• Published 8th Dec 2015
  • 359 Views, 6 Comments

Moving Forward, Wrought with Danger - Odayama



A mercenary guild from the Forgotten Relms gathers their three strongest fighters to take on a job too close to their city. Little did they know that their target would use wild magic that would thrust them into another relm that is...less forgotten.

  • ...
2
 6
 359

Chapter 9

Vinyl was inspecting Newtolm as he had told his story. She even ventured a poke at him. Newtolm looked at Vinyl when he had finished his explanation. “May I help you?” He asked with a smile.

Vinyl tilted her head. “…You’re really a dragon, and not a pony?”

“Half-dragon. But yes…I do not believe we have met. My name is Newtolm. Who might you be, fine maiden?”

Vinyl chuckled. “Fine maiden? You’re talkin like the knights from old folk’s tales.” She lowered her sunglasses with a grin. “I’m Vinyl Scratch, the town’s DJ. I don’t think I deserve the title of ‘fair maiden’, but thanks anyways.”

Newtolm tilted his head. “DJ? Pardon my lack of knowledge of your town, but is that a type of bard?”

Vinyl chuckled again. “I guess you could call me that, if ya have to.”

Tom sat up to get off of the road. “Newtolm, I don’t have the time…”

“Ahem!” Said Rainbow Dash very loudly. Everyone turned their attention to her.

Fluttershy was half hiding behind Rainbow, looking at the elf sheepishly. “I-it’s okay, Rainbow Dash…I-I’ll be alright…”

Rainbow Dash looked back at Fluttershy with a caring look. “Look, I got this.” She turned back to glare and grin at Tom. “Besides, I totally won that fight!”

Tom looked shocked at what he just heard. “What are you talking about?” Tom still remembered getting hit really hard in the head with…well, with her head. There was no way there was any victor. “It was a draw. You fought bravely, pegesus, but you…”

“Aaaaaaactually, Tom…You did lose.” Newtolm sheepishly said aloud.

Tom’s eyes narrowed, then he turned to face his polymorphed comrade. “…Run that by me again.”

Newtolm avoided eye contact with Tom, but he spoke in a clear manner. “You see, Tom, after you two had collided with each other, I had grabbed the two of you and brought you through my dimension door. Ms. Dash over there was still conscious when I laid you on the ground, even if she was disoriented.” He took a deep breath as he finally made eye contact with Tom. “Even the greatest and mightiest of heroes can fall with a head injury. Nothing to be ashamed about.”

“…Newtolm, are you saying…”

Tom was interrupted by a gloating Rainbow Dash. “Well, I am the greatest Pony here in Ponyvile. I’ve stopped many powerful creatures from taking over. I bet you have nothing on me.”

Tom didn’t know who to glare at, this pompous horse or his comrade. Instinctively, Tom reached for the sword that he had left in the ground, and pulled it up violently. This made many ponies jump from their spots. The only pony who made the position to defend was Rainbow Dash.
A sharp pain erupted from Rainbow Dash’s chest. The whack that Tom had made seemed to have finally taken its toll on her. She doubled over, the pain too much to stay afloat. “Oooooowwwwww….”

“Rainbow Dash, are you alright?” Fluttershy, already by her side, put her hooves on Rainbow Dash’s shoulders.
Newtolm ran over to the wounded pony, coming to her aid. “It is alright, Ms Dash. I got you.”

“She needs a doctor. I’ll go to the…”

Vinyl was interrupted by Newtolm. “Forgive me, but I am better than any healer you have.” His attention turned back to Rainbow Dash. “Ms Dash, I know this will sound like the strangest request, but…you are going to have to let me in.”

“Wh-what? What the hay does that mean?” Rainbow Dash tried to squirm away, but the pain in her chest prevented her from moving.

Newtolm placed a hoof her head. “The power I am going to use only works if you do not fight it. I know you do not find me trustworthy, but we do not know how much damage that last swing caused you. I can take away the pain, but you are going to have to trust me.”

Rainbow Dash looked up at Newtolm. All she could do was lie down on the ground, not even able to push this now pony away. What he just said didn’t make any sense. But looking up at him, all she could see was a soft, reassuring smile.

The pain was too much for her to move. She gulped and closed her eyes shut. “O-okay…I’ll trust you.”

Within seconds of Rainbow Dash’s words, the pain was going away. It felt as if...as if it was lifting off of her like a blanket. Rainbow Dash opened her eyes, blinked, then got up. As if she was never hurt, she thumped her chest, and then smiled. She turned around to see her healer. “I don’t know what you did, but thanks, buddy…”

Newtolm’s face was in pain. He could feel which ribs Tom broke in that swing. Rainbow Dash looked at Newtolm, shocked to see his expression. “Hey, buddy! What’s wrong?”

He lifted a hoof just to stop from anypony coming to his aid, then with his psionic power, he started to adjust his body to perfect health. With everything now calm, he looked at Rainbow Dash with a reassuring smile.

With a deep sigh of relief, Newtolm was back to normal. “…No worries, Ms Dash, anything to help those in need.” He made a small bow towards Rainbow. “Now, if you’ll excuse me.”

Angry, he turned his attention back to Tom, who had sheathed his sword. “Tom, I know you are a proud warrior.” Newtolm started to walk towards him. Tom stayed his ground. “You do believe you are the strongest when it comes to combat ability. If Juno was not a lycanthrope, you would probably be able to take him down with ease. But there comes a time in everyone’s life where reality shows you that there are others who are stronger in a different way.” With his psionic ability, Newtolm levitated himself to Tom’s eye level. “If you know what is good for you, you will apologize to Ms. Fluttershy, whom Ms. Dash had fought valiantly against you to defend her, right now.”

Tom stared right back at the glare Newtolm gave. If he wasn’t a pony right now, Tom would probably feel threatened. But he still felt that this was his comrade. Newtolm was the one who brought him back from a point of no return when it came to interaction with people.
This would hurt his pride more than anything. It was a good thing that Newtolm was the only one of his comrades who was here to witness. Tom walked over to the two pegesi. He looked at the one named Fluttershy. Undoing the strap that held up his sword’s sheath, Tom held the sheathed sword point down in front of him. Fighting his pride, he knelt down on one knee.

“In glorious combat, your champion has defeated me. By Odin’s hand, I have lost at what I am best at. Many opponents have been defeated by my sword arm, and very few have escaped the jaws of defeat. But here, today, Odin has shown me that my actions were unjust…and for that…” A knot was in Tom’s throat. He really didn’t want to admit anything. But here he was…kneeling down…admitting defeat…to multi-colored ponies. “…I…I…”

Newtolm looked surprised. Did he just break his friend? He walked over, but Tom grit his teeth when he could feel the presence behind him. “I ask for forgiveness of my actions. My mind was clouded…” A hoof placed onto Tom’s shoulder.

“…Tom…a simple ‘I’m sorry’ would suffice.” Vinyl said. Tom opened his eyes and looked at the dj pony. She had a grin on her face, reassuring him that everything was better now.

“…What did I miss when I was changed into the equine race?” Newtolm looked confused, but then chuckled. “Well, no matter. This is quite the improvement, Tom.”

Rainbow Dash looked at Fluttershy. “Is that good enough for you, Fluttershy?”

The yellow pegesus fluttered over to the elf, very shy as she approached. “…Um…well…thank you…sir…” She made a small bow towards Tom. “I…I accept your apology.”

A quack broke out. Fluttershy whipped around to see the ducks were blocked by some ponies who were still dumbfounded by what had transpired. “Oh dear, I better get back to helping them. Bye Rainbow Dash…Bye sirs…” She flew over, excusing her way through some ponies to clear a path.

Newtolm patted Tom on the back. “Alright, Tom, I am going to be at this town’s castle. Hopefully, Princess Twilight will be able to remove the hat and change me back. I do not suggest that you follow me until you have calmed that rage of yours, but I do not know of any inns in this place.”

Vinyl spoke up before Tom could answer. “I already invited him to crash at my place. If it’s alright with you, I could look after him.”

Tom looked at Vinyl in disbelief. What was he, a human child? Before he could speak, Newtolm answered in wide-eyed surprise. “That…that is perfect. Tom could use a change of pace. Besides, he could use some more time to learn to except the peace of this world.”

Tom glared at his comrade. The fact that Newtolm was looking at him with the face of a pony didn’t help. But…there was truth to the words. If he was to have a better social standing with the people, and rather than rule with intimidation, he would need to give in from time to time.

“Ms Dash, would it be too much to ask of you to direct me back to Princess Twilight’s home?” Newtolm looked over at Rainbow Dash, but she rested her hoof over his shoulder.

“Just call me Dash. I’ll lead ya to her, Newtolm.” The two started to walk off towards the castle

Vinyl looked up at Tom. “So am I gonna expect some other outburst if I do take ya to my house? I live with a friend of mine, so I don’t want you
harassing her either.”

Tom brought his hand to his face. “If I get to even a seat, I’ll probably just sleep.”