• Published 22nd Dec 2015
  • 3,895 Views, 38 Comments

Equestria Girls: A Christmas Carol - RNBW



On the night of December 24, Principal Abacus Cinch is confronted by the Spirits of Past, Present, and Future of Christmas.

  • ...
6
 38
 3,895

Stave 2 - Ghost of the Past

When Abacus Cinch awoke, it was dark. She felt rested though, as if she had slept through the night. A good night's rest in fact. She could put all these strange thoughts behind her, yet she could not. The ghost was a dream?

Chrysalis's Ghost bothered her exceedingly. Cinch thought and thought it over and over, and could make nothing of it. The more she thought, the more perplexed she was.

Cinch glanced at her clock and saw that it was exactly midnight.

'Midnight?' Cinch thought to herself. 'But it must morning already,'

The bell of Canterlot City's church tolled a deep, dull, hollow, melancholy One, drawing her attention from her thoughts.

Suddenly, the curtains the window were drawn and a light came through it, flashing up the entire room and catching her off guard. As the sounds of the bell ceased, all the light gathered as if by magic, forming an floating orb in front of her.

Cinch's eyes widened as the orb of light began to take the form of a human.

There before her was a sixteen years old girl with cream yellow skin, cyan eyes and long pink hair, and she was clad in a white dress gown with a floral crown on her head. The expression of her face was full of patience, understanding and kindness.

"A-Are you the spirit w-whose coming was f-foretold to me," Cinch nervously asked. At the same time, she couldn't help but think that the spirit bears a close resemblance to a student from Canterlot High.

"Yes," the spirit replied in a soft and gentle voice. "I am the Ghost of Christmas Past."

"Long past?" Cinch inquired. "From the origins of the holiday?"

The spirit gently shook her head. "No, your past."

"For what purpose has brought you to me, Spirit?"

"Your welfare," Past said with a soft smile as she flew toward the window and opened it with her magic.

With hesitation, Cinch followed the ghost to the window. Once there, Past reached out her hand to her.

Cinch raised an eyebrown in confusion. "Umm..."

"With a touch of my hand, you will able to fly," the spirit explained.

"Oh, okay," Cinch said in realization and took her hand into hers.

At that moment, the spirit flew throught the window taking Cinch with her while the principal watched in awe. As the spirit and Cinch flew towards the sky, a bright light approached from the horizon beyond the mountains.

"What? But everything was dark," Cinch pointed out and turned to look at the spirit. "What is that light?"

"It's the past," Past replied, not looking at Cinch.

The light became bigger and bigger than before, and soon they were enveloped by the bright light.


When she opened her eyes, Cinch found herself in a city with Past beside her in a cloudly, cold, winter day. The city wasn't Canterlot since the buildings were different, also those buildings looked as if they were from 30 years ago.

Cinch felt a sense of familiarity as she looked around the city.

"Wait a moment..." Cinch muttered and began to put two and two together.

"Vanhoover, isn't it?" the ghost finished for her.

"Yes, I remember," Cinch lips quivered. "This is my teenagehood,"

"Your lip is trembling," Past pointed out, looking at her. "And what is that on your face?"

"It's just a pimple," Cinch replied in an unusual soft tone.

The ghost only gave her a soft smile.

"You recolect the way?" Past inquired as she played with her hair.

"I could walk the streets blindfolded," Cinch replied, smiling for the first time on this day.

"I see..." The ghost said with nod as they began their trek across the city of Vanhoover.

Cinch recognised every building, every posts, and every trees. The people of the city were in great spirits and the snowy streets were so full of merry music, that the crisp air laughed to hear it.

Cinch turned to look at the spirit. "Spirit, why they can't see us?"

"They are shadows of the things that have been," the ghost explained. "They have no consciousness of us."

The principal knew and named every single person. But why was she so happy to see them? Why did her eyes glistened and her heart leap up? Why was she filled with utter gladness when she heard the people give each other Merry Christmas?

Most important, what good had Christmas ever done to Abacus Cinch?

Past and Cinch walked towards the entrance of a building of dull red brick with a weathercock surmounted cupola on the roof and a bell hanging on it.

"The school is not deserted," Past said and let out a soft sigh. "A solitary child, neglected by her friends, is still there."

"I know..." Cinch muttered as her eyes began to water.

The two entered the building and walked throught the halls of the school. They came across to a door which it opened before them, revealing a long, gloomy and melancholy room. Inside the room, there were many desks and at the end of the room there was a black chalkboard.

In one of the desks, a ten years old lonely girl was reading a book. The girl was wearing a school uniform and had light cyan skin, pink eyes and magenta hair. She was none other than Abacus Cinch in her childhood years.

"Poor girl," Cinch said in pity for her former self.

Young Cinch sobbed and looked at the window, watching the other kids playing in the snow while others were going home for christmas.

"I wish," Cinch muttered. "But is too late."

Past turned to look at Cinch. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing," Cinch replied with a shook of her head. "Last night three girls were singing a Christmas Carol at my door. I should have given them something. That's all."

The spirit smiled thoughtfully at this.

"Let's see another Christmas," Past said as she waved her hand.

Using her magic, Past changed the environment. The room was still the same, but Cinch's younger self now had the appearance of a sixteen years old girl and was wearing another school uniform.

Young Cinch was sitting on the same desk and reading a book with an melancholy expression.

"Sister!" a boy's voice came from the door.

Both Cinchs turned to look at the source of the voice. Old Cinch's eyes widened.

Standing at the door, there was boy of about eight years old with the same skin as Cinch, only that his hair was dark purple instead of magenta and had blue eyes.

"Gewitzt," Old Cinch whispered in shock.

The boy ran towards Young Cinch and wrapped his little arms around her neck. Cinch teenage self returned the hug.

Young Cinch smiled softly down at him. "Gewitzt, what are you doing here?"

"To bring you home, Cinch," Gewitzt replied with brimful of glee.

"Home, little Gewitzt?" Young Cinch inquired as lifted him on her lap.

Gewitzt nodded in reply. "Yes. Daddy is so much kinder than he used to be and he misses you."

Young Cinch bit her lip. "A-Are you sure, Gewitzt? Because when I asked Dad for money to buy some presents for Christmas, he got so cross. I just wanted a merry christmas for you and Mom."

"Daddy's much better now," Gewitzt said with a soft smile. "He promised he won't hurt you and me and Mommy anymore."

"I cannot think of a finer gift," Young Cinch said while giving him a warm smile and she stoked his hair. "You are quite a man, little Gewitzt."

Gewitzt pulled Cinch into another hug, which she returned. Cinch gently took his hands into hers and both walked out of the room.

"A delicate creature," Past said with a motherly smile. "He had a large heart."

"I cannot deny that, Spirit," Cinch somberly said. "He was already an angel before his death."

The face of the spirit saddened a little. "He died young on Christmas."

"And now, Sunny Flare is... The only family... I still have," Cinch said as she closed her eyes, letting the tears roll over her face. "If Gewitzt were alive when she was born, he would be... Happy."

Past placed a hand on her shoulder. "Come, there's more."

As Past spoke, the scenary changed. The two found themselves in a hospital room where there was Gewitzt lying in a bed with his eyes closed presided by a doctor.

Cinch immediately recognized the memory. "Oh, no..."

The door pushed open, revealing Young Cinch. She went towards the bedside of his brother and sat down on a chair. His breath was weak and his eyes opened as his head turned towards the visitor.

Young Cinch gently grasped his hand with the two of hers.

"I'm here, Gewitzt," she softly said. "Cinch is here."

"Cinch..." Gewitzt said in a feeble tone.

"Yes?"

"P-Promise me..."

"Yes? I-I'll do anything for you. Anything..."

"Promise me... If you have any offsprings... Gave him or her the same love you gave me..."

And then, his strength failed him, his eyes closed and his lips went silent.

"No..." Young Cinch muttered. Tears started to roll over her face. "No!"

Full of sorrow, Young Cinch stormed out of the room in anguish without looking back while the doctor looked the scene in sadness.

Present Cinch could no longer bear it and breakdown in tears as the spirit watched with a sad look.

"Forgive me, Gewitzt! Forgive me!" Cinch cried as she kneeled down. "I broke your promise!"

The memory faded away and darkness enveloped him and the Spirit once again.

"Spirit, remove me from this place," Cinch said in a broken tone. "I don't want to see more."

"I told you these were shadows of the things that have been," Past said with the same sad look. "Do not blame me, they are what they are."

Then the spirit closed her eyes and the darkness and the ghost faded away without any trace.

Cinch looked up and saw that she was back in her bedroom. Rubbing her bloodshot eyes, she crawled into her bed before the tiredness overcame her, and the moment her head touched her pillow, she fell asleep.