• Published 10th Jul 2016
  • 251 Views, 0 Comments

Listen to the Music - Alun Aleriksson



The Fillydelphia Institute is the best in the country for prospective students of the arts. But that's not all Sweetie Belle will learn in her time there...

  • ...
 0
 251

Chapter 1

The Fillydelphia Institution of Fine Arts was "dedicated to the recognition and growth of creative youths." At least, that's what the brochure said. Sweetie Belle had dreamed of being enrolled here ever since she got her cutie mark: a pristine silver bell with an elegant ribbon curling around it. The school itself was legendary: anypony who wanted to pursue a serious artistic career came through here at some point. Canterlot may house the magic academies, but Fillydelphia was the cultural capital of Equestria.

Up close, the Institution was a lot more intimidating than on paper. A high stone arch greeted students as the gateway to the rolling lawn. The buildings surrounding the lawn were no less than three stories tall each, and displayed hints of old Pegasopolis architecture; fluted columns, domed roofs, and even frescoes were dotted here and there among the alcoves.

Sweetie took a deep breath and remembered her campus map. The girls dorms were to her left, across from the mess hall and next to the other dorm hall for colts. She made her way, admiring absolutely everything about the place. The buildings themselves were pretty, but exquisite topiaries and sculptures throughout the gardens caught her eye as she passed.

She barely dodged some of the other students who had gotten off the train with her, most of whom were also first-years trying to find their way. She made it to the dorm building and located her room: number 243, overlooking the outdoor amphitheater on the side of the building not facing the main lawn. The room was small, but not unbearably so. Rarity might have had a fit at the size of the closet, but Sweetie didn't put nearly as much stock into clothing as her sister. A few coats and scarves fit neatly on hangers, and her other garments got folded and placed in drawers.

She made her bed, set her books and saddlebags on her desk, and organized her bathroom bag near the door.

"Hmm, still missing something..." She mused. "Oh, that's right! How could I forget?" She rummaged in her last suitcase for a few seconds before triumphantly retrieving a long tube. She unrolled the two posters inside: the Sapphire Shores one was hung over her desk, but the other took a place of honor right above her headboard.

When her friends Apple Bloom and Scootaloo had gotten wind of her acceptance into the school, they had insisted on making her a going away present: a delightful collage of the three as fillies, at each other's cuteceneras, and finally a large group shot, directly in the middle, of them smiling gleefully together the day before she left. She hung this poster with reverence, and finally declared the room to be officially hers.

~><~

After settling in, Sweetie decided to roam the campus: classes didn't start until tomorrow, and this would be a great opportunity to build a mental map of the place.

Gazing left and right, she couldn't believe she was finally here, at the very hub of artistic education. She saw some students lounging idly on the lawn relaxing, chatting, even painting. Ambient a Capella voices wafted on the breeze where students were practicing. Sweetie found herself drawn to the source: a trio of older students harmonizing beautifully with each other.

The tune was familiar; a simple childhood lullaby transformed by the overlapping parts. Swaying her head, she sang softly to herself, filling in the missing soprano part. The pseudo-improvised notes flowed easily as her talent showcased itself.

I'll be with you throughout the night
Until the blessèd day aliiiiiiiights!

The last note glissed up to an even higher one as Sweetie finished her part. She smiled at a job well sung, even if it had only been half of a short song.

"Hey!" Somepony from the group called. "Hey, you!"

Sweetie checked behind her to make sure she was the one being addressed.

The one who had called out, a pale yellow unicorn with a pink mane, rolled her eyes. "Yes, we mean you! C'mon over, we just wanna talk,"

Sweetie Belle hurried over, not wanting to make enemies before classes even started. "What about?"

"That was you singin' along, wasn't it?"

Sweetie internally gasped. They had heard her? "I'm sorry," she stammered. "Did I interrupt your practice?"

"No, nothing like that," the yellow one, presumably the leader of the little gang, said. "Actually, we were impressed."

"Impressed?"

"You flawlessly inserted yourself into an established harmony, and knew exactly which notes to improvise for your part. I know we're at the Filly Institute, but I have to admit, that's still pretty good."

"You... really think so?"

"Sure I do! You've got what it takes, kid. Little bit of practice, you could be the next queen of the school!"

Sweetie could hardly believe she was receiving such praise so early. An older student told her she had what it took!

"So whaddaya say, kid? We're looking for a soprano voice to fill us out, and you fit the bill."

Sweetie Belle could only nod, still stunned by how well her first day was going.

"Oh, by the way, you should probably know: my name's Gentle Melody. This here's Dulcet Tones, and the weirdo behind him is Bassline." The yellow one continued, gesturing to her companions: a muted green unicorn with a cream mane, and a deep blue-gray pegasus with a jet black mane.

"Charming as ever, Melody," the pegasus quipped in a voice that fit his namesake perfectly.

"Oh, you love me." Gentle Melody said before turning back to Sweetie. "Why don't you meet us for lunch tomorrow. Maybe you'll be able to talk by then?"

"Uh huh," Sweetie squeaked.

~><~

Dear Rarity,

You'll never believe what happened on my very first day! I was walking around the campus when I heard singing. It turned out to be a group of students that were looking for a soprano voice! They heard me singing along, and offered me a position in the group! I was so excited I could barely even talk.

I'm meeting them for lunch tomorrow, so hopefully that'll go well, along with the beginning of my classes! Things are going better than I could have hoped, and I'm so excited for the rest of the year!

With sisterly love,

Sweetie Belle