• Published 7th Aug 2015
  • 235 Views, 8 Comments

The Hunters - Poia



A small group of highly skilled assassin ponies are dropped into the world, their only goal, to kill each other.

  • ...
 8
 235

Day 6

Not much happened in the days since I was hospitalized, just some visits from Midnight, the doctors, and the nurses. I was expecting any day that some sort of investigator was going to bust through the door and take me somewhere for an intense interrogation on the white mare's death, but nothing of the sort happened, I don't know if I should be relieved at that, or terrified that something worse is going to happen. Whatever, if it's going to happen, it would've by now, they've had four days, and it's not like I'm going anywhere, or really hiding. But hey, the selection of books was really nice. Being in the condition I was, I couldn't really do anything besides read, and I thanked my lucky stars that reading was not on my long list of memories lost every time I opened a book. I was just finishing the fourth book in the Daring Do series by the time the nurse walked in, pushing a cart with several lunch meals for all the patients.

"Here you go Cinder," she said as she set a plate on my table and pushed it over to my reach, "enjoy it, it's your last meal." She offered a smile, frightening me at what she said. "I mean, in this hospital, sorry." She laughed at herself for the confusion. "The doctors are going to let you go today, assuming you hadn't done anything to open the wounds since the last time you were checked out." she slipped out the door, still talking. I wasn't sure if it was to me, but it probably was, considering the awkwardness of her statement as an ending.

I felt excited that I was going to be released. I mean, don't get me wrong, it was a really nice place, and having other ponies cater to you all day every day was fun, in a sort of posh, and slightly twisted, way, but I really did miss the freedom of walking around. Plus, in here, I didn't get to talk to Midnight much, and out there, I could do it all I wanted. I was dying to poke fun at her for being in love with me, metaphorically of course! I just couldn't handle it anymore. I scarfed down my meal, and my plate was clean before I heard the nurse roll the cart back down the hall, and there were only like four occupied rooms down the hall from mine! I waited a minute for the doctor to come in and release me, but he didn't. Oh well, maybe he isn't scheduled to let me out for a bit. I picked up the book I was reading and finished it, there was about two and a half hours of reading left. Still no doctor. I craned my neck to see the whiteboard posted on the door. According to the scribble of medical professionals, the doctor would let me out at four pm. I glanced at the clock on the wall, it was 3:59. So freaking close!

I looked down at my hooves and clapped them together, the bandaging was completely removed from my cut hoof, I felt reassured at this, but it still didn't mean I was well enough. I pulled the blanket of the bed over my head so that I could see my side. It was still heavily bandaged, but there was no sign of bleeding, so I did the obvious thing and prodded it with a hoof. No pain shot through my body, so that was good. In fact, I haven't felt any pain all day, just a bit of soreness in my wing after I woke up, I probably just slept on it. I was running out of things to distract myself with. I put the covers back down to their original position. I glanced at the clock, 4:02 it read, I knew it said it too, because it was digital. Analog clocks have that factor where you just think something like Does my angle change the time I see? or Am I just reading it wrong?, but a digital clock has an obviously stated time. Come to think of it, it's sort of awkward to have a digital wall clock, especially for how big it was. Who makes them? I always figured that digital was for some watches or like bed side alarms so it's easier for your tired brain to read, and that wall clocks were always analog, this just looked awkward! But, hey, at least this thinking killed another six minutes.

"Ugg, where is he?" I complained to myself. I waited a long moment in silence before I heard a knock on the door. "Come in!" I could hardly contain my excitement.

The same white pegasus that visited me so many times before stepped in. "Good afternoon Cinder." she said.

"Oh, hi Midnight." I slumped in my bed, upset.

"Such a warm welcome." she said sarcastically. Midnight plopped down on the wooden chair she became so familiar with. "What's wrong? You sound sad."

"I'm supposed to get out today, and the doctor that releases me is late." I pouted. Nine minutes.

"Huh?" she looked at the clock on the wall. "Oh, haven't you realized by now that clock is ahead?"

I looked at her. "Yeah, nice try, I would definitely have realized that by now."

"Dude, I left my house maybe ten minutes ago, and my clock said it was 3:20." she giggled.

"How do you know that your clock isn't behind?" I barked.

"I've never been late for anything in my life by going with that clock."

I thought for a moment. "I hate when you're right." The door to the room opened as I finished, and the doctor walked in.

The doctor was a stallion, identical to the nurses in every way, except slightly bigger and more muscular, and well, obviously his junk. "Pardon me if I'm interrupting anything." his voice was deep and actually kind of scary.

"Not at all." I replied quickly.

He smiled at me before turning to Midnight. "Afternoon, ma'am."

Midnight returned the welcome. "You too sir."

The doctor returned his attention to me. "Alright Cinder, as I'm sure you've heard by now, today is your chance at freedom." He laughed to himself. "Are there any concerns with your injuries?"

"I couldn't find anything." I answered. "Just some soreness in my wing, but I probably just slept on it."

"Good, good." The stallion poked the monitor with his hoof a couple times. "Just show my your side and I'll let you go."

I obeyed and pulled the sheet off to the side so that the doctor could inspect my wound. He responded by poking it with his hoof.

"Does this hurt at all?"

"Nope."

"Perfect, now I'm going to take the bandages off. If you bled at all since the last time, it will be dry and in that case it may hurt when I peel, if it becomes unbearable, just tell me to stop." He bent down and grabbed the bandage. "Ready?"

"Yup." He did as he said, and it did hurt a little, but it wasn't even wince inducing.

"Looks good." He prodded the wound some more. "Yup, very minimal blood, all bleeding stopped, the cuts have almost entirely closed up. You're free to go, just be careful of anything on that side of you." The doctor bit a piece of medical tape that was holding a sensor to my leg, the only one still there after all my examinations, and he peeled it off, finalizing my freedom.

I slid off the bed and trotted over to Midnight then looked back at the doctor. "Thank you, and by the way, the clock in this room is ahead."

"Oh, thanks. Have a good day now." he walked into the bathroom to clean his hooves and mouth from any possible contamination.

I looked at the mare in front of me. "Well, shall we go?"

"Of course, but, I have a surprise for you. Follow me." she shot me a smile before securing her saddlebags and then leaving.

"Oh no. This can't be good." I decided to follow her anyways.


I looked up at the name of the building we were about to enter and read it out loud. "Equine Eatery? You're taking me to a horse themed restaurant?" I gave Midnight a skeptical look.

"Oh, don't get your tail in a knot. Yeah, it's a family restaurant, but they have special seating in the back that is quite the opposite." She defended herself. "Trust me, you'll love it." She opened the door, not letting me add another thought before she walked in.

I followed her in, taking her word for it. I held my tongue as she told the host that we 'needed' a seat in the back. The two of us followed him through a set of doors into a whole new room, with a completely different atmosphere. This new room was much less populated, a lot quieter, and lit by candles set up extensively around the room. The stallion set two menus on a table with a single bench for seats.

"I'll be back with you in a minute." he said in a silky smooth voice. The unicorn bowed his grey head, showing off his horn, and backed away slightly before heading towards the doors he led us through. The ambient lighting of the room combined with his black mane and tail and his grey coat made him almost invisible.

I looked over at Midnight, who was looking over the menu. "OK, out with it. We both know that you're in love with me."

"What?" She dropped the laughably small sheet of paper. But seriously, can you really call it a menu? There are only like twelve things on it, and they're all parts of a salad. "I am not. I am simply being kind to one of my best friends, trying to raise your spirits after you were in the hospital for so long."

"Yeah, right. Look, love is nothing to be ashamed of."

"I would have told you if I were in love with you. The fact is, we are really close friends."

"Come on, say it." I pestered.

"Ahem." Our waiter cleared his throat. "Do either of you know what you're getting for dinner today?"

Midnight nodded. "I'll have a salad with everything except tomatoes, and a water to drink."

"And for you, sir?"

"Umm, I'll have an everything salad without lettuce and a milk." I replied.

"Ok, do you want extra cabbage to replace the lettuce?"

"That would be nice, thanks."

The waiter nodded and took both of our menus . "I will be back shortly with your food." he used his magic to carry away to small papers.

"So what if I'm in love with you?" Midnight spouted when our water was out of earshot.

I smirked. "So you admit it?"

"No, I'm asking hypothetically. Whats wrong with me liking you?"

"Nothing."

"So, if I asked you if you wanted to live with me in a romantic way?"

"I'd say yes."

She frowned slightly for a moment, then she looked at me, astonished when she realized what I had just said. "Wait, so you love me?"

"Yeah, could I possibly have any other feelings for you after all you've done?"

"But, but, but." she sputtered, at a complete loss for words. "But you, you were. I mean, I. Wait, so, are we technically dating then or?"

I chuckled. "No, you haven't asked me yet." I wasn't sure why, but I really found toying with her funny, but my feelings were serious.

Midnight gave me a very un-amused look. "Well then. At least I know the answer." She cleared her throat. "I guess I don't really have any other choice but to ask you now. Cinder Blade, will you, go out with, and move in with, me?" For added effect, she even looked at me with big puppy dog eyes. How could I say no to that? I'd already be a massive douche for declining.

"Yes, I will, Midnight Snow." I tried mimicking the sophistication in her question, it was actually surprisingly difficult. "I guess that means were sort of obligated to kiss now huh?"

When I said this, Midnight froze. "Uhh, yeah, I guess." she smiled sheepishly. "But, uhh."

"Pardon the interruption." Our waiter said. "But your food is ready." He used his magic to set a plate in front of either of us, with our specifications, and then he placed our drinks down. "Enjoy." He said before doing his back away, bow, slip out move.

The interruption killed the momentum of our conversation, and the food helped keep it dead. Needless to say, the entire dinner was uneventful. Just some minor chat between mouthfuls, but nothing major. Despite it obviously being a date, there was almost no flirting, especially after the food arrived. We headed back to Midnight's house after she paid for dinner. I didn't realize it until now, but I really do depend on her, at least, without my memory I do.


"Well, that was. Fun." Midnight said when we walked in.

"Uhh, yeah, I guess. If that's what you-" I was cut off by her forcing a kiss. She wrapped her hooves around my neck in an embrace and I hugged her back, accepting the kiss. We stayed like that for a very long moment. "Wow, that was. Surprising." I said when we broke apart.

Midnight shrugged. "Well, I mean, we kind of missed our shot back at the restaurant. I figured now would have been as good a time as any."

"Uhh, yeah."

"Well." She let out a big yawn. "I'm going to bed. You can stay up if you want, so I'll see you in the morning." she headed over to her stairs.

"Good night." I called to her.

"Night!" she yelled back.

"Love you." I added, the words felt awkward in my mouth, but I couldn't really take them back. I waited until I heard the noise of her bed springs being squished down until I went upstairs to my room. I checked the dresser again, the switchblade was still in the drawer, the rest still empty. Seeing the weapon brought a thought across my mind. I looked down at my hoof and saw that I still had the bracelet on. I shook my hoof to see if it was still functional. Both blades shot forth, and I instantly felt the weight increase immensely. The razors glinted in the moonlight that leaked through the window, the reflection was quite hypnotizing. I flipped my hoof to retract the claws and then removed the bracelet. Setting the weapon on the dresser, I let out a yawn before deciding to go to sleep. Tonight, I was definitely going to have a lot to dream about.

Author's Note:

Yeah, this chapter is lame, but I'll get to the ass kicking soon enough.