• Published 28th Oct 2015
  • 1,020 Views, 25 Comments

Angel by your side - H550



I was born of the fire and flames, so have you. Good.

  • ...
3
 25
 1,020

Light in the dark

It was dark.

Fallen Beacon sighed as she looked around.

Her Royal Guard enchanted gold armor, even though protecting her from dangers posed by enemies, was not built with scenarios like this cold in mind.

The Crystal Caverns were dark, cold and ever so dangerous. Well the dark wasn't dangerous, just the things in the dark. A long glance around revealed nothing but crystals, crystals and even more crystals.

Beacon looked around and muttered, "Damn changlings, why do you always take up nests in the nicest of places."

The only sound was that of her armored feet tapping against the ground and the shift of her wings on her ultra dense, ultralight gold armor.

"Go here and kill things with your squad," she imitated her captain, Shining Armor's, voice, "doesn't mention the fact that the tunnels are a Celestia damned MAZE!" she shouted the last word and listened to the echo. Due to the branching paths of the cavern, the 6 pony squad split up in order to cover more ground. A choice Beacon was regretting right now.

Beacon fiddled with the sword sheathed at her waist.

"This sword has history," her grandfather had said when he handed it to her, "It has survived many wars. It is said that the wielder of this blade is blessed by a being past our comprehension."

As she recalled those words Beacon muttered, "I don't feel very blessed right about now."

"I wouldn't be so sure" A voice mutters even tough she could not hear.

Beacon marched deeper into the tunnels, hoping to find her objective so the squad could finish up this bug hunt and go out for some hard cider.

Then she heard it, a small clicking of insectoid chitin on crystal. A sound revealing that she had found what she was looking for.

She immediately tightened her grip on her ancient short sword and suppressed a shiver as her eyes darted around, trying to pinpoint the creator of the sound.

The chittering sounded from behind her back. She caught her breath as her heart beat faster.

She spun around and peered into the blackness. Trying to make her eyes pierce the foggy veil.

Wait, fog? It wasn't foggy before.

"Shit!" Beacon cried out as a dark blade swiped her armor, cutting into her side and knocking her down to the hard crystal ground.

A hiss sounded from the darkness, and another, and another, and even more.

Her eyes widened and her wings clutched her sides in fear. The hissed seemed to grow into a roar as they echoed off the crystal. Then she saw their eyes.

Hundreds of sickly green eyes peaking out at her.

She stared praying. To Celestia and Luna, hell, she prayed to Nightmare Moon! Anything to save herself! She was not prepared for this!

She closed her eyes and curled on the cold crystal floor as the eyes and hisses drew nearer.

As she closed her eyes and conceded to her fate, she heard a voice. An old voice. It spoke in a deep, calm voice. It's words echoed throughout the entire cavern.

It said, "When darkness falls, who will light the way, Fallen Beacon? You will. Take my gift."

At those words, she felt a strange burning in her shoulder blades and wings. Then she saw the light through her eyelids. An old, powerful light. It radiated from behind her. She no longer felt weak, or afraid. She felt strong.

She opened her eyes and stood up, her wings flaring.

She looked and saw the light radiating from her much larger wings, almost matching the Celestial sister's wings in span, and oh how they glowed. The holy, golden light emanating from the massive wings pierced the darkness and with a flap, she blew away the fog. The changelings fell away from the light, but Fallen Beacon didn't flinch.

She raised her blade and saw the light start to flow into her right hand. Her blade caught fire and glowed. Maybe she was blessed after all. The changelings hissed and backed away, seemingly in fear.

Fallen Beacon smiled, no longer afraid and walked toward the enemy with strong powerful steps.

As she raised her sword, a smile graced her face as she prepared for combat against her foes.

A lonely observer, dressed in a long tan coat and a simple hat watched from above. He spoke to himself, "A light shineth in the darkness and the Darkness comprehend it not. What will you do with that shining light Beacon? Protect or kill? Bring it to illuminate the shadows or to strike fear in all? It's your choice, make the right one. For your and this world's sake."

He simple waked away as the light cast from Beacon's sword threw his long, winged shadow against the wall.

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoy my experiment in a new style of writing. Tell me what you think and I may add more chapters if it gets interesting. This is NOT a crossover with Supernatural, so the person at the end is not Castiel. Put any thoughts in the comments and I'll try to answer them. Also, the people are anthro ponies, that means hands and feet, pegasi have wings, unicorns have gems on their hands, and they all have snouts.