• Published 8th Dec 2015
  • 555 Views, 3 Comments

War, Apples, and Love - Island_Dancer96



At Sweet Apple Acres, Applejack is living her life working the orchard and support her family. But little does she know that her life is about to be changed forever…

  • ...
 3
 555

Chapter 5: "I have to go"

The next day and Riley, who had by now completed his military training, had to leave. He was being stationed at Canterlot Airfield in England with the 826th Fighter Group, known as the Wonderbolts. He was appointed as Fighter Group Commander, although any pilot that had been in the squadron longer than him could have easily taken that spot. It was an honor to be chosen, but Riley didn't want to go.

Applejack nuzzled him before he climbed into his Mustang, there was such lonesomeness in her eyes already that Riley couldn't look into her eyes. He instead looked at Applebloom. In only a day he had grown fond of the little girl and he had formed a very special bond with her. She knew enough to know that Riley was leaving.


Riley looked away and turned, "I have to go."

"I know, Riley," Applejack sighed, "I know. Just be safe. And DON'T DIE!" She said.

Riley forced a smile, "I will, I promise. I'll be back before you know it." He said. He told Applejack to get away from the plane as he he started the plane's engine. Then Riley blew a kiss at Applejack as he taxied away.

Soon the entire farm was filled with the sound of the massive inline engine. Riley taxied towards the runway. Once on the runway, Riley closed the canopy and opened the throttle to full power. "Be safe, sugarcube." Applejack said as she watched Riley's Mustang take off, circle the farm and fly towards Galveston. As Riley circled overhead the orchard, he looked out his canopy and once he saw Applejack and Applebloom, he waved goodbye and set a course for the Galveston air station. In fact, as Riley's Mustang approached the Galveston station, he had no way of knowing that bad times were ahead, for everyone in the Apple family.

Applejack sat down sighing.

Big Mac put a hand on her shoulder. "He'll be okay Applejack… He's a grown man, he can take care of himself." He said, reassuring his sister.

"That doesn't mean I'm not gonna worry." She said. "That's part of my job as his girlfriend… But I know he'll do it… He trained in the Wonderbolts too… They never give up… And he won't either."

"Just please keep your promise Riley….Come back alive…" Applejack sighed as she saw Riley's P-51D Mustang fly off.