• Published 19th Aug 2015
  • 429 Views, 1 Comments

Harmony's Roots - Alicetheoneandonly



The quirky's pink mare's beginnings in ponyville.

  • ...
0
 1
 429

(1)Not what was expected

Shadows covered the rotting walls as they scurried on through passing to and from, no sound emitting from them leaving the room to its silence. When could it have been the last time she heard a voice? A week? A month? More? The only thing to remind the pink maned disaster of time passing would be the occasional moments when she would pass out of exhaustion. She had no contact with the outside world, no contact with anyone, no self-gratification in making someone smile. When the food did come, on the times she was awake for its delivery, she would bellow out a salutation to the fellow hoping he or she would hear through the padded locked door. He or she must not hear well, for he or she never answers. Despite that she still tried on.

Pinkamena Diane Pie was her name, and she had not always been in this situation. Long before this torturous time, she had been in an even more torturous life that consisted of going to her elementary school, coming home, work in her mother’s garden, eat, then sleep. Nothing new ever happened, and Pinkamena never tried to correct the norm. It was all on repeat. That is, until after a light rain painted the sky with the brightest of rainbows. That day was the one day the little mare smiled. Though as fast and unexpected as it came, it soon left everyone’s memories; so much so that no one remembered of it afterward. Like it never existed.

The pain of knowing that there is something out there that can make her smile began to stab at her. How could she reach it with her life on repeat? She had to make her own life worth it. But how can she when she doesn’t even know what was that that made her smile.

That was all in the past though, her parents didn’t understand the new and hyperactive Pinkamena and dubbed her insane. She brightened her mane to a lighter pink styling it up, and slapped on a smile that intimidated the gloomy town. With this change and newfound happiness, came the price of living in denial in which wouldn’t allow her to face the truth that her parents abandoned her. “I’m sure momma will be here to pick me up, and we will have great parties and play games and-“ she would blabber on with no pause until she is out of breath.

Eventually her words would no longer hold hope, and she was left behind a wall that would allow words escape her withholding any emotion behind them.

Once more she was in a cycle put on repeat.


As if the world grew tired of watching her from behind closed door, she was soon graced with access to another being. The door that allowed food in, swung open. "Hello, my name is Ärztin and I have been watching you for some time." The white mare with a tied back pure white mane said resting her ruby red eyes on a clipboard she suspended in midair with her unicorn magic.

"Hertsin? That's a weird name, what does it mean? Does it-" she wanted to take advantage of finally seeing someone other than the empty void of nothing, though her lungs would not allow her to. So she began to cough up air as if she choked on it. All the while the white mare with the sophisticated name ignored her coughing fit, never laying her gaze on the other.

"Ja, it specifically means female doctor." she said after hearing Pinkie's coughing subside.

"Why are you here? I'm not sick, is mommy sick? Did daddy finally kick the can? What does kick the can mean? And why did mommy say he was going to kick the can sooner or later? What did the poor can ever do to-" once more Pinkie found herself interrupted, this time by Ärztin. With a raise of her hoof, she finally allowed her eyes to trail to Pinkie's eyes.

"I am not here for blabber; I am only here to break the news that, despite your hyperactive personality and odd reaction towards an insanity inducing situation, you are titled not mentally insane and are allowed out a freemare." The cold words echoed through the small room and dug into the pink one's ears, excavating into her brain to allow them to be properly processed.

"Th-they thought I was insane..." Pinkamena said her eyes showing disbelief as she finally allowing the words reach her mind.

"Yes, that is why you are here."

"They a-abandoned me here?" she continued, tears swelling in her eyes.

"I wouldn't say abandoned, more of allowed you to stay under the care of well-trained doctors. They thought you were sick, and worried for you." Despite the poor choice of words, Ärztin was given a smile in response.

"Yea... Mommy and daddy worried for me... thank you Hertsin." she said nodding, getting on her hooves she trotted slowly to the other.

"Ärztin(ær-tzin)...." she corrected but Pinkamena never noticed. The pink mare’s thoughts circled on the fact that she had been abandoned by her family in this horrible place. Just because she smiled. Just because she choose to do something diffirent. To break the sorrowful cycle. With a sigh the nurse handed Pinkamena a box, “you seem to react well with music. It has often cheered you more than we thought was your limit. I expect you to take this along to be well,” she said allowing herself the privilege to smile faintly for once. Pinkamena, already smiling, bounced with glee taking the box and instantly opening it. At the second it was fully open a pony doll bounced up from its hiding and danced in a twirl silhouetted by streamers that, despite the still doll, flowed and twirled with the movement of the doll; a song playing lightly holding no words. “I call this piece No Fear; a friend had bought it for me to give to my child; if and when I ever do decide to have my own filly, which I won’t. You, in honesty, have been the closest to a child I have ever received. Your case was just too much for me not to find you so intriguing.”

“Did you make a song for it?” Pinkamena smiled leaving the box opened, mesmerized by the little doll’s dance.

“I did not”

“It sounds nice, and she looks so happy. Like she is laughing, No fear, huh?”

“Ja, because of the upbeat tempo and smiling doll, almost like she is laughing at whatever may cause fear.”

“Giggling at the ghosties!” she pepped up at the words Ärztin had given. With a nod of her head she turned back to the hall that could lead to freedom.

“We must leave now, before lockdown night watch.” She began out believing that the mare would follow, which she did. “Lockdown night watch is what it sounds like, this hospital had employed tough security for the night shift so no danger could come to both the doctors employed for night shift or full day shifts, or the patients.” She said after a brief pause knowing that silence from the pink mare means she is in a state of confusion.

“Have you ever had the night shift?” Pinkamena asked the guiding doctor, stuck in awe at the new information. She was never let out of her cell, and so didn’t know the hospital ever changed.

“They couldn’t pay me enough to, I actually do have a life outside these steel doors you know.” Ärztin said almost immediately after hearing the question. “I was almost caught into nightshift when I didn’t hurry out of here, but a friend who works the shift allowed me to leave.” As they turned the corner, the world around them began to grow brighter; with each step that passed the scent of the world that once shut her out, enveloped Pinkamena.

“It’s so bright outside,” exclaimed Pinkamena as she raised her eyes to meet the wide open door letting in the welcoming world.

“Not as much as yesterday, it is summer after all.”

“Look a bird!” she ignored the doctor’s comment. Upon reaching the doorway, the tiny mare stopped dead in her tracks, shaking as her eyes grew wide.

“Is there something wrong miss Pie?” Ärztin had questioned the other as she turned to see her still inside. The reaction was a bit odd as most of her patients allowed freedom, literally jump out the doors.

“No, I just want to savor this moment” She took two steps back and jumped out landing near the albino and startled her.

“Wha-?! Oh, you had frightened me!” she said holding up with her magic a bottle she instinctively pulled out.

“Goodbye then Hertsin! I won’t forget you!” Pinkamena hopped by her never noticing the white mare’s reaction. After a few trots she stopped and turned her head to question, “Why don’t you want to have a filly of your own?”

“I,” she began surprised at the other’s inquiries, “I never believed I’d ever become a good mother after seeing so many make mistakes with their own. Why does it matter?” Pinkamena smiled brightly and turned back to the direction she planned on taking.

“You’d make a perfect mom, I would know!” With that she trotted away, leaving the doctor behind only questioning how she is able to make good of a situation that just feels so wrong. One thing is for sure, she changed the mind of the reclusive doctor.

Author's Note:

This was made before maud's introduction, so sorry if this is canonically wrong. I've had this saved for a while and decided to share it.