• Published 25th Jul 2015
  • 404 Views, 13 Comments

Love is Strange - PaisleyPerson



All Mindy ever wanted was to start a family of her own. Unfortunately, mules are sterile. But one strange encounter will turn her world upside-down, and teach her that love can come from the most unlikely of places.

  • ...
0
 13
 404

Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“Mom? Mom! Get up already! You’re so late!”

“Wha... What time is it?”

“Nine o’ clock.”

“WHAT?!”

“Just kidding. It’s 6:30. But you’re going to be late if you don’t get up soon.”

“Ugh!” Alleyway easily dodged the pillow, fangs gleaming and eyes brimming with mischief. He bounced to the other side of the room where it was safe, and crouched low to avoid any more incoming amo. None came, however. Alley didn’t even hear the creak of his mother rolling out of bed.

“Mom,” he warned.

“I’m up! I’m up!” Mindy groaned, finally throwing off the sheets. It had been ten years since she first brought Alley home, and she had watched her son had grown into a beautiful young stallion. All within the confines of the apartment, that is. Alley had quickly outgrown her saddlebags, so traveling anywhere was removed from the picture. As promised, Three Cheese and Paw Print continued to visit Alley at their apartment, making the couple the only outside contact the changeling knew. They had managed to keep Alley a secret thus far, though his growing curiosity of the outside world was beginning to complicate things. Not to mention the fact that Black Lace, who had since left The Barley Bucket but still lived in their apartment complex, had been becoming increasingly suspicious as of late.

“About time! I made breakfast.” Alley finally deemed it safe to come out of hiding, and straightened up from behind the bed.

“You made breakfast?” Mindy raised an eyebrow in disbelief, verging on suspicion.

“Yeah! Thought I’d try something a little more challenging than cereal, so I made pancakes... a little burned, but edible.”

“Did you turn off the stove?” Mindy anxiously inquired, picking up her hairbrush.

“Turned off the stove and turned on the coffee pot,” Alley reported with a grin. The comb stuck in Mindy’s hair when she let go.

“Coffee? You didn’t-”

“Oh, come on, Mom! When are you going to start letting me drink coffee?”

“Never. The last thing I need is you on caffeine.”

“Please? It smells good, and everypony I know drinks it.”

“You know three people, Alleyway: your Uncle Cheese, Aunt Paw and myself.” Alley began to shuffle in the corner as his mother continued to get ready.

“Well... maybe I could... meet somepony else?” The last bit was so soft that anyone else wouldn’t have been able to hear. But Mindy wasn’t anyone else.

“Excuse me?” She whirled.

“Never mind. I just thought...” Pain and embarrassment both reflected in his two huge, bug-like eyes.

“Alley, you know why we can’t go out.”

“I know, I know, Mom. I’m a changeling. A horrifying, evil beast out to conquer ponykind.”

“Don’t say that. Don’t you ever say that!” The volume of her voice shot up, and Alley winced, hanging his head and flattening his fins. Mindy took a deep breath, calmed herself, and joined him in the corner. “You aren’t horrifying or evil, baby,” she cooed, holding him and rocking him in her arms like when he was younger. “You’re amazing, and smart, and funny, and kind, and have the most beautiful eyes,” she kissed the filed stump of his horn. “But other ponies won’t be able to see that. They’ll see you, and remember the crimes of Chrysalis and her hive. That’s all they’ll see, Alley. I’m just trying to keep you safe.”

“I know, Mom. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have brought it up.” In fact, Alley didn’t regret bringing it up at all. But whenever he did, he always remembered how he and his mother used to fight over the matter, and quickly backed down from rekindling that old flame. So anymore, Alley not only permitted Mindy to rock him, but returned the embrace and swayed with her, burying his face in her black curls. This occasion was not unlike any of their previous, almost routine conversations.

“I’m sorry too, love. I’m sorry it has to be this way.” She rubbed his back comfortingly.

“It’s not your fault. You do the best you can.” He finally pulled away, and put his brave face on for her. He’d had to muster it up so many times, it was like second nature. And like always, she returned the gesture with a warm, proud smile. “The pancakes are probably getting cold.”

“Right!” She kissed him one last time and rushed to finish her hair. Alley was so slow moving after their conversation, however, that she still beat him to the table. He was usually pretty good about hiding his disappointment, but this time, Mindy picked up on his sluggish, slumped motions.

“One cup.”

“Huh?”

“I’ll let you have one cup of coffee with me.”

“Are you serious?” This didn’t at all make up for keeping him holed up all these years, but best not to let her know that.

“It’s not like you don’t sneak one anyway, once I’m gone.”

“Oh, you knew about that?” he blushed.

“No. That was a wild guess. You just told on yourself.” Mindy’s face began to turn red with how hard she was laughing internally. Alley set his jaw.

“Yeah, ha ha. Hilarious.”

“Go on, then. Have a cup with me, this morning. That’s a little different, huh?”

“A lot different.”

“Well, I expect you to use that caffeinated mind of yours to get some extra schoolwork done today then, huh?”

“I’ll be through with the rest of the geometry section by the time you get home,” he promised, sprinkling a teaspoon of sugar in his cup along with a good amount of cream.

“You having dessert, there?” Mindy raised an eyebrow.

“Better than taking it black,” he nodded to her own mug, a smile tugging at his lips.

“To each his own,” Mindy shrugged, taking the bottle of syrup and drenching her partially-burned pancakes.

“You having dessert, there?” Alley shot back, sure that the pancakes would begin to float in the soup at any moment.

“Touché,” she cackled, stuffing a generous portion in her mouth.

“So? How is it?” Alley eagerly inquired, returning to the table with his doctored-up shot of caffeine. “Not that you can taste it under all that syrup.” Mindy was about to shoot a smart-alec response right back at him when a knock sounded at the door.

“Mindy? You still here?”

“Alley?”

“I’m going,” he nodded, scooting out from the table and heading into the back room.

“Just a moment,” Mindy set her fork and knife down, slid out of the chair, and shuffled to the door as slowly as possible to give Alley some extra time. Not that he needed it.

She cracked the door open a smidge and peered around the chain lock. “Black Lace!” She shut the thing long enough to undo the lock and properly speak to their guest. She was back in her trademark dog collar and heavy eyeliner since she had quit her waitressing. “What are you doing here?”

“I had a package for Fondue. Since you see him at work, I was wondering if you could drop it off for me?”

“Of course,” Mindy nodded, becoming uncomfortable as the mare not only refused to leave, but began scrutinizing her living space. “Is there something else, Lace?”

“Don’t think you’ve ever had me up here.”

“N-No?” she stuttered, breaking out into a cold sweat. “W-Well, how inhospitable of me. Sorry, I’m just not one much for company.”

“You’re pretty friendly with your boss. He and his wife come up a lot, don’t they? Even looks like you’ve got a visitor now,” the unicorn nodded to the two abandoned plates at the table.

“My nephew is in,” Mindy informed.

“Never met him, either. I’d like to.”

“Well, unfortunately, Alley doesn’t see many ponies, either.”

“That his choice or yours? Every time I come up here, you’ve got the kid holed away.”

“Believe me, it’s not my choice,” Mindy gritted her teeth. “I’ll give Fondue your package. Is that all you needed?”

“Yeah,” Lace narrowed her eyes, backing away. “That’s it.”

“Well then, if you excuse me, I need to be getting to the restaurant. Goodbye, Black Lace.” She promptly shut the door, leaving the unicorn to herself.

“Okay,” Mindy took a breath. “It’s safe, Alley.”

“Black Lace again? She’s been coming by a lot, lately.”

“I know,” Mindy sighed again, retrieving her purse from the corner and slinging it around her neck. “She was suspicious from the beginning. Honestly I’m not sure she believes you even exist, as my nephew or otherwise.”

“What exactly does she suspect?” Alley anxiously inquired.

“Don’t worry,” Mindy assured, packing the last of her personal articles. “You’re perfectly safe. So long as-”

“I stay away from windows, don’t answer the door, and never go outside,” her son recited, rolling his eyes. She pecked his forehead.

“That’s my boy. I’ll be back soon. I expect your geometry work finished by the time I get back!”

“Bye!” He saw her out, or at least most of the way out. She didn’t like him in front of the door, even to close it behind her. Alleyway let out a sigh, and dug out his schoolwork.

Mindy strolled casually to her workplace. The Barley Bucket was now well staffed, and since they had more hooves to help around, she wasn’t needed at the crack of dawn any longer. In fact, her official shift started at eight and ended at twelve, when she was relieved from lunch break, and then she returned to work from one to five. Although, she was notorious from arriving early and staying until the lunch and/or dinner rush had been taken care of. Her co-workers and employers just thought she was a hard worker, but in Mindy’s mind, this was a way of repaying Cheese for his hospitality and consideration towards herself as well as her adopted son.

Though she maintained a casual pace, she didn’t take much time to arrive, and soon the cheery bells chimed to announce her arrival. Mindy instantly picked out the fading coat of an old, shriveled mare perched in the first table, just as she was every day.

“Good morning, Mrs. Rose. How are you doing this morning?”

“Well, well,” the old mare crooned.

“Give me just a moment and I’ll be right with you.” The elder mare nodded as though to give her permission, and only then did Mindy continue.

She headed into the kitchen, where Three Cheese and a couple of cooks were already hard at work. (The restaurant had started offering breakfast items, which made business really pick up in the morning.) “Morning, Mindy!” her boss called over the roaring sizzle of the pan before him.

“Good morning, Cheese,” Mindy shouted just as loudly, hanging up her purse in the back closet and sliding into her uniform as usual.

“Mrs. Rose is in at her usual table waiting for you,” Three Cheese told her when she returned, dividing the pan’s contents between three plates and thankfully not having to yell. “Wouldn’t let any pony else serve her.”

“I saw her when I came in,” Mindy nodded. “I’ll make her my first stop. Black Lace came by the apartment this morning and asked if I could drop off a package for Fondue. Can you tell him it’s in the back when he comes in, in case I miss him?”

“You NOT overlap his shift? That’s a laugh.”

“Well, if you would like me to leave on time...” Mindy teased.

“That’s your choice,” Cheese laughed. “Ah! I believe that would be Beach Ball and his family coming in, now,” he nodded towards the door. “If we get many more regulars, you’re going to be single-hoofedly waiting the whole restaurant!”

Mindy laughed, accepting his praise and good humor with a warm smile. “Good morning, Beach Ball! Sand Castle! Look how big you’ve gotten!” she greeted the tiny young filly accompanying her father. “Would the window table be alright?”

“Mornin’, Mindy,” the stallion returned her smile. “Yes, the window is fine.”

“Go ahead and seat yourselves and I’ll be right with you. Now, what can I do for you, Mrs. Rose?”


“Thanks! Come again! Whew!” the last of the lunch rush ponies had cleared out, leaving Mindy and her coworkers to catch their breath. Most of the staff had recently reported for their shifts and still had energy left, but as always, Mindy had stayed well past when she should have clocked out and was utterly exhausted. “Alright, I’m calling it a day. Fondue, do you want to take over my tables?”

“Do I want to or will I? Because technically I should have taken over an hour ago, but if you want to keep doing my work for me...” the black coated stallion joked.

“Thanks, Fondue,” Mindy grinned. “Oh, did you get your package?”

“Sure did. Thanks, Mindy.”

“Alright. See you tomorrow.”

“You finally cutting out, Mindy?” Three Cheese appeared from the back in time to see her off.

“Yeah, I better be getting home. Alley will be wondering where I am.”

“Yeah he will. You didn’t leave to have lunch with him as usual.”

“There’s... a reason for that,” Mindy reluctantly confessed, closing the door and stepping back into the restaurant.

“Uh oh, parent troubles,” Cheese lightly smiled. He then turned back, “Flambé, hold down the fort for a couple minutes.”

“Sure thing, boss!”

“Ya wanna talk in the Lair?”

“Thank you,” Mindy took the lead in heading into the well-known manager’s office. She deposited her purse at the base of the chair before making herself comfortable.

“What’s goin’ on?” Cheese closed the door behind him and climbed into the tall-backed swivel chair behind his desk.

“Cheese, you know Alley’s been more... inquisitive lately.”

“He askin’ to go outside again?”

“Yes,” Mindy sighed. “I don’t know what to do! I can’t say yes. For his own protection, I can’t say yes! But it breaks my heart to tell him no, and keep him cooped up in that tiny apartment all day every day for the rest of his life. He has no one his own age, well, no one at all, really. The only other ponies he knows are you and Paw. He loves your visits, he really does, but...”

“I understand. It’s not the same as having your own friends,” Cheese solemnly nodded.

“Maybe I should move him out to the country, where it would just be the two of us.”

“That’s no better, Mindy. Sure, he might be able to stretch his legs some more, but it’s the isolation that’s getting to him. He needs to get out with other ponies.”

“But how, Cheese? Anywhere I take him, ponies will riot!”

“There is one place I know where they won’t.”

“Where?!” The mule jumped out of her seat, and her hooves slammed down on Cheese’s desk. Her entire body trembled with anticipation, and hope gleamed in her eyes. Three Cheese smiled.

“Right here at The Barley Bucket.”

“What?! No! Are you crazy?”

“You’ve worked here for ten years, Mindy. The staff knows you. Most of the customers know you. They like you, and even trust you a lot. If you brought Alley here early, before anypony’s out on the streets to stop you, he can sit at the back counter or even help out. If ponies question it, introduce him properly this time, as your son. I guarantee they won’t bat an eye after that.”

“And I guarantee they will.”

“Well, if they put up too much of a fuss, I’ll personally kick ‘em out of my restaurant. I won’t have my friends or staff being treated like that.”

“Cheese-”

“You can’t keep him holed up forever, Mindy. Somepony’s going to catch on, and it won’t be pretty when it happens. You’ll both be better off gradually introducing him like this, giving ponies a chance to get used to him first. Come on, Mindy. We both know I’m right.” The mule was hanging her head at present. She didn’t move for a while, but finally her shoulders heaved with a sigh.

“Alright.”

“Min- wait, what?”

“I said alright. I’ll bring him early. Will you be here by five to open up?”

“I will now.” Cheese wore a huge, gappy smile as he slid out of his chair. “Good for you, Mindy. I’d ask you to tell Alley ‘hi’ for me, but I guess I’ll be able to tell him myself in the morning, eh?” Mindy just left without another word.