• Published 4th Dec 2015
  • 801 Views, 5 Comments

Beauty - Sun Aura



Rarity gets a visit from Fancy Pants, who has a few requests

  • ...
7
 5
 801

Chapter 4

Rarity and Fancy Pants finally made it back to his home. The house itself was oddly subtle for Canterlot nobility. Yes, it was large, but it looked cozy enough for just a few bedrooms instead of large mansions that can house staff and guests. What was impressive were the grounds surrounding it.

A large garden and courtyard surrounded the grounds. She knew it was mostly used for parties and events. She half-expected to see gardeners, but she had asked earlier about the staff. They were only there during the daytime.

“There is a guest room,” Fancy told her as they walked through the door. “It has it’s own bathroom as well, if you’d like a shower. Usually Fleur uses it, but she’ll forgive you for using her shampoo.”

“While I’m sure her hair products are wonderful,” Rarity said, “I brought a few travel-size ones in my overnight bag. Just in case.”

The two of them relaxed on a couch in the living room. Neither knew what to say, really. Silence was overwhelming.

“I’m sorry for tonight,” Fancy Pants said.

“Sure, it wasn’t the ideal first date,” Rarity shrugged. “But other than the bar, and maybe dodging the subject about Sweetie’s friend, it was quite enjoyable.”

“That’s good to know,” he said. “But that’s not what I meant.”

She tilted her head, blinking in confusion. Everything else had gone perfect. What could he be talking about?

“I know I said something that upset you,” he said.

“You couldn’t have-“ she began.

“I did,” he said. “When we were in the bar, I mentioned your adventures as the Element of Generosity. You seemed upset, and while I do not understand why, I am sorry that it upset you.”

“Has anypony ever told you how wonderful you are?” she sighed, shaking her head.

“It means more when it comes from you,” he said. “I’ll refrain from bringing up for adventures, but I would love to know why. I won’t push it if you don’t want me to know, but I want to know you more.”

She sighed, leaning back into the couch. A part of her wished she had another drink on hoof.

“I’m not supposed to tell you,” she said. “Well, technically I was never told not to tell anypony, but I thought Twilight might want to keep it a secret.”

“Keep what a secret?” he asked.

“A project she’s been working n,” she answered. “Twilight has a theory that there are more ponies out there that could potentially be Elements of Harmony. Well, a bit more than a theory. Princesses Celestia and Luna have both used the Elements, and we know of one other who has used the Element of Magic, although when and how is definitely something we’re supposed to keep secret.”

“That’s interesting,” he said. “Most ponies think that you six are the only ones. Or they think anyone can use them.”

‘Yeah,” she sighed. “But that’s the problem. There are other ponies that could have done what I did. I had so many chances to not be Generosity. When Nightmare Moon showed up, so much happened. I thought of stopping, comforting my friends who were freaking out. I could have hid in my home. I could have refused to follow them into Everfree. I could have run away. I could have refused to help the sea serpent.

“There are so many ways that I couldn’t have become Generosity,” she said. “And there are ponies who could have easily taken my place. Stars, I used to think it was destiny. My friends and I earned out Cutie Marks the same day, and then years later we become the Elements of Harmony, and we save the world so many times. But it was all just-just luck. And everything that happened after was luck too.”

“I’m sure that-“ he began.

“If I wasn’t Generosity, I wouldn’t be here,” she said. “It was my friends’ Gala dresses that made Hoity Toity notice me, and he wouldn’t have seen them if it wasn’t for Spike. I wouldn’t have finished Sapphire Shore’s outfit. Stars, I’d probably still be in the Diamond Dogs’ tunnels. Photo Finnish wouldn’t have paid attention to me if it weren’t for Fluttershy. I wouldn’t have designed all the dresses for Princess Cadence’s wedding. I wouldn’t have made it to Fashion Week, and even if I had, I wouldn’t have had my friends help me along. I wouldn’t have the Canterlot Carousel.

“I wouldn’t have met you,” she felt like crying now. “I might not have come to Canterlot that weekend. I wouldn’t be Generosity, so I wouldn’t be interesting enough to talk to. If I had went straight into lying to bump up my reputation, there would be no reason for you to believe I was a good pony making a mistake. We wouldn’t have talked more, we wouldn’t have become friends. We wouldn’t be on this date. The only reason we are, is because of luck.”

More silence. She hated silence. She knew he was thinking it over. She couldn’t help thinking it over too. Her accomplishments, boiled down to being in the right place at the right time with the right friends.

Stars, she wished to not be thinking about it. She wished Twilight had never told her about other Elements. She wished he would say something.

“It wasn’t just luck,” Fancy Pants said.

She sighed. He took her hooves in his own, begging her to look at him.

“It isn’t just luck,” he repeated. “Luck was a part. But it was also part Destiny, and part hard work. It was your Destiny to be a Potential Element. It was Luck to have been in the right place at the right time. But you worked for it. You wanted to help, so you helped defeat Nightmare Moon. You worked to be as good as you are, earning your accomplishments. If you weren’t a good dressmaker, then Hoity Toity, Photo Finish, and Prim Hemline wouldn’t have paid attention to you.”

“I can’t promise that things would be the same between us if it happened differently,” he said. “I might not have given you another chance after our first meeting. I might not have even met you. Or maybe we met again under different circumstances, still falling in love. But, I can promise you one thing.”

“Just one?” she cracked a smile.

“While your Element may have caught my attention,” he said, “You were never just ‘Generosity’ to me. I didn’t fall for you because of your adventures, or your accomplishments. I fell for the mare who worked for what she wanted, who was a good enough pony to wield an Element of Harmony. You are wonderful, kind, always willing to help. I love the pony you are, not the Element you happen to wield.”

Now she was sure she was crying, but this time it was for a much better reason.

She wrapped her hooves around his neck and pulled him into a kiss. It felt wonderful, electrifying. Something familiar rushed through her, nearly overpowered by the shivers she got when he returned the kiss.

“That helped,” Rarity said when they finally parted. “The talk, not the kiss. But I’m not complaining.”

“Neither am I,”he chuckled. He looked up at her, tilting his head. “Er, you have something on your-“

“Oh stars, is my makeup running!” she exclaimed, lighting her horn to grab her makeup kit. “My Eyeliner is supposed to be waterproof, but honestly sometimes it just-“

She stopped rummaging through the bag. Fancy Pants hadn’t taken his gaze off her yet. There was something about the lighting in the room that had changed as well.

“I’m glowing, aren’t I?” she sighed, pulling her mane forward to see if it had changed color.

“You are positively gleaming,” he said.

“That happens sometimes,” she explained. “Either when connecting to my Element or a strong emotional connection.”

“Well, if a strong emotional connection activates it,” he shrugged, “I hope to see it more often.”

He kissed her again. She didn’t care that she glowed brighter. She didn’t care that she dropped her makeup bag and sent things rolling off to who knows where. She wanted to stay here, and let the future take her to more.

Author's Note:

Finally done! This took a while, especially since I didn't plan to continue past chapter one at first. but I'm glad I did.