• Published 24th Sep 2015
  • 331 Views, 2 Comments

In the Spotlight - Lvl11Bard



Follow the life and adventures of Spotlight Gleam and the other children of the Mane Six as the next generation of the Elements of Harmony.

  • ...
 2
 331

The Dryad

Twilight paced back and forth in front of her throne, where Trixie sat. The princess' nervous face worrying her spouse and the other Elements of Harmony, save Applejack, who were sitting in there respective seats. It was a little pass midnight and everypony in the room was exhausted, but not nearly as much as the farm pony who just now entered.

“Dang it Twi, I gotta be up in a few hours to start working on the fields. This better be important,” Applejack yawned as she took her seat.

“Yeah Twilight, what's such a big deal that you needed to round us all up in the middle of the night?” Rainbow asked with a hint of irritation.

Twilight looked to her friends with a mix of concern and determination. “Girls, Equestria is under threat once again and it's up to us to stop it.”

“Oh my, whatever could it be,” Rarity, sleeping mask still resting above her eyes, questioned.

Twilight took a deep breath before she recanted her conversation with the lord of chaos earlier in the night.

-

“Discord? OK, first of all, why is everything still in place? You haven't messed anything up in here,” Twilight looked around the room for any evidence of chaotic magic.

Discord, without changing his expression, replied. “This is too important to spend time goofing off.”

Twilight's eyes widened at Discords words as she sat on her bed. “Discord, how serious is this?”

“Equestria is in danger,” Discord started, “because of another elder spirit.”

“Another? There are others?” Twilight asked, trying to suppress her desire to hear all about a new subject.

“Yes, quite a few actually. But most of the others decided to leave to explore the universe or something equally as tedious. Only me and a few others stayed behind. Of course this was far before Celestia and Luna came along and... well, you know,” Discord answered with an embarrassed chuckle. “But the one that may be a problem right now is a Dryad, the spirit of nature who is calling herself 'Blight' right now.”

“Now? Did she have another name? And what's a Dryad” Twilight pressed.

“Yes, but to be honest, we weren't that close and I never bothered to learn her real name,” Discord shrugged “but as a Dryad, she can teleport through trees, control plants and influence animal behaviour.”

“I guess her name doesn't matter much at the moment, but she does sound dangerous” Twilight muttered to herself. “OK, then why is she threatening us? And why now?”

Discord laughed nervously while he pulled at his non existent collar, unable to meet the Alicorns eyes. “Heh, you see about that...”

“Oh no, this is your fault, isn't it?” Twilight sighed.

“Of course not!” Discord countered, taken aback. “I just didn't help things either.”

“That's hard to believe,” Twilight remarked sarcastically.

“Anyways,” Discord continued, “back in the old days, Blight and I sort of disagreed on a lot of things, especially which territory belonged to who. You see, while I had most of Equestria under my control, she created and maintained the Everfree Forest, which was much larger back then. And while we couldn't directly do anything to each other, due to a powerful magical pact between the elder spirits-”

“Wait,” Twilight interrupted, “you signed a pact?”

“Well I didn't want to, but I wasn't about to take on twenty other beings that matched me in power,” Discord scowled at the memory. “But yes, there is a magically enforced rule that states that no elder spirit may interfere with another ones territory. It was to prevent us from destroying the world over petty arguments. However, while she couldn't directly harm me, she could create tools to do so.”

Discord paused, even though it was a dire situation, he couldn't resist some dramatic flare. “And that's where the Tree of Harmony comes in.”

“The Tree of Harmony!” Twilight exclaimed.

“Yes, she created it and then Sunbutt and Moonbutt found it. I suppose you can fill in what came next,” Discord shuddered, remembering his stone cold prison.

“Then what happened to Blight?”

“I'm getting to that,” Discord snapped. “After my defeat, Blight went out of her way to help the ponies settle and recover, pleased that I was no longer around to mess with the 'natural balance'. Celestia and Luna were happy to have her around, that is until...”

“Until what,” Twilight asked, getting tired of the pausing.

“You see, Blight loves nature quite a bit and didn't take to kindly when ponies started cutting down trees for wood and clearing out entire forests for their cities. She started to retaliate, even creating the timberwolves to attack ponies on sight. You ever wonder why you ponies can't control anything in the Everfree Forest? Eventually, Celestia and Luna had to stop her, stripping her of her power and banishing her to a wasteland with no animals or vegetation. Now, it seems that she regained her strength and returned and she's already attacked some towns in the South. The other princesses are trying to fight her off and since I can't harm her, they told me to come inform you.”

“I see. But what if you just claimed Equestria as your territory again?” Twilight offered.

Discord scoffed. “I could, but I have to use my magic to make it official and the last couple times I did that, I got a blast of harmony to the face.”

“Hmm, alright, I'll go get the other elements so that we can deal with this,” Twilight thought out loud.

“That's another thing. Back then the elements weren't that effective on their creator, or so I heard. Celestia told me that she had to use her own magic to win. It might be different since you have the power inside of you instead, but still be careful,” Discord warned with true concern.

Twilight smiled. “Thanks Discord. You know, you might have not been the best spirit in the past, but you've really turned yourself around. I'm happy to have you as a friend.”

Discord sputtered, embarrassed, but coughed to recover. “Of course you are. Anypony would be lucky to have me as a friend. I'm amazing! Well, I should get going, have to help prepare cities for rampaging roses and such. Toodles!”

“Bye Discord,” Twilight laughed as the lord of chaos teleported away.

-

“So we need to get ready,” Twilight declared to her friends. “Discord said that she's strong, but she won't be at full power until she reaches the Everfree Forest.”

“How dangerous is this? Isn't your niece coming to stay with you tomorrow, er, today,” Fluttershy asked, looking at the clock.

“It's fine. Discord told Cadence as well and she's coming anyways to help us. She wouldn't want to leave Rosegold behind during a crisis like this,” Twilight responded. “I guess I don't need to tell you not to let Soothe play by the forest anymore.”

Fluttershy nodded as she looked to Rainbow Dash, who had the same concerns about their daughter. “So what do we do now?” Rainbow pressed, ready to spring into action.

“We wait. I wanted to tell you all as soon as possible in case the worst happened, but we all need our rest. Go home, get some sleep and be ready,” Twilight answered.

The others nodded, save for Rarity. “Just one more thing. dear. If she knows that we're the elements, could that put our families in danger?”

Twilight's eyes widened. “You're right. OK, bring your significant others and children here in the morning. The castle is protected by dozens of magical enchantments and barriers. They'll be safe here.”

That seemed to quell any concerns her friends had as they said their goodbyes a departed, making plans as to how they were going to overcome their next enemy.

The next morning came, and the elements reassembled at the castle, their families in tow. The adults were all in the main hall, discussing sleeping arrangements and how long they thought they would be there while the fillies gathered in Spotlight's room.

“Wow, this is great. It'll be just like a slumber party!” Spotlight exclaimed, excited “I can't wait for Rosegold to show up.”

“Except, you know, the lingering danger hanging over our heads,” Cookie rolled her eyes. “That might be a bit of a party pooper.”

“It'll be fine. Our moms have done this plenty of times. It'll be no sweat,” Soothe remarked, flying circles around the room.

“I hope so, but I can't help but think of all those poor ponies out there that might be getting hurt right now,” Bright's head hung sadly.

Appleslice, mane now tied in a red bandana, threw an arm over her unicorn friend. “Aw, that's just you, Bright. You've got a baddie potentially gunnin for ya and you're concerned for everypony else. You've always been a sweetheart like that.”

Bright's cheeks became a deep red as she tried to hide her face closer to the ground. “Th-th-thanks, Appleslice.”

Soothe snickered as she elbowed Spotlight, pointing to the embarrassed unicorn. “Yeah, Bright's always been like that.”

“Leave her alone, Soothe,” Spotlight whispered, “you don't want to hurt her feelings.”

Soothe sighed and whispered back. “Yeah, you're right. I don't want to make her sad, but when is she going to finally say something to Appleslice, because Celestia knows that that apple brain is never going to figure it out.”

“When she's ready,” Spotlight replied sternly.

“Ahem.”

The five fillies turned to the door where Rosegold stood.

“Hey Goldie Rose,” Soothe waved.

“It's Rosegold,” the other pegasus corrected.

“What, you don't like nicknames?” Soothe asked.

“No,” Rosegold said as she entered the room. “I was told to 'hang out' with you guys, so... here I am.”

“Don't worry Rosegold, we're going to have plenty of fun!” Spotlight smiled cheerily to her cousin.

“Fun, while our parents risk their lives?” Rosegold asked with sudden annoyance. “They won't even let me help!”

Spotlight demeanour shattered. “Sorry Rose, I was just trying to make you feel welcomed...”

“There was no need to lash out at her,” Cookie added.

Rosegold sighed. “Fine, sorry.”

Spotlight gave a small smile. “It's OK. Hey, how about you get to know my friends better. I mean, the quicker you learn about friendship, the quicker you can go back to the Crystal Empire, right?”

“I suppose you're right,” Rosegold agreed as she sat down.

There was a bit of an awkward silence until Rosegold looked towards Appleslice. “Um... Nice bandana. I didn't see you wearing it yesterday.”

“Well thanks. Ah was in kitchen all day yesterday and ah didn't want to get it dirty. It was gift from a friend after all,” Appleslice proudly showed off her head wear and gave a wink to Bright, who blushed again.

“I just thought you looked nice in it,” Bright smiled nervously.

“I see. Also Bright, I am still confused. How do you not have cutie mark yet? Wasn't there a club or something dedicated to getting cutie marks in Ponyville?” Rosegold asked.

The others groaned as Bright chuckled sadly. “Ah, yes, the Cutie Mark Crusaders. We were all apart of it when we were younger, but I sort of out grew it before getting my cutie mark.”

“And I've said there have been dozens of cases where ponies got their cutie marks much later than you. There is nothing wrong with you,” Cookie spoke up in her same monotonous voice. “I've even shown you the records.”

“That's true, I still have time,” Bright nodded, feeling a little better.

“You found dozens of records just to make Bright feel better?” Rosegold asked.

“I didn't mind. They were facts. I like facts. You can't dispute them because they're the absolute truth. I find that it helps a lot of ponies when they know the truth,” Cookie lazily responded.

“Alright,” Rosegold, clearly bored, slouched.

“Come on, don't be like that,” Soothe flew over to Rosegold. “How's about a joke?”

“No thank you,” Rosegold grumbled.

Soothe frowned and started circling the room again. “You could at least try to have fun.”

“I want to be a guard. I have no time to have fun,.”

“And I want to be a rescue pony,” Soothe countered, “but that doesn't mean I'm a stick in the mud. You know, your attitude can really change a life or death situation.”

“I find it hard to believe that a joke can save somepony's life,” Rosegold drawled.

“Of course it can,” Soothe crossed her arms, “I mean, look at Zigs.”

“Zigs?” Rosegold asked when something landed on her head.

Before she could reach up to move it, a furry little head leaned over her brow to look her in the eyes. Rosegold screamed as she started to run around the room. Soothe swooped in and grabbed the critter, laughing.

“There you are are buddy! I wondered where you scampered off to.”

“What was that!?” Rosegold panted angrily.

“Zig zag. Or Zigs for short,” Soothe explained, holding out a small, brown creature with a large, poofy tail. “He's my pet squirrel.”

“You have a pet squirrel?”

“Yep. Found him one winter buried under a fallen tree. Managed to get him out and took him home to mom. He was really injured and it didn't look like he was going to make it, but I spent all night with him, telling jokes and keeping him in a good mood. Mom said that that probably gave him the strength to survive. It's how I got my cutie mark.”

“That's pretty respectable, I guess,” Rosegold said as she returned to her spot.

“Well that was entertaining and all, but how about we all have a snack,” Appleslice suggested. “Ah tried a new recipe for apple strawberry cupcakes yesterday and Ah'd appreciate it if y'all would help me taste test it.”

The others nodded eagerly as Appleslice reached into her saddlebag. She handed a cupcake to each of her friends and kept one for herself.

Rosegold eyes hers curiously before taking a bite. “This is amazing! You made this?”

“Sure did,” Appleslice nodded.

“Appleslice is always making new kinds of baked goods and dishes,” Spotlight explained, “and they always come out delicious.”

Rosegold finished her cupcake and looked to the farm pony with a bit of embarrassment. “I don't suppose there's another one in there?”

“Sorry there Rosegold, but ah only brought one for everyone. Don't you fret though, I'll be selling them at my next bake sale,” Appleslice smiled warmly.

“You have bake sales,” Rosegold asked, showing a bit more intrigue.

“Sure do. And all of the proceeds go to various charities across Equestria each time.”

“That's pretty noble,” Rosegold commented, a bit impressed.

“Thanks, I just like to help ponies that aren't as fortunate as we are,” Appleslice explained happily.

With the tension in the air starting to dissipate, the girls began chatting happily while Rosegold sat in thought. While she still wasn't happy to be in here when she could be training, she had to admit there was a bit more to these ponies than she first thought. Maybe she could get this friendship thing down faster than she estimated and return home sooner. The alabaster pegasus' thoughts, however, were interrupted when Soothe addressed the group.

“So what she do now? Maybe we could play a game?”

Spotlight jumped up with an excited expression. “Ooh, ooh, I've been working on a trick that momma taught me! I can show it to you guys.”

The others looked to each other with concern. “Are you, Spotlight? There are more than three ponies in this room,” Cookie asked.

“Sure I can!” Spotlight responded, sticking out her chest. “It's an easy one. All I do is create a bright light to dazzle the audience. Momma uses it to stun ponies and misdirect them so that she can prepare another trick.”

“Alright then, let's it,” Soothe urged her friend on.

“OK,” Spotlight took a stance and concentrated. However, only after a few seconds did she seize up and start to stutter.

Her friends tried to give her encouraging smiles, even Rosegold, who fully understood her cousins crippling stage fright. But even with her friends support, she just couldn't bring herself to do the trick and flopped onto the ground, disappointed in herself. “Shoot, I'm never going to be a showmare.”

“It's alright sugar, you'll get it eventually,” Appleslice patted the unicorn on the back.

“Yes, we're sure you'll be a great performer someday, dear,” Bright offered her own consolation.

It was then that heard a large explosion followed by the castle shaking.

“Wow, do you think it's Blight?” Soothe asked.

“But I'm right here,” Bright spoke up, confused.

“Not you, that Dryad lady,” Soothe rolled her eyes.

“Oh, of course,” Bright laughed, embarrassed.

“Darn it all! I wish I was out there, helping them,” Rosegold stomped her hoof in anger.

“From the sound of where the explosion came from, it seems like we can at least watch what's going on from my window,” Spotlight suggested as she walked over to the far side of the room.

The young magician opened the the blinds and gasped at the scene before her. The others rushed to see what caused their friends reaction and were shocked and horrified at what was happening.

In front of the castle, the Elements of Harmony, as well as Princess Cadence, were all wrapped in vines sprouting from the hand of a bipedal creature cloaked in rotting leaves.

“Fools!” The monster shouted in a dry, rasping voice. “Did you really think that my own creation could be used to stop me? It doesn't matter what form they come in, the elements will always listen to me!”

“I know some ponies can get wrapped up in their gardens, but this is ridiculous,” Pinkie stated as she struggled against the vines.

“You'll never get away with this!” Twilight declared as she tried to blast Blight with some of her magic, but the Dryad simple deflected it with her free arm.

“Oh, but I will,” Blight mocked, “and you're going to help me! You still poses some of my trees magic and I intend to extract it out of you.”

Blight retreated towards the Everfree Forest at a supernatural speed, towing along her captive. Shining, who was laying to the side, injured, got up and tried to chase after her. “No!” He cried before collapsing to the ground in pain again.

The kids, back in their room, could only watch as their moms were dragged deeper into the forest.

Author's Note:

And here's chapter two! Again, I'd appreciate any feedback you're willing to offer.

I decided to share who all the parents were, in case some of you might be disappointed that your favorite pair isn't in this. Don't worry, if you decide to stop reading because of it, I won't be offended. Anywho:

Twilight x Trixie (Spotlight Gleam) (Obviously)
Cadence x Shining (Rosegold Crest)
Fluttershy x Rainbow Dash (Soothe Feather)
Pinkie x Cheese Sandwich (Cookie Dough)
Rarity x Coco Pommel (Bright Palette) (This site is in desperate need of more Rarico in my opinion)
Applejack x unknown (Appleslice)

I was going to have the joke that since we've never seen Applejacks parents and no one points in out, Appleslices father was unknown and no one addressed that either.

Anyways, have a good day everyone and I hope you enjoyed.