• Published 13th Nov 2015
  • 913 Views, 46 Comments

The Best Time of Our Lives - ThisIsMyFateNow



Vinyl Scratch and Octavia Melody weren't always the best of friends.

  • ...
3
 46
 913

Chapter 4 - A New Beginning

Author's Note:

So... I had to change a few things in the previous chapters for this story to go forward. So, yeah... chances are you'll be able to figure it out when reading this one.

Also, thank you Creesty for being my editor for this chapter!

Glancing around, Vinyl notes how much the school had transformed for Homecoming Week. For a school that didn’t even have a hoofball team, everyone was really getting into the celebration. Mentally shrugging, she continues on toward her next stop, the music room dedicated to members of the band. Not to be confused with the Orchestral Room mind you. Walking through the door, she trots over to the school’s grand piano and slips her staff notebook out of her saddlebag, setting it and a pencil on the bench before taking her seat.

Hooves poised over the keys, she starts at the beginning of the piece she’s working on. Starting softly, she closes her eyes, music already committed to memory, hooves gently building up a sweet and soft melody, crescendoing up to a brief bridge, letting the music flow through her. With the enchanting melody echoing from the back of the room, she lets it carry her away past the point of written music into the uncharted unknown. Even as she plunges forth, Vinyl is able to accurately recall all that she’s played, a discerning ear twitching slightly as she misses a key and hits the sharp. Grimacing, she continues to play, visualising what she’ll be writing shortly.

As this variant comes to an end, she is shaken from her revery by the sound of hooves clapping together. Eyes flying open in surprise, she sees Lyra and a beige coated mare with a pink streaked blue mane and tail applauding her performance. Blushing at the unexpected praise, she waves the two over.

“Vinyl this is my fillyfriend, Bon Bon. She’s here in the culinary program!” Lyra exclaims, motioning to the other mare.

Grinning, Vinyl levitates her notebook and pens out “It’s very nice to meet you!”

“And you as well,” Bon Bon says, extending a hoof which Vinyl bumps in return, “Lyra has told me so much about you.”

Continuing to blush, she writes out “Any friend of Lyra is a friend of mine.”

“Any plans for the big homecoming party?” Lyra asks, looking between Vinyl and Bon Bon.

Shaking her head, the white unicorn scratches out “Just working.”

“You know you never told me where you work, only that it’s after school and on weekends,” the mint musician muses out loud.

Grinning, Vinyl holds the notebook up with only one word on it, “Trot.”. With a giggle she watches as the other two mare’s jaws hit the floor.

“How did you manage that?!?!” they both exclaim.

“I was asked to work there by Fire Hooves himself.”

Since they are staring in disbelief, Vinyl sighs and motions the two closer as she scribbles another note out “Can you two keep a secret?”

Nodding in a stunned fashion, the other two don’t think anything could top the fact that Vinyl managed to score a job at the hottest club in Caterlot.

Drawing a nervous breath she jots out “I’m not actually mute either.”

“WHAT?!?!” they both scream at her. Reeling back from the sudden force of the combined voice, she holds up a hoof to forestall any further outbursts.

“Let me explain. First, I have a hard time talking in super stressful situations, so I choose not to. And let’s be honest, my first interactions at this school ratcheted my stress through the roof. So now, I find it easier to continue to write instead of talking. However, I can talk at work because that’s just fun for me and not remotely stressful.”

Lyra and Bon Bon nod as they process this and a few things click. Lyra’s eyes shoot open as she realizes who the white mare is better known as. As she opens her mouth, Vinyl quickly puts a hoof over it, silencing her with a blank stare.

Still slightly confused, Bon Bon looks between the two before turning back to Lyra. “What is she talking about?”

“Imagine Vinyl without the ponytail and purple shades instead of her regular glasses…”

Gasping in shock and recognition, Bon Bon stutters “You… you’re… are you really?”

Grinning, Vinyl nods. “Now, you both know who I am. Can I trust you to keep all of this a secret?”

Still stunned at the revelations, Bon Bon nods, but Lyra asks “Why tell us this?”

Sitting back, Vinyl gives Lyra a warm smile and take a few moments to write “You were the first pony to welcome me and treat me like I belong here. Only with that support have I been able to be myself and not a what others want me to be. I have to do that for work. My stage persona is only a very small part of who I am. You are the first real friend I’ve had in a very long time.”

Sheepishly, Lyra blushes as the compliment rolls over her. Leaning forward she gives Vinyl a warm hug and whispers “I’m glad you’re my friend.” before roping Bon Bon in to the impromptu group hug.

Giggling, all three sit back. “Since I’m making my debut tonight and Trot is opening their doors to all High School students in Canterlot for this week only, how would you two like to attend as my guests? I can get you in with no cover and past the inevitable line,” Vinyl offers.

~~~

“Fillies and Gentlecolts, you’ve heard the news and now without further ado, making her first appearance as the House DJ, I give you DJ-PON3!”

Trotting out to thunderous applause, the legendary DJ flashes her trademark grin, lights reflecting back off of her shades. “You ponies ready to bring the roof down?!?!” she shouts as her magic envelops the needle of one of the turntables.

“In honor of this first night, we’re going to be kicking it old school.” With that, the needle drops onto the record. For a moment, no pony dares to breath before the sudden roll of the snare drum hits everypony with its intensity. As the beat picks up and the bass floods in, the house goes crazy.

Drawing energy from the crowd, Vinyl grins as she levitates the next album on to the other turntable, listening as she adjusts the speed to match the tempo of the first album. With the beat matched, she slams the audio down on the first track as the second track takes hold and flings everypony into a frenzy.

With the energy flowing in tune to the music, Vinyl rides the rush from song to song, lulling the club when needed and bringing them back up with a crazed intensity. As the energy ebbs and flows, she drives the music and keeps everypony on their hooves and dancing. Song after song blasts at them at a fevered intensity only to back off shortly after.

With more than three hours past, she slows the music down, letting the ponies catch their breath as she motions to the the emcee. Nodding at her, he envelops the mic with his magic and brings it up to his muzzle. “Let’s give it up for the amazing DJ-PON3!!!! We’re going to take a short break while we switch up DJs. Those who have VIP access head on toward that big, burly earth pony and you all will be able to meet with her for a bit before she goes to sign autographs. Up next is our DJ in waiting, Bass Note!”

Trotting back to the VIP room, she snags a bottle of cold water, drinking half of it in one go. Letting out a sigh of relief from her parched predicament, she heads over to a seat and waits for the few people who purchased the VIP package to come meet her.

As the sound of approaching hooves grows louder, she smiles at nothing in particular, waiting for the door to open.

With a stout knock, the door opens quietly as five ponies are ushered in, most with stars in their eyes at meeting a modern musical legend. Getting to her hooves, she saunters over and extends a hoof to the assembled ponies. “Well, I guess you all know who I am. So, what do you want to know?”

All at once a small cacophony erupts as the five VIPs clamor for her attention. “Hold on everypony, let’s do this one at a time and let me lay out a few things. You are here to basically hang out with me before I’m mobbed by the rest of the club. So, let’s all relax and take a breath. I’m not going anywhere and for the next 30 minutes, neither are you. There’s time to get to know you all and enjoy ourselves.”

As the VIPs work their way over to their seats, Vinyl levitates some bottles of water for anypony that might be thirsty. Snagging another for herself, she sits on her chair and looks to the group. Looking to her left, she points to the first pony and asks “So, what do you want to know?” With the discussion well underway, Vinyl sits back and tries to enjoy those few moments of relaxation before she has to head out and meet the rest of the club.