• Published 20th Aug 2015
  • 423 Views, 1 Comments

The Magician, and Her Timid Assistant- a Genetic Research story - peacevic



Trixie and Fluttershy go to the Griffin Kingdom together

  • ...
 1
 423

Chapter 1

Ch. 1

Fluttershy thought it was very nice of her friends to come to the train station to see her off like this.
Even if two of them could hardly stand to be around each other.
Rainbow Dash didn't find it so nice. "Are you two still mad at each other? Come on, we're supposed to be saying goodbye to Fluttershy!"
"Unlike some ponies, I can understand what you mean to say. Rarity retorted, pointedly not looking at Applejack. "So I won't take offense to the insensitive way you said it."
Applejack had no problem looking at her antagonist. "Well unlike some ponies, I can apologize when I've done something wrong. Sorry, RD."
"Don't apologize to me!" Dash bristled. "Apologize to Fluttershy! We're all supposed to be here for her."
"Umm, actually... I don't really think you need to apologize. It's okay." Fluttershy looked down, saying it more to her hooves than to ponies around her. She hated it when her friends fought with each other.
Rarity didn't seem to hear her. "Hmph! I'm very busy right now, so if you'll excuse me, I'll take my leave." Rarity gave Fluttershy a hug and left.
"Can you believe her?" Applejack exclaimed as they watched Rarity walk towards her boutique.
"You're not exactly helping the situation." Twilight pointed out. "And Rainbow right. We're here for Fluttershy."
Now that the focus of her ire was out of the immediate area, Applejack could see things a bit clearer. She rubbed her neck sheepishly. "I really am sorry, 'Shy. I shouldn't let this thing with Rarity ruin your trip."
"Oh, it's okay Applejack." Fluttershy put a hoof on her friend's shoulder. "I know you and Rarity don't have any ill-will for me, and I'm sure that by the time I get back you two will have solved your problem."
Applejack looked doubtingly at her, but otherwise accepted her reassurance. Then the earth pony stomped a hoof as she remembered something. Oh yeah, I meant to ask you something."
"What is it, Applejack?"
"Trixie has returned!" Announced a voice from behind them. Sure enough, when they turned around the blue unicorn was standing there. She was posed with both forelegs raised, a big smile on her face. "And all of Ponyville trembled at her coming!"
"Hey Trixie." AJ said through a face-hoof.
Trixie trotted to join them. "Hey Step-mom." She smirked as the others giggled at that. Applejack just groaned. "So, did you ask them?"
"I was about to when you made your grand entrance."
"Then prepare to be upstaged!" Trixie didn't let AJ's deadpan deter her. "As I, Trixie... ask Fluttershy if Trixie can come with her on her trip,"
Everypony's jaw dropped, with the exception of Applejack, who knew beforehoof what she was going to ask. After a few seconds, Fluttershy found her tongue. "You want to come with me? Why?"
"Trixie has scheduled a show in the Griffin Kingdom. So when Applejack told Trixie that you were also traveling there at the same time, Trixie thought it would be a good way to get to know one of Trixie's step-mom's friends."
Applejack groaned again, lifting a hoof to her heart.
Fluttershy looked to her friends uncertainly, but they were just as perplexed as she was. "Umm... I guess it's okay. If you really want to."
"Outstanding!" Trixie grabbed Fluttershy by the hoof and led her to a train car. "So long, Step-mom!"
Fluttershy could hear AJ shout as she stepped onto the train, a loud, plaintive wail. Despite herself, she smiled. It was kind of funny.
"Clear the way! The Great and Powerful Trixie needs to get to her seat!" Even though it was more forceful than Fluttershy would've liked, Trixie's method managed to part the sea of ponies so they could find their compartment.
A few minutes after they got settled, the train started to move. As always, a food cart came to take their orders. Fluttershy found it somewhat odd when her companion only asked for a few smoothies. For her part, Fluttershy got a salad and looked out the window as she enjoyed it.
The scenery passing by was simply breath-taking. Fluttershy had never had an opportunity to travel to the homeland of the griffins, so she'd never seen this part of Equestria. She wondered what kind of animals made their homes in the area...
Then she thought of the griffins themselves and frowned. Gilda had left a pretty bad impression on her, and even though Pinkie and Rainbow Dash told her that Gilda had changed for the better, they also told her that most of the other griffins were a lot like she was back then. Fluttershy had a feeling that this was going to be a difficult trip.
Trixie noticed her frowning and set down her second smoothie. "Fluttershy, can Trixie ask you a question?"
"What's your question?" Fluttershy could've made a joke about how the unicorn already had, but she'd never liked that joke. It always seemed foalish. Rainbow Dash liked it, though.
"Applejack has told Trixie that you're not the most... wander-lustful pony. So why are you going to the Griffin Kingdom?"
Fluttershy leaned forward, excitedly. "I've been asked to oversee the establishment of a brand-new animal sanctuary!"
"You?" Trixie seemed incredulous.
"Oh, yes." Fluttershy nodded. "Princess Celestia knows how good I am with animals. So when she recieved a letter from the griffins, asking to send a wildlife expert to help them, she appointed me!"
Trixie stroked her chin. "Trixie begins to understand..."
"I just can't wait to see all the different kinds of critters that live there." Fluttershy hugged herself, her eyes closed, though in her mind she was snuggling with some fluffball or another. Then she remembered that she wasn't alone and grinned in embarrassment. "I'm sorry, I kind of forgot myself."
"Far be it from Trixie to deny anypony an air hug. Just so long as you don't start squealing."
Trixie raised her smoothie again and Fluttershy chuckled uncomfortably at herself. She had actually been about to start doing just that.
Things were quiet for a while in the compartment.