• Published 5th Dec 2015
  • 328 Views, 1 Comments

Life in Ponyville - On a Hearth's Warming - SeaBreeze173



Ponyville is a place of love, friendship and harmony. It is also a place of grief and heartbreak. But sometimes the things that break us can mend us too.

  • ...
5
 1
 328

Part 1: Bells are Ringing - Chapter 1:Wedding Bells

On a Hearth's Warming by SeaBreeze173

Chapter 1: Wedding Bells

The day had finally come. Sea Breeze could hardly contain her excitement. Today was the day she would be marrying her love, Thunder Bolt.

Seven years ago she and her family moved to the small town of Ponyville. Her famous parents, Delegates drummer, Bass Tempo and award winning book author, Amethyst Rose, wanted their children to be able to grow up in a place where their status would not make a difference.

Sea Breeze never had many friends growing up, except for a unicorn by the name of Twilight Sparkle. Twilight’s parents, Night Light and Twilight Velvet, were longtime friends of Bass and Amethyst, Velvet and Amethyst having known each other since they were young fillies. Despite Twilight and Sea having a three year age difference, their friendship was deep, to the point of the two practically being sisters.

Thunder Bolt and Sea Breeze met in a fairytale like kind of way. Sea never thought that she would meet her true love on a train, much less run into him again that same afternoon. Over time, Bolt and Sea became friends, a friendship that would bloom into something more.

After many weeks of spending time with each other, Bolt introduced her to his seven friends: the twins, Stone Brook and Skye Racer, the cousins, Sweet Heart and Phoenix, Moon Glow, Glacier and Red Knight. Sea was warmly welcomed into their group and she formed close friendships with the mares of the group.

After he proposed, Bolt told Sea of how he went about asking her father for permission, only be told to ask the dog.

All of Ponyville knew that Sea Breeze had a dog by the name of Angus. He was a large black and white mutt with a curled tail and ears which had a mind of their own. Most days he could be found either glued by Sea’s side or asleep in a sun beam on the front porch of his home. Other days he would be sitting guard at the base of a near by tree, a familiar brown and blond pegasus perched on a branch above with an expression of aggravation reflected on his face, Sea not far away, attempting—and failing—to hold back her snorts and giggles.

As the years went by, Angus began to develop a tolerance for the stallion, that tolerance eventually building into a friendship with the one who loved his mistress, though the dog still liked to push between the lovers when he felt that their affection got to be too hooves-on, so to speak. Doing so usually got him some affection, however he had been told off a few times, to which he always responded with a woof, whine, yawn and grumble, in that order.

Sea Breeze stood in the makeshift dressing room; a white tent set up in a field on the outskirts of town. One of Twilight’s friends, Rarity, fussed at the pegasus’ unruly mane.

There were five other white tents. Beside her tent were four tents set up together, three serving as covering for tables, a dance floor and DJ table. The fourth tent, set up a few feet away, was for the caterers, including Twilight’s friend, Applejack and her husband, Caramel. Their twin daughters, Cortland and Cameo, along with Fluttershy and Big Mac’s filly, Honey Rose, waddled around the tent and consistently evaded the capture of their Aunt Applebloom.

On the other side of those tents was the fifth. It served as the dressing area for the stallions of the wedding party.

The day was perfect, an unseasonably warm late autumn day. The sky was mostly clear, a few fluffy white clouds floating across the blue sky. The wind blew softly, carrying the scent of apples from Sweet Apple Acres.

“Sea, dear, are you in here?” Amethyst pushed back the tent flap. The white and pink pegasus had gained a few more laugh lines on her face and there were a few pounds more on her waist, but her emerald green eyes still sparkled with mirth. The older mare gasped when she caught sight of her daughter. Sea turned slightly, wincing as she did, Rarity having pulled sharply with the comb just as she turned.

“Hi, Momma,” Sea smiled painfully.

“Sea, would you pleeeaaase be still. Your coiffure is just as important as your dress,” Rarity wrapped her magic around Sea’s head and gently pulled it back into position. Amethyst slowly walked up beside the unicorn, a few tears brimming up in her eyes.

“You look gorgeous, honey.”

Sea’s dress was ivory with a light green trim. The train of the dress was short, trailing only about two feet behind Sea’s hooves. The sleeves were a see through fabric, four light green leaves embroidered along each sleeve.

Rarity was currently trying to get Sea’s bangs to fall a certain way. The rest of her mane was in loose curls and pulled back with a green ribbon, the blue and burgundy colors weaving around each other. Her three year old filly, Ruby, tried to catch the ribbons her mother levitated just out of her reach.

“No, no, Ruby. These are Mommy’s ribbons. Um,” Rarity levitated a scrap piece. “Here, darling, play with this,” the red and white filly giggled and grabbed the ribbon. Rarity shook her head and smiled at her daughter.

“You don’t look so bad yourself, Momma,” Sea smiled at her mother, noticing her dress.

“What, this old thing?” Amethyst rolled her eyes. “I wore this to my wedding’s reception. Twenty-five years ago. I’m actually surprised it still fits,” Amethyst laughed. She was wearing a simple, yet elegant pink dress with white lace on the sleeves and collar that looked as if it were brand new.

“You’re still beautiful,” Sea said, making Amethyst tear up once more.

“Finally!” Rarity cheered. “I’ve never had such a hard time with a mane,” Rarity paused. “Wait, yes I did. Rainbow’s mane was a nightmare to style when she was married.”

Suddenly, five mares burst into the tent, another following behind at a less crazy pace.

“We aren’t late, are we!?” Sweet Heart glanced around in panic.

“Chill, cuz. We good,” Phoenix rolled her eyes at her cousin.

“It doesn’t hurt to be worried, Nixie,” Sweet Heart snapped. “This is a wedding. Sea’s wedding,”

“Were you this panicked during your own wedding?” Phoenix asked.

Moon Glow groaned. “I can believe you just asked that,”

“Well she still needs to relax. She’s ten months pregnant. Last thing we need is a birthing in the middle of the ceremony,”

Sweet Heart grumbled as she made her way over to Sea, her purple dress ruffling as she walked. She, Moon, Phoenix and Sea’s sister, Daisy Juniper, were Sea’s bridesmaids. Instead of getting her friends to wear matching dresses, she wanted them to choose their own colors. Her only request was for them to be similar styles.

Sea had had a hard time deciding which of her friends would be her Mare of Honor. She didn’t want to choose one friend (including her sister) and make the others jealous. That is, until each one suggested Sea’s longtime friend, Twilight Sparkle. Twilight had eagerly jumped at being Sea’s wedding planner, making sure everything was perfect for the pegasus. She was moved to tears when Sea asked her to be her Mare of Honor.

Sea smiled at her friends. “Sweet Heart, you are absolutely glowing. How’s the little tyke?”

Sweet Heart rubbed her swollen belly. “He’s doing just wonderful. It’s his mother you should be asking about,” the pink pegasus laughed, giving Sea a hug.

“Have you and Stone decided on a name yet?”

“Not yet. We have several written down, but we want the perfect name for our little colt,”

“I’m sure you two will choose the best one,”

Daisy Juniper and River, Bolt’s older sister, trotted over to Sea and Amethyst. Rarity, having finished with Sea, left to retrieve her own dress and get Ruby ready.

“You look like a princess, Sis!” Junie smiled broadly. The pink and blonde filly had grown into a tall and beautiful young mare of eighteen. Though art was her special talent, the pink pegasus loved ballet and so worked as an assistant at her ballet school, teaching young fillies and colts the ways of ballet. Junie was wearing a butter yellow dress that went beautifully with her pink and blonde mane. She had a butter yellow ribbon braided into her mane. Another ribbon was tied at the dock of her tail in a bow.

“My brother is going to faint when he catches eye of you, Almost-Sis,” River grinned. River was Bolt’s Best Mare. She wore a dark blue dress that rippled when she walked, making it look like ocean waves.

“I hope not. I would prefer the groom be conscious when we say our vows,” Sea laughed. “Does Flame have the girls?”

River nodded, giggling. “Honey and Pepper are running the poor stallion ragged. I never would have thought that two five year old fillies could be such troublemakers,”

“Six minutes!” Twilight cheered as she trotted into the tent. She ran as quickly as she could to Sea Breeze without tripping over her dress. “I can’t believe my best friend is getting married!” The alicorn squealed happily, hugging the grey pegasus.

“I know!” Sea squealed back. Twilight let go and stepped back.

“Does Bolt have the rings?” She asked. River shook her head.

“He doesn’t, but the ring bearer does,”

“Ring bearer? But I thought Bolt was keeping them,” Twilight furrowed her brows, a panicked tone rising in her voice.

“Don’t worry, they’re safe,” Sea smiled. She saw the tent flap flutter as something came through. The pegasus smirked.

“Here’s our ring bearer now,” Sea stepped around Twilight and River to see a large black and white dog. His face was mostly silver now and he had a slight limp in his front left leg from a injury when he was younger where arthritis had set in, but the giant pooch still looked as fit as he did seven years before. His markings already made it look as if he had a permanent tuxedo on; a collar with a black bow tie tied on completed his “outfit”. Hanging on the collar’s ‘D’ ring was box containing the rings.

Twilight stared slack jawed at the sight before her.

“Angus? Angus is the ring bearer?”

“Bolt and I were talking and we came to subject of Angus. I wanted to include my boy in the wedding and this seemed like a cute way to do it. Besides, Bolt had to ask him permission to marry me. It only seemed right to let Angus bring us the rings,”

“Wait, wait, wait. Back up. Bolt had to ask a dog if he could have your hoof in marriage. You didn’t tell me this part of the story,”

Sea chuckled. “Angus growled at Bolt first. Daddy had to reassure him,”

Twilight shook her head in disbelief. “And I thought Shining was bad,” a thought came to her. “Do not let your dog and my brother together.” Twilight glanced at the watch she had on her arm. “Ah! Two minutes! Places everypony! Places! River! Get Bolt!”


A brown and blonde pegasus stallion paced back and forth in front of the stallion’s dressing tent. He pulled at the collar of his tuxedo and shook his mane out. He had nervous sweat dripping from his forehead.

“Bolt!” River smiled as she trotted to her brother. “It’s about time to—whoa, you’re a wreck,”

“Well what do you expect?” Bolt huffed. “I’m getting married for Celestia’s sake! Do you even know what that’s like?!” River stared at her brother with a blank expression.

“Seriously? Flame and I just celebrated our sixth wedding anniversary, you nimrod. You have twin nieces, in case you forgot.”

“Oh, right,” Bolt chuckled. River sighed.

“Look, kid, I know you’re nervous. Dad said Flame was a nutcase on our wedding day. But remember who it is you’re marrying. A kind, pretty, loving mare is waiting to become your wife. Don’t pay attention to anypony but her and you’ll be fine,”

Bolt smiled and wrapped an arm around his sister. “Thanks, Riv. You’re the best sister ever,”

“I know,” River laughed. “Now, let’s get you married. I want nieces and nephews as soon as possible,”

“Riv!”


The band began playing the Bridal Chorus as Bass Tempo led his daughter down the aisle. Before them trotted the three flower fillies: Princess Skyla, daughter of Shining Armor and Princess Cadence, and twins Honey Lemon and Pepper Mint, Bolt’s nieces.

On the left side of the aisle stood Sea’s family; Golden Oak and Sapphire, her paternal grandparents, Uncle Fire Stone, Bass’ brother, Amethyst, Sea’s maternal grandmother, April Rose and all her other aunts, uncles and cousins from her mother’s side. Behind them stood Twilight’s parents, Night Light and Twilight Velvet, her brother and sister-in-law and her friends, their husbands in attendance as well. Even after five years, Sea still startled slightly whenever she saw Rainbow Dash’s husband, Soarin of the Wonderbolts. In Rainbow’s hooves struggled their three year old colt, Boomer.

On the right side of the aisle stood all of Bolt’s family. His parents, Thunder Cloud and Ocean Light and his brother-in-law, Flame Warden, along with Bolt’s grandparents, his uncle and aunt, and his cousins.

The rest of the audience included the families of Sea’s bridesmaids and Bolt’s groomsmen, Glacier’s family being the largest. Also sitting in the crowd were Sea’s honorary uncles, the rest of the Delegates, Eight Note, Mystic Rhythm, Rock Blues and Step Beat.

Bass Tempo and Sea reached the steps leading up to the makeshift alter. Bass lifted the veil covering Sea’s face and kissed her cheek, not expecting it when Sea swung her arms around her father’s neck and hugged him tightly.

“I love you, Daddy,” Sea smiled.

“I love you, too, Pal,” Bass smiled back, trying to hold back his tears.

Sea turned and walked up the steps, grinning at her friends and sister. She hoofed her bouquet to Twilight and turned to see the stallion who stole her heart smiling lovingly at her. She caught sight of Skye Racer, one of Bolt’s groomsmen and friends, wiping his face as if he had been crying. The sight of it nearly made her laugh out loud.

The band ceased playing as Mayor Mare, the wedding’s officiate, stepped forward and motioned for the audience to be seated.

“We are gathered—” the mayor paused as loud bawling drowned out her words. She peered into the audience to see Shining Armor crying his eyes out. Cadence had a hoof over her face while Twilight had an expression of “seriously?” plastered on her face. Mayor Mare simply shook her head and continued.

“We are gathered here on this beautiful day to witness the union of this mare and this stallion. I believe that they have written their own vows. Bolt, would you like to begin?”

Bolt nodded, clearing his throat.

“Sea, I never thought that when I got on that train seven years ago that I would meet the most beautiful mare in Equestria. I guess one could say that it was love at first sight. As I got to know you during your first weeks here in Ponyville, I began to find out more about myself. These past seven years have been the best years and I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you.” Sea felt a tear fall down her cheek. Bolt continued.

“You bring out the good in me. And although your dog put me through a lot, I never backed down,” Bolt turned to the dog sitting at the bottom of the alter steps. “Angus, thanks for giving me permission to marry your awesome momma.” The audience laughed as Angus woofed at Bolt in return.

Sea chuckled lightly as Bolt turned back to her.

“Geez, how can I top that?” She said, earning another chuckle from her friends and family. Gazing up into Bolt’s eyes, she began her vows.

“Bolty, when I came here to Ponyville, I was a shy, timid filly with an overgrown lap dog as her only friend. I had Twilight, but she and I had not been together for nearly eight years. When I met you and then all your amazing friends, it was the first time that I felt I really belonged somewhere. I wasn’t just the daughter of Bass Tempo and Amethyst Rose, I was my own pony.

“Never in a million years did I think I would fall in love. I thought I had all the love I needed from my family, and from my sweet Angus. But then I run into something while on the train to Ponyville. I get knocked on my butt and the first thing I see is a muscular brown chest. I look up and there is the most gorgeous blue eyes I have ever seen worriedly gazing down at me. I think my heart stopped for several seconds. And here I am now, those gorgeous blue eyes once more gazing into mine. I don’t see worry in them this time. I see love. I love you, Bolt and it is the most wonderful thing,”

Mayor Mare quickly wiped a hoof over her face to remove the tear stains. There was not a dry eye in the audience.

“May we have the rings, please?”

Sea turned to Angus. “Come here, baby,” she called. Angus slowly walked up the steps to his mistress, sitting politely between Sea and Bolt. Bolt reached up his hoof and held the ring box while Sea opened it and retrieved the rings, which were hung on chain necklaces. She kept the one meant for Bolt while giving him hers.

“Now, Bolt, repeat after me,” Mayor Mare began. “Sea Breeze, with this ring, I thee wed,”

“Sea Breeze, with this ring, I thee wed,”

“To love and to cherish, in good times and in bad, until death do we part,”

“To love and to cherish, in the good times and the bad, until death do we part,” Bolt lifted the necklace over Sea’s head and let it rest on her neck.

The mayor turned to Sea. “Sea, repeat after me. Thunder Bolt, with this ring, I thee wed,”

“Thunder Bolt, with this ring, I thee wed,” Sea smiled up at Bolt.

“To love and to cherish, in good times and in bad, until death do we part,”

“To love and to cherish, in good times and in bad, until death do we part,” Sea lifted the necklace over Bolt’s head and let it rest on his neck.

“I now pronounce you stallion and wife. You may kiss—” Sea didn’t wait for the mayor to finish. She jumped up and wrapped her hooves around Bolt’s neck, kissing him deeply. Bolt pulled Sea close and dipped her low, kissing her back with as much passion as he could muster.

“Oh, well, you may kiss the groom,” the mayor chuckled. The audience stood and applauded for the newlyweds. Angus eyed the scene in front of him. If a dog could roll his eyes, Angus would be doing it.

Bolt pulled Sea back to her hooves and embraced her. Hoof in hoof, they descended the alter steps and down the aisle. Half way down the aisle Bolt twisted around to see Angus still sitting where they left him.

“C’mon, Bud,” Bolt smiled.


“And now, the Father Daughter Dance,” Twilight said into the microphone. She nodded to Red Knight, who began the music. Bass took Sea’s hoof and led her onto the dance floor.

Gotta hold on easy as I let you go
Gonna tell you how much I love, though you think you already know.
I remember when I thought you looked like an angel
Wrapped in pink so soft and warm
You’ve had me wrapped ‘round your hoof since the day you were born.

Sea smiled up at her dad as he attempted to sniff back the tears.

You’re beautiful baby from the outside in,
Chase your dreams but always know
The road that’ll lead you home again.
Go on take on this whole world
But to me you know you’ll always be
My Little Girl

Bolt stood beside Amethyst as they watched Sea and Bass.

“I’ve never seen a stallion love his little filly as much as he does,” Amethyst smiled.

Sometimes you’re asleep I whisper “I love you”
In the moonlight at your door.
As I walk away I here you say, “Daddy love you more.”

You’re beautiful baby from the outside in,
Chase your dreams but always know
The road that’ll lead you home again.
Go on take on this whole world
But to me you know you’ll always be
My Little Girl

Someday some colt will come and ask me for your hoof
But I won’t say yes to him unless I know he’s the half that makes you whole

“I still can’t believe he said to ask the pooch,” Bolt chuckled, glancing down at Angus who was lying at his hooves, his silver face laid over his equally silver paws. Amethyst shook her head.

“He knew that Angus would make sure you’re a good one,” she replied, patting Bolt’s hoof.

You’re beautiful baby from the outside in,
Chase you dreams but always know
The road that’ll lead you home again.
Go on take on this whole world
But to me you know you’ll be
My Little Girl.


“I’ll always be your little girl, Daddy,” Sea said, hugging Bass tightly as the music came to an end.

“No matter how old you get,” Bass smiled.

Everypony stomped their hooves as the two parted. Bass went to Amethyst, who nuzzled him gently.

“Our baby’s all grown up,” Amethyst sighed, gazing at Sea and Bolt as they kissed lovingly. She glanced up at her husband. “Are you going to be okay?”

“Bolt’s a good boy. He’ll take care of my girl.” Bass saw Angus get between the newlyweds. The elderly canine pawed at his mistress, begging for some attention. Sea bent down and hugged her pet, not caring about the multiple black hairs she was getting on her dress.

Bass chuckled, wrapping an arm around Amethyst. “They’ll both take care of our girl.”


“Don’t have that colt until I get back!” Sea hugged Sweet Heart, the rest of her and Bolt’s friends surrounding them.

“Ya might as well just stay here, then, Breeze,” Phoenix chuckled. Sweet Heart glared at her cousin.

“Don’t worry, you’ll be the first to hold him when he arrives,” Sweetie smiled.

“Just leave the colt’s father out of the fun, huh?” Stone grumbled playfully.

“You’ve already had your fun, bro,” Skye patted his twin’s shoulder. Stone glared at his brother.

“You might be the one in the Royal Guard, but I can still kick you clean to Fillydelphia,”

“Knock it off, boys,” Sweet Heart said.

Bolt and Sea climbed into the carriage which would be taking them to the train station. They would be taking the train to Manehatten and then would get on an airship to their honeymoon destination; Bitaly.

“Oh wait! I have to throw the bouquet!” Sea laughed. “Is everypony ready?”

“Throw it!” All her unmarried mare friends shouted. Twilight stood over to the side with Shining Armor and Cadence, her coltfriend standing behind her.

Sea turned around and threw the flowers over her head. She twisted back around to see who caught them. She laughed at the sight before her. Somehow the bouquet had bypassed all the mares at the front and landed right at Twilight’s hooves. Beside the purple Alicorn Sea saw Cadence, her horn glowing.

“Uh,” Twilight stuttered. Shining’s eyes widened and turned to glare at the orange and blue pegasus behind him.

“I had nothing to do with this, sir! Honest!” Flash Sentry said quickly.

“Bye Twilight!” Sea called, giggling as she did. She hopped in the carriage beside Bolt and pulled the door shut.

“Sea Breeze!” Twilight shouted on deaf ears.

Author's Note:

My Little Girl - Tim Mcgraw.

I always think of my dad when I here this. I thought it would be perfect for Sea and Bass Tempo's Father-Daughter Dance:twilightsmile:

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of On a Hearth's Warming. Updates should be once a week (every Friday) until the end of part 1. Thanks for reading!