• Published 11th Nov 2015
  • 2,110 Views, 31 Comments

Vessel of Harmony - Ranoa- Walker of Worlds



A mysterious intruder in the vault, and a child chosen by destiny in another world. Now the fate of two worlds are tied together by a gutsy ninja.

  • ...
5
 31
 2,110

Sunset Comes

It turned out that Luna would not be joining Naruto again that night. In fact, she spent the rest of the night plowing through the Starswirl the Bearded section of the archives looking for some kind of reference to what the bog might have been. He might not have known much about the realm of dreams but he had some interesting theories about the planes of the mind. However, none of them seemed to match what she had found in Naruto’s mind. She was so wrapped up in her work that she was startled when one of the archive workers set another set of books on the table she had commandeered.
“Sorry for disturbing you Princess Luna.” The archivist said.
“That is quite alright. I apologize for keeping you up this late sir archivist.” The stallion unicorn shook his head,
“It is no matter. Ever since your return the archives have always had a staff member or two ready to serve you if you needed us.” Then with a frown he added, “Though for some reason ponies feel the need to sneak in here in the middle of night even though we have someone ready to help.”
“Well, I thank you for your service.”
“If I may ask, what is it that you are looking for?”
Luna wondered if she should tell this archivist, but then she asked herself, ‘What’s the harm?’
“I was paying a visit to a foal earlier in his dreams but he wasn’t in the dream region. He was in a strange place. It didn’t feel like his mind at all, it was quite foreign. I am looking to see if Starswirl had any breakthroughs on the subject.”
“Well, if it is matters of the mind you are looking for I would recommend, ‘Traversing Thought,’ by Silver Stem the Bewildering.” The unicorn disappeared into the shelves and came back with an old grey book, “He was a bit odd and his writing can be confusing. In fact, I should fetch you my annotated version. He did talk about having a mind that was not supposed to be in the mind of another.” The worker used a quick dusting spell on the old underused tome before placing it on the table.
“Thank you Archivist. Would you kindly get me that copy as soon as you are able?”
“I shall deliver it to your quarters promptly your highness.” The Archivist said with a bow. As the archivist left the dark blue alicorn cracked open the new tome and began to read. As she set about to learn the contents of the book she hoped that the answers she sought were within the reputably crazy mage’s work.

It had been a while since she had stood here. As the sun began to rise it was the perfect time to attempt the crossing, not many students were here at the time. Sunset Shimmer looked at her reflection in the mirror that made up the base of the Wonder Colt statue outside her old high school. True she hadn’t gone far since graduating. She was working on an Associate’s degree at the local community college, but at the request of Principle Celestia and Vice Principle Luna she had turned down applications to universities outside of the region.
She knew that she was crippling any future she may have had by considering their request but also saw wisdom behind it. She was the one with the most experience in matters relating to Equestria and magic that sometimes spilled over.
In exchange for remaining behind the administration of Canterlot High had helped her establish a real enough identity to get by in the world. Life after graduation was difficult for a girl who didn’t exist on paper. It was easy enough to get through high school without a lot of in depth background, but for getting a real job or financial aid, that was another story. It would have been a lost cause to remain in the human world if not for the kind hearted principle pulling a few strings to establish her nonexistent past.
Today was a day to resolve some of her past’s darker moments. Even after all these years of talking with Twilight Sparkle she had yet to fix the biggest mistake of her life; she had never apologized to her former mentor. Today was the day she was going to fix that. Now she hoped that the Princess of the Sun would forgive her for her actions of the past, her arrogance and pride that drove her to act irrationally.
Taking a deep breath, she placed her hand on the glass surface. With a little effort she pushed her way passed the security measures placed around the portal on Twilight’s end. It wasn’t much, just enough to make the mirror feel like a mirror and prevent anyone from absently wandering into Equestria. It felt like pushing a wagon that had a heavy load. Then suddenly she broke through the barrier and slipped into the world of her birth.
The sudden transition from biped to quadruped took her by surprise and she nearly ended up kissing the floor. Adjusting herself and getting used to being back on all fours again a strange sound reached her ears. It sounded like someone was crying in pain. Before she could act on the strange sound a familiar voice caught her attention,
“Hey Sunset.”
Looking over to a chair in the room the red and yellow maned unicorn saw an adolescent purple dragon with his feet propped up reading a book. It took a moment to associate the voice with the body that was before her. After all, that voice usually came out of a small dog,
“Spike?” She asked. With a grin the dragon got up from his spot and wandered over to the unicorn.
“Surprising isn’t it? Would never suspect that this much dragon could be contained inside one cute puppy, am I right?” This made Sunset burst out laughing,
“No, it’s just that your voice does not match what I associate it with.” A frown creased the dragon’s face. The crying reasserted itself in Sunset’s ear’s,
“Spike, what is that sound?”
“Ah, Naruto was having some troubles waking up this morning so I think Twilight is subjecting him to a tickle session.”
“Who the heck is Naruto?” Spike’s eyes went wide for a moment before scratching the back of his head,
“Oh that’s right, no one has told you yet.” Then a sly smirk creeped across the dragon’s face, “Let’s just say that you are in for a big surprise.”
Sunset Shimmer made herself at home looking around at the collection of books that lined the walls around the portal device. Sunset was very impressed at the titles that occupied the shelves,
“So this is Twilight’s personal collection?” Spike nodded,
“Yep, some of it was donated by Princess Celestia, others are salvaged from the Castle of Two Sisters, while others come from various libraries and bookstores from across Equestria.” Spike explained. Eventually Sunset came to a locked glass cabinet that had several very damaged books inside. Seeing where Sunset had stopped and explained,
“Oh, those are the last of the Golden Oaks Library’s collection. Somepony took what could be found and restored a few of the books that were damaged during Tirek’s attack a few years ago.”
“The Golden Oaks Library?”
“It was the place that we lived when we first came to Ponyville. It became our home after the return of Princess Luna and there we lived for a few years until Tirek destroyed it trying to take Twilight’s magic from her.”
Sunset leaned in for a closer look,
“They must mean a lot to Twilight.”
“They mean a lot to both of us. Though once the new library is built it would make sense to move them to the new location. Seems only fitting.” Spike admitted. The echoing sound ceased and a while later the library doors opened. There stood the lavender colored princess.
“Sunset Shimmer! It’s so good to see you!” Twilight said with a bright, but somewhat tired look on her face. For a moment Sunset mistook the little figure that followed behind the Princess of Friendship for another dragon. After a moment of taking in the little creature’s features Sunset realized,
“Twilight, where did you find the human?”
Nudging the little boy forward Twilight introduced,
“Sunset Shimmer meet Naruto Uzumaki. My student and adopted son.”
To his dying day Spike would have sworn that he saw Sunset Shimmer’s entire jaw hit the ground at Twilight’s statement.
“Basically, I got sent to Naruto’s world by an interdimensional artifact. I met him, saw that he is able to do Equestrian magic and feel in love with the little colt.” Twilight took this moment to nuzzle Naruto, soliciting a giggle from the little boy.
“Naruto, this is my friend Sunset Shimmer. She lives in another world.”
“Nice to meet you Auntie Sunset!” Naruto exclaimed, instantly claiming the mare who lived as a human as another one of his aunts. The sudden assertion of affection and familiarity by the little boy caught the prodigal protégé off guard. Quickly fixing her senses Sunset responded,
“Nice to meet you too Naruto.” She then turned her next comment to the mother of the adopted child, “Will Naruto be joining us for tea later?”
Twilight shook her head,
“I am not going to make this bundle of energy sit through tea with a bunch of mares. Fortunately, my parents showed up yesterday and agreed to watch after him while we are having tea.”
Sunset sighed in relief. She wasn’t too concerned for the foal’s attention span but for her own sake. She didn’t want to have the child’s view of her ruined already.
The conversation that was going on was rudely interrupted by a loud belch from the dragon. A puff of his signature green fire burst from his mouth and a scroll materialized from the small inferno. With reflexive skill Spike caught the scroll and began to read it,

“Dear Twilight Sparkle,
I wish to know if I can come and discuss something regarding a dream Naruto had. The nature of said dream disturbs me and I wish to find out what it means.
Regards,
Princess Luna”

Sunset could see the concern form on Twilight’s face. Something in Sunset’s mind wondered how Twilight could grow so attached to the young child so fast.
“Spike, please take a letter.” The princess asked her dragon assistant. The drake produced a roll of paper and pen seemingly from nowhere and began to write what his older sister figure dictated,
“Dear Princess Luna,
It is fortuitous that you should write to me on the subject of Naruto’s peculiar dream. I was going to write to you and see what was going on and if you knew anything that could shed some light on the subject. As you are no doubt aware your sister, Princess Celestia, is paying a visit to my castle today. Perhaps if you could come with her and we can discuss the details after the primary reason for today is over.
Please come as soon as you are able,
Twilight Sparkle,”
With a deft skill learned over years of practice, Spike sealed the letter and sent it via dragon flame. A moment of silence prevailed the room before Sunset worked up the courage to say something,
“So umm, Naruto. What is your home like?”
This question made the ninja hopeful launch into his best description of the Elemental Nations, more specifically the Hidden Leaf. Needless to say it surprised Sunset to find out that the little guy was from a world that had super powered ninjas that would be put up for hire by the village they were associated with. She was even more startled from learning that active duty could begin at age twelve, if not sooner.
As she listened to her son dictate how he perceived life back in the Village, Twilight would cast glances out her library window, keeping a watchful eye on the sky. She wanted to be ready to spring into action when the princesses arrived. Eventually, her vigil paid off as she saw a glint of gold appear from the direction of the mountain the city of Canterlot was built on. She quickly rose from her window seat and announced,
“It would appear that the Princesses are on their way. Shall we go down and meet them?” This was a prospect that Naruto was all for. Sunset Shimmer opted to stay and wait for the royals as she was still nervous about reuniting with her old teacher. So, the Sparkle family proceeded down to the front gates of the castle and watched as the golden chariot came closer.
Finally, the large gold royal chariot touched down and Twilight felt some mild surprise at seeing not one but both of the royal sisters sitting within the Pegasus drawn transport. With polite bows the older members of the welcoming committee greeted the sisters. Naruto’s idea of a greeting was a little different.
“Princess Luna!”
Without anypony to restrain him, the blond youth bounded from his place next to Twilight, some would claim that he cleared the distance between them in one leap, and proceeded to give the monarch of the night a tight hug. The resulting expression on Luna’s face was priceless. The last time she remembered wearing this face was when the little colt Pipsqueak pulled on her mane years ago at Nightmare Night. The sign of affection should have been foreseen, but it was still unexpected. What was really unexpected was Celestia’s reaction to the situation,
“Oh come now Naruto, doesn’t Aunt Celestia get a hug too?”

Sunset was pacing the floor of the library. She momentarily thought of retreating back through the portal and not coming back, but she had agreed to this. She knew that if she ever wanted to get on with her life she had to close old wounds. In this case there was a lot of cleaning to do before it could heal.
Her musings on the situation was interrupted at the low humming of magic being used and the door opening. She turned her head enough to see Princess Celestia standing there alone. If she came to the library alone or the others were waiting outside was unknown to Sunset, but right now she had bigger fish to fry.
In shame Sunset hid her face. Old feelings that she thought she had worked through reared their ugly head like the evil beast they were. Anger, jealousy, pride, all rose up in her at the sight of her old mentor; but over everything, there was regret. She fought her tear glands as they began to act up, but that did not stop her voice from choking up.
“Princess Celestia, I know I said some hurtful things when I left. And I completely understand if after today you never want to see me again. I just want you to know that I am so sorry and ashamed of violating your trust. I didn’t deserve to be your student,” Sunset’s voice caught on itself but she fought through her voice crack, “I don’t know if I can ever redeem myself in your eyes, but I promise to…”
Whatever Sunset was about to say was cut off as a yellow aura surrounded her. It’s all too familiar glow and feel reflected in her old mentor’s horn. Sunset Shimmer was torn from her place from across the room and pulled to her old teacher. The prodigal student found herself enveloped in the hoofs and wings of the princess.
The sudden shock of being pulled over by Celestia caused Sunset to lose control of her tears.
“But… But how can you forgive me so easily?” The soft tone of Celestia’s voice conveyed the message that Sunset only thought she could only hope to hear,
“The blame was in part mine. If I had been more attentive to what you were going through I might have been able to stop your fall. I am sorry Sunset; can you forgive me?” The two mares looked into each other’s tear filled eyes and let the embrace say what neither of them were able to say.