*. Not this again!” she said while walking towards the bushes. She lowered the bush in front of her with her hoof, revealing Button Mash. “Button…” she looked at him with a deadpan look.

“Sweetie Belle…” he looked back at her with a smile, his ears perked up.

“Button, I hate to put it to you like this, but—I wouldn’t be your special somepony if you were the last colt in all of Equestria, and the future of all ponykind depended on us,” the unicorn filly began, making the earth colt’s ears flatten with an upset expression. “Whenever I look at you, I see a future of type two diabetes and unemployment checks cloaked in the scent of stale cheesy puffs and unchecked body odor,” she concluded.

Whoa. That’s heavy…” Button thought upsettingly in his head.

“Besides, joyboy hasn’t made a decent console in decades. Grow up and get a neighstation!” She added, emphasizing that last part as she got up in his face before quickly pulling back.

Button Mash processed the information into his head. Taking all of that in, the hurtful information was too much for his emotional side to handle. Tears began to well up in his eyes.

“WAAHAAA!!! MOM!!!” he screamed, crying at the top of his lungs as he galloped away from the scene. That was it. Button’s heart… was smashed to pieces…

[End of Flashback]

Sweetie Belle glanced over at Button Mash who quickly turned his head the other way.

Even after a month or so had gone by, the memory of that horrid day still played fresh in his head. He shook the thoughts away and focused back on his classwork. It didn’t take him long to finish though, the problems weren’t even that hard… Well, not to him at least. Button quickly hopped out of his seat and turned in his assignment to the teacher.

“Um, Button Mash, may I talk to you outside for a moment?” Miss Cheerilee called out before the young colt could sit down, making the others in class snicker and chuckle amongst themselves.

“Am I in trouble or something?” Button asked as he stepped outside with his teacher so none of the others could listen in onto their conversation. That was the last thing either of them needed.

“No, no, you’re not in trouble, Button. I just wanted to talk to you. That’s all,” Cheerilee said with a reassuring tone of voice and the calm expression to match.

Button nodded in agreement. Not only was Cheerilee a good teacher, but also a trusted friend as well.

“So, how have you been lately?” she asked.

“I’ve been fine, I guess” he replied.

“That’s good,” She said. “So, Button, I’ve heard some things going around town, about how Sweetie Belle said some less than pleasant things to you?”

Whoa, Button Mash wasn’t expecting the conversation to go like this. Ok, he was, just not this soon. It was bad enough when had to talk to him mom about it, now his teacher and everypony else was in on it too. The little colt let out a light sigh.

“Well, that’s the sugarcoated way of putting it…” He told her, rubbing the side of head with a hoof in slight annoyance.

“You don’t have to say anything. I think I know what went on,” Cheerilee said before he had a chance to say anything. “I could talk to her if you want”

“No, I think I can handle Sweetie Belle on my own,” Button smirked up at his teacher.

“You’re not going to try and seek revenge are you?” Cheerilee’s ears lowered as she asked with slight worry for her student. Button did nothing but smirk menacingly as he looked off to the side. “Oh dear…” Cheerilee thought, not liking the look on Button Mash’s face.

“So… are we done here?” Button Mash asked, arching an eyebrow.

Button’s a smart colt, I should probably try to end this before it gets out of hoof,” Cheerilee said to herself in her head. “Uh, yes, go back inside,” she instructed him.

Cheerliee watched as Button walked back into class, giving her time to think. She never thought Button Mash, the town’s local gamer, would be the type to go out looking for revenge. Sure he could be bit crazy and random at times, but he didn’t seem like the vengeance seeking type. Then again, he did spend most of his recess time playing on his joyboy and the only friend she knew he had was the Pegasus colt Rumble. Wait a minute…

That just gave her an idea!


“So where are we going again?” Button asked his Pegasus friend Rumble as they walked beside each other.

“We’re going to Sugarcube Corner to get milkshakes. On me,” Rumble replied with quick, playful jab to his friend’s shoulder. “You could use one after what happened to you awhile back”

Button simply rolled his eyes, not wanting to hear more of that specific topic. “Well, I am craving something chocolatey. I just hope nothing awkward happens,” he said.

Eventually the two colts had arrived at Sugarcube Corner. Luckily for them the place wasn’t completely packed today. In fact, it was completely deserted, save for three fillies sitting next to a nearby window. One was a Pegasus, another was an earth pony, and the last one was a… Oh, no!

“Hey, there’s the CMC. Let’s have a seat with them,” Rumble suggested. Button sighed under his breath as he followed behind the gray pegasus. He really hoped he wouldn’t regret this. “Hey there, girls,” Rumble greeted the trio.

“Hey there, Rumble. Button Mash,” Apple Bloom greeted the two boys.

The farm filly insisted they have a seat with them. Rumble took a seat next to Scootaloo, the two pegasai children looking off to the side with nervous blushes on their faces. Button took his seat on the other side of Rumble. Unfortunately, this would also put him right next to Sweetie Belle. Yeah, because sitting right next to the filly that smashed his heart into pieces was totally what he needed right now…

“So what are you two doing here?” Scootaloo asked them.

“I’m here to treat my buddy Button Mash to a few milkshakes” Rumble pointed a hoof to the colt next to him.

“Three chocolate milkshakes, one strawberry, and one vanilla,” Pinkie placed their orders on the table, appearing seemingly out of nowhere.

“Wait, we didn’t—“

“It’s on the house,” Pinkie Pie said with a smile, cutting Button Mash off midsentence. Looking over her shoulder, she gave a wink to Rumble, Scootaloo, and Apple Bloom. The three foals winked back at her, as if they knew something between the four of them.

“Hey, Rumble, can you come with me for a minute? I’m going to need some help with my homework,” Scootaloo and Rumble hopped out of their seats and headed to another part of the building, taking their milkshakes with them.

“And I’ll, uhh… help them out,” Apple Bloom added, not really having a better excuse, doing the same.

With the other three on the other side of the building, this left both Button Mash and Sweetie Belle alone with only themselves to talk to. The two foals looked at each other with stares. Sweetie’s was an awkward stare, while Button’s was more of a serious, hateful one. Not wanting to look at the filly for a second longer, Button Mash took out his joyboy from under his hat and began playing on it.

“Still playing on a joyboy I see,” Sweetie said, trying to break the ice by talking about video games. “You know Joyboy is obsolete, right?”

“Yeah, I like joyboy, sue me,” Button replied, a bit of attitude in his voice, not taking his eyes off his hoofheld console.

“They’re talking; do you think this’ll work?” Apple Bloom asked as she, Rumble, and Scootaloo listened in on Button and Sweetie’s conversation.

“Oh, Celestia, I hope so. The dude’s my friend and all, but I’m kind of tired of seeing him mope around all the time. It’s bumming me out,” Rumble said, his forelegs folded across his chest.

“Yeah, and we’re tired of Sweetie Belle taking forever to regret what she said,” Scootaloo said in agreement with her fellow Pegasus.

Sweetie Belle looked down at the table, swirling her hoof on it. ”Listen, Button Mash, there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you…”

Button looked up at her. What was it that she could possibly want to tell him of all ponies? Last he checked, she wanted nothing to do with him. What did this little heart-smashing filly want to say?

“Button, I’m… I’m sorry for the way I treated you awhile back. It was wrong of me…” She said, looking into his eyes with an apologetic expression.

Sorry? She had a month to do this and she just now decided to regret what she did and apologize?! There’s no way Button would ever buy that.

“It took you this long to say that…?” He muttered. Sweetie looked at him, being taken back a bit.

“Button, I just wanted to—“

“You know, you’ve got some nerve thinking I’d accept your weak apology,” he began, cutting Sweetie Belle off midsentence. “What, did Cheerilee put you up to this? She must’ve, because if you really felt sorry for me, you would’ve let me down gently all that time ago! Or at the very least apologize a few days after you broke my heart into pieces!” Button yelled, raising his voice at her as he slammed his hoof down on the table

The other three gave surprised looks as they heard Button rant at his former crush. This was a side of Button they rarely saw. Although in retrospect, they had a feeling this would happen sooner or later. Even more so that this plan would’ve most likely failed.

“I should’ve known you’d be mad,” Sweetie attempted to reach out to Button, who harshly slapped her hoof away.

“Mad? Oh, no, I don’t get mad…” he began. “I get even!” he said, putting emphasis on the word ‘even’. “Mark my words, Sweetie Belle, you will rue the day you crossed Button Mash,” he told her, taking his joyboy before hopping out of his seat and exiting Sugarcube Corner.

The other three foals looked between each other with concerned faces. Now that Button wanted revenge upon Sweetie Belle, what were they to do now?

What was Sweetie Belle to do now?

Author's Note:

End of Chapter 1. If you have any ideas on how Button might get revenge on Sweetie, be sure to say it in the comment section.