• Published 16th Sep 2015
  • 470 Views, 16 Comments

Tale of the Shadow Pony - AtomicShockwave



Two core elements... Shadow and Light... are going out of balance. One pony must go from nothing to everything in order to retain the balance... but he can't do it alone.

  • ...
4
 16
 470

[Chapter Four: Backfire]

Author's Note:

I want to greatly apologize for my... absense... long story short life's a bitch. I will do my best to make up for the days that I did not write, by doing 1 a day, and/or multiple chapters a day. I won't go into detail on the issues of my life cause well... That not why you're here to be honest. I hope you guys enjoy the chapter, and the many more to come.

The day prior went on normally for the remainder of it, but that pony was constantly on my mind... something seemed off with him... but I decided to simply brush it off and get some rest.

The next morning I awoke to some chit chat at the door. I got up to see that Brian was at the door talking with Twilight.

I threw the tattered bags onto my back.

I then jumped down from the upper layer onto the lower one and glared at Brian, I noticed that he had a horn that he didn't have before and this greatly rose my suspicions of him.

"Right... Thank you." Brian said as he trotted off in a hurry as Twilight shut the door.

"What did he need...?" I asked curiously.

"Oh, he wanted some directions to Sweet Apple Acres." Twilight said.

"Shit..." I sighed and rushed out before more could be said.

I made my way to the orchard, but on the pathway there was a large boulder. And in front of it were Applejack and Brian...

"Hey!" I said as I went over to the two.

"Oh, well hey there Leon" Applejack said.

"What's... going on...?" I said as I looked at the massive boulder in front of me.

"This boulder came from the ridge nearby and rolled right into the path, just my luck huh?" Applejack said with a sigh.

"Why don't you just walk around it...?" I say curiously as Applejack then nods over to a large wooden cart of apples.

"Easier said than done..." Applejack says as Brian butts in.

"I can get rid of this boulder, no problem!" Brian said with a cocky smile as his horn glowed and sparked.... but nothing happened.

Me and Applejack just gave him looks of confusion.

"That... That's odd..." Brian said confused at his own moment of failure.

"Let me try this again!" The red pony said as he charged a spell once more... but the same result... Nothing.

Skeptical about my own skills and strengths. I decided to take matters into my own hands, or at least try to.

"Let me show you how it's done..." I said as I got close to the boulder.

"What's an earth pony like you going to do?" Brian said with a sly smirk.

"How about I show you." I said as the two watched me put all of my force into the boulder, as I began to push the boulder out of the way.

"How..." Brian said as he and Applejack stared in amazement and confusion.

"Hrgg.... Hnnn Ahh...." I ended up pushing the boulder out of the way and off to the side.

I panted a bit and then I turned and faced the two.

"Voila!" I said motioning the ponies to be on their way.

"Ya really are somethin Leon..." Applejack said as she smiled at me.

I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"Ya know, I need someone like ya to help me a bit more... If ya don't mind" Applejack said to me.

"I would love to help" Brain said straight away.

"Ehrm.... I..." Applejack sighed.

"What is it you need?" Brian said curiously.

"Leon.. if ya willing to do so, I need the large buckets of apples brought outside of the barn... and Brian.. if ya can manage to do so, the barn needs a new coat-a-paint." Applejack said with a tone of... disappointment..? Something about her were giving obvious vibes that she didn't like Brian one bit.

"I guess I have the time..." I said as I stared walking toward the main area of the large orchard.

"This will be easy!" Brian said with confidence as he trotted towards the barn.

Without another word from Applejack I began to do the work as requested, bringing the large buckets of apples to the front of the barn, and each time I went there Brian was working on it, giving it a nice red coat. He seemed to be working really hard. I felt like something was a bit off about him... still to this moment.

"What? Like what you see or something?" Brian said to me as I returned to reality from my blank stare towards him.

"Nope, just devising ways to skin to." I said with a devilish giggle as I walked away and went back to my work.

I worked for about an hour, and Brian did the same. He finished the barn, and did quite well.

I noticed from a distance that the both entered the barn together. I decided to eavesdrop on what was going on.

"Wha? Are ya out of ya mind? That's not how payment is! Not here at least!" Applejack said angrily.

"Oh come on... if anything I'll also be helping you~ It will relieve plenty of stress... When was the last time you mated?" Brian said as I peaked in to see him stepping towards Applejack.

"Neva in a million harvesting seasons would I ma-" I cut off Applejack as I entered the barn.

"Oh.... Hey Leon..." Applejack as I started to walk towards Brian.

"Move." I said as I pushed past Applejack.

"What are you gonna-" I headbutted Brian before he could say another word.

Blood came from the point of where I hit as Brian staggered a bit and fell over.

"Argh.... AGG!!" Brian groaned out as I held my hoof down on his neck.

"If you... EVER think about doing such a thing... or trying such a thing... or recommending such a thing to one of my friends I swear... your blood is what I'll use to do the next paint job." I said putting more pressure against him.

Brian stuttered in a mix of panic and fear.

"GOT IT?!?" I said loudly as Applejack stared in shock.

"Ok! Ok! I get it! P-please stop!!" Brian said pleading as he struggled a bit.

I let my hoof up and dragged him towards the entrance of the barn.

"Hey?? What are you doing?" He said as I picked him up and threw him out of the barn.

"Leave... Now." I said as Brian staggered to his hooves and rushed off.

"T-thank you so much Leon..." Applejack said as she stepped towards me.

"Yeah... whatev-" Before I could say more, Applejack hugged me.

"So... I'm ya friend...?" Applejack said as she finished the hug and stood before me.

I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"Yeah... that's what you call them, right?" I said as I began to walk off.

"Hey! Your! ... Pay...." Applejack said a bit too late as I left.

I felt that same strange feeling again... the feeling in my chest... I could not pinpoint what this could be, all I can say is that I hope it isn't going to be another hospital trip.

I headed into town and I noticed that Sugarcube Corner was fixed.

I headed into Sugarcube Corner and went to the mare at the front counter.

"Hello and welcome to Sugarcube Cor.... Wait... You're that fellow that helped out Ponyville, aren't ya?" The mare said as she turned her head a bit.

"Yeah... that would be me..." I said with a sigh.

"I must get something for you! Here." She handed me a large menu full of sweets and pastries off all kinds.

Being a sucker for sweets I couldn't help but take the offer.... I actually think I smiled a bit... It felt off for me so I simply kept a straight face as I browsed the menu.

After looking through a bit I found a cheesecake called the Nightmare.

'Visually it can be deceiving, but on the inside there is much much more. This Nightmare Night treat is a dark chocolate cheesecake with a thin strawberry syrup filling with the slices.' The description read.

"I'll take the Nightmare" I said as my mouth watered a bit.

"Oh... that was for Nightmare Night season but... ahh why not. One Nightmare coming right up." I nodded and passed the menu back as I took a seat.

It didn't take long for the wonderful cheesecake to come out, and I'm pretty sure my mouth watered a bit. It was just as the menu said, a little dark chocolate cheesecake.

I enjoyed the cheesecake, it tasted amazing.

As I finished the cheesecake as got up and headed for the door.

"Have a wonderful day! We hope to see you again soon!" The mare said as she waved me off.

I nodded and headed out.

I decided to look around town for a bit with my extra time and pleased belly.

I then came across the store I saw the other day that the white pony was in front of during the dragon incident.

A sign outside of the store read "Carousel Boutique".

I shrugged and entered the building.

"Welcome to Carousel Boutique! Where every garment is chic, unique and magnifique!" The white pony says as she then notices me.

"Leon! It's so wonderful to see you! Here, come!" The pony said as she took me to what seemed like a display stage.

"Hello Ms....?" I said unknowing of her name.

"Call me Rarity. Now, I must returned the favor of what you've done for me and my shop." She said pulling out some outfits.

"For... what I've done? For you?" I said in confusion.

"The beast was going to destroy my shop! But thanks to you, it's all in one piece!." Rarity said as she threw a random outfit onto me.

The outfit was a coat for my front half and shorts for my rear half. The overall design contains red about the edges, and a main containment of black and gray.

"Ahh, seems fitting for a hero against heartless monsters." Rarity said with a smile.

"I didn't come here for this..." I said as I looked down at Rarity.

"Oh... Well how about this one?" With her magic this time, Rarity switched the previous outfit with a dark green tunic, and some tight leggings with an odd pointy hat.

"No." I say bluntly.

Rarity sighs and magically takes the outfit off of me. She then looks down at the bag and gains a disgusted look.

"I think I know what I can do that will help us both." She then takes the bag and heads over to a work area.

"Hey! Give that back!" I go to head over there as she cuts me off.

"I'm sprucing it up for you, no need for worry." She begins to work on it and magically brings some fabrics, threads, and even some gems over to her.

I wait there and moments later she shows me the bag. It's appearance has been completely altered. The tattered brown clothes were made to look a smooth light gray color, and I noticed in small lettering with use of the gems read "Hero".

"Wow..." I said in surprise at her skills.

"It may not be much, but I had to do something for you." She then magically brought the bag and placed it over my back.

I nodded and looked at Rarity.

"I'll be on my way now..." I said as I headed for the door.

"Be sure to come back if you change your mind about an outfit!" Rarity said with a smile.

I nodded and headed home. I shook my head a bit on my way back.

I tried to enter the house but the door was locked. I knocked, but there was no answer. I knocked once more and there was nothing.

I looked down at the mat in front of the door and I moved it a bit, revealing a small key.

"How convenient..." I took the key, unlocked the door and entered.

Twilight wasn't home. I placed the key into my bag, and then went over to her desk.

"I'll hold onto this..." I took the large gem which had been untouched.

I headed upstairs and placed it in the dresser and set my modified bag next to my bed.

"I think I'm going to get a head start on sleep..." I laid in my bed and slowly drifted into sleep.

Moments later I heard a voice again. It was the same voice as before. From my previous dreams...

"Welcome back." The voice said as I jumped up and looked around.

I then turned around to see a large female alicorn with a bright white coat and a mane that flowed beautifully and looked as if it was made of gold.

"Hello, Leon" The mare said.


[End Of Chapter]