• Published 23rd Jun 2016
  • 222 Views, 1 Comments

Sailors of the Blue - Orion 141



Pip is a navy officer mixed into a gang of pirates. A group searching for their redemption thought means of violence, and if Pip is lucky, he'll escape with his head.

  • ...
 1
 222

When in Port Royal

The rocking of the ship woke Pip up. He was alive, and full of water if his stomach was any indication. He tried to sit up, only to smack his head inot the ceiling of the bunk above him. A corse laughter echoed throughout the hold. Pip looked to his left, there was a hall of sorts and on the other side were more bunks. He leaned out and looked down.

He was the third from the bottom, he glanced up to see how many more were above him. The only problem was a very bald, very happy looking man above him. He had a shrill smile.

"Boo." That was all that was needed to scare Pip out of his skin. He feel out fo bunk and landed on the deck with a thud. Once again the corse laughter rang out, even louder now. "Good job matey, I hadn't laughed like that since Dicky died!" Laughed the bald man above Pip's new bunk.

"Dicky?"

"Yeah! The dead guy who's bunk is your's now!" Pip just gave the man a quisical look. "Oh, and I hope you don't mind, but Dicky has a bunch of valuables in his bunk, might want to sell 'em for respect and such." Pip shook his head and got to his feet, looking back and forth, he righted himself and headed for the top decks.

The sun was high and the wind was strong, perfect for sailing in Pip's humble opinion. He got top side and was greeted with an sight he hadn't expected in a million years, pirates. Pirates who weren't ready to carve his skull into a cup and drink piss with.

Looking around, he spotted Maple talking to a very well dress pirate at the helm of the ship. Deciding that it was best to meet up with him before he does anything drastic, he walked up the stairs.

"Look who's awake, cap'in you got the second one awake." Called a horse voice from high up in the sails. Maple turned to meet Pip's gaze, a smile firmly planted on his mug.

"You're alive! I feared the worse." Said Maple as he grabbed Pip and gave him a hardy hug.

"Hay, I'm tougher than I look." Replied Pip as he returned the motion. Maple pulled away and turn to the pirate at the helm, a pirate Pip would need to get very close with.

"Captain O'Malley, this here was the first mate and finest fighter of the Mermaid!" Though not true, Maple seemed to be keeping close to the actual story.

"Pip was it? Maple here has been telling me lots of good things about you two, remind me, what was the name of your old captain?" Asked O'Malley as she shot Pip a queer look.

"Salt ma'am, ex navy and harder than most diamonds." O'Malley seemed to like this answer, looks like Maple did actually tell her his name.

"Good, so how is it that only the first mate and the man at arms of a pirate ship made it out alive while everyone else died. Or better yet, how did an Admiral get caught up in the scuffle?" Asked O'Malley as she eyed the both of them. Maple spoke up first.

"You have me ma'am, the wind and rain from the storm were fierce. I'd say lady luck has a fancy for me." Smiled Maple as he dusted off his shoulders. O'Malley laughed at this and looked back out to see.

"You're funny, still. Doesn't explain an Admiral in a Brig." Pip decied to answer this time.

"Beats me ma'am, maybe he wanted to glory for freeing some slaves. There was a gunboat, we boardered her and found a pile of slaves, then the navy came crashing in, we got the Brig but a Frigate got away with our hall." O'Malley stayed silent for a bit, before turing to the pair.

"My name's Grace." Maple turned to Pip, who just shrugged without an answer. "I need a new Firstmate, and I could use a master at arms, trust me, if any of these yahoos were capable of the job I'd already have them doing it. Pip, let's see if you can replace Micky. Maple, get to work and train these boy."

"Of course." Maple turned and walked down the stair, stopping short a looking back up. "Grace." with that he walked away. Pip watched him go, he could shake the feeling that Maple had made a huge mistake by playing along with these pirates, not that it made in difference now.

"Tell me boy, you know of any good ports a girl can let loose for a while and let the troubles of the world and sea sink into a fine bottle of cheap drink?" Asked Grace as she took hold of the wheel and motioned to one of the crewmen on the deck, a silent of order of sorts. Pip rolled his shoulder and took his new place at the side of the dashing captain.

"Royal?" Asked Pip as he crossed his arms and looking over the deck of sailors, a quite hum rising from below.

"Port Royal is at least 360 leagues to the West-northwest, it'll take us 5 days to get there." Just as she finished, a roar of voices broke the relative silence of a ship deck. Pip knew the song well, it was a favourite of the men of the Maiden.

"It's a damn tough life full of toil and strife...!" Soon the entire ship was filled with the voices of the men with hearts filled of song.

"Were on our way to Nameless port, what the crew call Maui in honour of our old Cap'in Maui who grew up down there. Entrust in the crew and they trust you like me, now go on and meet the folk who you will be watching over. Mind Pointer, he's just a little shaken up over Dicky's death." Said Grace as the song ended and another began to grow in the throats of the crew. Pip smiled at his new captain and followed her suggestion, stepping down the stairs and onto the deck. Grace watched him, a lump growing her her throat like the men, but one not of song but one of fear. Grace steeled herself and looked to the horizon, it was going to be a long two days.

Author's Note:

This here is another version of the shanty song by the crew, you decide which is better.