• Published 2nd Aug 2015
  • 488 Views, 23 Comments

The beginning of the great guardian - Dangum117



the story begins where a war breaks out between alicorns and chaos bringers and a human is brought to equstria and given powers of an Alicorn but is frozen for decades and wakes up to now find princess celestia and Luna and many trials ly ahead

  • ...
23
 23
 488

Chapter Three

When Equestria was formed the Crystal Empire had believed to be destroyed by the Chaos Bringers. Considering there had been no contact with the outside world until it was found by Earth pony explores and brought the news back to ferric. He had informed the princesses of the discovery and established contact Ferric Was being taught by Star Swirled how to use certain magic but Ferric didn't need that much help but stare swirled wanted an apprentice to teach the art of magic now that the crystal empire had been integrated into equestria he decided to take in a crystal pony foal named Sombra . The gray colt was abandoned not wanted by his parents that didn't want him. Star Swirled took the grey colt under his wing metaphorically he knew crystal pony could perform simple magic spells even without the use of unicorn horns. These gifts had been given to these ponies way back when king Rubanese in chanted his subjects.

Living in Canterlot the young Sombra learned many new spells under the guidance of his new teacher. As he grew into his teens he knew more spells than any of his crystal brethren but he was far from satisfied even though he knew more about magic than any other crystal pony but his magic was very limited compared to the ones of unicorns. Sombra wanted to be the best but with his status being a crystal pony that was impossible he needed to find a way to gain more power and he was willing to use any means possible. Every night Sombra would visit the magical Canterlot library learning as much as he could about in chanting ones magical abilities. He would read late into the night often falling asleep over a large tone one evening princess Luna found the stallion dosing his face plastered on page of the history of Alicorns and modern magic curios she stepped into his dreams of him wanting to become a unicorn and being the most powerful sorcerer in the world. Luna stepped out of the dream gently waking up the crystal pony at her side she talked to the groggy Sombra about his dreams and was interested in his goal of gaining more history of spells so the two were conversing like old friends even though they haven't ever talked to each other only seen each other around the castle before though. On the outside Luna seemed interested Sombras goal but in reality she was wary of the pony and she told Ferric how he would do anything to achieve his dream and she feared he would end up using dark magic so she kept watch over him while ferric would stand by anytime she would need him phaning interest on what he was trying to accomplish over the next few months though Luna was beginning to liking of the student starting to write for the stallion he worked so hard but yet was so under appreciated Luna identified with him in a way soon they were meeting up every night when everyone but the guards and Ferric were awake Ferric was always close by while they were roaming the archives together .

A few years had past Sombra had grown up into an adult and had given up on his dreams Star Swirled had past due to old age and left Sombra to tutor himself. He studied the growth of rare black crystals named Arrants they were worth a lot in the crystal empire as well as Equestria curiously out of all the books he had read none of them revealed how to grow the crystal. Suddenly Sombras life was turned upside down as he was eating lunch outside of a restaurant in Canterlot he heard a great commotion looking outside he saw a huge Draconequus flying over the castle laughing maniacally his chaotic powers changing the world around Sombra turning unicorn horns into horns of other animals Pegasus wings to insect wings. Earth ponies were powerless crystal ponies were turned into crystals for short intervals of time Sombra saw the princess fly up to fight the beast but the Draconequus took away their wings horns and earth pony strength sending them crashing down before Ferric got to them. Sombra ran to the castle wanting to see if Luna was safe eventually he made it inside seeing Ferric chained down in a crater where he had been thrown down by Discord. Seeing Celestia and Luna on an upper balcony wielding the first time the elements of harmony as they blasted away at the beast .Sombra came upon a huge discovery as the alicorns fought the Draconequus a stray bolt of magic hit one of the walls of the forbidden archives revealing an ancient part of the castle revealing toms and scrolls written by the alicorns of old that only the princess were permitted to read a section of the wall crumbled only.Sombra knowing the stallion was conflicted on the other hoof he wanted to watch the battle and be there for his friend and on the other hoof the ability to go into the forbidden archive was almost non existent except for that very moment quickly deciding Sombra ran into the archives cracking open books with a devilish glee. The books and scrolls were ripe with knowledge every sentence seeming to fill Sombra up with the magic he desired but then in the corner of his eye he spotted something that would forever change his destiny. A large leather black book sat on a pedestal in the darkest parts of the room black crystals grew out of its spine and across the cover was written discovery concerning dark magic and its uses dark magic Sombra had never heard of such a thing but it certainly sounded interesting.


He opened the black book and began to read what he found shocked him greatly the book had been written by an ancient Alicorn by the name of Umbra who was famous for being the first Alicorn to turn himself into a Chaos Bringer and betray his own kind no one knew why he would betray the Alicorns but Sombra realized how. When Umbra was still an alicorn he had been studying dark magic unlike the pure friendship powered magic that most ponies used. Dark magic was powered by hate and disharmony Umbra had written how to use the dark powers in great detail but the closer Sombra got closer to the end of the book the more the hand writing became unreadable pretty soon the pages were filled with unreliable scrolls. Sombra flipped to the middle of the book where he had found instructions on how to grow erents the black crystals he had been wanting to make the only way they could be grown is through dark magic Sombra followed the instructions in the book casting the spell he felt so strange as he did it feeling like a great an ancient power was turning through him he felt so much more powerful after the spell was done.

Sombra saw huge erent crystal standing before him touching the roof of the room his breath quickening sombra eagerly flipped through the pages of the book looking for more spells to perform with his new form of magic he gasped as he saw a spell near the end of the book that was readable that would allow a dark magic user to change into another species sombra could finally become a unicorn but the spell required the user to channel loads of dark magic through their systems but sombra was desperate ever since he had been recruited as star swirls student the stallion had wanted to be one of the greats more powerful than any other and now he had a chance to fulfil that dream. Taking a deep breath Sombra cast the spell he cried out as he felt hordes of dark magic pushing itself inside him twisting and corrupting his mind he shook violently as he cried purple smoke came out his eyes and his body covered in eusing black bubbles finally the procedure was over sombra got to his hooves shakily looking at his reflection in mirror at the other side of the room his eyes blood red and his coat had become even darker than it had been before but the most stunning thing was that a long curved unicorn horn had grown from the top of his forehead tip tted in red sombra smiled reaching up to touch is his unicorn horn with his hoof it was beyond amazing for him to be able to change to different species ev the great Star Swirl the bearded could not do such a thing dark magic was clearly better than magic of friendship to begin to look in the mirror at his new magical adornment sombra felt that for once he had chance to become something more he had to show Luna but as soon as he had thought of the idea he rejected it he had gotten the orn by going into the forbidden archives Sombra shuttered to think what would Luna do if she would have found out if he had been there but then a planed formed in his mind he could just as easily say that he had made the transformation himself or that he had found it in the canterlot library that way he could share his joy with luna without her knowing he had been in the forbidden archives looking through the book one more time Sombra found an invisibility spell he performed on the book pleasantly surprised how easy it was to perform the spell with unicorn horn to channel the dark energy with he sat the book on his back and strapped it on with invisible enchanted pieces of cloth he had found on the ground he rushed out of the room through his excitement sombra had almost forgotten how dragonquest had been attacking Canterlot but now everything looked differently back to normal and the Draconequus had been turned to stone in the corner of his eye he spotted the princesse near the stone Draconequus with there wings and horns he galloped towards them yelling at the top of his lungs in a joyful tone Luna he cried’.

“Canterlot is saved thank goodness but i have even more exciting news look what i’".

Sombra froze as the princesses turned to face him tears were falling down their cheeks Celestia putting her hoof tenderly on the stoned Draconequus head Luna sadness suddenly turned to surprise Sombra she said.

“Why is your coat no longer crystal”.

She gasped her eyes boring to the horn on his head Celestia did also ‘no’ luna said softly then Sombra stood frozen in terror as Luna's face turned into look of pure ferociousness at Sombra she screamed at him

‘What have you done’. Sombra gulped and said.

“I found a spell to change me into a unicorn like we always dreamed” .”You used dark magic”

Luna screamed her telekinetic magic closing in on sombras throat luna said Celestia cried putting a hoof on her sister's shoulder.

”Stop you're hurting him stop”.

Luna released Sombra from her magical hold and began bursting into a fresh batch of tears. “I trusted you just like i trusted discord now you both betrayed me”.

Celestia held her sister close crying as she gazed too stoned Draconequus once more. Sombra coft his throat still feeling like it was under pressure he stared at the weeping Alicorns how could she had known he had used dark magic and why why were they so sad about the Draconequus they had defeated more importantly why was she so angry at him. Ferric had been released of the chains that were holding back his strength and magic he saw where they were and flew over and saw Luna crying in Celestia's arms looking at the statue in front of them. But then noticed Sombra and his new transformation saying. “What have you done.” Ferric had first hand experience of dark magic he remembered the pain that it had caused him all those years ago. After he spoke sombra now preparing what
Ferric would do but Celestia looked up at sombra harshly her eyes like burning embers.

“Where did you find dark magic spells”. She questioned him ‘I ---I didn't use dark magic I used regular magic I don't even know what dark magic is”. Sombra lied Celestia eyes narrowed. “Your horn is the same as umbras the ancient who started the great war of the Chaos bringers long ago he was the first to harness and wield dark magic dark magic corrupts and destroys those who use it and the ponies it is used upon do you think my sister and i are stupid.”

Luna raised her head her eyes like slits.

“Dark magic used by ponies is banned in this nation what you have done is evil Sombra you must be punished.”

Luna spat the two princesses stood there horns lighting up with a magical ora. Sombra rane he was absolutely terrified as extremely regretful on what evil he had brung to himself and the emotional hurt he had caused Luna. But then when Celestia and Luna used their magic to trap him in magical bonds his fear gave away to a torrent of anger he lashed out at the princess's using dark magic the corrupting force fueling his anger even more the unprepared already tired princesses cried out as beams of dark magic hit them sending them crashing to the ground the overwhelming dark magic paralyzed them pinning them to the floor Sombra broke free of the magical bondages beginging to run but he was stopped as he heard a loud cry of his name he turned around in fear again it was ferric his eyes glowing golden striking Sombra to the ground pinning him with his spear in a furious tone

‘ YOU DARE HURT THE PRINCESS YOU DARE HURT MY WIFE YOU Will pay for what you have done. ‘

But he was stopped by the crying out of Luna's voice Sombra again used dark magic and hit Ferric off him and now running out of canterlot he had stumbled a few times over welmed with the sudden outbursts of dark magic through his system with the heavy spell book still strapped to his back but something else was happening to the unicorn's use of complicated spells had ruptured a hole in his subconscious the corrupting forces of dark magic were seeping in slowly tearing way through the old personality and morals of sombra and bringing in new evil traits. As sombra ran farther and farther away from canterlot he grew angrier and angrier at his former alicorn friend he had not betray her she had betray him he had finally fulfilled his dream and she should be happy for him in fact she had attempted to hurt him what kind of a friend did that Sombra traveled many days casting hundreds of dark spells during the period to disguise himself as provide for himself as he traveled the dark magic truly begun to change him now he would incoherently mumbled to himself all of the time twitching his head randomly burst into menacing laughter and was overall beginning to go insane if he wasn't already once as he was madly flipping through the book of dark magic he came upon the erent growing spell again smiling in a crazed fashion thinking how his crystal parents had not wanted him and left him at an orphanage his dark magic fueled his anger dangerously the voices in his began to whisper crystal ponies are bad the crystal ponies needed to be taught a lesson in a ravaged out to the crystal empire intent on getting his revenge for a blown out of proportion crime.


When he arrived at the kingdom he attacked everything in site in full force surprised at the dark magic wielding ponie the crystal army hurried to fight back but to be availed Sombras dark powers encasing them in erent crystals already knowing of the crystal heart and its powers sombra went for the heart tossing aside anyone who tried to get to it first reaching it sombra tried to encase the heart in erent crystals the queen of the empire rushed outside to find her kingdom in parel she furiously rushed on Sombra using her crystal powers to try to stab Sombra with the crystals she quickly grew out of the ground but the crystals shattered as they reached sombras coat and with that Sombra quickly disposed the queen sombra declared himself the new ruler of the empire using his dark powers to enslave the crystal ponies that lived within it he placed the crystal heart on top of the crystal castle a cruel joke to play on the crystal slaves who could not fly like pegasus the new king also donned the armor and the capes of the previous kings of the empire and laid dark traps in secret places throughout the castle the kingdom went to ruin the crystal ponies miserable under the leadership of their new master who made them grow and mine crystals day and night the ponies begged for mercy but the king was deaf to their cries he had became obsessed with crystals all he cared about where his crystling companions they told him things said to him how marvelous he was how powerful he was his favorite crystal though was the large one kept beneath the castle which contained a purple pegasus and her small pink child sombra loved this one talking to it constantly.

It was not long before the princesses of Equestria caught wind of trouble brewing in the crystal empire shocked at the news they immediately dawned the elements of harmony and Ferric led hundreds of their best soldiers out onto the snowy north on a b line towards the crystal empire once they arrived a fierce battle had broken out between the equestrian royal guard and Sombras mind controlled crystal pony soldiers Celestia and Luna flew up to the castle ready to use the elements against whatever was plaguing the empire ferric fought with his men outside the castle his friend white flash was there they were both doing as much as they could not to harm the crystal solidres knowing that they were being forced to fight they could only tie them down or knock them out but the enemy were going for the kill the battle was slowing down until more of Sombras troops came out of the castle now the odds were against them proving to be more trouble than anticipated.
they both reached the throne room shocked at when they saw sombra sitting on the throne Sombra said Luna narrowing her eyes i knew you had fallen to the lure of the dark magic but i would have never guess what pain and misery you would wreak on your kind Sombra growled while showing Luna a crazed smile you have always underestimated me fair princess and that will cost you Sombra lept up from the throne striking them with thick ten genes they automatically stepped back only to feel the floor fall out beneath them they tumbled down into dark hole in the ground crashing onto the bottom the floor above them revealing leaving the girls trapped in the dark hole as they used their magic to shine bright light around the area they saw a spiral staircase that was wrapped around the sides of the hole they led back up to the area which the girls had fallen Celestia explored to the upper part of the cave while Luna explored the bottom both of them looking for away to escape Luna soon spotted a door the very bottom of the hole which preceded to open it her eyes widening at the horror at what she saw The castle was empty. It was always empty.


As the lone Alicorn walked slowly through the halls, she listened to the echoing of her hooves clopping on the floor of the hallway.The castle was so big, every room cavernous compared to the equine who roamed it. It scared her... yet it was the only thing she could call home. She felt like she had always been here. Always been alone.She tried to look out of the windows lining one side of the hallway, but she could see nothing outside. Crystals as black as the deepest cave covered every window, every door. She could not break them. She could not escape.


This place was more of a prison than anything.
The pony prisoner shivered, and coughed haggardly. Her blueish-purple coat was lined with tiny patches of ice in some places. It was so cold. So very cold.
She spread her wings, shaking the tiny icicles off of them. They were too frozen for her to be able to fly, the feathers saturated with ice.Even her horn could hardly use magic. The freezing temperature seemed to have sucked the magic right out of her.She sighed, her breath distinctly visible in the frigid air. She continued to walk, aimlessly searching for some form of life... some form of hope.The pony stopped. She had not seen this room before.It was a ballroom.Ice coated the place, making the whole area colored in various shades of blue and grey.

The air felt crisp and clear, no sounds daring to penetrate the stillness.
Across the vast room, a set of gilded stairs stood, leading up to a small balcony, on which sat an ice and crystal-encrusted throne.It called to her.She trotted across the ballroom, every echoing step of her hooves resounding around the room and beating down on her harshly, emphasizing her isolation.She slowly climbed up the slippery stairs, and sat in the throne. A startling, painful chill ran up her back. The pony gave a cry, closing her eyes and gritting her teeth.
Then she heard a noise. The pony flicked her ears, opening her eyes quickly. She gasped as she took in the sight before her.The ballroom was filled with ponies. Pegasi, unicorns, and even earth ponies flooded the dance floor, laughing and talking.The prisoner sat in the throne, her face plastered with a look of great surprise. Slowly, a smile crept onto her lips. Her heart filled with pure elation. For the first time in a long time, she felt joy.


The ponies began to dance, a wonderful, haunting waltz, being played in the background by an unseen orchestra. The stallions took the mares into their embraces, and the couples twirled and spun across the floor in perfect synchronization. The mares’ beautiful dresses seemed to bring color to the icy realm around the ponies, and the handsome smiles of the stallions brightened the room.The pony watched in quiet mesmerization, her happiness warming up her entire being.


Then the music faded, and the dancers stopped. They lined themselves up, stallions on one side of the room, mares on the other.
The huge double doors at the opposite end of the room to the Alicorn opened, and a bright light shone into the space. The light melted the ice on the walls away, water cascading to the floor and fizzling away under the heat of the radiance.
A breathtakingly magnificent pony stepped into the room, the light that had melted the ice coming from her long, white unicorn horn. She spread her massive wings, and gave a stunning smile. She wore a dress that seemed to be woven from sunbeams, and atop her head a golden crown glistened. And her mane... oh, her mane... It’s ethereal mass sparkled and glowed like a rainbow, colored with the shades of sunrise.The prisoner’s heart lurched. She knew this pony. She knew this pony!
Her breath quickening, the prisoner cried out the name of the pony who shone light. But no sound came out of her tattered throat. She tried again, but to no avail.


She could not speak. And as she looked around the room, she noticed that none of the ponies had ever once looked at her during the time they had been here.
Giving another silent cry of the name of the radiant pony, the prisoner lept off of the throne, racing towards the crowned pony. She noiselessly screamed at the one who shone light, trying to get her to notice her.
But as she stood in front of the beautiful alicorn, she could only see that none of them could perceive her.Pleading, crying, the pony prisoner reached up towards the one who shone light, standing in her large shadow. She reached out to grasp the crowned pony, to embrace the only one she knew.Her hooves closed around thin air.The ponies were beginning to fade away, the one who shone light fading along with them. Ice was creeping up the walls again, the cold returning in full force.


The prisoner extended her hoof to reach the last bit of light left... and then it was gone. They were all gone.The prisoner gave a long, heart-wrenching wail. She could hear her cries now. They echoed around the cavernous ballroom, bouncing back to hit her ears.
Her heart seemed to shatter into countless pieces, scattering around the frozen floor like bits of broken glass. As she crumpled to the ground, the ice creeped up her legs, threatening to engulf her.The pony had been deserted by the only souls in her world. She was a prisoner in a hellish nightmare, forsaken by those she had loved.


She was alone.-----“Luna!”One word, spoken by a familiar voice, snapped Princess Luna back to reality.Before her stood a blank piece of stone wall, framed by a dark doorframe, an open wooden door connected to it by two hinges. She was in a deep hole-like cave in the ground, a spiral staircase attached to the sides of the walls leading upwards.Luna quickly slammed the door shut on the wall, her heart beating abnormally fast.“Luna!” said the voice again. A large white wing folded itself over Luna’s shoulder.


Luna turned her head to see Princess Celestia giving her a very concerned look.
“What is wrong?! I heard you screaming from higher up the staircase! Are you hurt?” Celestia cried.Luna did not want to speak. Her mind was still processing the harrowing things she had experienced.Celestia grew even more worried, performing a whole-body healing spell on her sister. But she soon saw that nothing physical had needed to be healed.“Luna, please! I need to know if you are alright! Sombra trapped us in here, but I think I've found a way out. We need to stop him!"“I...”Luna barely managed to say anything before she burst into tears, embracing Celestia as hard as she could. Her sister’s warm body seemed to help melt away her fears. Unlike in her nightmare, she now had a real pony to hang on to. One who would not abandon her.Even though she still had no idea what had happened, Celestia began to tear up as well. Seeing her sister cry like that invoked an automatic response from her. Celestia wrapped her wings around her little sister, hugging her close.Celestia began to sing to Luna, the same lullaby she had sung to her when they were children.Do not cry,Do not fret,Though darkness may call,Do not forget.I am here,I will stay,Though trials may come,I’ll keep evil at bay.The flow of Luna’s tears began to stop. She looked up at Celestia and smiled. Celestia gave a warm smile back.The door laced with dark magic had shown Luna her worst nightmare. To be alone, abandoned.But...When have our worst nightmares ever really come true?

The fighting outside the castle was at a breaking point when Ferric felt something wrong he quickly raced towards the castle. He reached the throne room the same shock as Celestia and Luna had Sombra again with a crazed smiled noticing the sisters were not there he asked now concerned where are they Sombra answered with a grin.

“Oh you mean the cruel princes or the wretched nightmare beast you call your wife.”

now sombra had angered Ferric beyond imagined now furios Ferric rammed the spear into the ground breaking the diamond floor beneath him sombra with a shocked look at his anger

“I swear sombra you tell me where they are or you


“Or I will what.”

Sombra smiled. “why don't you find out.”

The floor now disappearing beneath Ferric but he had anticipated this he flew up now flying at sombra Sombra quickly jumped from the throne his spear destroying the crystal throne Sombra immediately shot dark magic at him hitting him to the wall he shot back his magic now the two battling in the throne room leaping column to column then sombra had enuf casting a powerful spell pinig Ferric to his knees in great pain.


“You really think you could defeat me you're weak like your princesses.”

“You will be stopped.” as he cried out in pain the chains bending and twisting his bones.

“Don't worry you won't die yet not before I kill your only thing you care for no said Ferric yes you will see Celestia and your precious wife die in front of you this shall be the day night and day die forever.”

“NOOOO”

yelled Ferric then as golden ora slowly turned black surrounded him breaking the chains sombra jumped back surprised then on his feet Ferrics wings turned black as the night his eyes bright as the stars his voice changed into mighty one ‘

“You claim to no the darkness you dare threaten these people you dare threaten me but you also threaten the one I love. you will fall.”

Sombra panicked sending shards of dark magic towards him but they broke as soon as they touched the aura now launching spikes at Sombra now trying to avoid Ferric around the throne room.

“You once learned magic with me I saw you grow now you have allowed the darkness consume you. I am both night and day the darkness is my friend but the light wont allow me to fall to it because like the night I need the day and the day needs me. ”

He raised his left hand creating a dark aura and his right hand creating light combining them both and blasting it at Sombra crashing him towards the wall all his powers were useless against Ferric he had unleashed a force like none other the power of Ferric the power of Celestia and Luna's father doubled in strength Sombra now on the floor weakened and battered even in fear of what he saw before him. The sisters had escaped the trap seeing Sombra weak and battered on the floor but both were shocked at Ferric what he now looked like his power radiating off his body his eyes as bright as a star his black as night wings Ferric Luna said.

“What happened”

Ignoring her he began to summon his powers for the final blow then they both yelled.

“STOP”

Ferric stopped dead in his tracks sombra still in his position to brace himself you two are ok now looking at himself he knew what he almost did he looked at Sombra with anger taking in a deep breath and slowly his eyes turned back and his wings turned grey again the sisters said.

"Let's send him back where once he came. "

The unicorn on the cold ground now seeing the three stand before him as the princesses prepared to unleash the elements full power on sombra the king gave one last smile at luna staring straight into her blue eyes.

"I will see you again my dear he said giving a haggard cough a shiver rippling through his body for there is one thing the elements can't do and that is to keep some ponie away forever i'm sure you'll realize that soon enfu my dear . "

Celestia and Luna releasing the elements of harmony using their full power on the dark king his screams echoing around the kingdom as his body ripped apart disintegrating into dark smoke the smoke hurdled to the ground the ice opening up swallowing what was left of the dark king. The kingdom cheered there magically induced bonds breaking and the soldiers minds clearing of the king's influence but as suddenly as the pony cheers started they began to turn into screams of fear. For the kingdom and its inhabitants was beginning to fade becoming transparent Celestia, Luna and Ferric and the rest of the royal guard watched in horror as the city and the ponies faded away soon nothing was left of the kingdom the icy snow of the north beating down on freshly cleared ground sombra had performed a spell before the elements hit him making the empire fade into shadow just as he had their hearts heavy eyes full of tears the princess ferric and there trudging army back to canterlot they had come to protect the empire but instead they had caused its destruction.

Author's Note:

Please point out any errors I may have missed