• Published 1st Sep 2016
  • 1,138 Views, 13 Comments

A Pony's Tale: Equestria's Fall - Sparrow9642



After Twilight has a terrifying vision, she along with her friends prepare for an all out battle to save Equestria.

  • ...
1
 13
 1,138

Realization

The reoccurring beep of a heart monitor reverberated against Celestia's eardrums, as she sat in complete despair at the sight her once student, asleep on her provided hospital bed. Twilight's breathing was shallow and raspy, while her heartbeats were weak and slow, like a melody being played in minor.

In a short description, Twilight was fighting to stay alive, after being struck by a blast that was equal to the power of a hundred suns. She was very lucky to even be alive.

Celestia was sickened, hearing Viro's words repeat in her head. She couldn't deny them either, because it was true. She had been angered to the point of violent actions, due to the mixture of her sister being killed and mockery. She had dealt with a number of antagonists in her life, but never had she resorted to actions as such, even in the face of mockery.

She could normally handle mockery and anger, so why was it different with Viro? Why had he gotten into her head? Out of her self-conflict, the sound of the hospital door opening, made Celestia's head rise to attention, her paranoia causing her to emit a fearful gasp.

"I'm sorry, princess," spoke a young female nurse. "I didn't mean to startle you."

"No, please, forgive me," Celestia replied, attempting to compose herself.

"Right. Well, as you've already guessed, Twilight is in a comatose state. Her vitals are as stable as you'd expect in a state such as this, but luckily, not fatal. She was admitted just in time, before her condition could've worsened to the point of where we wouldn't have been able to save her."

Celestia felt her blood run cold. While the news was somewhat good, she couldn't brush aside the fact that Twilight was seconds from assured fatality, if she were not admitted any second sooner into the hospital. Distantly, she thought she could hear Viro laughing, but she knew it was only her thoughts of dread mixed with the hurt she felt deep down.

"So, she's going to live?" Celestia asked shakily, a desperation filling her voice.

"While her condition is not fatal, she still has an internal struggle to battle now, your highness," the nurse replied as somberly as she could. "For now, all we can do is continue to monitor her, until, or even if she wakes up. I'm sorry, your highness."

Somehow, Celestia held her composure, sitting still and not even moving a muscle. From Celestia's response of not muttering a word and remaining immobile, the nurse turned and walked out of the room, leaving the two princesses alone.

At the sound of the door closing, Celestia muttered a single phrase amongst the ambience of the life support continuing to support Twilight in her fight to stay alive.

"What have I done!?"


The following morning was blistering cold, as Chrysalis navigated out of the hive, noticing Viro, perched along the edge of the cliffside of which the Kindling kingdom once existed. He stared outward, his posture being unaffected by the icy winds, while Chrysalis shivered mildly from the winds caressing and slightly burning her skin cells. While Viro's gaze was focused outward, he immediately felt Chrysalis's presence.

"Is the army ready?" he spoke in a gravelly voice that seemed to pierce the winds.

"Yes," Chrysalis confirmed. "I've dreamed of this day, ever since I was defeated all those years ago, and now, I will finally have my revenge against that excuse of a princess!"

Viro chuckled in a way that seemed to quake the entire mountainside.

"I admire your confidence, but remember our agreement," Viro stated in a way that made Chrysalis stop and just stare blankly. "The plan will follow through as intended. I won't be having your actions foil my plans. Everything must go smoothly, or we could end up in a siege where we are outnumbered and forced to retreat."

"And it shall," Chrysalis stated in retort. "Do you doubt me to follow through?"

"In ways, yes." Viro stated bluntly. "I know you too well, and I know just how easily reckless you are. I understand that you want the Princess of Love dead at your hooves, but for this plan to succeed, we must hold back on hostile actions. I plan to use the princess as a bait for the bigger targets, and having studied their actions, they'll bite."

"I can assure you that I will follow through," Chrysalis retorted. "Despite our history, we must adapt to trusting one another, otherwise we will never truly be a legion."

"I trusted you from the very beginning, and you chose to betray me," Viro stated, slightly gazing back at the Changeling queen. "Before I even consider trusting you one bit, you will have to convince me that are indeed trustworthy. Only then will I even consider it. For now, you can start proving your worth by following through with this siege. I'd say that's a fair start."

"Then I will prove my worth. I won't make the same mistake twice."

"Hmm, then we shall see soon if you truly won't make that mistake again."

Viro returned his gaze back to beyond the cliffside, taking in a deep breath through his nostrils.

"Mobilize the army. It's time."

"Very well," Chrysalis responded, turning away from Viro, and navigating back to her hive.

Chrysalis expressed a glare, knowing full well that Viro sensed it, but didn't care. She had never had any positive relationship with Viro, due to both having only one thing in common; the desire to rule and have power over all who dared oppose them.

It was all she wanted, but had failed at so badly that in the end, she had no choice but to form an alliance with Viro. An alliance that came at a heavy cost that was neither in bits or any sort of barter. It was a cost that Chrysalis had regretted ever paying.


One year earlier

The small village of Biram, once composed of farmland and fresh gardens, smelled of fire and ash, as Chrysalis walked along what looked like white snow. She had travelled long and far, and despite her efforts, she wasn't pleased the slightest on her intentions of being here.

She had been forced here out of humiliation and anger, and as prideful as she was, she had no other solution except this one. She navigated past charred corpses and bloodstained soil, each corpse bearing the same sickly-green wound that she recognized all too well.

She couldn't help but to admire such a display of mayhem and carnage, as much as it disgusted her to give even a shred of admiration to something created by the being she despised the most. She knew she was in the right place.

Her trek came to a halt at the entrance of a large hut, a tattered blanket being the door. She took a moment to compose herself like the queen she was, not wanting to give away any sign of need or desire. Once she felt like her emotions were cloaked enough, she trekked forward, sifting past the blanket with ease.

The sight that befell her vision upon entrance was indescribable. Before her was a throne composed of stacked corpses, and on both sides of the massive throne, muzzled ponies in massive cages. Their tear-filled eyes reflected fear, sadness, and despair, but Chrysalis fed off it, bathing in the despair and drooling from the essence of it. She felt as if she were drunk with love, and nearly lost track of her objective in the midst of the sensation.

Regaining her composure, she focused on the reason she had come to this place at all. Only one being could be this cruel and murderous to the point where it would be made into the throne he sat upon. She didn't have to speak out.

"Well, well. Queen Chrysalis. What a surprise," spoke that same deep and gravelly voice she had known for centuries.

She directed her gaze to the creature seated upon the throne of corpses and pure misery. Seated, was the creature she knew as, Viro.

"Why are you here?" Viro asked in a stone-cold voice.

Chrysalis backed up just a little upon the statement, feeling Viro's voice rattle her bones. She didn't want to resort to violence, knowing full well she was no match for Viro.

"I've come strictly on business," Chrysalis replied with slight arrogance.

Viro didn't move a muscle, nor did he express any sort of emotion. He just stared blankly, his piercing gaze meeting Chrysalis's in the form of a showdown.

"You've come seeking my help," Viro clarified, causing Chrysalis to shudder and lose her composure almost immediately.
"Don't even try hiding it, Chrysalis. I know you too well to know how you act in response of a defeat."

Chrysalis couldn't respond in retort and just stood completely baffled in humiliation, anger, and loss. Having no retort, she just spoke the truth.

"Yes!" Chrysalis responded in strife. "I admit it! Are you satisfied?! Do you wish to shame me any further?!"

Viro responded with a chuckle of satisfaction.

"No. I'm never satisfied," Viro said. "Not as long as harmony exists upon this world."

"Then you know what must be done," Chrysalis said quickly, not wanting to give Viro a chance to have second thoughts.

"I do, but if my memory serves me correct, the last time I had a solidified plan to do said actions, I was betrayed by the one who stands before me now in desperation. Why should I abandon what I have now, to form an alliance with a creature that could potentially repeat history? I have enough misery to feed on for centuries, ponies to use as my personal food supply, and my own little empire. Convince me, Chrysalis. Why should I abandon what I have to assist a traitor?"

Once again, Chrysalis couldn't retort, knowing Viro had her pinned. She thought hard on what she could say that would convince the tyrant to join her once again. She didn't have to think long, as her thoughts were broken by Viro's voice.

"I see that I've managed to once again silence the great queen of the Changelings," Viro insulted, continuing onward. "The answer is that you couldn't say anything to convince me. I don't care who you are, nor what you are. To me, you are just another bag of flesh, bones, and muscle. We may have the same mother, but we are far from equals. Even YOU know that, and it's because of that reason that you truly fear me, don't you?

You were never my leader; never my queen! That is why you now stand before me in desperation, because you know that I'm the reason for your success. You are reckless, impatient, and idiotic in your attempts to be successful. Without me, you've lost your ability to do anything successful. That's why you are here. That's why you are willing to humiliate yourself, as stubborn and prideful as you are. You are here, because you are broken beyond repair."

Chrysalis could feel tears building up, feeling as if her entire life force had been ripped out of her piece by piece, slowly and painfully. Her face had grown pale, legs shaky, and her ability to speak, shredded apart. Viro followed with another chuckle, admiring the broken queen in her state of hopelessness.

"Would you like to add any more salt to my wounds?!" Chrysalis spoke in utter defeat.

"Oh dear Chrysalis, not even salt on your fresh wounds could amount to the pain I could inflict upon you, both physically and mentally," Viro taunted, stinging Chrysalis even further. "I could just kill you and be done with this conversation, but I have a proposition to ensure that you are kept at bay, and we accomplish the goals that we both seek."

Chrysalis jumped a little at the mention of the proposition, but didn't let her emotions grow too wild, knowing that Viro's ways of doing things always came with a catch.

"What do you propose, Viro?" Chrysalis asked with slight irritation.

"An eternal alliance, but instead of me being your little servant, we are forever a legion," Viro claimed. "Instead of us being individuals, our souls will be entwined as one."

"You want me, Queen Chrysalis, to be your little puppet?!" Chrysalis barked. "What sort of game do you think this is?!"

"You came to ME seeking my assistance, and you know you have no other choice," Viro stated. "That's my one and ONLY proposition. Do you want to rule Equestria or not? Take my offer or leave it. Either way, I don't care. You are in my domain, therefore, you have no power over me. I have power over you.

Accept my offer or get out. I only spare you, because I enjoy seeing you broken and unable to do anything about it."

Chrysalis gritted her teeth in anger. She absolutely hated the proposition, but she knew Viro wasn't being budged on any other propositions she may have had. He had said it himself. She went over the pros and cons in her head. The pros were that she'd finally have rule over Equestria, and the Elements of Harmony would be ridden of as a potential threat.

However, in return, she'd have to be Viro's little servant and be stuck in an eternal legion. She hated even thinking that that was even something she'd consider, but if she didn't, she would eventually just waste away in her hive as a queen that failed her mother's wishes.

So, would she rather die a failure, or rule Equestria with a few exceptions to deal with? Swallowing every bit of her pride, she made her decision.

"It's a deal," she confirmed, nearly gagging on her words.

"Excellent," Viro spoke, rising from his throne and joining Chrysalis at ground level. "I expect you to follow everything I say and command, otherwise there will be consequences. Now, kindly remain in place."

Chrysalis obeyed, watching as Viro placed his hoof in the center of her upper chest. With the connection made, Viro concentrated his magic from his soul to the hoof on Chrysalis's chest, causing his eyes to glow and Chrysalis's chest to tighten.

Chrysalis jumped, feeling like her lungs were being constricted, unable to breathe or move a muscle as the spell Viro planned to cast, connected to her soul. Once the connection was made, Viro proceeded to infusing Chrysalis's soul with a pressure so intense that Chrysalis felt like she were being crushed. The sensation occurred for what felt like forever to Chrysalis, but eventually the pressure subsided, and Viro released his hold on the Changeling queen.

Chrysalis collapsed to the ground, taking in deep breaths and coughing out sparks of magic residue from the spell, while Viro stood above her basking in his newfound power. Chrysalis continued coughing, looking up at Viro with fire in her eyes.

"What did you do to me?!" Chrysalis muttered, struggling to breathe.

"I combined your soul with mine," Viro started. "We now share each other's memories, powers, and strengths. You now have the powers of a God, at the cost of your freedom and assurance that you will never disobey me again."

Chrysalis stood back up on all fours, admiring her newfound strength. The amount of power she contained was almost unbearable, but she did her best to control and absorb the surge she felt in that moment. It was very similar to the surge she felt when she was crowned queen, only much more stronger and overwhelming.

"Focus hard," Viro commanded. "Absorb the power, otherwise my powers will work against you, and you'll be killed quickly."

Chrysalis struggled hard and long, but with her goal in mind, she absorbed the magic and regained her natural composure. She still hated the fact that she was now Viro's puppet to use and abuse, but in the mix of her newfound power, she didn't even think negative.

"We are now a legion," Viro said. "Follow my orders and Equestria will fall. Shall you TRY to disobey, well, I guess you'll find out what happens if you do."

Chrysalis nodded her head in response, as the two soulbonded tyrants trotted out of the hut, onward to new horizons, leaving the caged ponies to rot in their prisons.


Present day

It was around sunset when Celestia had no choice but to return to the castle. She had sat with Twilight, currently comatose, until the visiting hours were over, and while she was reluctant to leave, she eventually followed through. She honestly felt like she were returning to a wasteland of hopelessness, unable to comprehend the events of the previous days. From Luna's death, to Twilight comatose, to finding a solution to winning against whatever was coming next, Celestia felt as if she were completely empty.

The princess of the sun, unable to do anything to stop the chaos that had dawned upon her empire. Ancient and wise, but clueless on what to do next. It stung her with might, along with the grief she was facing. Celestia knew she had to be strong, but so much had happened too fast for her to handle, and upon her arrival back at the castle, she knew that her struggles were far from over.

Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and a somehow-still-inflated Pinkie Pie all stood at a table covered with parchment paper, food plates, and scrunched up balls of paper littered across the floor. All five looked tired and exhausted, as they caught sight of their fellow princess's arrival, their faces immediately expressing curiosity, worry, and slight fake happiness.

"How's Twilight?!" Rainbow asked in a concerned voice.

"Is she going to be ok?!" Fluttershy added.

Celestia didn't even attempt a facade, knowing just how close the five were to Twilight. She just gave them the direct truth.

"She's alive," Celestia started.

Each released a sigh of relief in tandem, but the worse was still to come. Applejack knew that.

"And the bad news?" Applejack asked with worry in her voice.

Celestia didn't sugarcoat anything, knowing that the times of trying to pull off facades for the sake of keeping situations quiet were over. Equestria was in full panic and beyond Celestia's control. Exactly what Viro wanted.

"Twilight is comatose and fighting to keep herself alive. There's no guarantee that she'll survive the fight," Celestia confirmed, her voice growing shaky and emotional.

The room fell silent almost immediately. What remained of the Mane Six all exchanged glances of sadness and absolute horror, knowing that without Twilight, the Elements of Harmony were useless. Not that they would work anyway, as Viro had stated that the Elements were not even a threat to him earlier that day.

A long moment passed, as the five shared a somber moment for Twilight. They were down one element, and that alone was terrifying to all of them, knowing time was running out.

"So, now what do we do?" Rainbow questioned, her voice shallow and somber.

"No cake in Equestria can fix Twilight," Pinkie intervened, her mane deflating like a balloon.

Applejack turned to face Celestia.

"There isn't any sort of spell that can cure Twi'?" Applejack pleaded.

"I'm afraid not," Celestia started. "Like I said, if I even tried any magic on Twilight now, it would only do more harm than good. She's far too fragile to even risk it."

Applejack hung her head in defeat, her Stetson hiding her emotions. It was obvious that Twilight was down for the fight, and now, somepony else had to keep hope alive, otherwise they should've just thrown up the white flag in surrender.

Harnessing all the strength she could've possibly had left, Applejack turned to the other four, all broken and defeated, and began to speak.

"Then we'll just have to come up with another plan!" Applejack spoke loudly and proudly. The sudden exclamation made all four of them jump a little, as Applejack continued. "We may be down one pony, but we're still here, still standing and fighting for our home! If we give up now, just because Twi's not here to fight with us, then Viro wins! Are we gonna let a swiss cheese legged Changeling take us down?!"

The remaining four exchanged looks, their doubt and hopelessness fading and being replaced by smiles of encouragement.

"Right now, Twilight is dependin' on us to do what she can't right now, and I know it seems hopeless right now, but if we work together and just focus on what we need to do, I KNOW we can beat Viro!"

An audible "YEAH" in unison from the remaining four ended the speech, and the feeling of hope had once again arisen. Even Celestia expressed a smile in the moment, reflecting memories of Luna encouraging her in moments of hopelessness, back when she was a filly.

It felt as if a light switch had been turned on, extinguishing the void of darkness that plagued their minds. However, as sudden as hope began to finally shine again, it was interrupted by a sudden flash of light. With it, came a scroll.

Celestia hoped it was some letter informing her of reinforcements being sent to aid in their fight with Viro, seeing the word had spread fast across Equestria of a new foe and Luna's death. Celestia levitated the scroll in her magic, removing the seal and unrolling the letter.

"Is it a letter from some super-awesome place bringing some backup to kick some Viro-butt?!" Rainbow Dash asked in her usual cocky tone.

The others rolled their eyes at Rainbow's words, but grew worried as Celestia continued to read the letter. It only grew worse, as she read on.

"Oh no..." Celestia muttered in what sounded like pure terror.

"What's wrong, Celestia?" Applejack asked, her voice trembling.

Celestia didn't answer, as she finished up the letter, dropping it to the floor.

"I must go! The Crystal Empire is under attack by a Changeling swarm!" Celestia finally answered.

The five expressed looks of terror, knowing Viro had once again outsmarted them.

"Let us go with ya!" Applejack said fast.

"No!" Celestia spat. "If you go with me and something happens, Canterlot will be defenseless against any surprise attacks!"

Applejack stepped back, knowing Celestia was right.

"It's best that all of you remain here, and do your best to come up with some plan to defend the castle from Viro," Celestia stated with sincerity.

"What about you?" Fluttershy asked. "We can't afford to lose another princess!'"

"Yeah!" Rainbow added.

"I'll do my best to slow down the swarm. Right now, we need time, and if I can buy us some time to prepare, then I'll take it, even if it could mean I may not return this time," Celestia stated with vigor.

"You five may be Equestria's last chance at survival. Equestria's end is upon us, and I fear that we may not have much time left to come up with a solution. If I don't return, promise me that you won't surrender and will keep finding some way to fight back!"

A long moment paused before there was a response. One by one all five agreed to Celestia's plea, and with no further hesitation, Celestia transported herself to the Crystal Empire, leaving the other five to defend Canterlot.


In a burst of light, Celestia arrived in the midst of what seemed like an eerie calm. She stood in the middle of the Crystal Empire throne room, devoid of any life or sound. Celestia was scared and confused at the same time, unsure if she should even move, knowing that Viro was capable of shapeshifting.

She attempted to take a step forward, but as she did, was immediately met with an agonizing pain on her right side. The pain was so agonizing that it caused her to collapse, as much as lose her breath and most feeling in her entire right side.

She screamed from the pain as she breathed heavily and struggled to move at all. Her vision had gone blurry in the mix of agonizing pain and breathlessness, and as she turned her head to look up, she saw a very blurry black figure. The voice that followed, clarified that her fears had become reality.

"I told you they'd bite," spoke Viro, a chuckle following.

The tyrant stood high above her gripping a large pink glob in his radiant green magic, with Chrysalis across from him. It took a ton of effort, but Celestia finally managed to clear her vision, only to find a sight of horror. The "pink glob" she had first seen, was Cadance, her eyes green and her appearance seeming zombified.

"Such easy creatures to sway and control," stated Viro, releasing Cadance from whatever control he had over her.

Cadance collapsed, coming back to reality. She squirmed in agony, as she stared up at Chrysalis, the queen giving her a malevolent smile.

"Y-you!" Cadance barked.

Chrysalis laughed in the princess's face, lowering her head to meet Cadance's gaze.

"Hello again, dear," Chrysalis greeted. "Remember me from all those years ago?"

"H-how could I forget?! Cadance retorted. "It d-doesn't matter though! W-we'll defeat you a-again, just l-like before, w-with the p-power of l-love!"

Following that statement, Chrysalis only laughed in a maniacal manner. This confused Cadance, aside from the pain she felt.

"I'm afraid the power of love won't save you this time, dear. You can only do that with your dear Shining Armor, and I'm afraid that he's no longer a factor in this fight. Have a look yourself."

Chrysalis pointed towards the opposite end of the room, which Cadance followed, only to see the corpse of her once husband, deadweight on the floor. Tears immediately welled up in her eyes, as she began to shout.

"SHINING!"

Silence.

"SHINING! NO!" Cadance shouted again, beginning to cry.

She cried and shouted over and over, but nothing changed. Chrysalis intervened as the princess fell into a cry, sobbing over the traumatizing image that would forever burn her mind.

"Don't be sad, dear," Chrysalis cooed. "You'll be reunited with him sooner than you think."

Off that statement, before Cadance even had a chance to defend herself, Chrysalis shot a beam from her horn, straight through Cadance's heart cavity. Immediately, a pool of blood began to slowly form around Cadance's body, as she took her last raspy breathes of air. A sound that would forever haunt Celestia's memories.

Only a few more shallow rasps escaped Cadance's airway, then with only the smell of blood present, Princess Cadance went limp on the floor.

Chrysalis laughed in amusement.

"So much for the power of love," Chrysalis finalized.

"CADANCE!!" Celestia shouted in pure agony, tears beginning to roll down her cheeks. "NO!"

Celestia fell to tears, unable to hold back her emotions any further. In the mix of the tragedy, Viro met Celestia on the ground, gazing at her blankly in amusement.

"Look at it, princess," Viro stated. "This is what is to come. This was going to happen, no matter what you or your little band of enforcers ever did. All the princesses either dead or out of commission in Equestria's greatest time of need.

Face it, Celestia. Equestria's age is over, and there's no way to stop it from ending. All of the major empires seized and taken by the Changeling race. All the great and mighty rulers overthrown and destroyed. Well, all except one, temporarily; the main one that controls all. You know, and I know that you cannot win, and that fighting is futile.

A new age is dawning, princess. Your time is up. Accept it. Nopony can stop us, not even your reformed pansie, Discord. I made sure to take care of him first, knowing he would most likely be the biggest obstacle in my path. Your hope is gone, and as you slowly die away over the next few hours, you'll see just how easily your precious harmony was crushed and destroyed in a matter of three days. I only spare you to watch you squirm, as you see your kingdom falter in defeat. Enjoy watching it, because I'm going to love seeing your harmony burn to ashes."

With that, the young tyrant, along with Chrysalis proceeded out of the castle, onward to Canterlot. Celestia struggled to get up, due to her strength faltering quickly from whatever Viro had infected her with. She was still torn up from Cadance's death, but knew that she had to get back to Canterlot to warn the other five of what was coming their way. She attempted to balance herself, but quickly found that putting any weight on her right side was a bad idea, causing her to nearly collapse again, but she caught herself in time.

"I-I have to w-warn the others!" Celestia muttered to herself as a reminder on why she needed to keep going, even if it hurt to walk.

A sound suddenly broke the void of silence and dread, causing Celestia to rise to caution, but she quickly calmed herself. The sound was a very muffled cry of a foal.

Celestia limped her way in the direction of the sound, eventually ending up at the backside of the throne. Behind the massive structure was a box with air holes in the lid, and upon removing the lid with her magic, a newborn foal with fur the same color as its mother's, and a curly mane that also matched it mother's.

Atop the foal, was a folded piece of parchment paper, which Celestia guessed was some form of a note. Using her magic, she unfolded the paper and read the note.

She was only born today. We were just about to send out the news, but that's when Shining gave the alarm about the invasion, and I knew we couldn't win. I'm sorry to put such a burden on you, Celestia, but we had no choice. Please take care of our daughter, Princess Skyla. She may be the only princess left to keep hope alive.

~Cadance

Celestia sat down the note and levitated the newborn into her left hoof, comforting it the best she could. She did the usual motherly hushes and rocked the foal gently with her one good hoof. It was a long moment before Skyla finally hushed into a sleep, but in that long moment, while looking at the foal in her motherly hold, Celestia had found a solution that didn't involve surrendering or dying.

It wasn't the solution she would have preferred, but it was the only way out, alive. Viro was right. Equestria's age was over, and a new age was starting, but that didn't mean they had to just surrender.

We just need to live to fight another day.