• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 1,327 Views, 75 Comments

A Look Back - Bluecatcinema

  • ...
4
 75
 1,327

Married To The Mob

Over at Grimoire Napoleon's manor, on the outskirts of the Everfree Forest, the Napoleons wives had gathered for a special, yearly event. Officially, it was the anniversary of Daring's marriage to Caboose, but it was also a celebration of the day the Napoleon brothers had brought their mares on their first dates. Every year, they gathered on this day to reminisce and recall past times. Though Octavia hadn't been around for that day, she had been invited by Vinyl, on the grounds that she was the wife of a Napoleon, just like the rest of them.

"Well." May declared. "Another year has passed."

"Yep." Redheart nodded. "And what a year it was."

"Amen to that." Berry Punch grinned. "Whole bunch a' crazy stuff went down, didn't it?"

"Almost like the old days." Lyra noted.

"Don't remind me." Bon-Bon frowned. "Back then, it was like Equestria was in peril every other week."

"Yeah, things were pretty wild back then." Vinyl agreed. "Good times..."

"They were... lively days, I'll admit..." Octavia shrugged.

"Yep, just the way I liked 'em." Daring nodded. "'Course, I was a lot younger back then."

"Oh, pish-posh." May grinned. "You've barely aged at all. I'm actually a little jealous..."

Zecora came into the room, carrying a tray of herbal tea.

"Some herbal tea, for you and me." She smiled.

"Thanks, 'Cora." Berry took her cup.

"And thanks for hosting the get-together this year." Lyra added. "I know you've been busy with the new foal and everything..."

"It is no troublesome thing." Zecora declared. "I simply asked Grim to do some foalsitting."

"And I asked Salt to look after our little lady." Redheart revealed.

"Bet you'll get Murray to do that next year, huh?" Berry asked Bon-Bon.

"I doubt I'll have to try too hard." Bon-Bon chuckled. "Sonny can't wait to be a dad. He's been buying all sorts of toys and looking up the best recipes for foal food for months now."

"It won't be long before that little guy or gal comes out, huh?" Lyra beamed.

"No, it won't." Bon-Bon nodded. "And I can't wait to meet him or her either."

"What about you, May?" Redheart asked. "I know you're not quite as far along as Bon-Bon, but you must be pretty excited too."

"More than you can imagine." May smiled. "The whole reason I wanted to get out of politics was so I could raise a family with Murray."

"And how's he feeling about all this?" Vinyl asked.

"He's a little nervous." May admitted. "But he's really onboard with being a dad."

"Well, we'll see." Redheart declared. "You never know quite how fatherhood will change a stallion. Look at Salt. He was so adamant about wanting a colt that I was worried having a filly would end up causing him to resent our child. But I was wrong. He absolutely adores little Lightning."

"Who wouldn't?" Berry chuckled.

"Trouble is, he adores her a little too much." Redheart remarked. "He's always playing with her, trying to get her to one day pursue a career in boxing... Sometimes, I barely even get to hold her myself!"

"Well, well." Octavia smirked. "Who knew that big, tough stallion could be such a softie? Reminds me of Slot, actually..."

"Speaking of which, what's the plan if you three ever decide to have a kid?" Daring asked. "Who'd be the birth mother?"

"We're not really looking to have kids at the moment." Vinyl shrugged. "And if we ever do... we'll just figure that out when the time comes."

"Or, has Slot quoted, 'whichever sticks'." Octavia mused.

"Suit yourselves." Lyra shrugged.

"Any foal of yours would be blessed twice, to have two mothers so nice." Zecora declared.

"Thanks, 'Cora." Octavia smiled.

"My pleasure." Zecora grinned. "I'm sure you would give any foal love beyond measure."

"Someday, maybe..." Vinyl shrugged. "But today, we just relax, and chat about old times."

"Hear, hear." Berry raised her cup.

"Boy, just look at us." Bon-Bon smiled. "We've all been through so much together."

"Yep." Berry nodded. "And to think, none of that would've happened if Daring hadn't decided to drop by Ponyville to prepare for her wedding to Caboose."

"If it weren't for that, the boys wouldn't have come to town." May remarked. "And they wouldn't have asked us all to be their dates to the wedding."

"And everything that happened afterward wouldn't have happened at all." Redheart remarked. "We wouldn't have started dating the boys, married them, started families, and everything inbetween..."

"And what a tragedy that would be." Zecora smiled. "To not have so much to experience, so much to see..."

"It's been quite a ride, alright." May agreed. "Remember the day we found out they were all part of the mafia?"

"Boy, do I." Bon-Bon nodded. "That was a real shocker."

"Yeah, no kidding." Lyra snorted. "Up until then, I thought Lars was just this sweet, bookish stallion. I never imagined he would turn out to be a hardened criminal."

"None of us saw it coming." Redheart admitted.

"I was so angry at Slot for keeping that from me." Vinyl recalled.

"I was quite enraged at Grim." Zecora admitted. "I believed I would never forgive him!"

"We were all pretty cheesed off." Berry agreed. "If it hadn't been for Daring talking us down, we'd have probably ended things with them right then and there."

"Just one more we owe you, Daring." May grinned.

"Well, I couldn't just stand there and let you guys throw away everything you had with them." Daring said humbly. "I went through the same thing with Caboose, and I knew that deep down, the brothers were all good ponies."

"And you were right." Vinyl agreed. "You convinced us all not to make the biggest mistake of our lives."

"And not long after that came that whole... 'Red Eclipse' business." Redheart said distastefully.

"Now that was a horrible experience." Bon-Bon cringed. "That creepy little stallion and his thugs trying to kill us..."

"Equestria, on the verge of downfall." Zecora said darkly. "With a maniac out to rule it all."

"Not to mention our loving partners locked us up in that secret bunker of theirs." Berry added. "I don't know about you gals, but I'm still a little bit sore about that."

"Personally, I got over it pretty quick." Lyra shrugged.

"And what of the aftermath?" May asked. "The boys all revealed themselves and their criminal activities to the world."

"That made things a little harder." Bon-Bon mused. "Most ponies acknowledged their role in saving Equestria, but more than a few held their profession against them."

"And they didn't think much of us being with them." Redheart added. "One of my co-workers at the hospital was quite vocal about it. Thankfully, he was in the minority. Eventually, he was transferred, so I didn't have to worry about him anymore..." She then frowned, "Although I think Salt might have had a hoof in that... I did hear that my former co-worker had a few broken ribs when he left..."

"I faced my share of detractors, too." May noted. "Some were even calling for me to be thrown out of office. Fortunately, saner minds prevailed, and I remained Mayor until I decided otherwise."

"Those were trying times, alright." Lyra declared. "I was already considered odd amongst most ponies for my fascination with humans. The revelation that I was dating a gangster just gave them something new to mock me for."

"Those rotten buckers." Bon-Bon snarled uncharacteristically.

"I feel you, sister." Vinyl declared. "I lost more than a couple of fans over that little announcement."

"And I did get word from the publishers that sales of my book went down a little after that..." Daring recalled.

"I am no strangers to whispers and insults from near." Zecora declared. "I received the same when I first arrived here."

"Eh, I just ignored it." Berry shrugged. "It didn't matter to me what some small-minded busybodies thought. As long as I had Vinny, everything was just fine."

"Good for you." Bon-Bon snorted. "It wasn't so easy for the rest of us to ignore those insults. Lucky for me, I had Sonny to cuddle the pain away..."

"That must have been rough for all of you." Octavia declared.

"It was. But, ignore them or not, eventually, those insults faded." May declared. "The revelation of the Napoleons' true activities became old news, to be replaced by some new scandal."

"Not fast enough, if you ask me." Lyra frowned.

"But at least went back to normal." Bon-Bon smiled.

"Better, actually." Redheart grinned. "Our stallions decided to go their separate ways, give the mafia life a little less focus, and spend more time with us."

"And how wonderful that was." May sighed. "Seeing Murray every day was incredible."

"Sonny took me to Canterlot, and we achieved our mutual dream of opening up a restaurant..." Bon-Bon declared.

"Don't forget about me and Lars." Lyra smiled. "Lars got to teach at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorn, and I could devote more time to my own studies."

"And Vinny and me moved into this huge-flank house." Berry grinned. "Pretty swanky, huh? And Vinny went into business with that Blue Blazes kid. Now I'm the wife of a bar owner! It's like a dream come true..."

"Not to mention Grimoire had a new mansion made." Zecora added. "Close to where I had once stayed."

"So we all landed on your hooves." Daring declared. "Not many mares can say that."

"But things didn't exactly stay 'normal' for long." May recalled. "More changes and exciting experiences soon came our way. My final, reluctant run as Mayor, for instance. Murray wasn't happy when I told him I wanted to drop out and start a family..." She smiled. "My, how things change..."

"And there was Salt's return to the boxing ring." Redheart scowled. "I was so angry at him about fighting with a damaged hoof, and putting his own glory about everything. I almost felt like he wouldn't make it to see Lightning's birth, but he did it, proving what really matters to him..."

"I had to deal with Sonny suddenly becoming cold, and distant." Bon-Bon frowned, recalling Sonny's recent struggles with his own sexuality. "I felt like I was losing him, until I learned it was actually because of an old 'friend' of his rolling into town. But it all worked out in the end, though, after I introduced that 'friend' to my hoof..."

"Okay..." Lyra cringed. "Well, Lars had this big court case. Things got pretty rough for him, but I stood by him like a loving wife should, and he made the right call, ensuring one less crook is out on the streets of Canterlot."

"You think that's something?" Berry snorted. "Vinny and me had to deal with these snooty neighbours trying to drive us out of Canterlot. Now that was rough."

"Sure sounds like it." Daring frowned. "Take it from me, there's nothing worse than bad neighbours. I once camped out over in Saddle Arabia. The stallions in the tent next to me were so loud and annoying... Took every ounce of restrain I had not to go over there and knock 'em both out..."

"So, how did you and Vinny work things out with the neighbours?" Redheart asked.

"Oh, Vinny managed to... persuade them to let things go." Berry smirked. "He has quite a way with words, you know. Especially the written variety..."

The mares were a tad confused, not in on Berry's joke.

"Well, I've probably got you guys beat." Vinyl chuckled. "My best friend became my co-wife."

"I must admit, I never saw things turning out this way when I ran into Vinyl and Slot that night." Octavia declared. "Not that I'm complaining, mind you..."

"Well, my experiences this year weren't quite as... interesting as yours." Daring smiled. "I met a new friend, Dove, and supported Caboose when that new Captain, Fletcher, joined the Guard. It was a little rough at times, what with Fletcher being the fiance of Dove. Made for some awkward moments, I can tell you that..."

"I'll bet." Lyra snorted.

"Then there was the clash between my sister and my mister." Zecora recalled. "I feared Zaria and Grim would never along. Fortunately, I turned out to be wrong."

"And me and Vinny finally tying the knot." Berry declared. "What a wonderful day that was."

"It really was..." May sighed.

The mares all agreed, unaware of how close Vinny had come to running out on the ceremony. If not for the intervention of his brothers, Berry would very possibly not even be with him anymore.

"And of course, there's the most harrowing experience of all." Zecora announced. "Killsquad's attack, and Grim's almost fall." She sighed deeply. "And the illness with which he was stricken, of which he did not tell me, the big chicken."

"And that psycho Killsquad." Daring snarled. "Who'd have thought one stallion with a grudge could cause so much damage?"

"Tell me about it." May shuddered. "It really felt like everything was unraveling. That it was all over."

"But once again, we pulled through." Redheart smiled.

"With a little help from some friends." Berry grinned.

"One of whom had very lofty connections." Bon-Bon declared, thinking of Discord, and how the favor he owed the Napoleons led to Isis, the Serpent Deity of Life, restoring Grimoire from near-death.

"My Grim was brought back to me, once again completely healthy." Zecora smiled. "And with Arkham, our new sweetie, we could be a happy family."

"But aren't we all family, though?" Bon-Bon asked. "Even if it's just sisters-in-law, we all bear the Napoleon name now."

"So true." May nodded. "And I couldn't wish for a better family than all of you."

"You said it." Berry grinned.

"Some of us were already friends." Bon-Bon glanced at Lyra. "But now, there's an even greater bond between us."

"Yeah." Lyra nodded. "The bond of familial love."

"I really do love you guys." Vinyl admitted.

"Me too." Octavia added. "I know I haven't been a part of the family that long, but that's just the way I feel."

"What does time have to do with it?" Daring joked. "I've been a Napoleon longer than any of you, but you don't hear me lording it over the Joanie-come-latelys, do you?"

"Exactly." Redheart nodded. "Regardless of time, we're all Napoleons. We're all family."

"That is so very true." Zecora nodded. "And I love spending time with all of you."

"How about a toast?" May raised her cup. "To one amazing year, and many more to come!"

"Cheers!" The mare all clinked their cups together.

At that point, the brothers came into the room, most of them seeking to escort their mares home.

"Hey, 'Cora." Grimoire smiled, carrying Arkham. "Guess who missed mommy?"

"Muh!" Arkham reached for Zecora.

"Oh, I missed you too, my cute little boo." Zecora cuddled her son.

"Arkham wasn't the only one." Salt declared, holding Lightning.

"Mama!" Lightning squeaked.

"Come here, sweetie." Redheart embraced her daughter.

"So, do you girls have a fun time?" Lars asked.

"Always." Lyra nodded, as Lars embraced her.

"Hope you didn't bring up anything... too sensitive?" Sonny asked, fearing that Bon-Bon might have mention something he'd rather she didn't.

"Of course not." Bon-Bon kissed him.

"Boy, I missed you." Vinny snuggled against Berry. "What say tonight we break out the elderberry schnapps, and have some fun?"

"You read my mind." Berry chuckled.

"Hello, ladies." Slot smirked at his two wives. "Miss me?"

"You know we did." Vinyl chuckled.

"A trio's better than a duo, I always say." Octavia declared.

"Ain't that the truth." Slot embraced both of them.

"We'd better hurry back." Caboose told Daring. "I've got a special anniversary surprise waiting for you back home."

"Ooh, really?" Daring smiled. "More special than last year, when you had the Royal Guard spell my name in the sky with magic fireworks?"

"Way more special." Caboose boasted. "Trust me, you won't believe your eyes."

"Well in that case, we'd better get moving." Daring declared, she and Caboose rushing out of the room. "See ya, guys!"

"We oughta be going, too." Bon-Bon declared.

"Don't wanna miss the train to Canterlot." Lyra added.

"And wait another half hour." Lars frowned.

"Bye, guys." Sonny smiled.

"See you all soon." Berry told the Ponyville-based mares.

"Real soon!" Vinny beamed.

"We'd better be headed home ourselves." Redheart told Salt. "We'll need to put this little rascal to bed soon."

"A future champ like this doesn't need sleep." Salt declared. "She's a machine, just like her dad!"

"Salt..." Redheart frowned.

"Okay, fine." Salt gave in. "We'll put her to bed."

"Ding-ding!" Lightning giggled. "Knockout!"

"Really wishing I hadn't taught her those words right now..." Salt pouted.

"Come on..." Redheart nudged her sullen husband away.

"We'd better get to bed too, if you know what I mean..." Slot told his wives.

"And we do." Vinyl chuckled.

"Lead the way, stud..." Octavia grinned.

Murray and May were the last to leave.

"The little fella didn't cause any trouble while I was away, right?" Murray asked.

"Of course not." May chuckled. "Trust me, this foal won't be coming out just yet."

"Not without me there to see it, I hope..." Murray smiled.

After Murray and May left, it was just Grimoire, Zecora and Arkham.

"So, did you mares have a good time?" Grimoire asked.

"We always do." Zecora grinned. "And Grim... thank you."

"And... what exactly are you thinking me for?" Grimoire asked.

"For entering my life, and also making me your wife." Zecora declared. "When you married me, you brought me into such a large family. All my sisters-in-law are so wonderful, and to spend time with them is so pleasurable."

"My thoughts exactly." Grimoire smiled. "This family of ours is just the greatest, isn't it?"

"That is so true." Zecora beamed. "And once again, thank you."

"You're welcome." Grimoire chuckled, gently stroking Arkham's mane. "Now, let's get this little guy off to bed. Then have a little get-together of our own."

"With pleasure." Zecora sighed. "For I love you without measure."

"Me too, 'Cora." Grimoire kissed her. "Me too."

It was a special day for all the mares. Being together always made their day, and being related was the icing on the cake. They knew they could always count on each other to listen to listen to each others' stories, or lend support. And they would continue coming together on that day for many years to come, as an annual celebration of the day that lead to them all becoming family.

Author's Note:

Behind The Scenes...

* "From Ponyville With Love." started out as a little pairing game Ebony had come up with when he was bored. He paired the Napoleon brothers with mares from Ponyville, based mostly on their past-times and personalities. Well, it wasn't long before we decided to make that game a reality, leading to the big story.

* (Ebony Stallion) Ah, this one was particularly a enjoyable one for me. While it felt a bit rushed in parts, especially the Grimm and Zecora pairing, I had a ton of fun doin' this.

* (Ebony Stallion) The name of the story is from the movie title From Paris With Love. However, the story was inspired by Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, a 1954 film with Howard Keel about how seven brothers came and took seven girls, after their eldest brother got married to a girl he just met. It's kinda backwards, given Caboose is the youngest.

* (Ebony Stallion) Originally, Salt was intended to be shipped with Colgate/Minuette, since boxers do tend to lose teeth a lot. But at the time of writing this story, I was really into Nurse Redheart, so we went with her instead. That scene where Salt saved her from those thugs is actually based off a scene from The Expendables, where Jason Statham's character 'Lee Christmas' took down a bunch of punks on a basketball court. Hence why Salt is voiced by Jason Statham.

* (Ebony Stallion) The pairing of Grimoire and Zecora was actually something that I thought up half way through the story. We hadn't paired her off, and I figure she would be perfect for Grimm. Also, this was before I had figured out Grimoire and his first wife Sandy's whole story, so that part with remembering Sandy smiling in her wedding dress might not make sense since their wedding was a reverse shotgun wedding in "The Napoleons", with Sandy being forced to marry Grimoire, and loathing him for it.

* In the early stages, it was planned to have the brothers meet their mares all on the same day. This seemed a little unlikely, so we changed it later on.

* It was Ebony's idea to have the Mane Six make appearances in the story. I hadn't used them for a while, so I was all for it.

* The Napoleon family members mentioned in "The Big Day Arrives" (Hannibal, Jigsaw, and John "Seven" Doe) are references to Silence of The Lambs, Saw, and Se7en.

* (Ebony Stallion) The song 'Journey' was chosen out of respect for The Sopranos, who in the final scene of the final episode, had this song playing. The Sopranos is about mafia, and the Napoleons are mafia.

* With "Sleight The Mystifying And Extraordinary" lined up after "From Ponyville With Love", we put in a little cliffhanger scene at the end, leading into that story. Note that this takes place towards the end of the abovementioned story.

* (Ebony Stallion) If you pay close attention to certain details in Vinny and Grimoire's chapters, you will notice references to Anarchy. I'm sure you will notice them. Remember, Anarchy's small name is 'Archie'.

* (Ebony Stallion) Furthermore, Caboose's remark about 'the list' and 'referencing the show that was cancelled too soon' in the second chapter was a reference to My Name Is Earl, which was cancelled on a cliffhanger that pissed me the (BLEEP!) off. Caboose would also go on to reference other shows like Footloose, Kung Fu Panda (and Freakazoid) and The Muppets. For those who don't get the last one, here's a hint: what do Muppets do when panicking?