• Published 18th Aug 2015
  • 1,478 Views, 22 Comments

Battery - RockStarMLP



A new trial of challenges faces the Sparkle family

  • ...
5
 22
 1,478

Chapter 2: Road to Recovery

Princess Celestia was sitting on her throne discussing matters with members of the Royal Guard. Apparently, a recent request by the Princess required more than she had originally thought was intended, and was making sure that her mistaken foresight would be fixed for the better of her guards and her intentions. When one of her guards concluded speaking, she found herself unable to say anything when a letter magically appeared in front of her. Knowing the means of how she received this letter, it was without question that it was sent by Spike's magic fire breath.

"Excuse me for a moment, gentlemen," Celestia told the guards, who did not argue. She used her magic to open the scroll and read what was written. But the more she read, the more her face turned to a combination of panic and despair.

"Your Highness," one of the guards said, "is something wrong?"

"Yes," Celestia replied firmly, rolling the scroll back up with her magic. "Gather however many available guards you have and report to Ponyville at once. There are those at Night Stone Castle to be arrested immediately."

"Yes, Your Majesty," the same guard answered, and the group of soldiers left. All but one.

"Wait, Lieutenant," the Princess said, stopping the only lieutenant, a gray pegasus, in his tracks.

"Yes, Princess?"

"I need you to report to the Canterlot Police at once. Inform one of the detectives there, Detective Benson, to meet me outside the castle gates at once," Celestia ordered. The guard saluted, and immediately rushed off. With that, she pulled up a blank scroll and a writing quill to begin writing a reply. She began to recite what she needed to write as she began to use her magic to have the quill start writing.

"My dear Spike,

"Thank you for informing me of this emergency. Please let Twilight know that help is on the way at once, but I need you to relay a message to my sister and Princess Cadance..."

/)∞(\

Nurse Redheart opened the door into the waiting room Twilight was in. It was a while since she left to talk to other doctors, and since then the alicorn appeared that she's been walking in the same circular path, as shown by the worn out floor.

"Princess Twilight?" she said, catching her attention.

"Yes? Is everything alright?" Twilight asked, hoping for good news.

The nurse gave no expression as she replied. "Nyx is still in surgery, and will be for a longer time. Doctors are looking over all her injuries as we speak, so we'll know if any damage was made permanent." Even though the purple mare looked down in sadness, the nurse gave a small smile. "In the mean time, you have some visitors who would like to join you."

The door opened wider to reveal the five most familiar mares and one faithful dragon Twilight was happy to see: her friends. Rainbow Dash led them all into the room, and the group immediately surrounded the alicorn at all sides with concerned and worried looks. Rainbow and Spike got to her first, and both gave her a hug, which she gave in return. Before anypony could say anything, Redheart spoke again and said "I'll leave you for now, but a doctor will come by to check on your own health, Princess." With that, she left and shut the door behind her.

Twilight put her attention towards her friends and said "How did you all know that..."

"Rainbow Dash flew around Ponyville as fast as possible to tell us all to meet her here," Rarity explained. "The moment she told us what happened to you and poor Nyx, we burst through the front doors. I regret to say that the front clerk fell out of her seat, and looking quite annoyed when getting back up."

"Twilight, how is she? How are you? Was anything broken?" Spike asked, with tears glistening in his eyes.

Twilight looked down at the little dragon with the strongest face she could possibly express. "I'm fine, Spike. Nyx is in surgery right now," she told him.

"That's what the nurse told us on our way to you," Applejack stated. "It shook down my spine fierce when I heard that."

"I just can't believe all those ponies hurt Nyx," Fluttershy said sadly. "How long has the poor dear been in surgery?"

Twilight bowed her head and shut her eyes. "I don't know," she replied. "I lost track of the time since I got here, but it's felt like far too long. What the doctors said when she was rushed in, all of the injuries she has, I... I-"

Pinkie Pie wrapped a leg around the purple mare's neck for comfort, and unintentionally interrupting her. "Don't you worry about a thing, Twilight. Nyx is a super fightin' little filly. She'll come out of this just fine and be surprised with a 'We're All Glad You're Okay' party!"

"Pinkie, now is not the time to worry about throwing a party," Rarity said to the pink pony.

"I know, silly. That's for after we make sure Nyx comes out of this just fine and make sure those nasty ponies get nowhere near her again," Pinkie said, leaving everypony in the room a little taken aback. They didn't expect her to just jump shift from party master to caring best friend; then again, they're both qualities of the same actions for her. She put her focus back on Twilight and said "Now you tell your little filly's Aunt Pinkie Pie who hurt her so bad that they have a bite of my party cannon."

"Pinkie Pie!" Practically everypony in the room yelled that, saving Twilight who was just stunned, and Spike as he just shook his head. Rainbow, however, was on the agreeing side with the party pony.

"Those ponies deserve a few good blasts from a cannon if you ask me- right in the direction those Changelings went off to," the cyan pegasus said angrily. "There is no reason grown ponies should hurt a filly like that. If I had my way I'd buck every one of them square in the face. With brass horseshoes."

"Take it easy, Rainbow," Applejack told her. "We're all as upset as you but it's not draggin' yourself down to their levels."

"Oh come on, AJ. You'd buck them in two if it was Apple Bloom being beaten on like-"

"Stop it, Rainbow," Twilight said firmly, interrupting her friend. She didn't want to hear any arguing, not now. "I don't need to hear that right now. All I care about is Nyx being okay." Her firm tone faded into a depressive volume.

"We all do," Fluttershy said softly, "and that's why we're here. We're all worried about her."

"I couldn't agree more, and we will not leave your side during this terrible time," Rarity added. "Nyx is important to all of us, and we'll do whatever we can for her, and her family."

The alicorn managed to crack a small smile and allowed herself to cry some. "Thank you girls," she said. "I knew I couldn't handle this without you, and Nyx could use her aunts and friends, too."

Pinkie, still having a leg around Twilight's neck, pulled her in for a caring Pinkie Pie-grade hug. Most of the group surrounded the two and joined in on the hug as well, but not Rainbow Dash. She hesitated to move, continuing to think about that group of disgraceful ponies, and what they did to put everyone in the hospital at that moment.

"Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow had herself facing away from her friends as she kept herself in her thoughts, but Twilight's voice broke through. Keeping herself hidden didn't work for as long as she desired, but for more than just those ponies on her mind. She had a greater grievance on her mind that she was trying to keep inside, and out of sight. " I should've done something sooner..." When she finally decided to turn around, the ponies saw not just anger in her eyes, but what looked to be her own sadness.

"What?" Spike asked.

Fluttershy followed with "Rainbow Dash, what's-"

"I didn't stop those ponies sooner. I should've taken out Silver Lining before things went that wrong. I'm supposed to be loyal to my friends, and what did I let happen?" She began to break out into some anger. "I let Nyx get hurt! I let my niece get trampled like a bug! Why didn't I do anything sooner? Maybe we wouldn't be here right now. Maybe-"

The pegasus then found herself being pulled by a lavender shade of magic, right in front of Twilight. The alicorn spoke to her with the most understanding and caring voice she could allow herself to make.

"Rainbow Dash, you can't blame yourself for what happened. You have absolutely nothing to blame yourself for because none of this is your fault. If anything, this is my fault for not being more protective of Nyx-"

"But I was the one who told you about them, and led you and Nyx right to them," Rainbow interrupted. "If I didn't do that-"

Twilight then interrupted her with "If you didn't find us and informed me of what was happening, then they could have found a way to find Nyx themselves. Silver Lining put all his focus on finding us and do exactly what he did no matter how our paths would have crossed. But that's not important right now, Rainbow Dash.

"What matters right now is that we hope for the best for Nyx, and that she has us by her side. She needs us, and I need you and everypony, so stop blaming yourself over something you had no responsibility with, please. For her, and for me."

The cyan pegasus just showed a flinching expression for a moment, not saying a word. Instead, she let herself get 'sappy,' as she would call it, and let out some tears she had built up in her eyes. She then leaned her head down onto Twilight's shoulder, and wrapped a leg around her neck.

"I'm sorry," she said sadly. "I just wish this didn't happen."

"I know, Dashie. Me too," replied the alicorn, who leaned her head against her friend, as well as wrap a leg around her neck. The entire group shared the hug together, all of them sad for the reason they were there, but happy that they were together to help support the Princess and her daughter.

When the hug broke off, they all tried to make themselves comfortable; sitting in a chair, laying on the floor, standing on their hooves, whatever made themselves most comfortable. Most of them tended to change their positions from time to time as they continued to wait, but not Twilight, who remained sitting on the room's loveseat the entire time. This was partially forced because of Rainbow Dash, who sat next to her without getting up once, refusing to leave her friend's side after everything. At the same time, they needed each other for the most support.

But unknown to Twilight were Rainbow's particular feelings that have been left an unshared secret among the group, but shared among friends from beyond Equestria's borders.

All of them failed to recognize the time. What felt like hours were in reality minutes, and it made time feel like it had stopped in place. It took over two hours before the door into the room had opened, and Doctor Monitor had stepped inside.

"Your Highness?"

Twilight sat up onto her hooves and met the doctor halfway between the door and the loveseat, gazing him with worried eyes. This was where she feared that where she hoped for the best would result in the worst, and she didn't know if she could handle the latter. She saw him levitating a clipboard with slips of paper and a large envelope, ideal for holding x-rays, held onto it. There was only a couple seconds of silence that passed before he began to speak.

"I am here to inform you that Nyx is currently out of surgery as of fifteen minutes ago. Needless for me to say that you are very lucky to get her to us when you did."

"How is she, Doctor? Will she be alright?" Twilight asked.

Dr. Monitor took a deep breath before going over the paperwork he had. "I was not part of the surgery myself, but all of our available doctors and surgeons were there to mend your daughter. Both of her wings were torn at the base line and bent out of shape, which were truthfully the worst parts of her condition. We did find several spots of broken or fractured bones around her body; a couple ribs, her front left leg, and fractured areas all around underneath the most revealing bruises. One of her ears, however, looked to have been torn at one of the tips by over one inch, and her right eye took a hoof directly to it. Anything else, fortunately, was minor injuries to put it best, and she was incredibly lucky to not have any significant damage to her organs."

"But how is she already?!"

All eyes turned around to Rainbow Dash, who made that exclamation. It was indeed what was on everypony's mind, but it still didn't need to be shouted out like that, even if Twilight wanted to do the same. The alicorn maintained what little composure she had to ask herself "Doctor, is she going to be okay?"

"Well, Princess Twilight, it will require some time," he replied. He then began to show a reassuring smile as he continued with "But she is expected to recover from her injuries; some faster than others, of course. Her wings will require some physical therapy, but they should be as good as new if healed correctly. I should add that it's fortunate her horn was only scratched or she would be without magic as well as flight. Then again, I saw nothing in her paperwork about her flight capabilities, but that's off the topic. The point is, Your Highness-"

"She's going to be okay! She's going to be okay!" Pinkie Pie chanted.

The doctor chuckled, and then concluded what he was trying to say. "Yes, Nyx will be alright."

Relief felt as if it crashed down onto the group like a tidal wave, especially on the Sparkle family and Rainbow Dash. This was the news that would bring peace to the horrible, horrible day. Twilight looked at the doctor to say "Thank you, Doctor, and many thanks to your fellow doctors as well. May we go see her?"

"Of course you can," Doctor Monitor replied. "She is still resting right now so you won't find her awake until the spell used to leave her unconscious, but that should wear off in a matter of hours, depending on how she recovers. I'm also afraid that I cannot allow all of you to go at once; only a few at a time is allowed. The rest of your friends will have to wait until visiting hours tomorrow, but as you are her mother, you are permitted to stay as long as you wish."

"That's alright with us. We're just glad Nyx will be fine," Applejack said.

"Of course," added Rarity. "Besides, I feel we should get our little Cutie Mark Crusaders and tell them what's going on. We'll bring them by tomorrow after class."

"Good thinkin'. I didn't even think of that," the orange mare said. The Crusaders didn't even come to mind before to her surprise; the fillies were all best friends after all.

"We should get going then," Fluttershy said, making her way towards the door, but not without stopping next to Twilight first. "Is there anything more we can do for you, Twilight?"

"Not really," the alicorn replied. "You've done so much by being here with me. Thank you, girls. You're the best friends I could have ever asked for."

"We know," Pinkie said flatly, but amusingly. "That's because you're one of the same."

All of the girls and Spike shared another group hug before the majority of visitors made their way out the door; all but Rainbow Dash. Twilight looked down at Spike and motioned the two to follow the doctor to Nyx's room. It wasn't until she was one hoof out the door when she noticed the pegasus standing still in the room by the loveseat, where she was since the doctor came in.

"Rainbow? Why aren't you going home?"

Rainbow hesitated to answer, mostly worried that she'd get another 'sappy' explanation that she didn't need to stick around. Regardless of what Twilight had said before, she still felt like she should be around for her friend.

"Twi," she finally said, "I know what you said, but I still want to... I mean, I feel like I should... if it's fine with you, I... I want to check on Nyx, too, just to see for myself."

Giving a gentle smile, Twilight walked back to her. She opened up one of her wings and wrapped it around Rainbow's back. "Of course you can. Thank you." That was all she said before the two mares and little dragon walked out of the waiting room. As they were on their way to Nyx's room, Twilight failed to noticed her friend's cyan's face starting to glow a new shade of red.

/)∞(\

In a private hospital room, a little black filly was resting on her bed, with multiple needles poked into her front legs. On the left leg was an IV of fluids that kept her blood cleansed and blood cells in higher count, and another needle with a pad that monitored her pulse rate. On the right leg was only one needle, connected to an IV bag of water to keep her hydrated until she would wake up out of the unconscious spell. The filly's overall appearance was dreadful with all the bandages wrapped around various parts of her body, and the bruises that showed around her body, but as she continued to sleep, she looked peaceful.

Peaceful; a description that some wouldn't normally think of if in Twilight's position. The moment Doctor Monitor opened the door into the room, Nyx was shown laying in her bed asleep, resting from the surgery she had just undergone. The purple mare kept some control of her speed as she walked up to Nyx's side, her eyes teared up as she nuzzled the side of the filly's face, and then gave her a kiss on the forehead.

Rainbow Dash and Spike followed her to the bed, standing at the same side and looking down at the resting filly. The Doctor closed the door behind him, not before telling the group to inform him if anything was needed, and left them be. Following that, Twilight looked around to find something soft, and found a spare pillow that she used her magic to set on the floor under her and sit on. She placed herself right next to Nyx, allowing her head to rest down on the bed whenever she would choose, but for now, she just remained seated, looking down at her daughter with much relief. All of them just stayed in their places for a long while, just watching the little pony rest, until one of them spoke up.

"It's crazy, isn't it?" Twilight turned her head from her daughter to the pegasus, who had taken a seat on the floor next to her. "Nyx has to deal with ponies like that almost daily, but she toughs it out every time. She'll never give up on herself, and always try to stand tall." She paused, thinking about the mare partially responsible for the filly's attitude. "Yeah, she really is your daughter."

Twilight was slightly taken aback by that comment. Normally the cyan mare would be sarcastic or humorous when it came to jokes like that, but with how she was acting since arriving at the hospital, it could have been read as seriousness. "What are you saying about Nyx, and for the matter, about me?"

"Nyx is strong and will strife through this to the end. She's a tough little filly; tough like her mother." She let herself stop for a moment, a dramatic pause to allow Twilight to hear and absorb what she just said. She meant every word of it sincerely, but for the sake of having a sliver of humor try to make things a little more postive in the atmosphere, she added "Nyx is also smart like you, too. I guess that makes eggheadedness run in your family."

The alicorn blinked at first, and then started to chuckle, her hoof covering her lips. Rainbow's personality and humor was never always the kindest, but it was truthful and articulated in her sense that made it meaningful. The 'egghead' comment may have been one she's heard for years, but it stopped being an insult a long time ago and more of a compliment, which she appreciated. After letting out her chuckle, she laid her hoof down gently on Nyx's forehead.

"She is a tough little 'egghead,'" Twilight said. "I'm just glad it's not as worse as it could be." She paused, allowing the images of worst case scenarios to appear in her mind. It only lasted a moment after shaking them away. "I'm going to stay here and wait for when Nyx wakes up. Spike, Rainbow Dash, you can go home and wait until I-"

"No way," interrupted Spike. "I'm not going anywhere until I know Nyx wakes up and is fine."

"That goes for me, too," added Rainbow Dash.

Knowing that there was no worth arguing, Twilight just smiled and said "Alright. Thank you."

And from there they waited. It was mostly silent so that they wouldn't disturb Nyx, with an occasional comment here and there from anyone. Two different nurses came in to check on the filly, each stating that those outside of the family, more specifically Rainbow Dash, were staying past allowed visiting hours, but Twilight told them both that the pegasus was indeed family, and requested available pillows for all three to have and rest on. The first nurse honored the request and the other brought them to the room, allowing the baby dragon a comfortable place to pass out on when his body decided to go on 'automatic rest,' as Rainbow joked.

Twilight didn't move from her position once, even when the nurses visited. She sat in the same place next to her daughter's bed, sitting on her pillow and her body refusing to budge. She held onto the hope that the worst of everything was over, and hoped much more that Nyx would wake up without pain.

Rainbow Dash, however, did not fair well in terms of getting rest. She walked around and hovered in the air for a while to give her body a stretch, and then decided to get some rest on her pillow. As for her mental state, it did not slow down, and it resulted in not being able to get a slumbering state like Nyx. Her head looked as if she was resting, but behind her closed eyes were visions of what had happened, and how she's seen Twilight.

Twilight...

The last several months have been a whirlwind of thoughts regarding Equestria's newest princess. She couldn't think of exactly why - or didn't want to think of why - but there were these strange feelings that began to stir in the pit of her stomach; the feeling of being smitten, in admiration for, having a crush on somepony. It was accidentally let out during the Equestria Games with non-pony friends, but she was better at keeping her feelings to herself since. Since those feelings began, she found herself at the library more often, outside of when she met with everypony there or was dragged in by her- the royal egghead, and spending more time with Nyx and all the Crusaders rather than Scootaloo a lot of times. The pegasus and alicorn's time together made their friendship even stronger, as would any time with anypony else, but for Rainbow Dash, she felt that taking affect a lot more than she could admit.

Rainbow couldn't deny that she liked Twilight more than just a friend; she was smitten by her. With this ordeal in place, it hurt her more than anything that the Sparkle family was having to deal with such a tragedy, and she didn't want to leave them and not be constantly supportive. She may be the Element of Loyalty, but she felt her loyalty exceeding what she's been before, and part of her started to fear that. So far she has played it cool, but there were limits, except to her awesomeness and flying of course, and she didn't want to go so far that she would ruin not just the bond she has with Twilight, but with everypony else as well.

"Rainbow Dash..."

The cyan mare looked up to see Twilight. Right next to her, the purple mare had her head crooked down to eye level. This caught Rainbow off guard, seeing that the mother of the ailing filly accidentally left her position, to come to her. Her magenta eyes shrank to nearly nothing as she just stared back stunned.

"Rainbow, are you okay? You haven't said a thing for hours and I saw you squirming. I was wondering if..."

The knock of a door interrupted Twilight before she could finish. The mare began to feel annoyed with everypony and their mothers getting interrupted for one reason or another, but collected herself before using magic to open the door. When the door was opened enough, a taller, white pony stood on the other side. Standing right there and then starting to walk in was Princess Celestia, who looked as elegant as ever, but a sign of great concern that was shown with her eyes.

"Celestia," Twilight said, both shocked and relieved, "you're here?"

"I am," Celestia replied. "I got here as quick as I was allowed. I'm sorry that I haven't arrived sooner." She walked up towards her peer and leaned her neck down to nuzzle with Twilight. "How is Nyx?"

Twilight gave a brief summary of how the filly was doing. She tried to explain what exactly happened, but Celestia dismissed that necessity when she reminded them that she received the letter from Spike.

"This is indeed a terrible circumstance. I was aware that ponies were still resentful towards Nyx, but to go as far as violence..." Celestia paused, bowing her head as if she was defeated. "I did not expect my subjects to retaliate at these lengths. How many did you believe were a part of this rally, Twilight?"

"Two dozen at least, perhaps three, other than Silver Lining," twilight replied. "I didn't take the time to count."

"I see," the white alicorn replied back. She then took a look at Nyx before continuing with "Twilight, you are aware of most Equestrian laws for criminal action, correct?" Her former student nodded as Rainbow Dash arched an eyebrow in curiosity.

"I am sure you are already aware that the protestors will stand trial for their crimes, but seeing as this involves your family - a Royal family - it automatically moves the case from civil court to the Royal Court in Canterlot. Silver Lining and his followers will have their first hearings here in Ponyville before the Guards transfer them to Canterlot. However, before any of that, there are officers who will need to look into the matter; the Special Victims division."

Twilight couldn't help herself to look depressed. That very division of law enforcement that she forbade Nyx from learning too much about, now having to be called to their aide and show Nyx what those officers deal with in more definitive ways. She didn't like the thought of it, but it was what was needed at the moment, so the purple mare could only do what she could with it.

She looked up at Celestia and asked "When do they have to begin? Don't they need to talk to Nyx directly?"

"Yes, but I already have somepony who will handle things," Celestia said.

Before she could say anything else, the sounds of other voices were heard outside the room. They were too muffled behind the closed door to hear specifically what was being said, but it seemed that there was one trying to stop several from making their way down the hall, with a couple voices arguing back. It wasn't until they were near the door that words were better to understand.

"For the last time, you're not allowed in private rooms. Leave now or I'll have to place you under arrest."

"How dare you try to arrest the Doctor. He's come all the way here to help."

"And was recommended by those who know your Princesses know quite well."

"I don't care who he is exactly. He's not a part of the Royal family and is NOT allowed in!"

"I've come here to do what is needed, so I'd like to see you try and stop-"

Celestia used her magic to open the closed door, revealing four very different figures. The only one she could easily recognize was the one pony among them, as the other three were clearly not Equestrian. The being that stood right in front of the door was a tall creature with an egg-shaped body, a head with a bald cranium and a wildly long red mustache, who had to bow down in order to step into the room. Following him here two shorter beings like him, except without fur and more metallic bodies; one taller and colored gold, and the other shorter with a silver color. They stood on each side of the tallest figure, and the aforementioned pony entered around them.

The pony was a pegasus mare that wore a collared shirt and a brown coat, both three-quarter sleeve-length. She had a shade of blue that was just a couple tones darker than Rainbow Dash, a wavy mane and tail that were both a brunette color with the former in a ponytail, and emerald green eyes. Her cutie mark was a gray-colored shield of the Royal Guard with a pink heart in the center. On her coat was a badge with the same shape of the cutie mark's shield, brightly colored with Royal Guard colors with her identity across the near bottom.

Once she had entered the room, the pegasus addressed Celestia. "I'm very sorry, Your Highness. I ordered them to not enter several times, but I'll place them under arrest immediately."

The Princess raised her hoof to stop the pegasus. "It is alright, Detective," Celestia said. "This person wouldn't be here if they did not have a good reason. Besides, he is an acquaintance of Princess Twilight's, if I'm not mistaken."

"I... N- I mean yes, yes he is," Twilight replied, stuttering from the surprise of new visitors. Her attention turned to focus on the tallest of the new visitors, and then said "I haven't seen you since we met on Mobius weeks ago. I'm afraid your last name escapes, Doctor..."

"Eggman," he corrected. "Dr. Eggman, at your service." He then held up what appeared to be a metal briefcase in his hand.

"Service?" Rainbow asked.

Dr. Eggman nodded with a grunt, and then turned to face the white alicorn. "I believe it was you that sent a message to some colleagues of mine from one of your sources; Spike, if I'm correct, was the messenger." The little dragon stood in his place proudly, rubbing his knuckles against his chest as a small boasting gesture. "There was a letter sent with information regarding one of your subjects that was in critical condition. Naturally they turned to me in order to assist with my egg-ceptional expertise."

"You are from Team JAG," Celestia said.

"Yes, Your Highness," he confirmed. His eye then caught the sight of the unconscious filly. "I am safe to believe that this is where I am needed, so with your consent I would like to start before waiting any longer."

"I may grant you that permission, but I'm afraid it isn't my place to approve of your actions," Celestia replied, motioning to her former student. "Nyx is Twilight's daughter, so of course she has the final say."

The purple alicorn hesitated. Although she and her friends were associated much closer to Team JAG than most of Equestria, she wouldn't just openly invite the help after what the hospital's doctors have already done. She looked up at the Doctor to ask "Dr. Eggman, what exactly do you plan to do to Nyx?"

He snapped his fingers, and held his briefcase out in front of him again. His two assistants, Decoe and Bocoe, took it from him and to Nyx's bedside opposite of where Twilight was sitting. As they opened it up to reveal its advanced technology within it, he explained his motives.

"This is a health monitor and rejuvenation system of my own creation. It will keep track and maintain Nyx's overall health and increase her healing process, so long as it has the proper energy source. Tails was kind enough to supply me with that."

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a gem that Twilight was most familiar with. Its shade of purple and bright glow of energy reminded her of when she first came across the item earlier that year. She took a good look at it and said what it was aloud- "That's one of the Chaos Emeralds."

"That is correct, Your Majesty," Bocoe said from behind her.

Decoe then added "Dr. Eggman's equipment will use the Chaos Emerald's energy to fix up Nyx in no time."

Before Twilight could say anymore, Dr. Eggman added "Tails and Cosmo were unable to bring this to you themselves, but they send their best wishes for your daughter. It was them who made the suggestion for me to come here and provide my services. If I'm not mistaken, they should be arriving to Ponyville within the next few minutes to see you and your friends." Without saying anything more, his attention turned to another pony.

The mare that tried to stop him from entering was giving him a cold stare. Her look gave the impression that she was not as open-minded to allowing the strangers to openly treat a patient, especially a filly, after ignoring her and forcefully letting themselves towards royalty. The longest reigning princess had noticed this during the conversation, and addressed the matter.

"It is alright, Detective. He means no harm to my family," Celestia said, and then turned back to her peer. "Twilight, I would not have called out to Team JAG if they did not prove to be valuable help. I hope you are alright with-"

"No, no, not at all," Twilight responded, accidentally interrupting her former teacher. Turning back to Eggman, she asked "And you're sure Nyx will be alright with this treatment?"

"You have my word, Princess," he replied.

She took a moment to consider this plan of action before making her final decision. "Very well, Doctor, you may do what you wish."

A grin hid behind his mustache as he said "I assure you that you will enjoy the results. Now if you excuse me..." He walked between Twilight and Rainbow Dash to make his way to his machines. The latter, who kept herself quiet as much as she could, leaned in to whisper to her crush's ear.

"Are you sure about this, Twilight? What if he's wrong and makes Nyx worse than before?" she asked.

"I'm not a hundred percent about his myself," Twilight whispered back, "but if Tails and Cosmo believe that he can help, then it's worth the chance. They've shown Nyx a lot of care since they met her and wouldn't do this unless they believed it could be helpful." She then turned to Celestia and said "Thank you," and then repeated that to Spike, but with a cheek-to-cheek nuzzle with him.

"Hey, I'm looking out for family. I'd like to say that I'm pretty darn good at it," Spike said after the nuzzling, to which the alicorn could only smile.

Although she didn't want to interrupt the moment, it was important to focus on matters that second in importance to Nyx. "I believe it is time for an introduction," she said, and then gestured her hoof towards the pegasus that gave Eggman the cold stare.

"Princess Twilight, Rainbow Dash and Spike, allow me to introduce Detective Benson. She is the finest officer of Equestria's Special Victims Unit, and the highest recommended for all child-related crimes; public and royal cases. I have personally hired her to lead in Nyx's case and see to it that the ponies responsible for their hanis actions receive the highest consequences deserved. Whatever is needed, she will assist you."

The detective stepped forward and kneeled before Twilight. "It is an honor to meet you, Princess Twilight," she said with great kindness and sympathy. "I am so sorry for what your family is going through."

Twilight responded with "Thank you, Detective. If Princess Celestia picked you personally, then I am sure Nyx has the best of help." The detective then stood back up straight on her hooves, only to have her attention diverted.

"So what is it you're going to do, exactly?" Rainbow Dash asked, having a tone of uncertain belief. "If you're not going to give those scum of ponies a good buck on each side of their faces like they deserve,..." Twilight put her leg up against her, and she turned to see two purple eyes stare at her disapprovingly, forcing her to stop.

Detective Benson focused on Rainbow and said "Well to start, I'll need to talk to you and Princess Twilight and ask about what happened. At the first available opportunity, I'll need to talk to Nyx as well, for a statement from the victim. When all the ponies involved in hurting Nyx are registered into the SVU, I will hear what they have to say for what they've done. The goal will be to make our case against the criminals before we go to court with all statements possible."

Only caring so much, the cyan mare said "And then what?" She made it seem that she was hell bent on seeing that ponies were to be punished, and she meant every word.

Twilight listened carefully as the detective explained further, nodding her head from time to time. From what she could understand, and with the knowledge gained from her studies, the legal process would not be too easy. Even an 'open-to-shut' case, as it was worded, like this would require a lot of patience and hard work to make a proper presentation. When the detective had finished, the purple mare addressed her with a question.

"Detective, how soon will you need to talk to Nyx?" All heads turned towards the mentioned filly, who was just connected to Eggman's yet-activated equipment.

"As I said, the sooner I get to speak to her, the better," Benson replied. "My goal is to make this case closed as quickly and easy as possible for you and your family. I'll need her quote to help make our case."

Celestia joined back into the conversation saying "I am certain that you'll have your opportunity soon enough." She then motioned towards where Dr. Eggman was and added "Am I correct, Doctor?"

"Of course," he replied, "and I must commend on your world's medical experts. This kid has been treated quite well, if I say so myself. Now, let's add a little interdimensional egg-ceptional know-how to it."

He grabbed the Chaos Emerald out of his pocket again, and then placed it in his contraption in the appropriate spot. After it was installed, he pressed a button that activated it, as shown with multiple different sounds coming from it, and the emerald glowing bright. Two IVs from the device that fed into Nyx's right arm began to show a glow as well, much dimmer than the emerald, as it began to treat the resting filly. The sound of a health monitor began when the glow had reached to the IV needles, and the Doctor grinned.

"The healing process has started," he stated. "It should only be a matter of hours before your daughter makes a full recovery, Twilight. Of course it would be best if I stayed close by to monitor the progress, rather by interdimensional means."

"Interdi-what?" Spike asked, confused. The concept of how different dimensions function was something he had yet to understand, or just give up trying for the most part.

"Interdimensional," explained Decoe. "It means that Dr. Eggman can do what he needs from his main laboratory remotely."

Bocoe followed that with "His machine was used for critical healing before, but under the care of those who know how to use it, thus he'd like to stay somewhere in Ponyville."

Celestia nodded in agreement. "I am sure we can find you some accommodations, Doctor. How close would you like to be to the hospital?"

"The closer the better," Eggman replied, "simple as that."

The princesses took a moment to think of their options, and Twilight was first to speak her idea. "The royal waiting room is vacant, and I doubt anypony would be using the entire area. You may rest in the main lounge, but the lower level remains off limits unless said otherwise. I will ask a nurse to provide all three of you whatever you may need, so long as it is within reason of course."

"That is a good idea, Twilight," Celestia said. "I do intend to speak to the doctors along with Detective Benson for better understanding of what they had to do with Nyx. The lower level is the ideal place for that." Her attention shifted over to the detective. "Does this work for you as well?"

"If it is what you want, then it's fine with me," Benson replied. "But for now, I'd like to speak to Rainbow Dash first for her statement on what happened. Afterwards I'll get Princess Twilight's. Miss Dash, if you would kindly follow me..."

"Will it be quick? I don't want to miss Nyx waking up," Rainbow said, with an arguing tone.

Detective Benson, maintaining a collective composure and trying not to instigate the mare further, only replied "It shouldn't be too long, but we'll have to be somewhere private."

"I'll request a place for you from the hospital staff, Detective," Celestia said, and motioned her hoof to the door that she used her magic to open for them. Benson gave her thanks before leading herself and her accompanying pegasus out, with the latter glancing back at Nyx. As the white alicorn began to make her exit, she turned her head towards Twilight and Spike to say "Twilight, if you need me for anything else, I'll be just down the hall."

The Princess of Friendship shook her head. "You've done so much already. I couldn't ask for more from you," she said, stepping up to her former teacher. She reached her head as far up as she could and nuzzled at Celestia's neck with a warm-hearted "Thank you," and the goddess gave a nuzzle in return. Celestia left the room with a kind smile, gently shutting the door behind her as she departed.

Twilight then walked back over to her spot beside her daughter, with Spike right next to her. She sat down on her pillow as he remained standing to look over the bedside with her. From the corner of his eye, he noticed how her smile shifted back into a frown as she looked down at Nyx. Spike couldn't help but follow suit, seeing his family in the shape they were in regardless of all the positive reinforcement was just given. He couldn't help but feel infuriated about everything, and it was taking all he had to keep that in control before his inner-dragon, his inner-rampaging-vengeful-dragon, would be let out on anypony of the wrongdoing. To make sure of that, he kept his supportive side first and foremost, not leaving his family's side to set the nearby jail in flames. As for Twilight, her mind knew of the brighter side that was promised out of that day, but her heart still felt as if it kept sinking every time Nyx and her current position came into sight.

"That's some kid."

The alicorn and dragon snapped out of their thoughts to look up and realize that they still had the company of Dr. Eggman and his two robots. Both began to feel a little embarrassed at the guilt of forgetting that, but Twilight kept herself collected as she said "I'm sorry?"

"Your daughter is quite the strong one, having to taken a beating like that without using any of her power to protect herself," Eggman elaborated. "I can't believe I haven't sestained that much damage myself before enlisting to Team JAG when first fighting the Metarex."

"Huh?" Spike said, both he and Twilight lost at what he meant, which Eggman could clearly see and started to explain further.

"Back when I was fighting against that blue blur of speed Sonic and his gang of friends, I sought out to create my own Eggman Empire. I went after cities, nations and continents, even going as far as a galactic-wide conquest, with all attempts being stopped by that hedgehog or some other force. Every time I tried, I managed to walk away, or fly with my technology, with majority of times without broken bones. Then came the Metarex, and every side took on damage during those wars, but in all truth, I got off lucky even then. Arm in a sling, bandages on various areas, mental scarring, it all came as a result of what I've chosen to be and do, but it still came nothing for Sonic's ever-growing gang."

The Doctor then rested a hand on his invention. "It was even because of them that my genius expanded further into inventions such as this. When our second war with the Metarex arose, so did this. My first patient was in fact the very two-tailed warrior you and your friends had met at the start of the year."

Both Twilight and Spike had no need to think carefully about who he met. There was only one two-tailed fox that they knew of; in fact, only one fox that they ever had the pleasure of calling their friend. "Tails needing this," Twilight started, but pausing herself for a couple moments. "That doesn't surprise me, with what I've come to learn about his past."

"It shouldn't," Decoe said. "Tails used all the strength he had to fight against an old enemy of ours that the Brotherhood of Darkness brought back to try and destroy us, plus another foe from the alien race called the Glorft."

"He used up every drop he could allow himself, and thanks to Dr. Eggman's ingenious inventions he healed up quick enough to throw everyone a party and concert," Bocoe added.

"Really?" Twilight said, an eyebrow arched in intrigue.

"It is true. In fact, he healed in just under a night, so I would imagine your daughter's physical wounds to be mended in a very short time," said Eggman. "Although I can't say the same for her mental and emotional states. I'm afraid she is on her own in those departments."

A few minutes of silence fell onto the group, a time both awkward and acceptable, as little sense as most could make such a description. Spike broke off the silence by saying "She's got a lot of friends, and her family to help her out. So long as whatever goes on in this trial goes smooth..."

"Trust me, kid, it won't," said Dr. Eggman, and then motioned towards the door with Decoe and Bocoe close behind. He grabbed the door handle before turning back to say "I will be down in your special lounge if needed, but I doubt there's much you'll further need from me from this point." The purple mare simply replied with a 'no.'

"Very well. I'll inform of our Mobian mutuals of the current statuses. In the mean time, I hope for the best for your daughter." With that, the Doctor and his robots exited the room, closing the door behind them.

Twilight and Spike resumed watching Nyx, hoping to see the Doctors' efforts making accomplishment in the short future.