• Published 29th Sep 2015
  • 186 Views, 0 Comments

Adventures in Apple-achia - Cold Cuts the batpony



Crackshot will have his revenge.

  • ...
 0
 186

Found Out

It had been a long and arduous week. Dusty and i had had to simultaneously gather the supplies all the while avoiding Dan as he chased us all around the valley. We had the all the dynamite we needed, and I had cast my specialty slugs and laced them with hornbane. The final ingredients we needed were location and bait.

"We've been chased all up and down the valley, and I'm sick of it," Dusty groaned, collapsing on the bar of the dinghy little inn. "When are we gonna get this done?"

I had to agree, I was tired of running. I plucked a crumpled cigar from inside my vest, I hated it, but the stress had been getting to me and I'd recently taken them up again.

"Just a few more days. We may have to split up for a bit while you rig the trap and I draw Dan off." I held a match to the end of my cigar and puffed I into life. I sighed.

Dusty's head thumped down on the counter, "Wonderferrff."

We ordered a round of beers and some fried potatoes. After our meal we were led upstairs to the room we had rented. There was an awkward pause as we realized, there was only one bed. A small one at that.

"Bru-hu-hem!" I cleared my throat, "We'll take watches," I moved towards a chair by the window, "I'll take the first one." Sitting down, I relit the stump of my cigar. Intently, I stared out the window at the street, the reflection of the cherry was remarkably bright in my eyes. I was startled a moment by a deep rumble that started behind me. Dusty was a horrendous snorer.

Pondering a moment I reflected on how Dusty and I had grown to be good friends in our past week of trials. Once you got past the incessant babble, he was a likeable fellow. He was a few years younger than I, about the same age as my own brother. I frowned, my brother. His memory instantly soured my mood. I couldn't help but wonder if perhaps Dusty had been my brother, things would be different now.

Dismissing the thought, I returned my gaze to the window and choked, eyes wide. Dirty Dan stood in the street looking in the window of the saloon. How did he catch up so fast? His horn glowed with magic and he turned to face our hotel. He was tracking something, an object. I looked around frantically. There, in Dusty's bag, something glowed with the same aura.

"Dusty! Wake up!" I hissed between my teeth as I leapt across the room.

The pony sat bolt upright, "What is it?"

"Dan is tracking something in your bag! Help me find it!". I had already strewn half the contents across the floor. Then I found the lump, sewn into the bag wall were five gold coins. "What are these?!"

Dusty looked sheepish, "I was keeping them for a rainy day," He mumbled. I swallowed the sensation of betrayal, he had more than proved himself.

"No time!" I was practically shouting now, "The pecan grove two towns over. Set up there. I'll take these," I brandished the coins, "and draw him off. Three days, that's all I can promise."

Discouraged, Dusty nodded. I jerked his head up and looked him in the eye, "Now is not the time for a pity party. If it wasn't this, then it would have been something else." I let go of his chin and rushed out the door, not waiting to see his reaction.

I ran down the hall and onto a second story balcony. Without a second thought, I leapt to the sky. There I was met by a great wooden cask. Deja-bucking-vu, I thought as it struck my head. This time however, I had braced myself and I plowed through it. Ears ringing, I continued on, I could hear Dan swearing behind me. I guess this made me the bait. I could only hope that Dan wanted me more than my partner.