• Published 9th Dec 2015
  • 14,735 Views, 179 Comments

Seeing the Sunset - CoverArt



After a horrible week Sunset decides to end it all.

  • ...
20
 179
 14,735

Savior (Edited)

Sunset fell for a split second before a sharp and excruciating pain came from her shoulder as something grabbed it and stopped her from falling. Her eyes flew open to watch as her head slammed into one of the railings on the bridge.

“Sunset! Are you ok? Please tell me you’re ok!” came a soft, familiar voice. Sunset looked up, her ears were ringing from the hit to the head and she was bleeding from her nose as well as other small cuts. There, somehow managing to hold her up, was Fluttershy, crying. Sunset shook her head a bit trying to clear it. That only succeeded in making her lightheaded.

“J-just help me up Fluttershy, please,” Sunset responded. It was clear from her answer, her voice, and the way she looked, that Sunset wasn’t ok at all. She silently pulled Sunset up, it wasn’t easy but she got Sunset over the railing and into a sitting position. Sunset didn’t fail to notice tears running down her savior’s eyes as Fluttershy got out a med kit from her bag, it never hurt to be prepared. Fluttershy got a handkerchief and started to clean up some of the cuts on Sunset.

“Sunset, why? I know what Rainbow said was mean but…” Fluttershy asked.

“I-I just couldn’t take it anymore Fluttershy, I’m sorry I even tried but… I just thought it was the only way,” Sunset cried. Fluttershy leaned in and hugged her.

“Suicide is never the only way Sunset, now we need to get you to a hospital, then we can call your parents,” Fluttershy said getting out her phone.

“No! You can’t!” Sunset snapped inciting a yelp from Fluttershy.

“But Sunset you’re hurt, I think you might have a concussion at least, and your shoulder might be dislocated.”

“I know… but… I-I don’t have parents Fluttershy, and I can’t pay for my rent let alone medical bills and especially not the money for the school,” Sunset sobbed, “Just leave me here to die Fluttershy, Rainbow’s right I’m not worth saving.”

“Don’t you dare say something like that about yourself Sunset Shimmer!” Fluttershy said seriously,” I know who to call, stay here.”

With that Fluttershy got up and walked a few feet away. Sunset didn’t know whom she was calling and didn’t know if she wanted to know. She tried to stand up but as it turns out, Fluttershy was correct, her shoulder was dislocated. She used her good arm to push herself up… and fell back against the railing of the bridge. Her surroundings spun around her. She must’ve groaned because Fluttershy immediately turned around and rushed to her. She helped Sunset back to the ground.

“Sunset, you shouldn’t stand up right now, just wait a little bit, my moms coming.”

“Your mom?”

“Yea, she’s a nurse, she should be able to help, and in the mean time we should fix your shoulder.”

“A nurse? I thought she was some big time business person.”

“Well… she’s a part time nurse, she can still help. Now I need you to bite on this, this will hurt, I’m sorry,” Fluttershy put the leather strap of her purse in Sunset’s mouth for her to bite on.

“I’m going to do it on the count of three ok?” Fluttershy asked and was answered with a nod, “Ok, One, tw-“

Sunset yelped and bit on the strap as Fluttershy popped the arm back into its socket.

“Sorry,” Fluttershy said, taking her purse back. Sunset brushed some tears from her eyes and rolled her shoulder a bit making sure it still worked.

“It’s ok, I understand, it would have hurt more if you didn’t surprise me like that.”

“You realize we still are going to talk about all of this right?” Fluttershy asked in a deadpan tone.

“Yea… just… not now… please.” Sunset said hugging her legs. Fluttershy smiled at her and rubbed her back.

“Sure, as long as you promise we’ll talk about it, let my mom help you first.”

Sunset nodded and together they sat there in silence much to Sunset’s disappointment. She was alone to her own thoughts and she couldn’t really handle them. Part of her wanted nothing more then to fling herself off the bridge again; the thoughts of her fellow students still racing through her brain. She even contemplated trying to jump again. However, that thinking was cut short when she looked at Fluttershy. Fluttershy, the one person, outside of Twilight, to actually show that they cared about her, even if it wasn’t in terms of friends but basic human decency. She couldn’t just do that to Fluttershy, not that Fluttershy would let her, and not that she had the strength right now to do it anyway. The only thing she could think of doing otherwise was cry, so that’s what she did. She cried into Fluttershy’s shoulder, who offered it to her once she saw Sunset was crying, until Fluttershy’s mom got there. Sunset dried her eyes a bit and looked at Fluttershy’s mom.

She, in a lot of ways, looked like Fluttershy. She had the same build, the same hair color. Her skin was a pale blue though. And her pink hair was short rather then long like Fluttershy’s. She had a worried look on her face. Sunset wasn’t sure what Fluttershy told her mom but she could tell she was taking it seriously. Little words were said as Fluttershy’s mom, Daisy Shy as she found out her name was, inspected her as best she could with a portable med kit she brought.

“Well it doesn’t look like you have a concussion which is good, but I’d still like it if you could stay with us tonight, just to make sure everything is alright,” She said in soft tone, just a bit louder then Fluttershy’s own.

“I- I don’t know, I should go back to my apartment I think,” Sunset said, she was grateful but something inside her wanted her to be alone right now.

“Nonsense, you have no one at home to help you and you took a nasty fall, I insist you come with us to our home,” Daisy said with a small smile. It occurred to Sunset that Fluttershy didn’t tell her mom that she attempted suicide. Sunset appreciated that if nothing else, she didn’t know how to explain it to Fluttershy, let alone an adult.

“I agree Sunset, I’m sure we can stop by your apartment for you to grab some clothes, right mom?” Fluttershy added. She received a nod in response. Sunset had to concede since it was two against one, as well as the fact one was an adult and the other just saved her life. She nodded and they all got up, with aid in the case of Sunset, and got in Daisy’s car. The ride to her apartment was fairly quiet; the only major thing popping up was when Daisy asked Sunset how she fell. Sunset, not fully prepared for that told her that after a fight with Rainbow she ran away and slipped, hitting her head on the railing. Daisy could see through the lie but didn’t push it, knowing if she had to lie then it wasn’t something she wanted to talk about. Instead she sighed.

“That Rainbow Dash, she’s always doing something that get’s someone hurt, what were you two fighting about?”

“Oh, well it isn’t important really, it was just arguing over stuff, she was right really though,” Sunset said rubbing the back of her head.

“No she was not Sunset, how could you even say something like that?” Fluttershy burst out.

“Wait, Sunset as in Sunset Shimmer, the girl who always picked on you Fluttershy?” Daisy asked glancing asked her daughter in the passenger seat.

“Well yes mom, but she’s changed, she isn’t like she used to be.”
Daisy glanced at Sunset in the rearview mirror, “Well alright, but watch yourself, Fluttershy came home in tears a few times because of you.”

“Mom! That isn’t helping, she’s changed ok, I forgive her for all those times.”

Daisy was taken back by this; her daughter was never one for raising her voice at all, “Well ok if you feel so strongly about it.”

The rest of the ride to and from Sunset’s apartment was in small talk about homework and the like. Sunset even managed to crack a smile once or twice from jokes Daisy told them. Unfortunately Sunset couldn’t help but ponder what she was even going to say to Fluttershy. She wanted to keep denying anything was even a problem, she could handle it, and she was a big girl. However, one thought of where dealing with it herself had gotten her quickly threw that idea away. Maybe, She thought, the truth would be the best option. They arrived at Fluttershy’s house a few minutes later and Sunset was allowed to take a shower and get ready for bed while Fluttershy and her mom made dinner. It was only eight o’clock at this point but Sunset was extremely tired so she happily accepted.

Sunset left the bathroom in her pajamas, she walked downstairs and saw Fluttershy and her mom sitting at the table, it looked like they had been talking a bit. Sunset’s mind immediately sprinted to the worst possible scenario, Fluttershy told her mom about her jumping and her mom trying to comfort and get answers out of Sunset. Sunset wasn’t prepared for that at all yet. She could feel the color drain from her face as they turned to see her standing there. They both tilted their heads and Fluttershy’s mother broke the silence.

“Oh, dear, are you alright, you lost the color in your face, do you feel dizzy or anything?”

“N-no ma’am, I feel fine. Um… what were you two talking about?” Sunset asked. The color returned to her face a bit seeing how Fluttershy’s mother was smiling at her in a nice gentle way.

“Oh Fluttershy just told me about your little trouble and asked if we could help in anyway,” She answered. Sunset’s returning color drained in the blink of an eye. Fluttershy, you didn’t, please tell me you didn’t.

“M-my problem?”

“Yes, about you owing money to the school and because you don’t have parents you can’t afford it. I’ll have you know that we would be happy to help you with the money, as long of course as you can pay us back in the future.”

“Oh! Heh heh, yea my money problem, I don’t want to impose Mrs. Shy, I’m sure I can figure something out,” Sunset sighed inwardly in relief.

“In two days dear? Absolutely not, I insist. We can afford to pay it and Celestia and I go way back, she’d believe me when I said I was helping my daughter’s friend’s family out.”

“Th-thank you Mrs. Shy. I don’t know what to say other then that.”

“Think nothing of it dear, now how about a couple of grilled cheeses? Hmm?” The two girls nodded while smiling.

Later that evening Sunset sat on the floor in Fluttershy’s room, she had a blanket and a pillow near her. She was both mentally and physically exhausted after the day she’s had. However, before she can go to bed she still had to talk to Fluttershy about everything. She deserved to know after saving Sunset. But every second Sunset waited for Fluttershy to get out of the shower was another second Sunset doubted if she should tell her. She knew she should but something inside her dreaded the reaction and the comforting, especially the comforting. She liked Fluttershy and her whole personality but something about being comforted in this situation just left a sour taste in Sunset’s mouth. Almost like she wasn’t fit to be her own person. Fluttershy walking back into the room cut her thoughts off however.

“You know you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to,” Fluttershy said with a sad smile.

“No, you deserve to know, I just… don’t know where to start. So I guess I’ll answer any of your questions,” Sunset told her.

“Well ok, I guess my first question is if you’re ok now?”

“I-… Kind of. My head’s all messed up right now. Part of me is still telling me to do something. Another is screaming for self-preservation. But, no matter which side it is they both say it’s all my fault.”

“It’s not your fault Sunset, you made mistakes yes, but this past week hasn’t been your fault. Especially with Rainbow, what she said was completely uncalled for and you can bet I’ll be having a talk with her about this. Um… with your permission that is. I’m sure as soon as she hears what it drove you to she’ll apologize. She can be egotistical but she would never want to drive someone to that.”

“I don’t know Fluttershy. I don’t want to hear the comforting from them. It’s not like they’re my friends, they haven’t even pretended to be since Twilight left.”

“Sunset, you can’t expect any of us to become your friend just like that. But I know for a fact that they would at least try. You haven’t come up to us once this entire week.”

“Fluttershy, I tried talking to you so many times this week, they would always block me and tell me not to go near you. As well as glare at me when I walked by your table. They all hate me.”

“Who blocked you?” Fluttershy asked genuinely confused.

“Mostly Rainbow, although Applejack did it once.”

“Hmm… I’ll have a talk with them. But I know for a fact none of us glared at you, well except for Rainbow and Applejack if they were blocking you from seeing me. But the rest of us want to talk to you and give you a chance. In fact I think you should come with me tomorrow to the mall to meet up with them.”

“What? I-I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Please Sunset? I promise it will do you well to talk to us.”

“You’re not going to let me get out of it are you,” Sunset sighed.

“Nope,” Fluttershy said with a smile.

“Alright. If we’re really going to do this then I definitely need sleep, so I guess goodnight.”

“Goodnight Sunset, and don’t worry, if you need anything in the middle of the night just let me know, and I will always be here to talk if you need.”

“Thanks Fluttershy,” Sunset said crawling under her blanket. She closed her eyes and hoped that a nightmare wouldn’t claim her like the rest of the week had.