• Published 30th May 2012
  • 957 Views, 0 Comments

How Snowy Night Came To Ponyville - SnowyNight



A pony from up north heads south after receiving a letter from a long-lost relative, Pinkie Pie.

  • ...
 0
 957

Chapter 6 - Confrontations and Confounded Expectations

Applejack and Rainbow Dash both hung their heads as Fluttershy marched them towards the library. "You two aught to be *ashamed* of yourselves," said Fluttershy. "Tackling Snowy to the ground like that. You're going to apologize and mean it, too."

"Boy, Snow and the egghead must really be getting into those books," said Rainbow.

"Yeah," said Applejack. "Wonder if Snow's found her talent yet ."

"They must have, by now!" said Rainbow. "They've been in there since *yesterday*!"

"Well - what do you think, Fluttershy?" Aplejack turned to see Fluttershy hovering several feet behind them, her face crimson.

"What do you know, Fluttershy?" asked Rainbow, grinning.

When Fluttershy didn't respond, Applejack said "C'mon, Flutter. Jus' like we talked about - take a deep breath and then just say it."

Fluttershy took a deep, slow breath. Both Rainbow and Applejack leaned forward, intent.

Both ponies quickly fell back, however, as Fluttershy yelled "I THINK TWILIGHT AND SNOWY MARED LAST NIGHT!"

Both Rainbow and Apple had fallen back from Fluttershy's volume, but now Applejack stood up. "You're foolin'."

"Hold on... what do you mean, they 'mared'?" asked Rainbow, still flat on her back.

Applejack turned to face Rainbow. "It's... well, cloppin', only... well, with two mares doin' it."

Rainbow's jaw dropped. "So THAT'S what it's called!" Further discussion was impeded, however, by commotion further in town.

Applejack shook her head. "Flutter, we gotta work on that volume problem o' yours."

Rainbow had already rushed towards the library. By the time Fluttershy and Applejack arrived, she was standing outside waiting, uncharacteristically.

"What're y'all waitin' for? Let's go in already!" said Applejack.

"What? No way! I'm... uh... waaaaay too cool to be seen entering the library ALONE. You go first."

"Nuh-uh, sugarcube. Ah ain't fallin' for it. We'll be right behind you. Go on."

Rainbow was about to argue further when Fluttershy pushed past her, muttering something about silly ponies. She opened the twin doors and entered the library, with the other two close behind.

The library was a mess. Books were scattered everywhere, with Spike sleeping atop one pile, snoring. Fluttershy nudged him gently with one hoof, waking him.

"Where's Twilight? And Snow?" asked Rainbow.

"How should I know?" said Spike. "Wait... they're upstairs." Spike shuddered. "Twilight said something about 'research' and chased me out. It looked like she was *eating* Snowy Night's face." Rainbow and Applejack exchanged glances while Fluttershy's face reddened. The three started to walk upstairs, but Spike moved between them and the stairs. "Twilight said she didn't want to be disturbed."

"But we need to talk to them! Her! Whichever!" said Rainbow, but Applejack stepped forward, forestalling further argument.

"That's all right, Spike," said Applejack, looking at Rainbow as she did so. "We'll just wait down here until they come back downstairs."

It wasn't long before the sounds of hoofsteps could be heard upstairs. Rainbow put down a Daring Do book and looked intently at the stairs. Twilight emerged soon enough at the bottom of the stairs.

"Oh - hello, everyone," she said, staring around at the three ponies. "What're you doing here?"

Both Rainbow and Applejack seemed lost for words. Fluttershy said "These two are here to apologize to you and Snow for their awful, foalish behaviour yesterday." She then rounded on Rainbow and Applejack and said, "AREN'T you?" The two ponies nodded sheepishly. "Since Snow didn't return home last night, we thought she might have stayed over."

Twilight took a moment to answer. "Yes, she's upstairs, uhh...putting the books from...our all-nighter away." Applejack's eyes narrowed suspiciously.

Snow came downstairs and blinked at the four ponies' sudden appearance before her. "Oh! Uh... hey, guys."

"Did-" began Rainbow, but Applejack put a hoof over her mouth and smiled guiltily at the other assembled ponies.

"We just wanted t' apologize for how we acted yesterday. *Don't we, Rainbow?*" added Applejack. Rainbow could only nod, as her mouth was still full of hoof.

"Well, um, apology accepted, then," said Snow.

"Well, glad that's settled," said Applejack. "Won't happen again, promise. Be seein' ya." With that, she dragged a silently protesting Rainbow out of the library, closing the door behind them. With a squeak, Fluttershy got up and ran out after them.

In the silence that followed, Spike said "Wow. I never thought I'd see Rainbow NOT want to leave the library!"

"Spike, could you go upstairs and gather up the books we used?" asked Twilight.

"But you just said that Snowy -"

"I stacked them, but they'll still need to be put away," said Snow. Spike, grumbling, stalked upstairs.

"Oh, dear," said Snow calmly. "It seems they know."

"Or they think they do," said Twilight, shaking her head. "Sorry again about last night, I -"

"No, no," said Snow. "I acted on impulse in the first place. No hard feelings."

"This may seem like a strange question, but... ARE you into mares?"

Snow looked out the window for a moment before answering. "I believe so," said Snow. "I've never given it much conscious thought."

"Still, at least we found you a Talent," said Twilight.

Snow grinned wryly. "A Talent still needs nurturing before its potential can be realized. She looked again at her Cutie Mark - not three leaves, as previously thought, but three feather quills. Writing implements. "I need to get going - Sugarcube Corner awaits."

"See you," said Twilight, and Snow made her way to the door. Before she could leave, however, Twilight spoke up, saying "It's almost a shame we DIDN'T end up... well, you know. Would have been an educational experience - for both of us." Snow just nodded as she exited the library.