• Published 31st May 2012
  • 1,517 Views, 24 Comments

Amnesia: Twilight's Nightmare - CookiesOnFridays



As Twilight goes closer to the darkness she finds herself unable to turn back.

  • ...
4
 24
 1,517

A Shadow is Following you...

Chapter 1- A Shadow is Following you…
-Editing done on 10/26/12-
(Authors note- This is only a pre-recorded message. The following description below is the story told by a mare named Twilight Sparkle. This story is told by the point of view of this young mare. Not all information may be accurate. This is the first time that I have recorded something like this. So this may not be that exciting. Please understand that this recording is a first time thing and the genre is new to the author.)
“Don’t forget… Some things mustn’t be forgotten. The thing is hunting me… I must hurry!”
I felt extremely lightheaded as I stumbled back and forth on the dark stone walls with my week legs. I kept reminding myself of the thing haunting me and feeling my consciousness slipping away. But still I babbled uncontrollably.
“Don’t forget! Don’t forget who you are! My name is Twilight Sparkle. I live in Equestira at… At Ponyville.”
I crumbled on the floor feeling very weak, unable to hold myself up but I knew I must go further away from… From something… There was an eerie scream. Hollow but fearful… To take my life, my very soul…!
“What have I done? This is chaotic. Don’t forget. I must stop her. Focus!”
My eyes drooped and I bobbled my head back and forth. Every time I opened my eyes I was in a different room.
Finally I saw a corridor and at the end there was a damp, dark room. I entered the room as the walls of the corridors cave in behind me. I collapsed on the dark wet stone floor below me.
I needed to remember… But where was I? What am I… There was only one thing I could grab before my mind went intensely dark.
“My name is… I am… Twilight Sparkle…”
-------------------------------------------------------------
I woke up to feel the trickling sound of water falling lightly on my forehead. There was just enough light from the windows to show what the room looked like and where I was. Honestly it was definitely pitch black but my eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness.
Cramped by the aching pain all over me, I stood up as I blinked my eyes rather slowly. As my eyes focused, I looked at my surroundings. By the looks of the establishment it indicated that this was rather an old castle… I wasn’t hurt except maybe some cuts and bruises. I had no idea where I was and I hadn’t any clue of what to do.
“Where… Where am I?”
I rubbed my head and found something father odd. It was… A horn? I tapped the horn with curiosity and if by magic, I saw something glow on my flank. I noticed it was a small pouch and I quickly opened it to find a journal. Quickly skimming through it, I came to the page with only four words.
I read out loud despite my dry throat, “Follow the liquid trail”.
Looking around confused, I finally spotted a pink like substance. At first I hesitated… But something nagged me to follow.
“What is this place”? I thought to myself.
I spotted a rather large door. Despite my sanity telling me not to open it, but my desperation to find a way out took over.
I pulled on the door, with a roar, a hallow scream vibrated throughout the floor and air. I quickly backed away and started to run. I trotted for my life. My focus was on the trail, no matter what came in the way. Only once I stopped to pick up something dry like wood. I didn’t know what it was, but I knew I would need it later.
Constantly I heard these whispers filling my ears as if there was someone or… Rather something… Trying to tell me something.
Finally I arrived to a flight of stairs. I moved quickly, noticing that it was lit. Why were there lit torches here?
A second traumatizing scream filled the air. It seemed close. Rather closer than before. I fell down to my knees and stumbled on the floor. My vision started to melt and I saw the torches flickering on and off. It’s as if the screams were coming from the air itself. My ears pounded hard as the only thing I heard was the sound of my pounding heart, and a ringing in my ears. For a few moments I laid there, feeling dead.
Finally, the ringing stopped, leaving me in utter silence. For a few more moments I laid on the hard stone ground. Soon I regained strength and made my way toward the trail again.
Most of the castle was nothing but the remains of debris covered with cobwebs. The castle itself felt lonely, so unbearable that I felt as if I were alone. Occasionally I heard moans and the creak of floor boards moving from above. Clearly there must’ve just been some small creatures in the castle, but for the most part I felt completely alone.
After hours of following the trail I was led in a room filled with scrolls. Trunks covered the room. I entered the room but suddenly the doors slammed shut. A strong gust of wind circled the chandler above me. I was more startled, then scared. This proved to be the least mind shattering moment of all events that had occurred.
As I approached the table in the room, I noticed a bottle of ink and a note.
I picked up the note and started to read. Something about it made it feel extremely important. And then I noticed something… Was it my name?
“Dear Twilight Sparkle,
I wish I could ask you how much you remember recent events. I don’t know if there will be anything left to remember after I consume this drink.
Don’t be afraid Twilight. I can’t tell you why, but know this. I choose to forget. Even our dearest friends we may have forgotten and that’s how important this situation is. Try to find comfort and strength in this fact alone. There is a reason, a very important reason. For you are my final effort to bring peace back to the land of Equestria.
Oh may harmony be humble upon you as you may show great anger to the name of Princess Celestia. If it doesn’t, this will sound terrible.
Go to the sanctum of the Royal Castle; find Princess Celestia and kill her. Her body has no magic left. Yours may have it but you should not be able to remember how to control it. Even if this is a terrible fact, do NOT let the Princess have your magic. If you follow this one rule she will be at your hooves.
Save us both, Twilight Sparkle. Descend into the darkness of the night where Princess Celestia will wait for you and kill her.
Your former self,
Twilight Sparkle.”
I scratched my head with a hoof as I read the note once, twice, and three times. Finally giving up, I placed the note in my pouch. I noticed another piece of paper falling on the ground. I picked it up and I frowned.
“Also note… Your friends are in grave danger. They may have already changed! If they… If they turn different, please either run away, or if necessary… Try and kill them… The chaos that follows you protects the ones who have changed. But use your wits to place harm against them. I am just glad that you may not know them at the moment. Be careful…”
Friends? Who were my friends? I just remember getting up from a cold damp floor with an aching body. Also who in the world was Princess Celestia?
My hooves suddenly trembled, and I felt a splitting pain in my head. I doubled over and just caught myself by placing a hoof on the table and another hoof on my forehead.
I closed my eyes and my vision bursted with color. For a brief moment all I saw was a castle on the side of a mountain. The sky was bright blue and there was a village… The village was far below the mountains, passing through trees and rivers. The land appeared so peaceful. Then a dismantled figure, seeming to fall from the sun itself, I couldn’t make out her face but there was something abnormal about this mare. Her hair seemed to float with different colors; she had wings and a long horn, but a blank face.
The figure walked up to me and placed its empty face near my vision. At first the empty face just stayed in place. Then it let out a cry. The space suddenly opened up, spilling blood and the head of a monster appeared. The crimson liquid floated to the air making the sky grow blood dark. The moans of the dead seemed to rise from below and chaos seemed to rain. The entire place itself started to become covered in some kind of red tissue and was consuming everything that matched its path. I looked at the ugly faced figure once again and this time, it let out a terrible cry. The same hollow, ancient scream that wanted me… But for what? What did I do… What did I do!?
I closed my eyes and opened them again. This time my vision was in complete darkness, but suddenly it let imagines appear. I was on the cold stone ground and next to me was some kind of lamp filled with liquid.
There was a switch and I flicked it. Light shimmered only about a few feet from where I was with the lamp but I didn’t care. I was extremely happy for some portable light source. I checked my pouch and took out the equipment I had.
There were five tinderboxes and only two small bottles of oil.
This wasn’t much but I knew that I would need everything with which to light. The actual question was how did I get here? Also how did I get all these supplies? This place was filled with strange things.
I looked around once more with my lamp. Rubble filled the middle of the large room. Everything was made out of gray stone and some windows were here and there. I noticed that there were a long line of stairs leading to a different room. I started to descend but I was stopped by a sound of a thousand whispers filling in my head. My vision started to go blurry and I rubbed my eyes.
When I opened them again everything was rather bright. The room was very colorful but when I looked out the window, the sky was blood red with thunder interrupting the clouds. All over the room there was chaos. Stallions with armor and weapons seemed to be preparing for what I thought was an invasion. Even the mare with wings and horns was here but this time she was standing right next to me. And her face was just beautiful! I didn’t know how but I knew that this is what my former self told me to kill. But how can I kill a kind looking mare like this!?
“Everyone stay sharp! I want you all to barricade the draw bridges, barricade all the doors and keep the outside guarded at all times!” The mare yelled. It was who I thought was Princess Celestia.
A guard appeared before her, holding a bronze spear. “Your highness, you said it yourself! This creature cannot be stopped! It’s nothing but a nightmare of destruction and we can’t even kill it because we can’t see it! It’s just trying to fight air-“
“I didn’t train you to be a royal guard so you can act this way! Your duty is to protect me and my student! From now on my sister will take care of all of you!” The Princess said pointing toward a doorway.
A dark colored mare with a starry like mane appeared through the door. “I will take good care of everypony. Until we can find a way to defeat this creature once and for all, we will risk our lives to bring peace back to Equestria.”
“What about Captain Shining Armor?” The same guard asked the princesses.
Both of them hung their heads. Princess Luna seemed to be angered and disappointed at the same time. Almost as if she was about to cry,
“He… He’s just changed. Let’s leave it at that. He’s nothing like the Captain we all knew and relied on…”
“Is he… Dead?”
Princess Celestia looked at the guard with roaring anger. “Go back to your post! Or I will have to fire you from the squad!”
Without hesitation, the guard saluted with shame and dashed off to join a group of soldiers.
The Princess waved a hoof at me. “Come… We have much to prepare…”
I just followed the Princess down the steps and as if I wasn’t in control of the situation, I felt myself talking to the Princess.
“So are you really going to stop the shadow of chaos?”
Celestia’s expression was very grim and she looked at me with solemn eyes. “We will see my student. You are the key to saving and fixing what you have unleashed, even if it may destroy all of Equestria and all those who stand in its way.”
I felt my face twist and turn into an expression of shock. “So the lives of all the people may be in danger because of me?”
The Princess didn’t give me a nod, her expression turned harsh. “That may not be true, my student. The lives of only a few hundred could save thousands… Now come! We have much to do…”
I opened my eyes and just stood there frozen for a minute, thinking about what I just saw.
A shadow… Of chaos? Can’t be harmed by anything the Princess has said… But what?
Suddenly I felt my coat stand up straight and I heard the sound of moving chains. Curious, I peeked up at the top of the stairs and my eyes widened. There was a figure… A figure moving rather quickly toward my direction… I raised my lantern and I screamed out in shock.
The thing was a stallion but with its entire coat shredded apart and showing only bare muscles dripping with dark blood. The face twisted at an angle that was abnormal and the lips were so wide apart, they could have swallowed a colt in whole.
I started dashing down the stairs, the creature following only steps behind me. The eerie sound of the hollow voice echoed in my ears. I felt extremely light headed all of a sudden and I was about to stumble down the stairs until I turned right. I opened the metal and quickly closed it behind myself. The creature banged on it relentlessly, trying to enter. I did the safety lock on it and backed away. The creature let out a moan of anguish. A few moments later, I heard the chains reside back on the stairs.
I felt so relieved… I just wanted to go into a deep sleep… However I knew that if I slept, the shadow would haunt me even in my dream. Because…
The shadow is following me…
(End Note- I usually write over 3k words or 4k words but this was my first time writing a horror chapter. I don’t know if it will be good but I just hope you guys enjoyed. Please tell me what I can improve on to make this story better like does it need more detail? Dialogue? I would be very grateful for your support and help so I could make this chapter better, and make the next chapter even scarier.)
-Edit done on 10/26/12-
(Large credit to my English teacher Mrs. Picard for looking over the story, writing advice in my notes, and giving me courage to continue!)
(Credits to my friend Abry for some important revisions)
(Also credits to my friend Munchie on helping me edit on some parts)