• Published 22nd Feb 2016
  • 328 Views, 4 Comments

Peter Smith and the Tree of Harmony - Treasurehunter20



A guy with no friends get stuck in another world and has to find a way home

  • ...
 4
 328

Ch. 3 A Second Opinion

After I set down my journal on the nightstand I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and stretch out some of the kinks in my back and neck that I got while writing. The first thing that got my attention was how painfully full my bladder was which prompt me to race toward the bathroom. I accidentally kick the door in my haste making my foot hurt like a ton of bricks just landed it. ”My God, that hurts!” I yell as I hopped on one foot into the bathroom while holding the injure foot in one hand. Setting my foot down in my pain induce haze, I didn’t notice the blood corning from some of my toes as I went about my business until I started to wash my hands.

“Of course I’m bleeding” I said as I grabbed a wash cloth off the towel rack next to the sink and proceeded to clean the injury was just peeling of the skin a little too deep on the tip of two toes on the right foot. “It doesn’t look too bad. At least I won’t need stitches.” At that time as I sat on the floor to get the first aid kid out from under the sink, my dad knock on the door.

“Are you alright in there, Peter?” he called through the door. “You’re not dying in there?” he joked.

Looking under the sink I couldn’t fine the first aid kit, so I called back. “No, I’m not dying, but where’s the first aid kit?”

“In the workshop. Why?”

“Because I tore some skin off by kicking the door. By the way why is the kit doing out there? Never mind, I don’t want to know.”

“Peter, don’t hurt yourself.” He joked.

“Too late there. Just get the first aid kit, please.” I called out.

“Ok, ok. I’ll get it.” Dad grumbles as he walked away. Minutes later he came back with kit in hand. “Ok, I got it the aid kit. Could I come in?”

“Yes.”

“Wow, that’s a lot of blood.” He said as he opened the door. I was still on the floor bleeding quite a bit, but not as bad as before. Dad got me to sit on edge of the bathtub as he kneel on the floor and open the slightly used first aid kit which is more like a paramedic’s kit of sorts. Grabbing the antiseptic he said, “This might sting a bit, but it should clean out the wound.” As sprayed the stuff all over the injury. And boy did that sting, it felt as if I was being stung by a few bees and burning like my foot’s on fire or been dipped in a powerful acid.

“God, that hurts dad.” I exclaim as I jerked my foot out of his grip involuntarily.

“Well sorry, but there’s nothing I can do about that. Now let’s get you patched up.”

After a few minutes, I was ready to continue with my morning routine which consist of grabbing a glass of chocolate milk, take my meds, let Midnight out, clean my room, clean myself up and get dress for the day. Limping just a little, I followed dad down the stairs to the kitchen where I saw Midnight outside the back door. He must have follow dad outside when dad got the first aid kit from the workshop oh well, that’s one thing on the list done. “Dad, could you take me to church today? I ask as I got a glass and a medicine bottle out of the cupboard.

Dad thought for a moment as he grabbed the griddle from under the counter and proceeded set up for pancake breakfast. “I guess I could, I wasn’t planning on going to church today. But since you asked I’ll go. Besides I need to make a few errands anyways.” He said as he pulled a few ingredients out of the fringe. “I see we need a few groceries.”

“Thanks” I reply, both for agreeing to take me and he just handed me the milk which was nearly empty, just enough for a glass. He wasn’t kidding when he said that last part apparently. Little else was said as I down my meds and let Midnight in. My dad and I have different political views but we both agree our current government is beyond help, something turning on the news quickly confirm as politicians from both parties are refusing to work together on one issue or another. There are a few topics my dad and I can’t discuss without nearly coming to blows and politics is one of them. Turning off the TV, dad set a small stack of pancakes in front of me. “Thanks.” I said.

“Don’t need to listen to any of political junk.” Dad said, “In my book that policy on gun control is a non issue.”

“Not this again, dad. Let’s not start on this and just get through today, alright?”

“Fine, you want to shower first? Or should I?”

“You should, I already showered last night.”

“Okay. Oh would you look at the Time.” Dad said as he got up from the table after finishing his food. “We gotta hurry if we’re gonna make it to church.”

A half hour later we sat in the car just pulling out the drive way. I saw Midnight in the window looking upset that he gets left behind for the trip to town. Glancing at my notebook I was lost in thought as I saw Princess Luna written down. Why is that name so familiar? And why was she in my dream last night? Well I’ll find out later, something just feels off. And that tree made crystal from my dream, I feel like I seen it before somewhere. Before I know it, we’re pulling into the cultural center’s parking lot. Wow there’s a lot of people here.

The Cultural center is what the town decided to renamed the church in the effort to make the town a little more open to other cultures. Whoever was the architect sure knew how to have the modern sections of the building to mix with old in a pleasing style. There’s still work going on but it looks great as I walk up the slight rise to the door. The door has a carving that depicts people from many different cultures living in a peaceful community, it’s a dream that I don’t think will happen given that about half or 60% of the town opposes opening the town to outside groups. Those people are the old folks who don’t like change. Just inside the place opens up to a spacious lobby that you sometimes find in a health club or a resort. Well come to think about it, the health club is part of the redeveloping project here and I guess that why the rest of town is getting behind the project.

“Hi, son.” Mom greeted me at the door to the sanctuary. “You don’t normally show up for church.”

“I know right.” I reply. “listen mom, I sort of need to talk you about something.”

“Sure thing. After the service Peter.”

The sanctuary is the oldest part of the building and it’s packed. Good thing dad and I are one of the last people here because the sanctuary had almost no seating left and with the service about to begin, there’s no time to really socialize. I don’t like talk with others, maybe because I moved around a lot as a kid has caused me to have a fear of losing friends. That and the fact I’m autistic, meaning I have autism which is neurological disorder. Anyways dad and I take our seats just as the opening music start to play signaling the start of the service. Nothing really connected with me during the service like most people who attend church. After the service on the way out I told mom that I’ll be in her office when she’s done talking to a few stragglers.

“Dad, you go do those errands. I’ll be a while.” I said.

“Sure thing, Peter.” Came the reply.

I then walked down a side hallway that ran along the side of the sanctuary and has five offices coming off opposite of the sanctuary. Turning at the door before the kitchenette at the end of the hall, I enter the office label Pastor Linda. Mom’s desk is clutter with various papers, files, and newsletters, but aside from that her office has a nice homely feel to it. Sitting in one of the chairs that sat across the desk in the corner of the room, I didn’t have to wait long for mom to show up.

“So what would you like to talk about Peter?” mom asked in a caring voice.

Pulling out my notebook and turn to my last entry I said. “Last night I had a dream.”

“Oh, what made this dream so special?” she responded from the chair next to me.

“For a couple of reasons. First, I remember even the tiniest of details. Second, I think God is trying to tell me something.”

“Would you like to share details?”

“Yes. It starts out like this. ‘I fell to the ground on my hands and knees. The cold water flowing around them numbs the pain. Shaking my head clear, I looked around. How did I end up here?’”

“Where are you?” mom asked.

“A dark passageway, the ground feels like stone and timber with what feels like rusty metal rails along the floor. The place must be a mineshaft. I follow the flow of water down the tunnel towards a lit opening. A possible way out?”

“Okay, then what happen next?” Mom asked.

“Well, as I head closer o the light the tunnel begins to change. First softly glowing crystal start appearing, then the beams holding the ceiling up become fewer in number until I arrive at a huge natural cave. That’s when I see it, the source of the light.”

“What does it look like?”

“A tree.”

“A tree?”

“Yes a tree. A tree made of glowing crystal.”

“Oh, is there any else? Like could you describe it?”

“Oh you could just read my last journal entry for the details mom. But before you do, let me describe the rest of my dream ok.” I said while handing her my notebook. “So, the dream changes to me seeing images in a pool of water at the base of the tree.”

“What do these images depict?”

“An evil so great that it spreads chaos and destruction throughout not one but two worlds. After that, a dark shadow figure started chasing me through the mine. When I came to a cave in, I thought I was going to die as a falling rock the size of a cart was about hit me. The crunch never came.”

“Did you wake up then?” Mom asked.

“No, this is going to sound strange. I looked up to see the rocks floating above me and all around me. Time itself seem to have stop. That’s when I asked ‘what’s going on?’”

“Really? Did anything else happen?”

“Yes to both questions. I then heard a female voice say “Your dreaming.” Then the scene change to just outside of my home in front of a creature I haven’t seen before but is oddly familiar. We talked a little then my alarm woke me up. As I said, please take a look at the last entry for details.”

“Why don’t give me a moment to read this.”

“Go right ahead, mom.” I said; as I sit back in my chair to get into a comfortable position. Mom started reading the entry occasionally muttering to herself, which was new for her, and pausing long enough to write a note in the margin every so often. After about 5 minutes she stops and handed back the journal. “So what are your thoughts?” I asked.

“Well you sort of asking me to be like Joseph from the bible, but I give you my speculation here. From what you told me and from your notebook, god is trying to tell you something. God is warning you that something will happen in the near future. Now my guess is that you’ll go on a journey full of twist and turns that will be hard on you. And when all seems hopeless, help will come in an unexpected way.”

“Thanks mom, but do you have any idea on that last part of the dream? You know the part about the visitor in my dream?”

“I have no clue. Is this all you want to talk about?”

“Yes, thanks again. Bye” I said getting up.