• Published 27th Sep 2015
  • 492 Views, 9 Comments

A Thousand Moons Missed - WuRs



No one is perfect. Even Gods have their flaws. Celestia has secrets. What would happen if one of them came back from the dead?

  • ...
3
 9
 492

Chapter 1

It was a calm morning, the birds were chirping, the sun was shining: the perfect day to sit back and do nothing. But for Twilight it was the perfect day to catch up with her reading, specifically princess Celestia’s books. As a matter of fact, she had just received a couple of new ones.

“Morning, Twi! Here are the books you wanted to read.” Said Spike as he entered the room.

“Thank you, Spike!” answered Twilight with a smile. “Today I’m just going to sit back and read. You can take the day of, if you want to.”

“Oh… Ok then, I’ll go and see if Rarity needs some help” Twilight chuckled and she knew Spike noticed because he turned from purple to red. “I’m going to… you sure you don’t need my help?”

“No, Spike go on I’m sure Rarity will be delighted to see you”. That said, Spike left Twilight with her books.

Twilight, normally, would find an elaborate scheme to select which order she would read all of the books, but this something caught her eye first. Has she as examined them, she noticed that in the middle of all the hardcover books there was a scroll.

“That’s odd…” she thought to herself while she opened it. She opened the scroll.

“This is a spell. An old one… A very old one. The princess must have sent it by mistake or…” The curiosity was killing her at this point.

“Maybe… Maybe she wants me to learn it. No! Well… maybe. It probably won’t do any harm. And I am supposed to take care of my own, now that I’m a princess.” She started to read the scroll and spent most of the morning trying to understand the ancient runes. Bringing all sort of books to translate them into something that she could actually understand.

It was almost midday when she finally was ready to cast the spell.
“I will probably need some space to cast this.” She trotted to the entrance of the castle.
“This should do it.” She started to cast it. Sparks started to fly out of her horn making a lot of noise, the spell was so powerful that it seemed like a hurricane had formed in the castle entrance. She was starting to worry but, moments later, it just stopped.

“Well, that was a waste of time” She noticed a light forming in front of her. It was a scroll.

“Oh no…”

The scroll was from princess Celestia and it clearly said to not use the spell. It was after she read it, that she spotted it. Out of the corner of her eye, a portal was forming. The letter also said that the spell was a portal to Tartarus and, if opened it could unleash all sort of demons into Equestria. Twilight’s heart was already beating strong. And she could fell the anxiety.

“What have I done?” But she didn’t panic. Twilight tried to close the portal and she succeeded, a second too late. Something was already in the room. She hid behind some chairs that were thrown around by the wind.

A disconcerting silence had set in the room; all she could hear was her own vital signs. She didn’t even look at what had crossed the portal and she was already terrified of it. Then the silence broke.

“So this is what freedom feels like…” The creature’s voice was deep and definitely male. “You can show yourself. There’s no hiding from me…”

His voice made Twilight shiver. The way he spoke reminded her of Luna’s voice before she was “reeducated”. She emerged from the chair pile expecting some horrific monster to jump out and kill her, but to her surprise, standing before her, was a pony! Or at least it looked like one. He had zebra stripes, although he was darker than Zecora, but he had Pegasus wings and a cutiemark, the only color defying the blackness of his mane and tail was the orange that also burned in his eyes. But even though he knew where she was, he was looking at her.

“Who are you?” Twilight managed to ask.

“Irrelevant to you!” He shouted, turning his head to stare directly into Twilight. He seemed to be analyzing her. “Oh… My apologies. I Did not notice I was talking to royalty.” He said with a much calmer voice. Twilight was shocked by this and her face showed it.

“What? I may have been in Tartarus but I still have manners! Anyway, I need you to take me to the royal sisters.” Twilight was lost in her thoughts.

“I don’t remember Celestia mentioning any banishment during her studying period. But he knows Luna, which means he is old. Too old.”

“How long have you been in there?” She could see his pain has she asked.

“A very long time… so long that I lost count. But probably around 500 years.”

“But that’s impossible!”

“In Tartarus you don’t age, don’t starve, don’t die. Time is different in there…”

“I knew that but if you were sent there 500 years ago you wouldn’t know Princess Luna.” He shivered.

"And why would that be?”

“Luna was banished. For a thousand years.” He turned his back to Twilight and scratched his forehead with his right wing. “And she only escaped a couple of years ago.” His anger was building and Twilight was getting fearful for what he might do. He controlled his rage and spoke.

“Did she try to take Tia’s place as ruler of Equestria?” Twilight was speechless. Not even she felt comfortable calling Celestia “Tia” but also how did he know the reason of Luna’s banishment?

“Yes but she also tried to bring eternal night. Were you and the princesses close?”

“Close!? Yes. You can put it that way. I’m Blaze by the way.”

“Princess Twilight Sparkle.”

“Tittle?”

“Princess of Friendship.” Blaze tried not to laugh but it was quite obvious.

“So has I said I need you to take me to the royals sisters, I would go by myself but apparently it has been more than a 1000 years and I don’t believe they still live in the same place.”

“And why would I do that?”

“You just somehow open a portal to Tartarus and a pony stepped out of it who would you report to?”

“Well…”

“You don’t have to worry, I wish them no harm.”

“Ok I’ll take you to Canterlot but it’s a long journey.”

“Can’t you just teleport us there?”

“Yes… Yes I suppose I could do that. But I have to warn the princesses about our arrival.”

“No need I wish to surprise them.”

“Well alright then… Are you ready?”

“Yes. Are You?” He sounded nervous.

“Yes. Let’s go.” Although she believed him, she just wanted to have Celestia’s backup if Blaze decided to turn on her. And with a simple teleportation there they were. The gates of Canterlot Castle.