• Published 4th Jun 2012
  • 5,032 Views, 40 Comments

Breaking Point - Picardy Third



Keeping secrets is never easy on your mind, but telling secrets can sometimes be harder.

  • ...
7
 40
 5,032

Part I

Author's Note: This is already posted over on fanfiction.net, I just decided to bring it here. This was my first fanfiction for this fandom, which is why it's a little... rough. People on fanfiction.net have enjoyed it, though, so I hope you do too!.

PART I

“Awright, everypony. Just a little more now!” Applejack declared with a rope in her mouth. The rope was connected to a pulley system that was holding onto a large wooden sign. Upon the sign emblazoned the bright red letters: “Sweet Apple Acres”

“How much longer, Applejack?” Rarity asked, being one of the four ponies holding tight to the rope.

“Just until the top o’ them there signposts.” Applejack said, her teeth holding strong to the rope, and giving a quick gesture to the top of the posts that the pulleys were attached to, and the sign was being raised to.

“One more pull now!” Applejack instructed, “One… two… three!”

With a great heave, Twilight, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Rarity lifted the sign into place and held it steady.

“Okay, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy!” Applejack shouted. On cue, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy swooped in with hammers and nails, ready to pound the sign in place.

“Alright, here goes!” Rainbow Dash shouted, putting a nail in place and giving a big swing of the hammer. The nail sailed into place, and she went down the sign driving in more nails in a similar fashion.

“I’m all done, Applejack!” Rainbow dash said, then looked over to Fluttershy, who was having a difficult time.

“I’m almost done, Applejack.” Fluttershy said, lightly tapping on her first nail.

“Fluttershy!” Twilight complained, her jaws starting to get sore from holding the rope so long.

“Oh, um… I’m sorry…” Fluttershy said, stopping with the hammer entirely.

“I gotcha” Rainbow Dash said with a groan. She swooped over to Fluttershy and made short work of pounding all the nails in.

“All done!” Rainbow Dash declared.

“Let go, everypony!” Applejack declared. All the ponies let go of their ropes, letting them fall lazily under the sign that was now securely in place.

“Yee-haw!” Applejack cried out, “Ain’t that somethin’?”

“It’s a beautiful sign, Applejack.” Rarity commented.

“Much better than the old one.” Twilight also said.

“It didn’t even have your name on it!” Pinkie pie declared.

“The sign’s not supposed to have mah name on it, Pinkie Pie.” Applejack replied.

“….ohhh!” Pinkie answered.

“Well we almost didn’t get it up at all, Fluttershy…” Rainbow Dash complained.

“Rainbow!” Twilight scolded, “You can’t blame Fluttershy!”

“Why not? She couldn’t get one nail in!”

“I’m… I’m sorry…” Fluttershy said softly.

“It’s awright, sugarcube.” Applejack comforted her, “We got the sign up, ‘tsall that matters.”

“Yay! Let’s go get some treats back at Sugarcube Corner!” Pinkie Pie shouted excitedly.

“I think that would be a great idea.” Twilight said.

“That’s mighty kind of ya, Pinkie Pie.” Applejack said.

***

“Here’s a fresh batch!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed, holding a big plate of heavily frosted cupcakes.

There were ‘thanks’ being said by everypony as they grabbed cupcakes with frosting that matched their fur color.

“I made them special for you guys!” Pinkie Pie said happily, grabbing her bright pink one.

“They’re great!” Applejack exclaimed.

“Simply delightful.” Rarity agreed, along with general agreement from the rest of the table.

“Hey, Fluttershy…” Rainbow dash said.

“Um…” Fluttershy said, mouth full of cupcake. She swallowed and looked at Rainbow Dash, “Yes, Rainbow?”

“Sorry for snapping at you back there… I dunno what’s up with me lately.”

“Oh, that’s okay Rainbow.” Fluttershy said. “I’m not mad.”

“Good to hear!” Rainbow Dash said. She turned back to the conversation at the table just in time to hear Rarity talking about her most recent crush.

“…And he just can’t keep his eyes off me, I swear!” Rarity said, running a hoof along the edge of her frosted cupcake, “We will be together.” Rarity said dreamily.

“Spike won’t be very happy to hear that.” Twilight said jokingly.

“*GASP* You told!!!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed.

“Oh, please, Pinkie Pie.” Twilight said, brushing Pinkie Pie off as if it were nothing.

“Spike trusted us…” Pinkie Pie said, drawing unnecessarily close to Twilight’s face.

“Oh, don’t fret, Pinkie Pie, Spike has made it quite clear how he feels about me. And how can I blame him?” Rarity asked. There was a chuckle at the table, “Besides, he wouldn’t dare stop me from getting the man of my dreams!”

“Isn’t this man of your dreams number 5 for this month?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Why does that matter?” Rarity asked with an annoyed tone.

“Yea, why does that matter?” Twilight asked.

“I dunno, just pointing it out.” Rainbow Dash said, swallowing the rest of her cupcake in one bite, getting leftover frosting all over her face.

“And a few manners wouldn’t hurt you either.” Rarity commented.

“What’s it to ya? I’ll eat how I want!” Rainbow Dash retorted.

“Rainbow, please.” Applejack said calmly.

“It’s obvious that you’re just still a little high-strung from this morning. Why don’t you-“ Twilight began to suggest.

“It’s always the analyzing with you, isn’t it, Twilight? Why can’t things just be as simple as Rarity’s gettin’ on my nerves?” Rainbow Dash asked.

The table was silent. Rainbow Dash hadn’t acted like this ever, especially not at Sugarcube Corner. Who could be in a bad mood at Sugarcube Corner?

“You want another cupcake?” Pinkie Pie asked innocently, smiling brightly.

“No… I do not want another cupcake…” Rainbow Dash growled, feeling targeted by her friends. A little embarrassed, she got out of her chair and started walking to the door, “I’ll see you guys later.”

After she was a good distance away, the conversation began again.

“What is with her today?” Twilight asked.

“Yes, she’s awfully irritable, that’s for sure.” Rarity agreed.

“Ah think somethin’s wrong with her.” Applejack suggested.

“Maybe she just has something on her mind.” Fluttershy suggested. She looked out the door sadly and walked toward it. “I’m going to talk to her.”

“We should have more cupcakes!” Pinkie Pie said happily, throwing her arms in the air. The rest of the ponies looked at her curiously before agreeing and letting Pinkie Pie go fetch more cupcakes from the kitchen.

***

“Rainbow Dash?” Fluttershy called out quietly. She was flying over Ponyville with a fairly good amount of altitude, allowing for a wide-angled view of the town. She flew toward Rainbow Dash’s home in the clouds and went up to the door. She knocked a few times and waited for a response, but none came. She flew by the windows and saw nobody inside.

Then, as she was rounding the house for a third time, she caught a small bit of sky blue in the direction of the riverside. Sure enough, she could see Rainbow Dash’s brightly-colored mane from all the way up by her house.

“Oh!” Fluttershy said, diving toward the ground and making great haste to reach Rainbow Dash.

She landed about a hundred feet from Rainbow Dash, not wanting to startle her. Fluttershy walked right up to Rainbow Dash.

“H-hey, Rainbow Dash.” Fluttershy said. No reply. Rainbow Dash simply sat and stared at the water, a tear or two visible in her eye.

“A-are you okay?” Fluttershy asked, getting closer.

“Go away, Fluttershy, I don’t want to make anybody else mad at me right now.” Rainbow Dash replied harshly, smacking a rock with her hoof and sending it flying into the water’s current.

“Um… I’m not mad at you, Rainbow.” Fluttershy said. She walked up to Rainbow and had a seat beside her.

“I’m sorry, Fluttershy. I just… feel very emotional right now.” Rainbow Dash said, “I don’t know why.”

“I think you have something on your mind.” Fluttershy suggested. “Maybe we could talk about it? I-if that’s okay with you…”

“…” Rainbow dash didn’t answer, but instead looked in the opposite direction.

“Well… um… if I was you, I’d consider letting some of this out. Maybe you should get a diary?”

“A diary?” Rainbow Dash said, not taking the idea seriously.

“Yes. It really helps relieve your stress. You can tell your diary anything, and it never tells a soul.”

“I would sure hope not.” Rainbow Dash said. “I dunno… diaries are kinda girly for me.”

“It doesn’t matter how girly it is if it works…” Fluttershy said. “I’m gonna go back into town with the girls. Think about it, okay, Rainbow?”

“Alright, Fluttershy.” Rainbow Dash replied. Fluttershy turned and flew away, back to town. Rainbow Dash sighed and looked down at the water. She then reached underneath where she was sitting and found a photo from long ago that she had brought to the river with her.

It was a picture of her parents.

Rainbow dash looked at the picture for a few seconds, then with tears in her eyes, and a fierce scowl, ripped it clean in two and threw the pieces in the river.

“Maybe Fluttershy’s right.” Rainbow Dash said aloud. She watched the two halves of paper float down the river quickly, “I need to let some of this out.”

***

“Hey there, Rainbow Dash.” Twilight Sparkle said as she saw Rainbow Dash entered the library the next morning. Rainbow Dash looked around and then at Twilight, who smiled and waited for Rainbow Dash to say something.

“Um… do you have any empty diaries here that I might be able to buy?” Rainbow Dash asked quietly.

“Why so quiet, Dash? I’ve got some that I’ve accumulated over the years. You can just have one!” Twilight Sparkle said excitedly.

“Thanks.” Rainbow Dash said. Twilight made her way back to a shelf in a corner of the library, where there were some smaller books. As she performed the spell to extract the book, she turned to Rainbow Dash.

“So, why are you getting a diary? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“I just need to clear my head, and Fluttershy thinks this is the best way to do it.”

“Well, a diary can be a good person to talk to if you’re going through some trouble. I think this will be good for you.”

“I hope so too. Sorry for getting all mean yesterday.” Rainbow Dash said.

“It’s alright, Rainbow. We all have those days!” Twilight said.

“Yea, I guess we do.” Rainbow Dash said, smiling. “Thanks again!”

“No problem! Stop by again!”

“Will do!” Rainbow Dash said as she left the building.

Twilight watched her leave and turned back to the library, “Please, she won’t visit unless she’s crashing through the window.”

***

“Alright.” Rainbow Dash said, setting her new diary down on her desk back at her cloud home. “Let’s try this out.”
Dear Diary,

Fluttershy thinks that I should write a diary to help clear my mind. She’s probably right. I do have a lot on my mind right now, and I need to let it out. But… not all at once, okay? Let’s take baby steps. I’ve been getting mad at everypony lately, and they don’t deserve it. It’s because I’m so stressed out lately. Stupid secrets! Why do I even have to keep them in the first place? I guess I just don’t want what happened with my parents to happen again. That story’s for a different time, though. That’s enough for now.

Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash closed the diary and set down her pen. She felt excited to let everything out, but felt that it would be best to pace herself and not just write everything all at once. She felt almost… excited to write again. Is this how Twilight Sparkle felt when she was writing her theories and thesis?

Rainbow Dash then decided to leave her house and go back down to Ponyville. She hadn’t visited Applejack by herself in awhile, besides she still felt she had to apologize for being a jerk.

***

“Well, howdy there Rainbow Dash!” Applejack greeted from the barn door, seeing Rainbow Dash flying toward her.

“Hey Applejack!” Rainbow Dash called. She landed on the ground right in front of Applejack. “How’re things today?” Rainbow dash asked.

“Bit slow. Not much to do now that sign’s all done. Thanks fer the help, by the way.” Applejack said.

“Oh, it was nothing.” Rainbow Dash said. “And I’m… sorry I got all moody and stuff. I don’t know what was wrong with me yesterday…”

“Aw, it’s nothin’” Applejack said, “Sometimes we all just need to let some extra air outta the tires, but… maybe not on others anymore.”

“Yea… like I said, I’m sorry.”

“Ferget about it.” Applejack, “Although… I did wanna ask… you know… are you alright?”

“Whaddya mean?”

“Well, Fluttershy thought you had a lot on yer mind, and… well, if you need someone ta talk to.” Applejack said.

“Thanks, Applejack, but Fluttershy told me the same thing, and thought it would be a good idea to get me a diary.”

“A diary? Why on earth would y’all get one o’ them things. They’re nuthin’ but a way for fillies to go obsessin’ over boys…”

“Or maybe a way to freely talk about my personal life without fear of what a pony would say.”

“You can trust me, sugarcube. I’m all ears!” Applejack said.

“…I dunno, Applejack. I know I can tell you anything, but… I think I need to clear my own head first before I start dragging you into it.”

“Well, alright. Whatever makes ya feel better.” Applejack said, a little disheartened.

“Thanks…” Rainbow Dash said.

There was an awkward silence, consumed by thought. Applejack wondered what Rainbow Dash could have locked up inside that was causing her so much stress, and Rainbow Dash debated whether to tell her friend everything or not…

“Wanna play some horseshoes?” Applejack suggested. Rainbow Dash smiled and nodded.

***

Dear Diary,

Good evening! After I wrote this morning, I went and visited Applejack. We talked for a little and then we played some horseshoes. After we both won 3 games each, we went into town and got some lunch at the Café. I have a feeling that if I’m going to tell anyone what I’m hiding, it’s going to be Applejack. I really like being around her, and she seems to understand me the best. I don’t think she could ever hate me, but… we’ll see.

Rainbow Dash.

***

In the following days, Rainbow Dash’s attitude began to get better and better. Her temper went down by leaps and bounds, and she was back to her old self in no time. This diary was really helping her, just by having somebody to talk to that she wasn’t afraid of offending or otherwise. She hadn’t really even delved into her personal secrets and problems, but no more than a month after she began to write, she was feeling like it was time.

Dear Diary,

It appears that I’ve been doing nothing but vent about my problems lately. I think it’s time to really let out all that juicy stuff. Okay, I guess I should start with why I left my parents’ house…

And Rainbow Dash continued on for a good half hour, spilling out every detail of herself that she kept hidden from her friends. It felt good to release everything, even if the only pony who knew was herself. There must have been some deeper, psychological reason behind the mental relief of confiding in a diary.

…but I can’t tell anybody these things, because I’m afraid of what they’ll think.

“Howdy up there!” Applejack called from the ground, up at Rainbow Dash’s house.

Oh! Applejack just called for me. Hope that helped both of us, Diary!

Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash closed the diary and left it out on her desk, then hurried to her door and looked to the ground. She saw Applejack waving and staring up at Rainbow’s house. Rainbow Dash sighed contentedly and jumped off the edge. She let herself fall freely until she was very close to the ground, then let her wings out and pulled out of her death-defying dive. She did a few twirls in the air and landed beside Applejack.

“You’ve been spending an awful lot of time up there with that there diary of yours. You sure its’ healthy?”

“Heh, of course it is!” Rainbow Dash said, slightly blushing.

“…what were you writin’ about up there?”

“Just some personal stuff.” Rainbow Dash said with a smile, “Sorry. Can’t say!”

Applejack frowned slightly, “You know, keeping these secrets is only going to make your stress worse.”

“I’m not keeping secrets!” Rainbow Dash said, “I’m telling my diary everything!”

“Oh, you know what ah mean!” Applejack said, finally letting a smile escape her lips. “C’mon, now, the girls are waitin’ down at Sugarcube Corner.”

“Okay, Applejack.”

***

Applejack and Rainbow Dash arrived at Sugarcube Corner and walked inside to see Twilight, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity gathered at their usual table.

“Hey guys!” Rainbow Dash greeted from the door.

“Rainbow, Applejack!” The group greeted them.

“Where’s Fluttershy?” Rainbow asked, taking her seat around the table.

“Oh, she’ll be a little late.” Rarity said, “She had to tend to some of the animals.”

“That’s Fluttershy.” Twilight agreed.

The group of five ponies sat around the table and began chatting about their day, as always. Rainbow Dash hadn’t lost her temper since that last time at Sugarcube Corner, so of course she was a little worried about what everypony was thinking. Would she lose it again?

Just then, somepony burst through the door and closed it quickly behind her. It was Fluttershy. She looked frightened and out of breath.

“Fluttershy? What’s wrong?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“It’s Gilda! She’s back!” Fluttershy said between her gasps.

“Gilda! Now what in tarnation is that piece o’ work doin’ back here?” Applejack said.

“I dunno, but it can’t be good.” Rainbow Dash said. “I hope she’s not still mad about that last time.”

“Also…” Fluttershy said, catching her breath, “She’s looking for you, Rainbow Dash.”

The group fell silent and looked at Rainbow Dash, who groaned. “Let’s go.”

Everypony walked outside, where a fairly good crowd was gathered around the griffon that had made her entrance quite well known. They all remembered this girl from when she was there last time. Not many people have ever dared to make Fluttershy cry.

“Where’s Rainbow Dash? I got some words for her!” Gilda called out.

“I’m right here, Gilda.” Rainbow Dash said irritably, emerging from Sugarcube Corner with her friends behind her. Gilda turned her attention and scowled.

“Well, hello old friend.” Gilda said with a sickening smile.

“Gilda, why are you here?” Rainbow Dash asked sharply, driving a hoof into the ground.

“Aren’t you happy to see me?” Gilda asked innocently, “I won’t stay for long, I promise.” She said with a bite, looking around at the ponies, “All these ponies drive me crazy.”

There was general chatter from the crowd surrounding the griffon about her abrupt rudeness.

“I was just flying over with my boyfriend.” Gilda said, though Rainbow Dash saw no such boyfriend, “And I thought I should pay you a visit. So, I stopped by your house and you weren’t home. It’s too bad. You’re house isn’t the same without you in it.”

“You were in my house?!” Rainbow Dash shouted.

“Oh yea, sorry about that.” Gilda said sarcastically. “Anyway, I was snoopin around your room, when I found… this.” Gilda said, holding up a purple book with golden trimmings, labeled “Diary.” “Just sitting on your desk.” Rainbow Dash suddenly lost all anger and instead replaced it with fear.

“G-Gilda, give me that.” Rainbow Dash said, lowering her stance and preparing to charge at her.

“You know, there’s some juicy stuff in here.” Gilda said, casually flipping through the pages, as if she and Rainbow dash were simply studying this book over coffee in the library.

“Gilda, give her the diary!” Twilight shouted, but it went unnoticed by the griffon.

“Dear diary,” Gilda began. Rainbow Dash charged, but was suddenly stopped by a pair of large, brown, feathery arms. Rainbow Dash struggled intensely then looked up and saw a male griffon holding her tightly. “’Sup.” He grunted and flipped a few feathers out of his face.

“Rainbow dash, meet my boyfriend, Rodney.” Gilda said quickly then went back to the diary in her hands. She cleared her throat, “Anyway, Dear Diary… ooh, this is my favorite entry! Let’s skip to my favorite part, shall we?” Gilda said, running a feathery finger down the page.

“GILDA! PUT IT DOWN!” Rainbow Dash shouted.

“Tha’s none o’ yer business!” Applejack shouted.

“I guess I should start with why I left my parent’s house.” Gilda began. Rainbow Dash instantly recognized the sentence from her entry earlier in the day. She struggled more, trying everything possible to get out of Rodney’s grasp and to get to the book before Gilda could read any further.

“GILDA!” Rainbow Dash struggled.

“My parents were good to me, except they didn’t like people who were too different, and I was different.” Gilda read as if she were reading to a kindergarten class, her smile growing wider and wider with each word.

“Gilda! PLEASE!” Rainbow Dash said, flapping her wings fiercely and trying to elbow Rodney wherever possible.

“Cut it out, you!” Applejack shouted.

“How rude!” Rarity called.

“Stop being so mean!” Pinkie Pie also shouted.

“I told them my big secret and they flipped. So, what is my big secret?” Gilda continued, her volume growing, as well as her smile.

“GILDA, STOP NOW!!!” Rainbow Dash said, her rage building to a point of explosion.

Gilda looked Rainbow Dash right in the eyes, “I’m a lesbian.” Gilda finished loudly with a big smile on her face. There was a gasp from the crowd, and Rainbow Dash felt the pressure building in her. The word was out. She dared not look back at her friends’ faces. She knew that they hated her now, just like her parents. Oh, how her parents hated her for that… She wanted to cry, but she wouldn’t. She wouldn’t give Gilda the satisfaction.

“We’re leaving.” Gilda said. Rodney let go of Rainbow Dash, and the blue Pegasus immediately charged at Gilda. Gilda quickly jumped in the air. Rainbow Dash didn’t follow her, she hadn’t the energy. While flying higher, Gilda called “Hope you learned a lesson about how to treat your old friends.”

Gilda laughed evilly and took off, shouting, “Later, fillyfooler!”

Rainbow Dash winced at the name, remembering the number of times it had replaced her own name back at home with mom and dad. She looked back at her friends, who all looked at her with awed faces and surprised expressions. Rainbow Dash looked around at the many townspeople, who were likewise giving Rainbow Dash looks of surprise, interest, and in a few cases, disapproval. Rainbow Dash was alone inside the large circle of ponies created around the scene.

“Fillyfooler!” A male voice called out from the crowd. Rainbow Dash closed her eyes at the name and looked around again. She didn’t know what to do. She started hearing chatter from the audience. Amongst the noise, she heard a few remarks that were nothing but salt in the wound.

“Disgusting”

Rainbow Dash turned her head a few times, frozen to the spot.

“Just wrong.”

The world was spinning, she felt sick

“It’s not how it’s meant to be.”

Rainbow Dash looked angrily over at the purple diary whose pages were left lying open on the ground and felt tears leap to her eyes.

“Let’s go, it’s nothing but a dirty fillyfooler.”

Rainbow Dash, feeling more weak and targeted then ever before, walked slowly over to the diary.

“What would her PARENTS think?”

“Just like last time…” Rainbow Dash said quietly to herself, making her best effort to hold back the tears. She picked up the diary and held it close.

“Her PARENTS…”

Rainbow Dash wiped a few tears away and took off flying in the direction of her house.

“Wait! Rainbow Dash!” Applejack called from the ground. Rainbow Dash travelled at record speed. Applejack watched her friend go, afraid of what would happen. Then, she saw Fluttershy take off after her, faster than she had ever seen Fluttershy fly before. However, it would take more than Fluttershy’s sudden speed boost to beat Rainbow Dash to her house.

Applejack turned around and faced the girls again. She walked over to them slowly and followed them back inside Sugarcube Corner.

***

“Rainbow Dash?” Fluttershy said, knocking on Rainbow Dash’s door. She waited a few seconds and then knocked again, “Rainbow, it’s okay.”

The door opened, and Rainbow Dash let Fluttershy in, her eyes swollen from crying.

“Rainbow Dash, it’s okay. Gilda said some awful things back there, but she’s gone.”

“She was reading out of my diary.” Rainbow Dash said, “It doesn’t matter that Gilda said them, they’re all true.” Rainbow sniffed. “They would have come out eventually.”

“Wait… what?”

“See for yourself.” Rainbow Dash said, throwing the diary down beside Fluttershy’s feet. “Page 16.”

Fluttershy grabbed the diary and flipped to the appropriate page. She began to read the page that Gilda read aloud to the whole town.

Dear Diary,

It appears that I’ve been doing nothing but vent about my problems lately. I think it’s time to really let out all that juicy stuff. Okay, I guess I should start with when I left my parents’ house. My parents were good to me, but they didn’t like people that were different, and I was different. When I told them my big secret, they flipped. So, what is my big secret? I’m a lesbian. Yea, I know, it’s all wrong and I should be ashamed of myself. My parents told me that until I was forced to move out by my own will to live somewhere nice. I moved to Ponyville, knowing that I wouldn’t make the same mistake again by telling people that I like girls. If I get called a fillyfooler one more time, I swear… I thought I could just keep it a secret forever, but with mounting tension and Rarity’s constant talking about her crushes, I couldn’t take it anymore. That’s why I’m glad I have you, diary. Also, you’re the only one I can tell my biggest secret of all… I have a huge crush on Applejack! Don’t tell anyone! I just discovered this a few days ago, when we were hanging out. I wish I could just tell everypony that I’m a lesbian and I love Applejack, but I can’t tell anypony these things, because they’ll hate me, just like my parents did. Oh! Applejack just called for me. Hope that helped both of us, Diary!

Rainbow Dash

“Rainbow…” Fluttershy said, putting the book down and backing away from it slowly.

“It’s all there in black and white.” Rainbow Dash said, “The reason why I left Cloudsdale in the first place. I love the place, but I couldn’t live with my parents because… they hated me.”

“I… I…” Fluttershy stammered, backing towards the door.

“F-Fluttershy?” Rainbow Dash said. “Fluttershy, don’t…”

“I-I’m sorry, I… I’ve got to go…” Fluttershy said, then ran out the door and jumped down to the ground.

“Fluttershy!” Rainbow Dash shouted, running after her friend. But, when she got to the edge, she realized that chasing after her would only make things worse. Rainbow Dash started to cry again, realizing that Fluttershy would tell everypony about the contents of the diary, especially the part about Applejack.

Rainbow Dash looked out at the sky and thought of Applejack, who was perhaps the only glow of light in this dark time… now will resent her forever. Rainbow Dash could hardly live with it. The truth hurt too much.

Realizing that all of her friends would now hate her, Rainbow Dash turned back into her house and prepared to leave.

Forever.

***

“It’s all true!” Fluttershy said, running inside Sugarcube corner. “Gilda didn’t make it up, it’s all true.”

“Why isn’t Rainbow Dash with you?” Twilight Sparkle asked. “You couldn’t convince her to come down?”

“Yes, we must talk some sense into her.” Rarity said, “Poor girl, thinking that girls are attractive.”

“But you ARE attractive, Rarity!” Pinkie Pie said.

“Thanks, Pinkie Pie, but that’s not what I mean.” Rarity said.

“Whaddya mean, talk sense inta her?” Applejack asked, “What’s there to talk about?”

“Well, that she’s wrong and that we’re not supposed to be attracted to other girls, but to boys.” Rarity said. “It’s common sense, really.”

“And why does that matter?” Applejack demanded.

“Well… it…” Rarity defended.

“It doesn’t matter! That’s why.” Applejack said, “So what if Rainbow Dash has a thing for the ladies? Who’s to say that’s the right or wrong way?”

“You’re right, Applejack!” Pinkie Pie said.

“I agree.” Twilight agreed, getting a rapid nod from Pinkie Pie and disapproving look from Rarity.

“Well, I still think it’s wrong.” Rarity said, “But, I won’t allow myself to be consumed with anger over this. I will support her decision.”

“So, why didn’t you bring Rainbow Dash with you?” Twilight asked Fluttershy.

“Well, when I was up there, she made me read the whole diary entry. It was all there, about her parents and how she’s… different. And at the end she said…” Fluttershy looked up at Applejack, “That… uh… she…” Applejack gave her a curious look, “…was afraid that the same thing that happened with her parents would happen here.”

Applejack tilted her head slightly, confused as to why Fluttershy focused her attention on her so much.

“Well I think we should go tell her that we still love her!” Pinkie Pie said, getting nods of approval from the rest of them, “Maybe we can have a coming out party!”

“Yes.” Rarity said, “Even though I don’t agree, that doesn’t mean that Rainbow Dash is less my friend. She needs us now.”

“Well we need to get her, then.” Applejack stated.

***

“Rainbow Dash!!!” Fluttershy called from Rainbow Dash’s front door, knocking rapidly. She looked through windows and flew around the house multiple times, calling her name over and over again. She was nowhere to be seen.

“Oh, Rainbow Dash, where are you?!” Fluttershy called, albeit a bit quietly, but still audible. Fluttershy rounded the house a few more times, then went back down to the rest of the ponies, worry evident.

“I can’t find her. She’s not home.” Fluttershy said.

“Well, where could she be?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“I dunno.” Applejack said. “You think she went back in town?”

“Not likely, did you hear some of those nasty things that crowd were saying?” Rarity said.

“We might as well split up and search the area for any sight of her.” Twilight said.

“Good idea, Twilight.” Fluttershy said.

“I’ll search above.” Fluttershy said, taking off in the direction of the river again.

“I’ll look around town anyway. You never know!” Pinkie Pie said.

“Ah’m gonna take the path out of town t’ward the mountains. Sumthin’ tells me she’s tryin’ to run away.” Applejack said.

“Well, if you’re going that way, I’ll check Sweet Apple Acres.” Twilight said.

“And I will stay here in case she comes back to her house.” Rarity said.

***

“Rainbow Dash?” Twilight called. She went up and down the rows of apple trees, hoping that she would see a bit of blue somewhere.

“Rainbow Dash, where are you?” Twilight called. She saw a patch of blue fur from through the apple trees a few rows away and got excited.

“Rainbow Dash! Rainbow Dash, is that you?!” Twilight Sparkle asked, but who she ran into was not Rainbow Dash.

“Oh, hello Apple Cider.” Twilight greeted when she realized who the pony was.

“Twilight Sparkle!” Well, golly, I haven’t seen y’all since the reunion!” She said, giggling, “Have you seen cousin Applejack? I came fer a visit an-.”

“Apple Cider, I’m sorry, but I really can’t talk. Our friend Rainbow Dash has gone missing and we can’t find her.”

“Well that’s no good. What’s she look like?”

“Same color as you, but with a rainbow mane.”

“Well, shoot, I ain’t seen nuthin’ like that! But I’ll sure as sugar come find ya if I do!” Apple Cider said enthusiastically.

“Thank you.” Twilight Sparkle said with a smile. Apple Cider walked away and Twilight groaned. She looked into the rows and rows of apple trees and sighed. “Maybe I should check the barn.”

***

“Rainbow Dash!” Pinkie Pie called, running through town. She looked around street corners and peeked into stores, calling Rainbow’s name.

Pinkie Pie ran into Sugarcube Corner and tried to see if Rainbow Dash was in there, waiting for her friends.

“Rainbow Dash?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“We haven’t seen her, dear.” Mrs. Cake said. Pinkie Pie turned and left the shop, determined to locate her troubled friend.

“Rainbow Dash!” Pinkie Pie shouted. She got annoyed looks from passerby ponies who weren’t in the mood to have somepony shouting in their ear.

“Have you seen Rainbow Dash?” Pinkie Pie asked some random pony. She got a shrug. “What about you? Have you seen Rainbow Dash?”

“How about you? Rainbow Dash?” She asked somepony.

“Uck, that fillyfooler?” The pony replied. Pinkie Pie was taken aback.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“It’s just wrong that she is trying to act this way. Who is she trying to fool?”

“Now wait just a minute!” Pinkie Pie said angrily, “Just because she’s different doesn’t mean she’s wrong!” Pinkie Pie said, “She’s not fooling anypony.”

“Oh, you poor girl. So delusioned…” The pony said, walking away. Pinkie Pie let out an exasperated grunt and continued her search.

***

Fluttershy was flying with great speed over the land. She didn’t call Rainbow Dash’s name. If anything, that would make it harder to find her. She obviously wanted to be alone, so why would she come out if her name was called? Besides, Fluttershy believed herself to be too loud. It might upset somepony.

She passed over almost every bit of land she could. When she soared over town, she saw Pinkie Pie running up to random citizens and questioning them. When she flew over Sweet Apple Acres, she thought she saw Twilight talking to Rainbow Dash, but it ended up being one of Applejack’s many relatives.

She flew back to where Rarity was at Rainbow Dash’s house, having searched the entire landscape.

“I can’t find her anywhere.” Fluttershy said to Rarity, who was keeping watch vigilantly. “And I know most of her secret hangouts. She wasn’t at a single one.”

“Oh, this is just awful! How could I be so selfish as to believe that her way is wrong.” Rarity said. “I had some time to think while you were out looking, and I realize now that there’s nothing wrong with liking girls instead of boys. How silly of me to be so shallow!” Rarity said. “I should be happy for Rainbow Dash.”

“That’s good, Rarity.” Fluttershy said, smiling, “But you won’t get to tell her that if we don’t find her.” Fluttershy looked around, hoping that by some miracle Rainbow Dash would come flying to her house. She sighed and took off flying again.

***

Applejack soared down the road out of town. She approached the mountains with great speed and fire in her heart. Her best gal is not going to run away like this, not thinking that everypony hates her!

“Rainbow!” Applejack called, “Rainbow Dash!”

She looked around as she ran, desperate to see some part of her friend. At the first sign of blue fur, she was going to pounce and give her the biggest hug possible. Then she’d beat her up for scaring her like this!

As the mountains drew closer, Applejack let the rhythm of her running open up her mind and allowed her to think freely.

Ah wonder what it was that Fluttershy was gonna say… Applejack thought, remembering the incident in Sugarcube Corner. Fluttershy seemed like she wanted to tell Applejack something… something that she had found in Rainbow Dash’s diary.

Ah’ll have ta ask that filly sometime later. Applejack thought. What could Rainbow Dash have written in her diary about me that she can’t tell to mah face?

“Rainbow Dash!” Applejack shouted once she reached the forests that covered the mountain base. The trail became much more treacherous now, really being less of a trail and more of a jagged path. Eventually, the path was hardly discernable from the foliage around it.

Applejack walked through trees, over bushes, and under fallen logs. She was bound and determined to find her friend.

“Rainbow!” Applejack called again. She was now miles from Ponyville, much farther than she had wanted to go. She contemplated going back and searching another section of the mountains, but by then, Rainbow Dash could be halfway to Fillydelphia! She stood still for a few seconds and listened to her surroundings, hoping that she would detect something… anything!

She heard soft cries from off to her far right in the enveloping silence that filled the area. A glimmer of hope filled Applejack’s body. Applejack craned her neck to get a better look, looking off to the right as far as she could, and saw very faintly a patch of light-blue fur.

“Rainbow Dash!” Applejack said excitedly, smiling. Applejack ran through the underbrush as fast as she could and found Rainbow Dash curled up in a ball, crying to herself. A stick with a bag on it was laying down beside her, its contents strewn about the small area that Rainbow Dash occupied.

The blue pony was a mess. She was crying softly, the tears streaming down her face, her eyes bloodshot and puffy. A thin layer of dirt and bits of the forest coated her body. Rainbow Dash took notice of Applejack’s presence, but simply waited for her to say something, afraid of what she would say.

“Hey there, Sugarcube.” Applejack greeted.

“I know I’m disgusting.” Rainbow Dash said, “My parents made that quite clear.”

“Aw, now you’re judging’ me.” Applejack said, chuckling. She sat beside Rainbow Dash and put an arm around her shoulders. “You really think ah could say that to mah best gal?”

“…no, I guess not.” Rainbow Dash said, a small smile reaching her lips. Feeling Applejack’s body against hers filled her with warmth and made her feel… almost happy.

“Ah support your decision, Rainbow Dash.” Applejack said, “No matter what anypony says, Ah’ll stand by y’all to the bitter end.”

Rainbow Dash smiled and let a few more tears fall from her eyes.

“And so will everypony else.” Applejack added. “Well, Rarity’s a little iffy, but she’ll be there fer ya. Everypony else had no trouble accepting you fer who you are.”

“But… the crowd… what they said…” Rainbow Dash whimpered, remembering the hurtful things the crowd was shouting out.

“Ah, don’t listen to ‘em, sugarcube.” Applejack said. “They just don’t have friends like you. Friends who aren’t afraid to show their true colors.”

“But, I WAS afraid.” Rainbow Dash choked out, “I was gonna keep that secret as long as I lived.”

“Ah told ya, girl. Ya’ll shoulda just told me all along.” Applejack said, “Everything will be just fine.”

“Thanks, Applejack.” Rainbow Dash said.

“No problem, Dash.” Applejack. “Now, what say we get your stuff back to your home and call it a night? Want me to stay the night?”

“That would be great, Applejack.” Rainbow Dash said. She laughed and wiped the last of her tears away. She stood beside Applejack and looked over at the orange pony. “Hey, Applejack…”

“Yea, bud?” Applejack replied.

Rainbow Dash hesitated, then smiled and shook her head, “Nothing.”