• Published 10th Oct 2019
  • 506 Views, 18 Comments

The Prelude, Illuminate the Shadows Book 1 - SaphireTsuki



Her only hope was the young one would be safe here. All she could wish for was a dream. All that was needed was a single home, filled with love, and a way for their people to move forward, out of those shadows.

  • ...
0
 18
 506

5 Exposition

Alicorns, my daughter, are quite powerful. Unlike normal ponies, each embodies the aspects of their respective magic. Indeed, Alicorn magic is among the most potent and difficult to control of all. Unicorns can only use some spells related to their talents, usually, but Alicorns may wield all magic if given enough training. They can stand upon the clouds, or bend nature to their will, and of course, they can craft the most powerful of spells. It is said that they are of divine origin, though none have proof of such any longer. All that is known of them, is that they are born.

Yes, an Alicorn may, as you might have heard, be born originally as some other form of pony. Perhaps they were a pegasus, or an earth pony, but regardless of how they began their destiny is always and eternally pointing towards their growth into an Alicorn. Alicorns are immortal, so no matter how old they are as a normal pony, once they discover and reach a certain level of mastery over their Alicorn magic they will transform into an Alicorn in their prime. The growth of an Alicorn is directly related to their individual power, however individual power is not the only form of magic an Alicorn can embody. Even a Queen who has gorged herself on the love of another can only match an Alicorn when their magic is limited, such as one that is inherently powerful.

Harmony magic, after all, was first wielded by the ancient Alicorns.

SE 1015

Nopony expected to find the princesses to spend their days and nights buried in paperwork. Even if those who thought about some of their duties had some idea what it was like to rule a nation, they still would have assumed that most of the paperwork would be handled by others. Indeed, aside from functions, public appearances, and the occasional holding of court, Princess Celestia spent the majority of her time hunched over her desk, going over the mountains of paperwork that made up the inner workings of the nation. Her office, all gold and pastels, was quiet and organized.

Her sister, Princess Luna, had it no better. Whilst she was not beholden to the land of Equestria, she had been being sent more and more resources from the Lunar Empire, as they so called themselves. This had, of course, greatly surprised Celestia. She had known that the thestrals were isolationist, but the more information she saw her sister going through when not dreamwalking, the more she was faced with the realization that she had had what was essentially a small protectorate for a thousand years... and had never once so much as visited the heart of their land. The hostility they had held for thousands of years towards her little ponies finally made sense, even if it had been more passive-aggressive than openly so. So it was that the white-coated, rainbow maned, and extremely tall older sister of the Diarchs was only mildly startled when her younger sister ran into the room.

"Sister, thou must see this!" Celestia looked up to see her sister, coat dark as night and mane like the starry sky, with her horn alight and a missive in magic. Carefully Celestia moved her work to their places in the many different shelves and holding cabinets along one wall, the silence of the room only broken by the crackling of her fireplace and the sounds of things being put tidily away. After that, a chair was retrieved from it's spot in the corner, and another cup of tea prepared for the two of them. Her last one had gone cold, so now was as good a time as any to set a new one.

"Please, take a seat." She gestured with one hoof at the now present seat, which Luna sat in. "Now, what is bothering you? You're certainly up very early."

"We had woken to peruse materials sent by Our Empire," Her muzzle scrunched slightly in a grimace, "We never expected such to cross Our lips, We must apologize to thee for Our citizen's failure to integrate, following Our-" A pause, and then she waved a hoof before correcting herself, "My banishment."

"Luna," Celestia began, her tone the same motherly one she used when comforting her student: calm, measured, and with a hint of gentle chiding, "You know you are not responsible for them going into hiding."

"We are-" Again she stopped herself, taking a calming breath, "That is not the point, sister." After taking a sip of the tea, and noting that it was not to her taste, she continued. "I have found some information that I want you to look through." With the hum of magic she placed the papers on the desk, which Celestia proceeded to read.

"A magic source of this power..." Celestia hummed, "I understand. Luna, would you undertake this project?" Said sister straightened, if it were even possible, swallowing her sip of tea quickly.

"Sister?"

"You found it, Luna." A motherly, or in this case sisterly, smile spread across Celestia's face, "It is only fair that you are given any credit for the research." She cut off Luna's attempted complaint, "Leave the matter of permission to me, and focus only on discovering what this source is. There is, of course, the chance that it is a threat... but even then, knowing about it beforehoove will only help."

Luna took a calming breath, "Very well, sister." Her face carefully emotionless she stepped out of her sister's office, and began to craft a plan in her mind. First, she would have to find researchers, and guards for them. This meant, of course, that she would have to speak directly with those who had found it, and thus visit the Starsea Forest. She stepped into the throne room after a moment, taking her seat at the Lunar Throne. She prepared for another night with only a few petitioners. She had no idea just how this meeting would change the Equestrian world view.

A scant few hours before, Moonlight and Silent Gaze had arrived. It was indeed only a short time before the two had to go to the castle, but not before they made their way to the city and had done a few things. First, gathering of goods. The two noticed the occasional bright, colorful butterfly-pony, but neither of them associated such with the reformed changelings. In the first place, they were highly different from what Moonlight had read from her mother regarding their species. There was no telltale sense of a voice, though as a changeling without a Hive it might simply be she did not know what to look for, and they were radiating love towards everyone. She, as a good changeling, drew some of their love whenever near. If they were giving it out, why not? More importantly, however, they were going about without any sort of disguise.

Clearly they were not changelings. The Hunters, her mother claimed, would have sought them out if they were. Mother knew everything about changelings, so they must be something else, though she didn't know what. She wasn't about to ask, either. Curious she may be, but she was not stupid... this was not the Empire, this was Equestria.

The town itself was marvelous, all spires and each building seemed to be a strange mix of regal and... something else she did not have the word for. (Plant-like?) There were many spires, as she had noticed earlier, but there was also a lot of glass, and each house the two of them saw had a fireplace inside it. A fireplace! Weren't they scared of their home catching fire? And some of them were so big! Though her father had no clue where to go to have fun, Moonlight was enjoying having her idea of what a town was shattered so completely, to the point where she didn't even mind- were those curtains outside the building? How cool! "Father, look! Those curtains are on the outside of the building!"

"Now I'm sure-" He turned to their destination, stopping mid sentence. "Actually, you're right... I don't understand da- Canterlot ponies." The two of them, with no further preamble, stepped into the store, to be met with a salespony with a pale yellow coat and stylish light green mane.

"Welcome to Rarity's Canterlot Boutique!" The two winced, not expecting such a bright welcome. "Oh, a thestral. I haven't seen one of you in here before..."

"How did-"

"I know you were a thestral? Why it's all in the feathers." The unicorn's horn lit up in magic the same warm brown color as their eyes, dragging over several different pieces, "Pegasi have feathers like a hawk or dove, not an owl. Yours are also much larger. I was hired just a month ago, you see, before then I had been apprenticed to a-"

"We don't need fancy-"

"Ah, but you aren't here to listen to me prattle on." He, for Moonlight could now tell that he was a stallion, as he... well, marehandled her Father with practiced movements. "You are here to meet with the Princess, yes?" Several options were put back on the rack, leaving only the simplest. "Yes, for you, just a simple coat and scarf. Wouldn't want to hide your natural mane." With that he released the much bemused Silent Gaze, who wobbled slightly, before shaking his head. "I can't imagine why you would have left the Empire, but it must be important!"

"S-sir?" Moonlight could tell he was nice enough, at least, so she tried to interrupt.

"Ah, what a darling filly you are!" She winced, his enthusiasm was so... sweet and bubbly. Before he could get started, she raised her voice a bit louder, like Silent had taught her.

"We just need something warm." Sure, she'd love to wear some of these pretty dresses, but... they didn't have the gold for it, right? She glanced at Silent, hoping to see approval in his eyes.

"Ah, of course!" He blinked, but inwardly waved off the admonition, "Well then, this way to the winter section!" Why wasn't it in front? It was winter right now, right? "Though I still think we should get you something for that meeting with the Princess! You're in luck, it's Night Court day, you know? I think that both should..." Father and daughter shared a bemused look as the salespony continued to ramble while fitting them with a set of boots, scarves, and earmuffs each. Silent in dark colors and Moonlight in white to offset the blue. Moonlight, while waiting for Silent to come out, continued to look at the various dresses from her seat. She was watching over the saddlebags. It was a very important job that only she could do!

Silent came out, another package in his mouth, and put said package in his saddlebags. "Good job, Moonlight." She beamed at the praise, and the two of them, wearing their purchases and payment made, left to head directly to the castle. Approximately halfway through the lowering of the sun began, both stopping where they could watch it set. Under the Starsea Forest they could rarely see the sky clearly without flying above the treeline, so it was rare that anypony, let alone wanderers, would be able to see the setting of the Sun and rising of the Moon. Once the last light of dusk had faded Silent and Moonlight, shivering still from the cold of a mountain in winter, moved on, Silent gently prodding the changeling princess to move forwards, as opposed to staring at the emerging stars. The two would have plenty of time to do that when they moved out of civilisation, to the wild weather outside of Equestria's land.

In but a few hours they arrived at the castle, made their request to enter the Night Court, and were told to wait in an opulent room with several couches to one side, a vase in each corner, and several pots of Lavender. The room did have several other ponies, mostly nobles who wore the arrogant expression of those who are so certain that they have the upper hand. On the other side of the room, the entrance to the hall in front of the Throne Room, stood two thestral guards. There was no avoiding them, though as a unicorn Silent Gaze doubted they would think that Moonlight was the same Changeling Royal they had lost track of so long ago.

The two waited for about an hour, watching as several pairs of petitioners entered, and then left. Some on their own four hooves, some held aloft in wing, and a few more with expressions of anger, disgust, and only a few of triumph. Moonlight had already gone through the gambit of excited, nervous, panicky, and tired, and had settled on somewhere between nausea and curiosity. Silent Gaze had spent the time pretending to preen his wings, but instead watching over his daughter and the guards, whom had not even the slightest hint of recognition in their eyes.

"Silent Gaze and Moonlight." Their names called, both of them got to their hooves, Moonlight scrabbling in youthful nerves and Silent Gaze with the poise of a trained professional. The thestral guard who looked them over huffed, "The Sovereign must truly be bored, to meet with you..." Ah, wonderful, Silent thought, This one has already written the two of us off. We might yet get away with this... especially if the rumors of our Sovereign's backlog are accurate.

They walked into the Throne Room, each hoofstep echoing in the largely empty room. Once they had crossed three quarters of the room, Silent bowed himself, wings placed so they bent touching the ground, which Moonlight copied, minus the wings of course. "Sovereign," he began, slipping into the practiced tones of a guardspony, "I am Silent Gaze, and this is my daughter: Moonlight." He slid into silence, while Moonlight, shaking slightly, opened one eye just enough to look upon the starry-maned form of the Alicorn of the Night.

"Stand, Silent Gaze and Moonlight. My supplicants need not fear, so long as they are honest." The two did, "Approach the dias." Both walked towards the steps, but remained off of them, neither placing a hoof beyond the guards. Luna nodded, regality seeming to pour out of her. Moonlight, for her part, found her shaking subsiding. This pony held deep love for her subjects, it was actually quite awe inspiring, and if she had not been taught to keep herself hidden, she might have blurted something out to that effect. Luna, seeing this, rolled her eyes before finishing, "What needst th- you this night?"

"My Sovereign, there is... something that you must know. I have brought a letter intended for you." He pulled out the letter, pausing each time the guards showed any sign of aggression, only continuing once Luna signalled them to stand down. Once the letter was placed in sight, he bowed once more whilst Luna lit her horn, and summoned the paper to her. This letter, the same that had been found within the manuscript written by Queen Polaris, was read by the Princess. Slowly her aura changed, from calm and deep love to... well, concern and anger.

"The Lunar Empire... I was not informed of such a treaty."

"It was not finalized completely until the last of the rebellion was quelled, Sovereign."

"And the changeling Princess in question?" Silet paused, but before he could say anything himself Moonlight pushed herself to stand. She took a few steps forward, before half-bowing in what she had read was a greeting from one royal to another, one hoof held daintily up.

"My-" She paused, took a breath, "Princess Luna of Equestria, Sovereign of the Lunar Empire, and Alicorn of the Night, I, Princess Moonlight, greet you." With a slow dance of fire, steady, almost as though it were liquid over her body, danced upward to reveal her true form, the horn and wings last to reveal themselves. "It is a pleasure to meet one such as yourself." The words, practiced though they were, were still quite awkward in her mouth. She sounded exactly like a child using words they did not fully understand.

Luna, for her part, was stunned. Here, before her very eyes, was a young nymph that claimed to be a royal. The only proof of such were her slitted eyes, and disguise magic strong enough to fool the wards around the castle. Yet, even so, Luna could not deny her claim, if only out of ignorance. The guards reacted instantly to the presence of an unreformed changeling, holding spears at the ready aimed at her. It would be easy, Luna knew, to let the sudden and irrational dislike of the child take over, but the flash of unguarded fear at the spears, and yet steady determination which kept Moonlight from taking even one step back, reminded Luna of a younger her.

So, willfully shoving aside her concern for the moment, she ordered with the force of a leader, "Stand down, Night Guard." Both looked at her, then each other, and returned to their resting positions, yet Moonlight's posture never faltered. Luna stood, walking down the steps to be even with Moonlight, who in her natural form barely came up to Luna's knees. She looked from Moonlight, to the now crouched for action Silent Gaze, and spoke to him, "Silent Gaze. You claimed this changeling as your daughter. Why is this so?"

"That is because she is, Sovereign." Her stern expression remained, even as Moonlight dropped one hoof and looked Luna in the eyes, to which the older princess merely glanced. "I adopted Moonlight three years ago, both of us have travelled Starsea Forest since. In this time she has not once sought to harm anypony else, she is a child, and should not be punished for another Queen's actions."

"And the letter?"

This was just getting ridiculous, why was she ignoring Moonlight? With a stomp of her right forehoof Moonlight caught the Princess' attention, "This letter was placed within an object held for me, we sought your counsel as soon as we were given it." There was a hint of accusation, Luna was being quite rude at the moment!

"I was not speaking to you, Princess Moonlight." Moonlight flinched, curling in and meeping at this point. OK, maybe trying to hold her own was... rude. "Ah... I see, you have not been taught decorum." Moonlight, sensing the out, shook her head violently. "Very well then. Silent Gaze, what is it that you wish from U- me?"

"My Sovereign, I... wish to accompany my daughter. Even if she must go to this... Royal Conclave, she is my daughter." He didn't know what Luna's decision would be, of course, but... surely she would not deny him this? Luna stared at him for a moment, before finally speaking.

"Night Guard, give these two a room and send a message to King Thorax." The two froze, staring at her in concern. She turned to Moonlight, "The third month on the fifth day... you have a month. Prove to me that your Hive, when established, will not be a threat to Equestria."

Moonlight straightened, meeting the Princess' gaze straight on. "I will."

Luna nodded, "Night Court is closed. Call my sister, we have a delegation to prepare." She began to stalk to her room, only to stop mid-step, "And send a message to Friendship Castle. We need our best ambassadors on hoof for this mission." Six guards did not mean only six ponies... not if another group of dignitaries were included. Or, so Luna hoped would fly with the queens.

"My Sovereign," one of the guards began, leading Luna to glance at him. "It.. it is midnight. Princess Celestia is asleep."

"Oh, right. Uhm, tell the Royal Guard to set up a meeting first thing in the morning."


Exposition -The first section of a movement written in sonata form, introducing the melodies and themes.

Author's Note:

This chapter was posted quite late, especially compared to previous ones. It took me a while to figure out how exactly to have Moonlight and Silent Gaze go through Canterlot in Winter, but I hope you all enjoyed the chapter regardless.