• Published 2nd Nov 2015
  • 353 Views, 11 Comments

Princess of Peace - Day Shine



the rise of a new enemy requires the birth of a new hero.

  • ...
 11
 353

Birthday Princess

Chapter 3: Birthday Princess

Chapter 3: Birthday Princess

An older pony in a butler suit and jacket walked into the room clearing his throat as he motions with a hoof “presenting; fancy pants of the cantorlot social club”

Fancy walks in toward another group of ponies as to mingle while the butler pony made his way back to introduce the next guest.

“Evening all, how is the party so far?” he greets

A charcoal mane pony in a bow tie answers “it’s fine, though I do believe the celebrations will be better after the young princess is introduced and the festivities begin.”

A few regale ponies begin giving accepting nods toward her statement.

“Pssh! Octavia’s just being polite. What she really wants to say is the party sitting in snooze-Ville but, is about to make a right on to the corner of awesome avenue and kick-it curve.” A white unicorn with a duel blue mane and dark purple shades commented.

Octavia face hooved as many of the more sophisticated ponies began to display opinions of disapproval.

Fancy clears his throat “vinyl scratch was it?” vinyl nods yes with a smile “oh yes, I believe you and Ms. Octavia were rooming together?”

“Yes, she lives with me. We’ve been friends for years and though her abrupt personality I enjoy her company.” Octavia explains in a nervous yet kind manor.

Fancy adjust his monocle “I can see why. I find the opposite nature of your personalities a charming balance.”

Immediately the others around begin to change their opinions as to agree with fancy pants.

“Presenting; commander spitfire and lightning dust of the wonder bolts.”

The two made their way toward the concession stand, rainbow dash trots over asking pinkie for punch. Lightning dust walks to the punch bowl getting two cups and giving one to spitfire as she returns. The two head to the middle of the ball room to mingle as the butler

pony introduces more ponies to the growing crowd.

The butler pony walks in again “presenting; spike, ward of twilight sparkle, princess of friendship.”

“Spike!” twilight calls as she gallops up and hugs him

Spike catches her returning the hug “hey twilight, ah boy I missed you.”

“I missed you too. How was your business in the crystal empire?”

Spike made a dull expression as he performed a talking action with his hand, twilight giggled as she gets him to stop.

She looks up a bit to be eye level with him “wow who knew one growth spurt would make such a difference.” Spike waves it off “spike, you

could rest your chin on my horn with how tall you are. Beside with the new you and all I bet you’ll have a special some-pony sooner or later”

Spike turns blushing “what? It’s true. Relax, enjoy the party.”

“Hey you two” They look over seeing sunset walking up to them “wow, spike, you’ve really grown. Last time I saw you, you were a third this size.”

Spike scratches the back of his neck “Hee, hee thanks sunset.”

The butler pony walks in once again

He stands at the door way “presenting; sweetie belle of the cantorlot school of song and friends applebloom and scootalo.”

The three girls make their way into the ball room amazed by the decorations and fancy ponies

“Hey there kiddo” applejack says grabbing applebloom with a hoof into a hug as she returns it

“Hey applejack how’s granny?”

“She’s fine.”

Rarity walks up to sweetie belle restraining her excitement “hello sweetie belle.” She loses it jerking her sister into a hug “oooh I’ve missed you. How are you doing?”

“Rarity, you’re messing up my mane.” Rarity brushes it off for the moment “I’m supposed to sing as part of the entrainment lineup.” Rarity pauses before gasping and vigorously fixing her sisters mane.

Scootalo looks around feverishly until she spots rainbow dash, within a heartbeat she gallops over calling out to her. Rainbow turns

around to the sound of her name being called to see her favorite former filly all grown up running up to her.

“Hey scootalo, what’s up kid?”

“Rainbow, it’s been so long. Four years, wha- hey! I’m not a kid anymore.”

Rainbow grins bopping her on the shoulder “I know. I’m just teasing.” Rainbow notices the small image on her flank “hey is that your cutie

mark? You said in your letter it was for…dancing right?”

Scootalo looks at her cutie mark “yea. I was so happy when I got it I almost-”

Spitfire and lightning dust walk over as spitfire gains rainbows attention interrupting her and scootalo.

Rainbow gives a look a moment “oh hey you two, this is scootalo. Scootalo this is spitfire and lightning dust. They are the second and third in our wonderbolts team.”

“Hi” she replies

“Hey there.” Lightning dust answers back

Spitfire says nothing as she gives rainbow a dull glare while sipping her punch.

She looks down at her cup with an equally dull look “I’m going to get more punch”

Scootalo waits for her to walk away “what’s her problem?”

Lightning sighs with a hoof on her forehead “ugh! Please don’t get into that right now.”

The lights dim as two spot lights start circling the room before pausing on a throne at the far end. Suddenly a burst of magic engulfs the chair as Celestia, Luna, cadence, and shining armor suddenly teleport in front of it.

“Mares, and gentle colts” Luna proclaims in her cantorlot voice

“We are happy you could join us on this happy occasion” celestia continued “as we officially publicize the latest addition to our royal family.”

Shining starts in “yes, she has been seen out and about before but, tonight is her official introduction”

Cadence chimes in “so please give a warm welcome” shining and cadence together turn to reveal star shine “our daughter, princess star shine.”

Everyone begins clapping their hooves together. As the crowd calms down the sound of what is believed to be clapping continues a moment. Every pony looks over toward the entrance where a large creature with the head and lower body of a snake and the torso and arms of a bear with a line of scales down each arm holding a staff with a crystal orb sitting a three point perch at the top of the staff.

Everyone looks in confusion at the large creature with shining white scales and a matching fur coat as his emerald green eyes look about the room momentarily.

“You can’t be serious” sunset half whispers

“Is-is that princess celestias guest?” twilight inquires indirectly.

The large creature leans down to whisper into the older butler ponies’ ear.

The butler pony perks up “presenting; seppogaar of the Nāga.”

Celestia walks over to greet the new guest “Ahh seppogaar, it’s been awhile.”

“Quite” he replies as he wraps his tail around his staff freeing his hand.

Luna greets him as she catches up to the two of them “hello seppogaar, thou hast changed little since last I saw the.”

“A benefit of nága aging, you on the other hand have changed quite a bit.”

Luna looks to her sister a moment “A side effect of my time as nightmare moon. I was sick for many a day and this be the end result.”

“That’s unfortunate, I’m sorry. In any case it’s good to see you returned to your old self.” He bows in respect to the two sisters as they return the gesture “please forgive my lateness, I found the layout to the city intriguing puzzling.”

“Thou hath gotten lost.” Luna says calling his bluff.

Celestia chuckles “sister, please. Its’ okay seppogaar, how did you like seeing the city again.”

“It was a quaint experience. I rather enjoyed the detoured sight-seeing.” He says with a cheerful tone.

“Well I’m glad you could make it, please, enjoy the evening.”

The two walk away to attend to other patters of the evening, sunset casually strolls up to princess celestia.

“So, who is that exactly?” she inquires somewhat aggressively though unintentionally.

Celestia looks back where Luna and seppogaar continue to speak “Just an old friend.” She looks to her former student who was looking back befuddled “sunset, would you go find a light blue unicorn with a silver mane that goes by the name Trixie and tell her that her performance time is coming up.”

Sunset snaps out of her trance and agrees to the request heading off into the crowds to seek out this unicorn.

As the party goes on and the crowds mingle sweetie belle makes her way to the microphone which sat on a small raised stage, she quietly cleared her throat as the butler pony form before tapped the mic making a small screeching noise that mostly just caught the attention of the room

He clears his own throat before speaking “m-mares and gentle colts, as our first act of the evening’s entertainment line-up *cough* Ms.

Sweetie belle of cantorlots school for song will be preforming a piece of her own personal writing.” He turns to the skittish young mare “Ms. Belle.”

Sweetie belle takes a deep breath as she takes front on stage looking over the crowd catching scootalo and applebloom near the front of the crowd. She lightly bites her lip as stage fright takes hold of her ‘hey if ever you feel the embrace of your stage fright just breath, close your eyes, and sing.’ The advice of her friend scootalo rings in her memory as she notices the lights fade away apart form a lone spot light centered on her. She looks about the room once more, than to star and her parents, and finally her friends smiling for her.

In the crowd rarity could tell the silence was quickly heading toward a point of worry when she noticed her sister take a deep breath caught by the microphone as she closed her eyes and began to sing.

“O re-flec-tion, I stand be-fore you.

Say re-flec-tion, Tell me what I should do, To move past my fears

O re-flec-tion, I feel so empty and alone

I’m on my own

O re-flec-tion, I beg you

For I have nothing

Nothing in this world to sooth my soul

O re-flec-tion, show me ones hoof, I can hold

O re-flec-tion”

Sweetie belle takes another breath as the crowd sits quietly a moment before an increased sound of clapping hooves could be heard. Sweetie belle looked over the crowd as she let a smile crawl across her face grow in appreciation for their enjoyment of her performance before making her way off the stage.

As she reaches the stairs seppogaar reaches out a hand to help her down, she ponders a moment as to why anyone would feel the need to help someone down two simple steps, however she concluded he was only being gentlemanly and accepted the gestor as she placed a hoof in his slightly large paw and walked down the stairs.

“Thank you” she said bowing her head a bit

Seppogaar returns the gesture “You’re welcome. That was a-” he paused a moment “that was a beautiful song, you have quite a talent sweetie belle” he complements

“Thank you again, that’s very kind of you.” She replies

Rarity walks up with aim to congratulate her sister as seppogaar turns to give them the time to talk, he casually greets rarity by name before leaving them alone causing both her and sweetie to stop dead in her tracks a moment.

Star shine fidgets in the thrones seat, leaning over a bit “mommy, when can we get up? I want see aunt twilight and the others.”

Cadence smiles down at her daughter “in a little bit sweetie, there’s one more performance and then well go mingle.”

As cadence consoled she spots an odd shadow approach, shining sits up more straightly as seppogaar reaches their seats.

“Greetings your majesties, you as well young princess.” He bows respectfully “I am seppogaar. I apologize for my lateness; I have not been to the city for quite a long while and became side tract.”

“That’s alright, however you could have asked a guard for escort.” Shining assures

Seppogaar bows his head in acceptance of the advice “thank you sir armor, I shall keep that in mind”

The nága look down to the small princess star shine whom likewise looked up to him

“You have pretty eyes” she says.

“Thank you” seppogaar replies

“Where are the rest of them?” she asks.

Seppogaar grins humorously “I suppose you mean the pupil and irises. Nága eyes are one solid color, but I assure you, I can see just as well as anypony else.”

“You don’t have any legs.” she asked as bluntly as could be.

“Your right.” he says in joking tone.

“How do you walk?” she asked

“Slink, slither. It’s all lateral undulation” he answered

Star looks at him cock headed a moment “what are those on your head? Are they your ears?”

“Actually it’s my hood.” He answers bluntly

“What’s it do?” she asks

“Nothing” He replies

“Oh” star said slightly disappointed before her attention was caught “what’s that?” she pointed to the staff still held by his long tail.

Seppogaar brought the staff to his paw releasing it from his tail “this is the serpents staff, on the perch sits the crystalline orb known as the

serpents’ eye, which can be used to do all sorts of amazing thing, though the staff is quit powerful itself.”

Shining looked over the long staff, he noticed it seemingly coiled toward the bottom and top though a better portion was straight “hmm, if it’s as powerful as you say wouldn’t it be dangerous.”

“In the wrong hands, quite, however I have no intentions of maleficence.” He affirmed. He turns giving them a quick bow before leaving setting his sights on the concession tables.

Applebloom, applejack, and rarity were standing away from the crowd as they conversed about the evening.

“Wasn’t sweetie belle just amazing?” Rarity praised

Applejack look at her sister “I was a might’ bit impressed with how she handled ‘er stage fright.”

“That’s right, however did she solve it?” rarity inquired

Bloom giggled a bit “scootalo figured that one out.”

“Figured out what?” scootalo asked joining the conversation

“How to deal with sweetie belles stage fright” applebloom answered

“pssh, that was nothing” she shrugs off “hey, do you know what’s up with that spitfire lady? Every time dash said something she was all like yea, whatever or okay or just a grunt or grown”

Rarity and the others though a moment “well…I can’t put my hoof on it, however, I do believe it started sometime after wondeblots

ceremony, what 2 years ago?” rarity answered. She looks back at applebloom and pouts

Applejack shakes her head in her hoof “ugh, what are you going on about.”

“Oh nothing it’s just that, well appleblooms ensemble is mis-” she gasp heavily with realization. She suddenly snatchers applejacks hat off

her head putting it onto apple bloom as she looks it over a moment “PERFECT!” she declares.

Applebloom goes to give back applejacks hat until she stops her.

“ahh you keep it fer tonight. Rarity is right, it looks real good with yer dress an all.”

Bloom grinned “Thanks sis, you want some punch?”

“I’m parched, thank ya” applejack answered

Seppogaar slithers by a tray of hors d’oeuvres scoping up a paw full tossing them into his mouth.

He chews them up lifting his head as to swallow “hmpf, foods better.” he stops next to pinkie looking over the punch and caramel apple slices “hello pinkie, how are you this evening.”

“I’m fine, how are you?” she asks

“Good. Thank you.” he replies as he skewers three apple slices with his claws.

Applebloom walks over asking pinkie for some punch as she sees the tall nága eat an apple slice off his claw.

She watches a moment before speaking “So…You knew the princess’s?”

Seppogaars fork tongue runs across his upper lip as he ready’s another claw “correct.” He answers pleasantly “while I’m at it, good evening

to you miss apple bloom.” He says before devouring the second apple slice

Applebloom starts to comment on how he knew her name but remembered him speaking to sweetie belle.

“How’s your sister?” he asks eyeing the third claw skewered apple “and granny smith what about here? Is she doing well?” he asked snatching the slice with his tongue pulling it into his mouth.

“Oh, there fine, granny’s doing better since moving to the city, but applejack refuses to leave her alone. Big mac is runnin’ sweet apple acers alright but still could use some help”

“How about your friend scootalo?” he asks intriguingly.

“She’s fine; it’s really great to see her again.” She says with a grateful smile “I can’t wait for sweetie belle to go on summer break so we can go back to ponyville so we can catch up.”

“Does she not visit cantorlot?” he inquires

“We’re all in school and well, the train has a very precise schedule, visits are rare.” She explains

“What a shame, it’s just too bad she never learned to fly.” He says slightly whispering

Seppogaar turns to leave when he turns back a moment

“Say, does she still live in the little house with the garden balcony over the two pillars?” he asks

“How-how do you know where she lives?” bloom asks worryingly

He snickers slithering off “I know where every pony in pony-Ville lives.”

Apple bloom looked at the large serpent creature as he slithered off in shock, she begins to quickly trot off to tell the others when the lights suddenly go out. The stage is lit up with a curtain across half of it and a single spotlight in the middle of the stage front.

“Evening mares” the voice of Trixie called as a mare pony made of light appeared on the stage “gentle colts” she says as a colt made of light joined the mare “and fillies alike” finally a little filly pony joined appeared between the mare and colt made of an equally bright light “prepare yourselves to be dazzled at the amazing magical talents of the GREAT and POWERFUL Trixie!” the three ponies made of light leap into the air and explode into a mass of rainbow colored fireworks as Trixie takes there place.

Everypony in the crowd applaud the show pony as she readies her performance.

“Well, if you like that you’ll looove the next part of my show.” She boasts cheerfully

As the regale ponies watch the show applebloom made her way toward sweetie belle who was sitting by the concession table with a drink in hoof.

“Hey sweetie, you didn’t happen to tell that seppogaar guy our names or anything did ya?” applebloom asked cautiously.

“No, why?” she replied having taken a sip of her drink.

Applebloom turns with her eye on applejack through the short flashes of light from Trixies show leaving sweetie belle befuddled.

As the show goes on fluttershy grows more and more nerved by the flashing lights and the unsettling shadows it made over the ponies around her. She backs out slowly until a large flash of light creates an incredibly ‘scary’ shadow causing her to gallop out of the crowd toward the door and into a guard pony.

“Ms. Shy, whatever is the matter?” he said bowing to the yellow mare

She cowers a bit to the shadowed room. The guard looks about the room before quickly escorting her out and shutting the door behind him.

“tha-thank you. Your not-”

“Going to get in trouble?” he interrupts “no, it’s my responsibility to guard the castle, but it’s also my job to help with any concerns of the guest to the castle.”

Fluttershy looked up very timidly “oh, well thanks umm, I’m sorry, what’s your name?”

The guard sighs heavily.

“Is something wrong?” fluttershy asked

The guard looks at her shyly “I love my folks, but my name is the worst decision they ever made.”

“It can’t be that bad.” She rebutted

He mutters.

Fluttershy put a hoof to her ear “what’s that?”

He sighs again “daisy maze” he says clearly.

Fluttershy smiles “that’s adorable.”

Daisy maze grimaced before breaking into a smile. The two shared a small laugh as the ballroom quieted down.

Apple bloom finally reaches her sister as the show Trixie put on comes to its end

“Hey applejack” she says in a hushed tone expecting someone to hear “that guy, seppogaar? Somethin’ ain’t right about him.”

“What you mean bloom?” she asked curiously

Apple bloom glares at the nága “he…well he knows things, things nopony told him. Like our names and where we live.”

“Apple bloom” applejack said harshly

Apple bloom interrupts “he described scoots house and said himself ‘I know where everypony in ponyville lives’”

She assured her sister she wasn’t lying which applejack found to be genuine prompting her to put down her punch and head toward the crowd