• Published 26th Jul 2015
  • 951 Views, 7 Comments

Friendship's New Flight: Air Rivals - Masterob



The Mane 6 along with Thunderlane & Friends go to Manehatten where old rivalries renew

  • ...
8
 7
 951

City Rendezvous

Come the day of travel, the main ponies had made their way to the train station.

The foals had also joined them, mainly due to Apple Bloom wanting to see if she could see her cousin Babs Seed in Manehatten, with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle also wanting to see her as well plus Sweetie wanting to show a little support to Coco since she seemed like such a nice pony, and since the the fillies were already going, it was only fair that Rumble would go too.

They boarded the first train to Manehatten, everyone sitting in a little mini booth; Flitter sat with Fluttershy across from Cloudchaser & Pinkie Pie, Apple Bloom sat with Rumble across from Sweetie and Scootaloo, Twilight had sat across from Thunderlane, next to a place where Spike sat with Rarity (he literally jumped at that chance).

Rainbow Dash went to the booth area to sit with Thunderlane but she was cut off by Applejack, who took the seat.

"Howdy Thunder, how are you doing this day?" she greeted with a warm smile.

"Fine...just fine", Thunderlane said, hiding his displeasure, he liked Applejack but she's been a little annoying lately.

Rainbow Dash grumbled, "Hey Applejack, I was gonna sit there"

Applejack pointed to the empty seat next to Twilight, "There's a seat right there"

Rainbow glared a bit before taking the seat next to Twilight and grumbled a bit, much to Twilight's concern.

"So Thunderlane, ya excited for this trip?" Applejack asked.

"Yeah, though not too eager to go to a fancy party, not that I don't wanna be there for that Coco girl but I'm not much of a fancy guy".

"It's fine partner, none of us are, except Rarity, but you should see us at other fancy parties, like Twilight's dancing".

Thunderlane looked at Twilight curiously, "What dancing?" Twilight blushed a bit, "Nothing, nothing at all". Thunderlane's curiosity peaked, "But I wanna see your dancing". "No you don't, believe me", Twilight said, concerned over the idea of anyone seeing her ridiculous dancing. Thunderlane chuckled, "Oh well, your call"

"And you will partner, we'll be right by your side too", Applejack stated. "We all will, right Rainbow Dash?" Twilight asked. Rainbow nodded while maintaining a somewhat bad mood, "Yeah, sure, whatever you say" Applejack cocked her head in confusion, "You ok Rainbow?" "I'm just fine", Rainbow said, still somewhat grumpy.

Everyone had an awkward expression on their face. "So...what should we do in Manehatten besides the party?" Twilight asked, trying to break the awkward. "See a show? You ever see a Manehatten show Thunderlane?" Applejack asked.

"I usually attend airshows, like Wonderbolts stuff", Thuderlane admitted. "Do you like musicals?" Twilight asked.

"Sorta, I mean what's the point of going to a musical show when singing ponies aren't uncommon, I've seen ponies randomly burst into a song in real life", Thunderlane admitted.

Twilight giggled, "Yeah, I've done so as well, all of us has"

"Even you Rainbow?" Thunderlane asked. "Sorta, not too much, it can get a bit annoying", Rainbow said, with little care in her voice.

"I heard once Twilight, that you broke into a song of sorts when Princess Celestia sent you to The Crystal Empire", Thunderlane said.

Spike spoke up from across, "She sure did, even got me singing"

"Y'all should have seen the ponies when Cheese came to town, everypony was singing, even moreso when Cheese arrived, he's really good with his accordion", Applejack said.

"Cheese DOES like Polka music, he should put out an album, I think he'd do well", Twilight said. All the ponies agreed on that.

Meanwhile in another booth, The Crusaders are having their own conversations.

"Ah can't wait til we get to Manehatten, we're gonna see Babs!" Apple Bloom said.

"I'm a little nervous, what if she doesn't like me?" Rumble asked.

"Ah think she will, why wouldn't she?" Apple Bloom said, hoping to bring out some confidence.

"For one...", Sweetie started talking but a death glare from Apple Bloom shut her up quickly. Rumble pouted a bit, "Sweetie, what can I do to make you like me?"

Sweetie looked away, her mind wanted her to say 'Leave our Group', but she knew there would be repercussions so se said nothing.

"Yah don't have to do anything Rumble, she'll like you on her own", she eyed Sweetie Belle, "She better"

Scootaloo looked concerned, she didn't like how this was turning out, she thought Rumble would make a great addition to the group, their first step to expand and get other potential crusaders, but things haven't gone well with Rumble, giving Scootaloo second thoughts about more members, well at least not without getting to know them. She's already starting to regret letting Rumble in the group, she's worried her friends are gonna fall apart because of this.

Rumble hasn't been that productive of a member anyway, she knew he was cautious before making him a crusader but she didn't think it would be this bad, all that's happened so far is a dissent between Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, she knew she would have to take a side soon, but she wouldn't like it, she would however, do what's best for friendship.

The train eventually arrived in Manehatten, everyone left the train and headed for the hotel.

"So who's staying with who?" Thunderlane asked.

"We're splitting the rooms like this, Fluttershy & Flitter can stay with the foals, Cloudchaser, Pinkie & Rarity get one room, the rest of us get another room", Twilight said.

"Aw, I wanted to bunk in Rarity's room", Spike complained.

"Tough, that's how I picked them out, besides I left Rarity's room with the fewest in case they want Coco and Cheese to visit, I'm sure they'll be excited for that", Twilight said.

"So long as Cheese keeps his excitement away from Rarity", Spike said in a low voice. "Spike!" Twilight shouted.

Thunderlane chuckled a bit, understanding what Spike meant, though one glare from Twilight shut him up.

Luckily for Spike, Rarity and a few others didn't notice his comments, Rarity was actually busy instructing the bell hopers where to put their things, normally Spike would be handling the bags but due to more people coming than before, they didn't wanna overwork Spike.

"So, the fashion show's tomorrow, the day's still got some hours left, what do you all wanna do?"

"Can we visit Babs!?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Sure we could, I'll take you 4 to her place", Applejack said.

"I don't think Rumble wants to go see Babs", Sweetie pointed out, getting a brief glare from Apple Bloom, "What, I'm just trying to help!".

Rumble groaned, "I do wanna see Babs, I just don't know if she'll like me".

Applejack put her arm around Rumble, "'Course she will, and why not? Yer a handsome little fella, she'll probably be all over ya"

Apple Bloom frowned, "Lets not get carried away, Babs ain't exactly looking, but some fillies are", Apple Bloom said and batted her eyes at Rumble after emphasizing the final part of her sentence.

"Easy there little sis, let Rumble decide that", Applejack said, much to Apple Bloom's annoyance.

"Applejack would you be able to handle 4 foals alone?" Twilight asked. "Yeah, could use a little help in the big city, hey Thunderlane, mind joining me?" Applejack asked Thunderlane.

Rainbow's ears perked at that, "Um Applejack, I think you can find someone else, me and Thunder were gonna hit the city for a bit"

"You could join us, ah just figured Thunderlane would want to see more family members, and hey if Rumble hits things off with Babs, I'm sure Thunder would like to see the pony that could be his sister-in-law"

Rumble blushed madly, Apple Bloom glared at Applejack, "Applejack, cool it with that!"

"Don't be jealous Apple Bloom, you should know better, so lets go Thunder, lets walk and chat". That 'jealous' line was somewhat ironic.

Thunderlane looked to Rainbow Dash. "Just go, we'll hit the city later", Rainbow said and walked off, not wanting anypony to notice how much of a bad mood she was really in.

Thunderlane sighed and walked out with Applejack to see her cousin Babs.

Twilight could sense a little animosity from Rainbow Dash over this situation, hoping it wouldn't escalate. Cloudchaser then approached Twilight Sparkle. "I take it you don't like this feeling either".

Twilight shook her head, "Looks like Applejack's attempted redemption is getting in the way of Rainbow's time with Thunderlane, hopefully it doesn't escalate"

Rarity also noticed Rainbow's annoyance and had her own concerns and started muttering to herself, "Applejack...I know you mean well but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing", she had nothing against Thunderlane, she loves having him around, she also wants to spend time with Applejack as well, lately she's just had that urge to do so, not understanding why though it seemed to peak when Applejack first started getting too friendly with Thunderlane.

The heard the front door open and the sound of a familiar pony, "You're all here!" All the ponies turned to see Coco Pommel with a big smile on her face.

"Coco darling, how are you!?" Rarity asked and trotted up to Coco.

"I'm fine, I'm glad you're here, I wasn't sure if you'd make it, but you brought everypony...well I think so, did everypony come?"

"Yes, they're all here, though Applejack just left with Thunderlane & the foals just left not too long ago to visit a cousin of hers, Rainbow Dash went to her room I think, she's not in that good of a mood so if you see her, don't be too upset if she doesn't wanna talk".

"Oh I see, well I won't bother her, I'm just happy she came", Coco admitted. Pinkie approached Coco with a serious look in her eyes, "Where is he?" Coco looked confused, "Pardon?" Pinkie grabbed Coco and pulled her face to face, "Where...is...CHEESE!?"

Coco looked concerned, "H-he's at the party site, h-he's putting some final touches before the party" Pinkie then ran out the hotel, "CHEESE! I WILL FIND YOU!" she then ran off.

Cloudchaser spoke, "Does she know exactly where the party is?" "She'll find it, when Pinkie is determined, she always finds a way", Spike stated.

"I think Pinkie has a crush on Cheese", Fluttershy said. "Well Cheese is pretty charming, and quite the looker, can't blame Pinkie", Flitter said.

Cloudchaser chuckled, "Everyone seems to be falling in love lately".

"Sure seems like it", Twilight said, and then turned to where the rooms were, "I just hope there are no broken hearts".

Meanwhile Applejack and Thunderlane are walking the foals to Babs' place.

"So Thunder...ya like the city so far?" Applejack asked, once again very cheerful.

"It's ok, pretty busy but it's a lot different than the quiet town we're from", Thunderlane said.

They continued walking as the foals constantly checked out the tall skycrapers.

"This city is so huge!" Apple Bloom said, very enthusiastic as she looked around. "Yeah, you could get lost forever here", Scootaloo said, also just as amazed. "That sounds scary", Rumble said, a little concerned."She doesn't mean it literally", Sweetie said with a little attitude.

Apple Bloom glared at Sweetie some more, she knew that Sweetie needed to cool it with this attitude she was showing.

Back with Applejack & Thunderlane, "Well I appreciate ya coming with me, gives us a little more time to bond and really be friends after what happened before", Applejack said.

"Like I said, I'm not mad anymore, don't beat yourself up over it", Thunderlane replied.

"Well I'll feel better doing this for ya, prove to you that ah don't hate ya".

"I believe you don't, besides you saved me before, I think that's enough to show me you don't hate me, if anything I owe you"/

Applejack's eyes widened a little "No need, ah don't need another 'Spike' on mah case".

"Spike?" Thunderlane asked, once again showing his curiosity.

"Long story", Applejack said.

Upon hearing that Apple Bloom spoke up, "Aren't you being like Spike right now?"

"Ah ain't trying to be his slave, I'm trying to be his friend", Applejack retorted.

Thunderlane blushed a little at the 'slave' comment, giving him some rather impure thoughts.

Eventually they arrived at Babs' place, after greeting her older sister they sent the foals to Babs' room.

Apple Bloom knocked on her door.

"Who is it?" Babs asked from the other side.

"A fellow crusader...and your favorite cousin", Apple Bloom said.

Babs opened the door to the sound of her favorite cousin, "Apple Bloom!? Holy wowza! What brings you to my neck of the woods!?"

"We're visiting a friend of Sweetie Belle's sister, so me, Sweetie and Scoots wanna to visit you, we'll be staying the weekend", Apple Bloom said, big smile on her face.

"Cool, great to see yah Sweetie Belle, and you too Scootaloo, and...wait who are yah?" Babs asked pointing to Rumble.

Rumble waved shyly, "Hi, I'm Rumble"

Apple Bloom pulled Rumble into a hug, "And our newest crusader"

Babs looked oddly at Rumble, she wasn't too sure about this. "Uhh, ok, come on in, lets chat", Babs said, closely eyeing Rumble as he entered.

Elsewhere near the Manehatten theater, Lightning Dust, Suri & The Flim Flam Brothers are waiting.

"How long before this whackjob sows up?" Suri asked.

"She'll be here, just be patient Suri", Ligntning said.

"I can barely trust that girl, she's totally weird, she constantly talks in 3rd person, she wears a stupid looking wizard hat...and I bet she thinks she's prettier than I am", Suri said with a bit of an attitude.

"No offense Ms. Polomare, but I don't think that last part is really that important", Flam said.

Suri angrily turned to Flam "Excuse me!? It's very important okay, looks get you places, I don't need any rivals in that department", Suri stated, striking a little fear in Flam's heart.

"If you ask me Ms. Polomare, I think you're a VERY attractive mare", Flim said, using his sales charm to emphasize his point.

Suri grinned, "Smart stallion"

Lightning Dust sighed and groaned, but then noticed smoke near the ground. Everyone saw the smoke and eventually it gathered in one place where once it dissipated, Trixie had appeared.

"Did you miss The Great and Powerful Trixie?"

Suri huffed, "It's about damn time"

"Suri!" Lightning scolded and then she approached Trixie, "Hi Trixie, good to see you"

Trixie smiled, "You as well, it's nice to be in the presence of a pony that appreciates Trixie's talents, just as Trixie appreciates yours"

Suri rolled her eyes at the constant 3rd person talking.

"So what's this business proposition you had in mind?" Lightning asked.

"We'll talk in a moment, lets head over to Trixie's hotel room, Trixie was nice enough to order enough supplies for all of us to stay"

"Really? Sweet, you're the best Trixie", Lightning said.

"Glad you're good for something", Suri said.

Trixie glared at Suri, "Don't push your luck"

Suri gave Trixie a smug face and walked off with the brothers.

"Sorry for how Suri's acting, just know I appreciate what you're doing for me, I wish I could replay your kindness somehow"

"Trixie isn't looking for much or asking for much, just do Trixie one favor"

"Sure, what favor is that?"

Trixie sighed, "Trixie feels hypocritical for asking, especially since Trixie has stated this isn't th best way to handle things, but sometimes you must put your ideals aside to correct a wrong". Lightning looked concerned, "Trixie...what are you talking about?"

Trixie looked to her, "I hate to ask you, but there's one thing we need to handle if we're ever to truly have a second chance in this world". Lightning grew impatient, "What do you want me to do Trixie?"

Trixie's face went dark and her voice went sinister, "I want you to crush Rainbow Dash's pride"

Author's Note:

Sometimes, old habits Die Hard.