• Published 23rd May 2012
  • 1,483 Views, 10 Comments

Lost Soul - Gryzzli



Young man woke up in an unknown world. Will he return home or leave behind everything he loved?

  • ...
1
 10
 1,483

Legends part 1

Over two hundred years have passed, since the union of the three tribes and the creation of Equestria. Young country was led by a council, made of representatives of Unicorns, Pegasi and Earth Ponies, doing their best to ensure safety and peace for ponies they ruled. Unfortunately it wasn't an easy task. Equestria at the time was still weak, and was constantly a target for monsters and warlords that wanted to enslave its inhabitants and claim their wealth. Dangers such as hostile kings and chieftains were fought by an Equestrian Army led by the Council. But to fight monsters and enemies from within, those who are too elusive and numerous to face the might of the Council, there was need for a more flexible and independent force. Thus the Order of the Knights was created. Knights were paragons of honour and valour, chosen from among those who were deemed worthy and upheld those virtues. Mostly nobles and warriors of uncommon skill, they were guardians of peace, living near the common inhabitants of Equestria they sought for dangers hiding in the shadows and fought them. One of such menaces, was an enchantress called Mercury Stream, a unicorn of great power that strived to become an empress of ponykind, no matter the cost.

Hayverness, Equestria

YEAR 210 AFTER TRIBES UNION

Dawn. Hayverness, large town on the south of Equestria. On usual day its streets would still be quiet and empty. But it wasn't a usual day. For that day, heroes were leaving to wage war for the safety of Equestria. A square right behind the town's main gate was crowded. Tens of ponies were present there, but even an untrained eye could see that a small group of them standed off. A dozen soldiers. Band of heroes. Knights of Equestria.

Their leader, a tall grey pegasus wearing silver, embellished cuirass with a shield, helmet and sword hanging by his sides, was standing in front of a cyan pegasus mare, looking in her eyes with care.

"I hate when you go without me." She said, sadness dripping from her voice.

"And I hate to leave you Sun Blaze. But we can't miss an opportunity like this. Mercury Stream has been eluding justice for years. Now we know where she is. We can finally end this my love." He grabbed her hoof and caressed gently.

Mare sighed. "I know... But I still don't like it. Ponies says that she is the most powerful unicorn in Equestria, that she made pacts with the demons." She inhaled deeply. "Why is it you who have to lead this expedition? Silver Blade has enough experience to be a leader. Why do you have to leave right now when I need you most?" She tightened her eyelids to hold the tears.

Sadness crept on the stallion's face. "It is my duty Sun Blaze. Equestria is in peril. You would be coming with me if not for the circumstances." He lifted her chin and smile warmly. "I promise that I will be back before it happens. You hear me? I promise." His gaze moved on the mare's visibly rounded belly.

Cyan pegasus smiled. "Don't you dare to be late." She adjusted the locket he was wearing, similar one was on her neck. Those were their wedding lockets, on each one there was engraved a cutie mark of the owner's spouse.

"Sir Bright Heart." A dark blue unicorn stallion, wearing similar set of armor as his leader, approached them. "I'm sorry but we have to leave."

Grey pegasus sighed. "Assemble the Knights Silver Blade."

"Yes my lord." Unicorn bowed slightly and trotted off.

Bright Heart looked at his wife. "Goodbye my love. I'll be back soon." He whispered as he nuzzled the mare affectionately. Then he started to back off.

Sun Blaze said nothing, she was just standing there smiling to her husband, looking him deeply in the eyes. Eyes that burned with undying love.

Leader of the Knights trotted to the centre of the square, everypony gazed in awe when he passed beside them. Rest of the Knights finished their goodbyes and joined their leader forming a rank before him. Mares and stallions alike, each of them proud and fearless. When the last of them joined, Bright Heart spoke loud so everypony in the square could hear him. "Knights of Equestria! My friends. Today we march to end the spree of terror caused by a witch Mercury Stream, and with the blessings of our beloved we will prevail!" "HUZAAH!" Replied the Knights in unison. "Then follow me Knights! We march for our friends and families. We march for Equestria!" Another loud cheer erupted among the heroes, and with that final act they left the town, leaving the crowd behind.

When they were walking away, Silver Blade approached his commander, he could read ponies like an open book, and Bright Heart was his close friend making it even easier. "Don't worry my lord. She will be fine. She is one of the Knights after all. And a wife to the most famous one of our order." A friendly smile appeared on his face.

Bright Heart didn't answer and just smiled back. He knew that he was surrounded by ponies he could depend on. Real friends who would gladly give their lives for him. Those who gave him strength, to endure everything that world would throw at them. And now they were heading to fight the most dangerous pony in Equestria.

....................................................................................................

Knights marched on, day and night, until they reached their destination. It was a full moon night. Bright Heart trotted uneasy in circles, waiting for the scout to return. Finally his patience was rewarded as green pegasus mare came out of the bushes.

Skinny mare took a moment to catch her breathe and begun to report on her findings. "My lord we found her. The witch and her cult are in the ruins of the monastery right behind these hills. But we must hurry my lord it seems that they are preparing to leave."

Stallion nodded. "You did great job Lime Leaf." He donned his helmet and turned to the others. "Let's not waste time. Arm yourselves Knights. We end this now." Assembled ponies nodded and proceeded as ordered.

Dozen of armed ponies made their way through the hills, as they reached the peak of the last one separating them from their target they saw it. Single building, its walls were showing the effects of time flow but were more or less intact. Before the building there were a group of ponies loading equipment on the carts and securing it for the travel. Most of them were unicorns, some of them wore long dark coats.

Bright Heart scanned the area for the presence of the witch but she were nowhere to be seen. "She must be still inside." He was standing in front of his comrades in full battle outfit, shield fastened to his left foreleg, sword still in the sheath.

Surroundings offered no cover so they were spotted quickly. Knowing well that time was running out, Bright Heart unsheathed his sword. He raised his weapon and shouted. "FOR EQUESTRIA!" Then broke into gallop in the direction of panicking ponies, followed closely by the rest of the Knights.

Warriors of Equestria hit the cultists like a thunderbolt, even though they were outnumbered by far they neutralized threat quickly without a single casualty on their side.

Leader of the Knights knew that real battle was yet to begin. He jumped at the staircase and bucked the monastery's door breaking it in half. They entered the monastery cautiously. In the centre of the large room they saw several more cultist who begun to back off slowly. Then Bright heart saw a lonely pony standing on the far side of the room right in front of the destroyed altar. Despite the fact that this figure was turned in the other direction and was wearing a long black coat and a hood he knew exactly who it was.

Lone pony turned around and made several steps in the direction of the newcomers, stopping right behind the line of cultists. Moonlight was illuminating her, but only a purple snout was visible from underneath the hood. She was smiling.

"Well, well, well. What a surprise, the glorious Knights of Equestria came to visit me. And if it's not a famous Bright Heart leading them, I'm flattered really." Mercury Stream broke into laughter.

Bright heart glared at the enchantress. "It's over Mercury Stream! Your followers are defeated, you don't stand a chance against us. Surrender now and you will have a just trial." He spoke with a sword pointed at his adversary.

Witch seemed to be amused by his speech. "Over? My dear, foolish, ponies." She raised her head slightly and her eyes flashed. "This is just the beginning!" With this words she lit her horn and stomped her right hoof on the floor.

Knights were about to charge when the ground started shaking and in several places the floor exploded sending rocks everywhere around. Distorted creatures started to emerge from the newly created pits. They had shapes of ponies but were made of stone, dirt and iron. Over three dozen creatures were standing now between the Knights and their target.

Mercury Stream raised her hoof. "CRUSH THEM!" Constructs clumsily rushed forward.

"ATTACK!" Bright Heart yelled and Equestrians charged the new foe. Ponies were swifter, more agile and smarter, but constructs were incredibly strong and felt no pain nor fear. As the two groups engaged in fierce combat, Bright Heart tried to reach the true enemy. He was attacked by several golems but cut them down one by one, dodging and deflecting their attacks with his shield.

Finally he managed to break off the combat and stood face to face with Mercury Stream.

Frown appeared on her face. "You truly are the stubborn one."

"You are not getting away this time!" He leaped at his foe, while shielding himself from the lightning she unleashed. He swinged his sword where he thought she stood but there was nothing. "What?" He looked around only to be blasted by a magic bolt. "Argh!" He faced the unicorn that appeared on his right.

"Whats wrong Bright Heart? Problems with your aim?" She spat venomously.

He striked again only to see the witch disappearing into thin air as his blade touched her. Another blast and hiss of pain. Then he realized that he does not hear the sounds of battle and the world few metres from him is covered in smoke. She is stirring with my mind. He heard magic charging behind him and spun around just in time to deflect another bolt with his shield. Focus Bright Heart! Focus! She was a powerful unicorn indeed. He has to be concentrated to win this. He steadied his breath and recalled his goodbye with Sun Blaze. He focused on her eyes. Eyes of the mare he fell in love with. His vision started to clear slightly. He strained his eyes and finally spotted a faint shadow standing several metres from him. I got you now. He jumped ahead, aiming with his sword at the place to her right. He landed finishing the attack, but immediately crashed his shield into the shadow. Unicorn fell backwards and the illusion faded away.

It seemed that Knights were slowly gaining the upper hoof over the golems. Mercury Stream quickly scrambled to her hooves and spat some blood on the floor. Her hood fell on her back revealing the metal collar surrounding her neck and partially covering her cheeks. "Your will is stronger that I thought." She straightened herself. "Let's do this your way." Her eye's flashed red as straight blade appeared in front of her and she pounced at pegasus attacking madly.

There was a shower of sparks when the blades met and Bright Heart had to back because of the unnatural strength of the attack. "What sorcery is this?" He hissed with his teeth clenched.

Purple mare continued her furious assault leaving her opponent no time to rest. Blade in her magical grasp cut like attacking viper but with the strength of a charging buffalo.

Knight spotted a gap in her defence and exploited it immediately cutting her side. But when the blade struck it bounced back, only managing to cut off the part of her coat revealing the armour underneath. Bright Heart have never seen anything like this before. Her armour appeared to be a smooth layer of metal, with no visible joints. It looked like it was flowing on her skin covering her body completely with the exception of the head.

Taking advantage of her opponent's confusion, she attacked again. Pegasus barely managed to defend himself using his shield. When the blade struck shield was broken apart and its remains fell on the floor. He was on defensive, losing strength quickly.

Seeing that his commander is in danger, Silver Blade blasted the golem that was attacking him and shoot lighting at the witch, causing her to hiss in pain and lose focus dropping her blade.

Bright Heart reacted quickly, attacking her unarmored head. But the strike never reached it's target. When the blade was centimetres from Mercury's skin metal covering her body expanded and deflected the sword.

The force of the strike caused her to sway back few steps. Sparks of fury ignited in her eyes. "ENOUGH!" She screamed calling upon her magic and releasing a powerful shockwave which knocked over everypony else in the room and destroyed all of the constructs. Then with her eyes and horn glowing red she raised both front legs and slammed them against the floor. Remains of the golems floated in the air and reformed into chains which then pinned the Knights to the floor. Enraged unicorn trotted slowly to the pegasus laying on his back and struggling against the chains. "Fools. You are no match for me. You are like a foals playing war." She was now standing directly over Bright Heart, looking into his eyes. Her blade once again in magical grasp, levitating in front of her. "Why do you fight inevitable? Soon I will take over Equestria as it should have been long ago! I Mercury Stream, heir of the Aurora Light's throne and soon the empress of the ponykind!" She panted loudly. "But first, I will take care of you." A devilish smile appeared on her face as she levitated her blade to his throat.

Pegasus looked her in the eyes with defiance. He will not beg, he will not give her this satisfaction. He only regretted one thing. I'm sorry Sun Blaze. I am so sorry. He prepared to die.

But the death didn't come. Witch's blade stopped on his skin. Something caught her awareness. She crouched next to him. And reached with her hoof to his neck.

Then he saw what she was so interested in. His locket. For the first time in years terror froze his heart.

She raised the locket a bit to examine it closely. Then she smiled even wider and looked at his terrified face. "Or... I could make you suffer even more." Unicorn chuckled, pressing her hoof against his forehead she lit her horn. Knight screamed in agony as Mercury Stream invaded his mind. After few seconds it stopped and she stood up. "Usually I avoid civilian involvement, but as a future empress I need to send a message. So no pony would challenge me again."

Bright Heart started to struggle even harder, knowing full well what she had in mind. "NO!"

"I would love to chat but I have an important meeting to attend to... In Hayverness." She levitated a bag from the altar. "Let this be a lesson for you and the others." Strong gust of wind filled the room as lights surrounded Mercury Stream.

"LEAVE HER ALONE!" Yelled desperate pegasus.

Purple unicorn gave him one last smile before vanishing in the thin air.

"NOOO!"

He struggled in all his might, but the chains wouldn't break. He didn't know how long it took, but the spell finally weakened and Knights managed to free themselves. As soon as his chains broke he jumped on his hooves and took off, not even glancing at his fellow ponies he flew out through the window.

"Bright Heart wait!" Silver Blade shouted behind the pegasus but with no effect. He lit up his horn and conjured a pair of dragonfly wings on his back. "Those who can fly follow me! Lime Leaf stay with the rest and check what they were doing here, then go to Hayvarness, we will await you there." With these words he flew after his leader.

...............................................................................................

He was flying as fast as his wings could carry him, he knew that time was running out, maybe it was already too late. NO! His vision was slowly starting to blur. Not now... I must not...

Then he saw Hayverness. And the sky full of smoke. New strength filled his body. Although he tried to deny it, deep inside he knew the terrible truth. He was too late.

Knight headed to the, now devastated, district he lived in and landed in front of his house... Or rather in front of what was left of it. Most of the fire died out already, building had no roof and few sections of the walls were collapsed.

It cannot be truth... It cannot be! This is just a nightmare. It must be. He could feel his heart shattering. Stallion slowly entered the ruins of his house. With each step cracks on his being spread. He was searching the building. He tried his best not to think what he could find there. He entered the area that used to be a living room, wall facing the street collapsed completely. Then he saw something on the floor , something shining. A locket. Bright Heart lifted it to his eye level.

"No..." He whispered and sat on his haunches. He shook his head. Tears started to flow down his face. "This can't be real." He remained motionless, staring at the silver locket on his hoof.

Silver Blade lost sight of his leader almost immediately when they flew out of the old ruins but he knew exactly where to go. They flew as fast as they could and soon they reached Hayverness. Knights circled above the city, stunned by the sheer volume of devastation. For if the witch could do so much damage in so little time how can they stop her? Streets were mostly empty, only few ponies remained there, most of the inhabitants fled when the attack started. After few minutes Silver Blade found Bright Heart's home, and it didn't look good.

Knights landed in front of the ruined building and through the gaping breach in the wall they saw their leader. Or rather a wreck of a pony that once was their leader. He was sitting there, unmoving, staring at the silver locket with a blank expression. They realized what happened. Blue unicorn made few steps towards him but stopped, deciding that they should give their leader some time.

After several minutes a unicorn in guard uniform approached the Knights. "My lords! It's good to see you again. When the witch attacked we thought you were dead or imprisoned. Is there anything I can do-" He stopped talking when he spotted pegasus in the ruins. "Is that Sir Bright Heart?"

Silver Blade walked to the guard. "Yes but he must not be disturbed right now." Guard pony nodded. "Tell me about the attack, streets are deserted where are the inhabitants?"

"Most of the inhabitants fled to Neighenburgh, we feared that the witch came to enslave the population but she just started to set everything on fire." He turned his head to the ruined house. "Starting with this place. Then she left as expectantly as she arrived. Marshall ordered the citizens to remain in Neighenburgh until we make sure that she is not going to come back."

Unicorn Knight reflected on the information he received, then he nodded to the pony before him. "Thank you for your help. I will not keep you from your duties."

Guard bowed. "As you wish my lord. May I ask what are you planning to do next?"

Silver blade opened his mouth to respond but were interrupted.

"We are going after the witch!" Strong deep voice stated.

Present ponies gasped and looked in the direction of the voice. They saw Bright heart walking out from the ruins in their direction.

His second in command was shocked. "Sir?"

"I said we are going to hunt her down." Grey pegasus stooped right in front of Silver Blade.

Unicorn looked in the eyes of his leader... He didn't like what he saw. Anger and hate could be seen in the eyes of the pegasus.

One of the Knights stood up. "But my lord! We don't even know where to find her."

"I know where she is." He turned to surprised ponies. "Mercury Stream said that she wants to become the Aurora Light's successor. What would be a better place to do it if not the old king's castle."

"Aurora's castle? But it has been deserted for over two centuries now."

Pegasus nodded. "That's why this area wasn't looked upon closer. That place is a symbol of the old order, forgotten by most ponies."

Silver blade trotted closer to him and now stood snout to snout with his leader, and his best friend. "Bright Heart this is madness." He hissed to Bright Heart. He forgo the formal tone he usually used, he spoke like that to his leader only when they were alone or when the pegasus was about to make a grave mistake. "We can't compete with such power, you saw what she did back there in the monastery, look around now. How can we possibly defeat her without an army?" He lowered his voice. "Listen to me. We should regroup in Neighenburgh. She is strong and smart mare. I'm sure she fled with the others." He tried to sound reassuring, but deep inside even he didn't believe his own words.

Bright Heart raised a locket that was now on his neck with his hoof to the level of Silver Blade's eyes. "You know what this is. You know what that means. I tried to believe my friend, I tried." Pegasus sighed heavily. "She's gone. Hiding and running will only postpone the inevitable. We must do something my friend." He turned to the rest of the Knights. "Today I lost wife and unborn foal." He raised his voiced so everypony could hear him. "I lost them because of the evil in the form of a unicorn we tried to capture. And I'm going to avenge them. I can't ask you to accompany me, but I'm going to confront Mercury Stream and make her pay even if it kills me." He looked at the gathered awaiting their response. After few moments of nervous glances and murmurs one by one Knights began to stand up and nod to their leader, showing their support and readiness. He knew that they would follow him into the fire of Tartarus itself.

The last hesitant was Silver Blade. Unicorn was certain that this mission is madness. He looked at Bright Heart. He could see emotions boiling inside the pegasus. It was clear that it was not his sense of duty but the pure hatred, that drove him to go after Mercury Stream. On the other hoof, he knew that his leader was right. Left unchecked the witch could soon become too powerful to defeat. Blue unicorn sighed and looked in the eyes of his friend. "Lets do this."

..............................................................................................................................

It was getting dark. Knights finally reunited with the group that stayed to search monastery where they fought Mercury Stream. The rocky valley they were inside now was their last stop before the Aurora's castle, air in the camp was thick with tension and news brought by the second group only worsened the situation.

"Are you sure?" Silver Blade frowned.

Green pegasus mare nodded. "Absolutely. We've searched the area thoroughly and found the signs of digging in the monastery and it's surroundings. We also found a bag that surely belonged to the one of the cultists. It was filled with ornaments and idols stolen from the monastery."

Frown of the blue unicorn deepened. "I don't get it. Why would she want to steal something like that? With the support her followers Mercury Stream doesn't need money... Or to go to such places by herself to find it."

Another pony approached, a white unicorn mare. "There's more to it."

Silver Blade looked at her, sensing anxiety and fear. He nodded to her.

"What do you mean?"

"This monastery was a temple of the old gods. Unicorns that worshipped them before the fall of this religion were using enormous amounts of magic during the services. Very air not to mention the building itself should be vibrating with magic energy. But it was empty. Not even a trace of magic." Mare was becoming more and more uneasy as she spoke.

"Do you mean that, the magic energy there was... Taken away?"

"I'm afraid so."

Silence fell over the camp. Everypony who had any knowledge about magic knew that siphoning it was not possible through normal means.

Shivering mare spoke again. "The rumors are true. Mercury Stream is in league with demons."

"We don't know it for sure!" Silver Blade spoke trying to rise morale. "She could have found another way. Or maybe something purged this place of magic earlier. We don't know for sure." He looked each of present ponies in the eyes. "Get some sleep Knights. We need to be in full strength tomorrow." Knights nodded and spread in the encampment trying to get some sleep but the uneasiness remained.

Blue unicorn looked at the spot several metres away from the edge of the camp. There, by the wall of the valley, next to the small campfire, was sitting a grey pegasus. Bright Heart was silent since the events in Hayverness, he was keeping distance from everypony and shun any contact. Silver Blade was now actual leader of the Knight until Bright Heart regain ability to command. He walked to his friend, he was trying to break the wall which pegasus built around himself for the past few days.

Unicorn stopped several steps from the pegasus and waited. Bright Heart was looking at the two silver pedants he was wearing on his neck. After few moments grey stallion raised his head and looked at him.

Unicorn started. "Have you heard the news?" He was looking at pegasus expectantly.

"Yes."

"And?"

Pegasus turned his head to the sky and remained silent for a moment. "As you said, we don't know for sure."

Silver Blade clenched his teeth. Apathy and indifference of his friend was making him both sad and angry.

"Silver Blade." Unicorn's ears perked up. "I need you to do something for me." Pegasus turned his reddened eyes at him.

Unicorn came closer to his friend and sat in front of him. "What is it?" Then Bright Heart took off pedants from his neck and gave both to Silver Blade. Blue stallion was dumbfounded. "What?"

"My friend... Tomorrow we will fight Mercury Stream, and I'm going to do whatever necessary to defeat her... If I fall I want you to give them to my father-in-law, Sir Sun Sky from Canterloth." Unicorn was stunned from what he just heard. He was about to refuse and say that there is no need for that, that they will both win and survive but pegasus spoke once more. "Please."

Silver Blade inhaled and nodded, he wished that his friend wouldn't do anything stupid tomorrow but he honoured Bright Heart's request. Both gave each other uneasy smiles and retreated to their blankets trying to get some sleep before the storm.

...........................................................................................

Sun was already setting when Equestrian Knights reached castle of the former emperor Aurora Light. Giant building dominated over the landscape. Aside from the walls surrounding the castle everything seemed to be intact despite the flow of time. Doing their best to remain unseen they slowly made it to the walls which, luckily for them, were unguarded. Twelve ponies entered the courtyard through the breach in the wall and then, with help of pegasi in their group, got onto the castle's balcony on the second floor.

As soon as they got inside Silver Blade could hear echo of chanting coming from the corridors. He turned to Bright Heart "You were right my lord." Pegasus didn't respond, focused solely on the task ahead. They trotted through the corridors, silently eliminating any sentries they run across. Finally they reached the source of the chanting. It was the old throne room, changed into temple. Three storeys high, two rows of columns supporting the ceiling. Galleries on the each side of the room. Few dozens of ponies were present there, most of them chanting or renovating the room. In the place where there used to be a throne now stood a bizarre altar that looked as agglomeration of various idols and artifacts emitting a slight glowing aura. In front of altar there were three ponies busy placing new additions to it. One of them were Mercury Stream herself.

Silver Blade evaluated situation searching for the best way to attack. They were vastly outnumbered and he was certain that even more cultists were in the castle.Unfortunately his hopes of playing it smart were extinguished as he saw Bright Heart unfolding his wings, with sword ready in his hooves and burning fury in his eyes. Before unicorn could say anything, grey stallion launched himself towards Mercury Stream causing panic among cultists. When she heard the commotion she turned around just in time to see descending pegaus, but had no time to react. Bright Heart's sword hit her back with the force of a thunderbolt, just like before blade bounced from the metal coating, but the sheer power of the attack was sufficient to knock the unicorn down.

Rest of the Equestrians engaged disoriented minions, trying to push them from the chamber. Meanwhile Bright Heart in his rage bombarded Mercury Stream with a hail of blows, denying her chance to catch breath and concentrate on spells. Witch was shocked by the fury of attack, unable to cast any spell she rolled on her back and kicked the pegasus. Metal clad hoof crashed against his jaw shaking him and causing a pause in the attacks. Mare used the moment and delivered a powerful telekinetic blast which hurled him upwards with bone-shattering force. She quickly jumped on her hooves hoping to regain control over the situation. Unicorn thought that the assailant was dealt with but she was wrong. When Bright Heart's hooves touched the ground again he just spat blood and charged as if nothing has happened. Enchantress was on defensive once again but now she could use her magic. She started deflecting blows but were still unable to attack directly. She could feel that despite her impenetrable armor she suffered internal injuries. Her eyes started emitting a slight glow as she tried to haze her opponent's mind in order to create an opportunity to strike.
But you can't blind something that is already blinded.
To her surprise stallion didn't even flinch. He continued to push her back, fighting like a berserker. Then she finally recognized his face.

"YOU!?" Mercury stream was stunned. She thought that her recent actions would break the Knight, leaving him unable to live, not to mention fight. True she have broken him... But not in the way she expected. For the first time in years Mercury Stream felt the sting of fear.

Throne chamber was in total chaos, screams and clang of metal were only things that could be heard there. Nopony noticed that the altar's glow intensified and turned red.

Enchantress managed to summon a blade and charge it with magic of lightnings. She struck her opponent but despite delivering wounds and electric shocks, she achieved nothing. Roaring pegasus was assaulting her unrelentingly, more and more blows reaching her metal cover. Duel became so fierce that the lightnings from her sword started to strike her as well and her armour seemed to try to reach Bright Heart with sharp tendrils of living metal. Then Mercury Stream's sword splintered and only thing that stopped Knight's blade was a magic shield conjured by her in the last moment. Momentum of the strike sent her on her haunches and mad pegasus began to strike again and again at her head, each time his blade came closer to it's target. Panicking she started gathering energy in her horn while sustaining the magic field, her armour lashing in all directions with metal tendrils.

Then, as she was about to cast a spell that would obliterate her opponent, her shield collapsed and Bright Heart's sword struck the tip of her horn.

With an earth-shattering roar a wave of light and energy spread from the two fighters, knocking everypony in the chamber to the ground, destroying the altar and damaging two nearest columns. Damaged supports then collapsed on Bright Heart and Mercury Stream along with big chunks of the ceiling burying them under tons of stone.

When the dust settled, there was absolute silence in the room. Shocked ponies didn't resume the fight, trying to comprehend what has just happened. After a moment they realized the truth. Their leaders were dead.

Silver Blade slowly trotted to the giant pile of debris, shaking his head in disbelief. "No." He stammered and sat on his haunches.

Followers of the Mercury Stream started to drop their weapons on the floor. With death of their leader there was no purpose to continue the fight, some of them lifted their forelegs in gesture of surrender while others simply run away.

The battle has been won, but at terrible price.

Knights didn't pursue the runaways, they had a hero to mourn.

The best one of their order.

Their leader.

Their friend.

...................................................................................................................

Neighenburgh was bustling with life. Messenger came to city several hours earlier with great news. Witch Mercury Stream was killed by Equestrian Knights and heroes themselves are coming to Neighenburgh. Festivities were organized and crowd of ponies awaited on the square behind the main gates to see their saviours and congratulate them.

It was early afternoon when Knights arrived. Storm of cheers erupted when heroes of Equestria passed the gate, officials came forward to greet them and congratulate on success. A careful observer could see the hints of sadness on Knight's faces.

Silver Blade, now the formal leader of the Knights, greeted the officials and politely refused taking part in festivities explaining that he is exhausted and left to search an inn. He knew that it was rude but he wasn't in mood for festivals, besides he had journey to plan. Canterloth was far away after all.

He trotted through crowded street, lost in thoughts, when he heard a familiar voice calling for him.

"Silver Blade! Silver Blade!"

He turned to the direction of the voice and saw cyan pegasus mare in an advanced pregnancy, trotting towards him.
Unicorn's eyes widened. "S-Sun Blaze? How is it possible? We... We thought you died."

Sun Blaze smiled. "I'm happy to see you too. It was close but I survived. My brother visited me when you went to fight the witch. When she appeared throwing fireballs at our home, he managed to teleport us out and we run away with the rest of the refugees." She frowned. "I was afraid that she killed you. I prayed everyday for it not to be truth." Mare smiled again. "And you defeated her. Now tell me where is my husband? He never let the officials to slow him down."

Silver Blade's expression became painful. Now after her moment of joy he had to deliver a horrible truth. "My lady..." His horn started to glow and two pedants flew from his bag, landing on Sun Blaze's hoof.

"My wedding locket? I lost it during my escape! How did you-" She stopped when she recognized second locket. Sun Blaze raised her head to meet Silver Blade's eyes. "What does it mean? Why..."

He inhaled. "My lady. Bright Heart died fighting Mercury Stream. He gave his live to destroy her and saved us all."

Sun Blaze stood there with her mouth agape, trying to comprehend what she has just heard. "Bright Heart... Dead?" Tears started to flow from her eyes as she sat on her haunches.

"I'm sorry Sun Blaze." He moved closer to crying mare and hugged her.

Equestria have won this battle. But victory was costly.

Costly and short-lived.