• Published 5th Dec 2015
  • 2,694 Views, 179 Comments

Civil War of Harmony - SC_Orion



Disagreements in ruling between Princess Celestia and Princess Luna lead them to part ways. Twilight, seeing their faults and having felt unappreciated by Princess Celestia, breaks away from Equestria, bringing about a three-way civil war.

  • ...
5
 179
 2,694

Chapter 7

??? - ???

My wings were spread wide as I silently glided through the chilly night air. My eyes were well adapted to the dark night, I was able to see as good as a normal pony could during broad daylight. With the moon to my front, I would not have to worry about my shadow warning anypony of my approach. I flapped my wings to gain more altitude as I began to lose speed from fighting a headwind. I looked out across the horizon, searching for any signs of the army's camp. 'Still nothing...' I shook my head and banked left. 'I'm either lost, or they are ghosts.'


I cast my gaze upwards, checking the positions of the stars. 'I'm not lost.' I returned my sight to the horizon, having confirmed I had not strayed from my scouting route. I had been given orders to search for one of Princess Celestia's army, the one commanded by General Maneuver... 'Slippery pegasus...' He was exceptional when it came to outmaneuvering and flanking attacks, much like his full name, Flanking Maneuver, would suggest.


General Maneuver had apparently been given orders by Princess Celestia to move towards Stalliongrad. Princess Luna had already positioned two divisions there to defend against the general's attack. My job was to provide a rough idea of their location, so that Princess Luna could know when to expect the attack.


Hours flew by, much like the forest beneath me. I thought I saw something on the horizon, I squinted my eyes in an effort to make it out. It was blurry, almost like just a distortion in the air. 'Wait... That's smoke!' I let myself smile. I felt a shiver run down my spine, I was being watched.


I quickly spun my head around looking in each direction for the source of the sensation. 'Come on... Where are you?' I grit my teeth and scrunched up my muzzle in frustration. I scanned the horizon slowly and methodically- I saw a silhouette against the moon, I could see the gold edging of the armor of a Royal Guard. I furrowed my brow and beat my wings hard to push myself towards him.


He didn't make any effort to evade, that's when I realized my mistake. He wasn't alone. I banked to the left just in time to evade another guard who went shooting towards the ground through the space I previously occupied. 'You're getting sloppy.' I mentally berated myself for failing to detect his companion.


I turned my roll into a steep dive as I chased after the guard that had tried to knock me out of the sky, he evaded my dive and went below the treeline. I pursued the pegasus beneath the treeline, dodging branches and leaves as I attempted to stay on his tail. The pegasus's golden armor was easily visible to me, reflecting soft moonlight as I flew through the forest. I was soon gaining on the pegasus ahead of me, and with a few hard beats of my wings I was above him.


I redirected my speed towards the pegasus flying below me, I impacted him and heard a dull clanking of metal impacting metal. The force of the impact sent us both careening downwards. I pulled back my right front hoof and then slammed it into his head, and then let go of him before we impacted the ground. I slowed my descent by flaring my wings, but I still landed hard. The other pegasus on the other hoof, flailed in the air, attempting to right himself, before he landed on one of his wings. He let out a sharp yell at that, I winced slightly.


'Don't feel sorry for him, he's the enemy...' I told myself. I scanned my surroundings, just the two of us, and he wasn't going anywhere quickly. At least not flying, anyway. I looked at the pegasus, I felt pity for him, breaking a wing, especially like that, is extremely painful. He was trying to stand to his hooves, I could let him go, but he'd warn others. I'm not prepared to take prisoners either...


I grimaced and walked over to him, his eyes still held determination, it was surprising. I swiveled on my front hooves and pulled my back legs in, preparing to bash his unprotected neck in. I kicked out- the blow never landed, instead I was thrown off balance from the blow that had meant to finish him, throwing me backwards. I looked around in surprise, I turned to my left just in time to see a gold-plated, steel boot impact my muzzle. The force of the impact threw me backwards, I impacted a tree and several leaves came fluttering downwards in the wind.


I felt something warm and moist leaking from my muzzle, I cautiously lifted a hoof to wipe it away. I realized it was blood when I pulled my hoof away. I looked back towards the direction I had been hit from, two pegasi now stood there, one of them had a severely broken wing. I slowly got to my hooves, and then kicked off from the tree, beating my wings as hard as I could to provide additional speed. The injured pegasus never stood a chance, I impacted him with the force of an earth pony. He was sent flying into a tree, his body impacted first, and his head snapped back with an audible crack.


I wasn't given an opportunity to attack the second pegasus before he attacked me. He hit my head several times, sending pulses of pain through my brain as he repeatedly struck my already injured muzzle. I started blocking his blows with my own hooves, and started fighting back. My left hoof met his right hoof, our strengths were fairly evenly matched, he swung his left hoof wide, I spun on one leg and kicked his legs out from under him.


He rolled with the fall and quickly stood up, avoiding the blow I was sending with my front hooves. He crouched low, and jumped on me, my left hoof made contact with the side of his helmet, the blow didn't have the intended effect, and he threw a hoof upwards, impacting my unarmored jaw. His next blow hit my neck, I had to suppress the urge to gag as he threw me on the forest floor and started choking me.


I kicked out wildly with my hind legs as he held me in a choke hold, my hooves connected with his armor, but didn't cause him any harm. My vision was fading... Tiredness was creeping up my mind and I felt my body starting to go numb as my lungs burnt for air. A few moments later I lost consciousness.


Twilight Sparkle

My kingdom's financial status had improved significantly ever since the diamond dogs started mining gems, and Dodge Junction joined me. I let myself smile as I glanced over the treasury report. The diamond dogs were extracting dozens of gems a day, and the amount was rapidly rising. It seemed that the deeper they dug in the Everfree, the higher the crystal concentration became. At the rate it was increasing, assuming it didn't cap out, the sheer number of crystals contained underneath the Everfree Forest of usable size would number in the upper billions.


And that's not including the small fragments and shards they were extracting, ones that could be used for apparel. Rarity would have a hay day if she owned the mine. I chuckled as I imagined her reaction to receiving the report about the number of crystals they were extracting.


'Note to self, look into a spell for disassembling crystals into their base elements, and reassembling them into crystals of desired size.' Yes, that could prove useful I noted. The ability to mass produce identical crystals of the same size and shape, free from imperfections... I would be able to store a lot of magic with that. I frowned, 'Look into ways to store spells in crystals, it could prove useful.'


"Well. I'm bored."


I looked up from the documents and looked at the pegasus standing beside me. I had Rarity design and build her armor similar to mine, as such our armor's were nearly identical, with the exception of size, and cutie mark on her flank armor. Her armor also let her mane out, something she practically begged for, so her mane hung down her neck, contrasting with the purple armor she wore. "And I'm Princess Twilight Sparkle. It's a pleasure to meet you, Bored." I deadpanned.


Rainbow blankly starred at me for a solid minute before I returned to the documents I was going over. Truth be told, I had already went over them during breakfast, I was just double checking them. I heard Rainbow lightly huff, "Do you regret your decision yet?" I asked, hoping that she would say 'yes' so I could dismiss her and have this over with.


"Yes. But I'm not backing out of this." Rainbow's determination could have cut through steel.


'So much for that plan.' I sighed, then picked up the documents in my magic and teleported them away. "You do know you don't always have to follow me around, right?" I honestly had no idea if she knew that or not. I hoped she didn't, then she would find out and go not annoy me.


"I'm supposed to protect you though."


"Short of an entire army attacking me, or one of the princesses attacking me, I should be fine."


Rainbow chose not to respond.


I looked at the clock, 'About fifteen minutes till I have my training session with Sergeant Bolt... Rainbow's starting to hamper my ability to get any work done... And she's only been a guard for a few days... I need to give her something to do...' I walked over to the door, Rainbow followed me.


"You forgot something," Rainbow pointed at the tiara and regalia sitting on the table, I sighed and picked them up with my magic, placing the tiara upon my head, and the regalia around my neck.


"Thanks." I had been trying to get used to either wearing my armor or the tiara and regalia, while I was used to the weight of the armor, it was rather uncomfortable. It felt weird to wear the tiara and regalia. I opened the door with my magic, "Go ask Rarity if she has any spells for rearranging the molecular structure of crystal..." Rainbow looked at me with confusion, "Er... Ask Rarity if she knows a spell for combining crystals..."


"Yes, Princess."


Rainbow took off flying, I exhaled a sigh of relief. Rainbow, though not good at just standing around was reliable. She wasn't well disciplined, but she was fast, agile, strong, and loyal. Her brashness and inability to really think things through would make her a poor commander, but she was perfect for protecting me, or so Captain Light believed. He wanted her to follow me around pretty much all the time. I could order her not to, and I had a few times, but generally she DID make an effort to not interfere with my workload.


I lit my horn and cast my teleportation spell. The spell took hold and I soon found myself in the field where I had been training with Sergeant Bolt. The unicorn was nowhere to be seen, not surprisingly, I was early after all. The field however was ready. Jagged rocks stuck out of the ground, having been previously damaged by spells I had cast, spells designed to harm and kill living beings. The effects weren't the same on inanimate objects, but it helped give me the feel for the spells.


Pony mannequins were also lined up, as if in formation. They were adorned with painted yellow armor, I would practice breaking their armor with spells and my own hooves. And there was a rack of several spears, housing them while they were not being used. I would throw the spears with my magic, putting as much force into the telekinetic throw as I could. I could already penetrate normal steel armor with it.


I had spent a few hours studying some spells of dark magic, nothing as grotesque as the ones designed to lay waste to entire enemy armies, just ones designed to bend the world to your will. Ones that King Sombra had used to create crystal pillars from the ground. The crystal spikes and pillars were not actual crystal, and had none of the properties of crystal, with the exception of smooth reflective surfaces, and hardness. Once you damaged the crystal, the dark magic would start to dissipate, and the crystal would turn back into normal earth.


I prepared one of the spells in my mind, channeling my magic to my horn, and corrupting it to dark magic as it flowed into my horn. The normally purple glow of my horn was replaced by a green glow as the dark magic made it's presence known. Using dark magic did not feel right. It felt so wrong, it felt like my magic was being violated, like my body was sick...


I quickly released the spell, and a massive pillar of black crystal shot out from the ground beneath me. The pillar rose in the air, carrying me atop it until it stopped. I could see over the tops of the trees near me from this height. The pillar was more like a plateau, with a large enough surface area for me to walk around without fear of falling off, yet it wasn't large enough to cause any damage to anything in the field.


I prepared the spell again, this time making the spell more precise and energetic, I aimed it at one of the mannequins. I released the spell, and a black crystal shot out of the ground with such speed and force the armor was broken through both sides, impaling the mannequin, and carrying it up a few feet into the air. I grimaced at the thought of using that against a living pony.


I flapped my wings and hovered above the plateau beneath me, I looked at it quizzically, and channeled my magic into a beam spell to destroy it. I pulled my head up, and threw it down as I released the spell. The magic rushed out of my horn and impacted the pillar beneath me, sundering it. The pillar explodes, sending shards of crystal in every direction. The shards rapidly turned back into earth, and into dust and pebbles as they reached me. I smiled.


A voice called to me from below, I immediately recognized Sergeant Bolt, "I see you've been experimenting with dark magic, Princess."


I flew down and landed in front of him, "Just that particular spell," I pointed a hoof towards the impaled mannequin. I lit my horn and pointed it at the black crystal and released a spell to counter the dark magic. The spell hit the crystal, and it immediately turned back into earth and fell onto the ground in a pile.


"Be careful not to get carried away with dark magic, Princess." the sergeant warned.


"I'm careful... It's not the first time I've dealt with dark magic..." I had used dark magic once when I was a unicorn, after having seen Princess Celestia using it...


Princess Celestia used dark magic... I had forgot about that until now... I felt a shiver run down my spine when I considered the implications of that...


"Shall we get started, Princess?"


"What do you have in mind for today?"


He smiled, "Well, for starters..."


Twilight Sparkle

"What sort of spell are you wanting exactly?" Rarity asked as she looked over one of the gems she was holding in her magic.


"I'm wanting one to break crystals down into their base components and reassemble them, basically, I'm wanting a spell to convert one type of crystal or gem of any size into material to convert back into crystals of a particular kind and size. An example would be taking those small emerald shards and turning them into a amethyst star." I explained the spell I was wanting. Truth be told, I had no idea if such a spell existed. If it didn't, I would make it. That particular spell could prove useful. Very useful, if I could find a way to store barrier spells in crystals. With that, I could protect my ponies with magic, even earth ponies and pegasi. Having them protected by barrier spells, even if it wasn't as strong as what I could cast, would be very useful, and provide a massive advantage.


"That sounds like a very taxing spell to me... I don't think I've heard of such a spell before... Sorry, darling." Rarity was still somehow able to focus on both the conversation and making a dress at the same time. She carefully attached small emerald shards to the trim, adding a 'special touch' as she would call it.


"Thanks anyway, Rarity." I sighed and teleported back to the castle. I was slightly surprised when Rainbow came to get me. Rarity had told her to just have me stop by. It hadn't taken but a couple minutes for me to take care of that problem, my schedule wouldn't miss it.


"Sparkler?" I called out. The unicorn should be somewhere around here, I just need to find her. "Sparkler?"


"Sorry, over here Princess!"


I turned my head towards the direction her voice came from, I saw Sparkler quickly walking into the room, "That's fine, Sparkler. Do you have anything that I need to attend to?"


"Not currently, Princess."


I frowned, "Okay then. I'll be in my chambers if anypony needs me." I channeled my magic and teleported myself to my room. Something felt... Off. I felt a shiver run down my spine, nothing looked out of place, but... 'Wait, it's darker in here than I remember.' I started to get a sinking feeling. I lit my horn, and prepared to teleport away, I released it. Nothing happened. I bit my lower lip and prepared a barrier spell. I swivled on my back hooves and turned around with my horn lowered.


"Is that anyway to greet a friend, Princess Twilight?" she spoke, her voice was calm and collected.


"P-Princess Luna..." I quietly gasped in shock at the sight of the significantly stronger alicorn in my room. I took a step back and she raised an eyebrow.


"I thought you'd be happier to see me." Luna deadpanned and stepped forwards, "Regardless, I was just thinking... It's been a while, perhaps Twilight would want to talk."


Luna kept slowly stepping forwards, "St-Stay back." I commanded as I matched her pace, for each step forwards I took one back.


Princess Luna paused mid stride, "I'm not here to harm you. If I was..." Luna trailed off, letting it hang in the air, "I must admit, when I heard you also seceded, I was quite shocked. However..." she took a darker tone, "You do not have the experience required, or the power to rule the nation of Equestria..."


"I'm learning, and with the help of my friends-"


"Twilight. You should keep them out of this." Luna's voice took on a more concerned tone, "For the sake of them and yourself." Luna paused and shook her head before turning around. "I will defeat my sister. When that time comes, you will have the opportunity to surrender. I would advise you to take it."


"That's not going to happen... You both have made mistakes-"


Luna cut me off, "And you haven't?"


"I never said that... Luna, nopony is perfect. Not me, not you, not Celestia." I paused, "I don't want to have to fight either of you, but I will if it's what is best for Equestria."


Luna sighed, "It may indeed end up that way. I don't want to fight you either... My sister on the other hoof..."


"Why are you even here? Did you come just to intimidate me, or did you actually want to talk?"


"Twilight, you're not acting... As I would have expected, tell me, are you okay?"


Luna was getting on my nerves now. She knew full well what was wrong, and to have the nerve to play oblivious... "You know full well what's wrong. I haven't been sleeping well since that day. You keep giving me nightmares! I thought you were better than that!"


Luna seemed taken aback, "I... I didn't realize you were having nightmares... Twilight, forgive me, had I known I would have intervened, even if we're not on the best of terms... It is my duty, I... I sincerely apologize for this lapse in my duty.


I blinked. I opened my mouth to rebuke her, but found nothing forthcoming, her excuse... Or answer... Was believable, I had neglected my friends on more than one occasion since this started... "Sorry I... Snapped at you... It's just... These nightmares are horrible! Everypony keeps dying! My friends... Me...." I shook my head and fought back tears.


"You're handling that better than I... Would have expected..." Luna slowly approached me and put a wing on my back. "You're stronger emotionally than I realized..." Luna's face hardened, "It would do good to prepare yourself for battle, however. If you get in my way, I will fight you."


I lit my horn and sent us flying apart with a telekinetic wave. Luna easily recovered from the sudden force and was quickly on her hooves. I tumbled over and landed on my side. "Ugh..." I moaned.


"I wasn't..." Luna huffed, "Very well, I can see I am not wanted here. I shall take my leave." Luna lit her horn and teleported, whatever spells she had placed on my room immediately dissipated.


Princess Luna

"I most certainly need to work on my ponies skill." I mused aloud with a slight tinge of anger. "She... She honestly thought I was causing her nightmares... That's... I would never..." I kicked the floor, venting some of my anger. I hadn't even told her what I had gone to tell her. I grimaced, 'No matter, she will find out sooner or later.' I looked around the room, my eyes landed on the armor stand. I levitated the armor off the stand and placed it upon my body.


General Maneuver drew near Stalliongrad, my defense was prepared. All that was left was for him to attack, and my counterattack would begin.


I stormed out of my chambers, I made my way to the throne room with haste. The guards bowed as I passed them, the commanders were already assembled and prepared, I would execute my plan swiftly, and end this conflict before it spread into neighboring countries. Celestia had made many mistakes in the past year, sending one third of her forces to attempt to take Stalliongrad was by far the biggest.


"Generals!" I shouted as I threw open the doors to the throne room, all eyes immediately turned onto me, "Report on General Maneuver's position." I firmly commanded.


General Gale, a slender, blue pegasus with a brown mane, a former colonel in the Royal Guard approached me and bowed, "My Princess, General Maneuver's forces are approximately two days march from Stalliongrad. Most of the scouts sent to locate his position did not return, they are presumed dead or captured."


"Their sacrifice shall be remembered when I rule Equestria." I stated matter-of-factly. "General, prepare our forces to move out. We will attack Celestia and her forces while General Maneuver is preoccupied."


"Yes, Princess!" He shouted with a salute and hurried off to assemble our forces.


I slowly and methodically walked over to the table with a map on it. The map was one of Equestria and the surrounding nations, it had pieces representing army units all over the place, along with flags for positions and loyalties. I picked up the piece representing me in my magic, and placed it near Celestia's forces. I smiled, having moved my piece into play.


I was ready for what was coming. My forces would move out immediately, and wait for the right moment. When that moment came... I smiled.