• Published 17th Nov 2011
  • 1,466 Views, 21 Comments

Midnight Hooves in Ponyville - Paradise Oasis



A Student from the Royal academy arrives in ponyville years before Twilight Sparkle, and tries to do academic work without a bunch of crazy

  • ...
3
 21
 1,466

chapter 6

2nd year, 320th day-

Ditzy's pregnancy goes well, and she is beginning to put on weight. I have to stop by sugar cube corners a few times a week to pick up a box of muffins, which will promptly disappear in just a hour or two. I've ordered a new cradle from a catalog, to be delivered from Canterlot. Ditzy's taken a maternity leave from mail delivery, though she still insists on doing things around the house. In truth, I wish she'd just take it easy a bit more. An incident two days ago, in fact, gave me a real cause for concern. I, too, have taken a long respite from my excavation work, to help take care of things at home until the foal is born. Daddy Doo, meanwhile, will take over Ditzy's male route.

When Mr. Breezy and I were trying to paint and re-shingle the house, my wife came out of the house with two glasses of lemonade she had made for us, carrying them on a tray on her back. She walked underneath the ladder we were standing on, and her wing that she had stretched out to balance the tray caught on one of the ladder's rungs. Ditzy pulled the ladder down, bringing Breezy and I crashing down onto the hard ground, and spilling lemonade all over our faces. I was extremely upset, not because I was upset she could have hurt us, but rather I was upset she could have hurt herself and the foal. But I did not let my anger and worry show, as we lifted up the ladder, and pulled ourselves up off the ground.

I've finally convinced Ditzy to stop flying until the baby is born... I know it's hard for a Pegasus to have to walk around everywhere, but I'm terrified she'll fall out of the sky and crash in her state. Even with her walking though, I still fear that something may happen, as my wife seems to want to crash into every tree and rock in her path. Oh, Ditzy... why can't you be more careful? I feel horrible about picking on my wife for her clumsiness, even if it is only in the privacy of the pages of this journal. But I fear for her and the little one, and it's hard not to be overprotective.

3rd year, 47th day-

Last night, one of the greatest events of my young life happened... it was a night I will never ever forget.

Last night, my daughter was born.

What words can I write here, that can describe what I felt? When I rushed my wife to the Ponyville clinic, after she began to feel terrible pains? How can I express what went through my mind, as the nurse shoved me out of the delivery room, even as Dizty's terrible screams of pain echoed through my ears? Big Mac and Breezy tried to keep me calm, even as I paced the room, trotting back and forth nervously. After what seemed like an eternity, I heard a final shriek of agony from my beloved wife, then the midwife finally told me I could re-enter the room.

All of the fear and anxiety, worry and fear that I felt... melted away when I was the little angel the nurse placed into my arms. This little Unicorn, the same color as her mother, was the most beautiful little thing I had seen, since I had first laid eyes upon her mother. Staring down at this tiny, wonderful creature, I was filled with wonder that this tiny miracle was created by Ditzy and I... together. As I cradled this tiny life in my hooves, I Thanked the powers of this world for having blessed me with such a wonderful family. Handing her back to my wife, I whispered...

"Welcome into the world... my little Dinky Doo."

3rd year, 75th day-

The past few weeks have been filled with diaper changing, a foal screaming at 2 in the morning, and Ditzy and I grumbling about who was going to get up this time. I have returned to my work at the dig site, but I take every other day off to stay home and help with Dinky and the household chores. Ditzy is looking forward to returning to her mail duty, but she is waiting until Dinky is off her milk, and can drink from a bottle. Until then, she is home-bound, and I really feel sorry that I can get away from the house far more than she can. I want to share the responsibility of taking care of Dinky as much as possible. But Ditzy insists I get back to work as quickly as I can. Oh, how lucky I am to have a mare with her patience!

My dig is now poniting to something very exciting! According to the tablets I am now finding, I may be digging very close to the very spot where the Penna buried the Flashstone! This is a most exciting turn of events! If I could locate that stone... The dark source of Squirk's evil power- an energy far greater than Discord, the elements of Harmony, or any other known power in this world! Oh, just think of the benefits to Ponykind if I can find the flashtone, and take it back to Canterlot, Equestria would have an endless source of magical power at it's disposal! We could be on the verge of a new pony utopia, a society beyond even the wildest dreams of ponykind! I must dig deeper, and find that stone!

Ugh... need to cut this entry short... Dinky just threw up on me again...

3rd year, 188th day-

Ditzy has finally recovered, and returned to her work at the mail. We now take turns taking care of Dinky, and the town mares take turns babysitting her on the rare occasions one of us simply can't be at home. Beetween a newborn foal, my wife and my work, I have very little time to myself anymore. So what few moments I have to read, or get a minute to myself...I cherish it all the more.

Ditzy has been making making our lives all the more interesting, as usual. Over the past few weeks, I've had a string of angry Ponies banging on my door, complaining about lost mail, dropped packages, smashed gates and broken windows. All the work, they claim, of "a klutzy mail mare" (thier words, not mine), and all of them making me shell out large number of bits to pay for my wife's mistakes. I don't mind the cost at all, though... my stipend was increased recently, so there is a bit more bits to go around. Still, I wish there was a way to start saving a bit more to save for Dinky's education.

In a piece of good news, Ditzy and I have been invited to this years grand galloping gala, thanks to Sky Runner pulling some strings. Ditzy and I both looking forward to the oppournity to get away, and have some time to ourselves again for one night. After that, we have the Doo family reunion coming up, and Ditzy's relatives are dying to see the foal. My only fear is that Ditzy's mother will be there, and Daddy Doo fears she might make a scene. Why oh why must there be so many ponies who wear the blinders of intolerance? Ditzy is worried about attending two special events back-to-back like this, but I'm sure we can handle it. After all, with everything we've gone through, what could possibly go wrong for us?