• Published 9th Jul 2015
  • 766 Views, 9 Comments

Twilight Sparkle vs. the Yaks - Silver Letter



Negotations go badly in this reimagining of the episode "Party Pooped"

  • ...
3
 9
 766

Chapter 3

A week later, Twilight Sparkle was on the train, going on the long journey to the Crystal Empire. She didn’t pay any attention to the beautiful landscapes that zipped past her view. She was spending most of the time resting after an exhausting week. But not just sleeping. She hadn’t gone by herself and her friend, Ribbon Wishes, joined her. Since her history books alone hadn’t been enough to help Twilight grasp the complex nature of the Yaks, she had sought out the best psychiatrist in the land. Ribbon could figure out how most minds worked and used that to solve all sorts of problems whether it was a strained relationship or a fear of heights. They spent some of the ride catching up. Ribbon was doing better than ever with lots of new clients. She would often say that it was all too heavy at times. But it was no better time to remind her that such things came with the territory of being a scholar of pony behavior.

Twilight worried constantly that the relationship the ponies now had with the Yaks had been compromised, maybe even beyond repair. It’s what had kept her up at night and denied her peace. She sent letter after letter to be updated as to the happenings over at the empire. So far, her sister in law had kept the situation under control with the prisoners. At the eve of her return, she had to be there to at least try to speak to the Yaks one last time. After all, she had been right in the middle of it. Her participation was not to be avoided or overlooked even if Celestia had been so forgiving as of late.

The train came to a grinding halt at the station and a throng of ponies exited to the platform. Steam billowed between everypony. Ribbon Wishes was jumpy since she spied the Crystal Palace during the approach. Being a small town pony, she was not used to big cities. She went towards the first souvenir booth and nearly pressed her face against the glass until it began to fog. Her smile shone like a child’s underneath her heavy scarf.

“Ribbon, we must make haste for the castle,” Twilight said. She carried a small suitcase with only the research concerning the yaks. Full of papers marked with yellow highlighter and sticky notes.

“Right, Twilight.”

They doubled the pace through the streets, passing by numerous crystalline storefronts and flats. Ribbon could barely keep her excitement in check, despite her grasp of the gravity of the situation. Everything must have been awe-inspiring from the crystal buildings to the crystal ponies with their exotic northern dress and shimmering hair.

When Twilight spotted Cadance over at the Crystal Heart, she could tell that her sister in law felt anything but excited like her friend. She looked as grey and deflated as the cloudy skies above. She could be expected to be like that during troubling times. She’s the quiet type, always keeping things close to her chest. But she did perk up enough to give Twilight a hug as usual.

“Twilight, is this the friend you mentioned to me?” Cadance said.

Twilight smiled. “It is she. We’ve been friends for a while.” After introducing Ribbon, the mare gave a short bow. But Cadance insisted on shaking hooves which was done to Ribbon’s delight.

“I’ve heard things about you but meeting you face to face is a great honor,” Ribbon said. She was nervous, barely able to stand still.

“Thank you. You honor me with your words.”

“Where is my brother and Princess Celestia?” Twilight inquired.

“Shining is looking after the prisoners personally. It is something right up his alley and I think he was rather eager to meet the yaks since he heard of them. As for Celestia, she is upstairs and very eager to see you both.” Twilight was actually glad to hear about her brother. She always thought about whether he was satisfied living in the castle after such an exciting life in the guard. Maybe he was able to put on his armor he used to wear. She knew that would please him to no end. At the very least, the city was in safe hooves with him around, yaks or no yaks.

“I assume time is of the essence,” Ribbon said seriously.

“Indeed. Let’s walk and talk,” Cadance said as she led them both into the palace.


Cadance got both of them up to speed before they entered the viewing rotunda. The prisoners were kept well as they can manage. Like animals though, they often reacted with hostility. Even feeders didn’t enter their cell lest they be assaulted. Shining himself had been put to his wit’s end but that wasn’t where Cadance had kept her focus in the last day. Supposedly there had been rumors of movements in the far northern mountains. They were the Crystal Empire’s northern frontier. Neither Cadance nor Shining Armor had anticipated such and it was evident in the very air. The guards appeared restless as if fearing the shadow of war. Princess Celestia was waiting in there. Her sister was in Canterlot, performing her duties most admirably in all likelihood. Celestia was staring out towards the far mountains, her gaze serious and unyielding as though keeping watch over her own city.

“Celestia, we are all here,” Cadance announced. The princess turned and her hardened stance seemed to finally melt back into a familiar smile that spread across her aged face. As Twilight strode in, she was glad to see it. Twilight rarely saw her in such a serious manner. At least she hadn’t since the royal wedding.

“Hello, Twilight,” she said. She spoke as if tired, having had so little rest in many hours. “Your studies went well, I presume?”

“Well, yes they did, but princess, things are getting worse, aren’t they?” Twilight spoke candidly.

“In a way. I fear that they had contacted their home somehow. If so, it might be too late to prevent a significant overreaction.”

“That is a wide euphemism, your majesty,” Ribbon said. She kept her head slightly lowered either in fear of her reply, of awe at her sight or both. Her voice also betrayed a keen sense of anxiety.

“It is that their reaction may indeed be wide. Are they foolish enough to try and strike against the empire in earnest? Or will they try another way? Without understanding them, I am as blind to their desires as I was with the changelings.”

“I heard of them. I wish I had been there or even had one to my disposal so I can pick at their brain so to speak,” Ribbon said.

“I’m afraid that isn’t the case but what do you know of yaks? Hearing of your skills as a psychiatrist piqued my interest and I would love to know how you can help us better understand them.”

Ribbon chuckled nervously. Despite that, she was keeping her cool for the most part. “Uh, I’ve done a lot of study with Princess Twilight. Practically non-stop. All I haven’t done is meet one face to face.”

“Then I suggest that you go right away,” Celestia urged. “It will help us to make the right decisions before it’s too late.”

“I will, Princess.”

Cadance turned towards the doorway. “I’ll lead you to the dungeons.”

They said a hasty goodbye and left.

“I didn’t know the castle had dungeons,” Twilight commented with interest as they went down the hall.

“They’re really old. Older than King Sombra even,” Cadance said. “But we don’t talk about them much. It’s not like we put them on brochures so guests to the empire wouldn’t know of them.”

They started talking about the history and Ribbon slowly tuned them out as she usually did when Twilight droned on about something she really didn’t care for. Instead her eyes darted around the walls and at all the old paintings of crystal princes and princesses. It was so grand, greater than she had ever expected. Maybe it was all too much for a mare like her. She was used to ponies coming to her for advice. A spat between two lands kept in dark dungeons away from prying eyes was something different. How could she understand what three princesses couldn’t?