• Published 22nd May 2012
  • 1,508 Views, 44 Comments

Making Progress - Filler



A collection of stories under 1,000 words.

  • ...
2
 44
 1,508

A Last Meal

Last Request brought in the silver, domed dish and placed it on the table in front of the condemned inmate. Lifting the dome, he revealed a feast fit for a king: two succulent century moonflowers seasoned with saffron and thyme, fresh strawberries straight from the field, a glass of aged Cloudsdalean white wine, and a slice of chocolate cake the size of his hoof.

Cyanide Sweets craned down her neck and took a bite of the moonflower, chewed twice, and slowly swallowed.

"How is it?" asked Last Request, not showing emotion.

Cyanide Sweets pushed the dish away, and propped up her head with a hoof, letting her gaze fall downwards. She heaved a heavy sigh, then gave a dry, bitter laugh. "I should have asked for potatoes like Ma used to make," she said.

She stood up, rapping a hoof against the table, and told the guard, "I'm done here. Let's go."

As the guard took her down the hall to the needle room, Last Request put the dome back on the dish and carried it back to the kitchen.

Author's Note:

Copied and pasted from an old Ponychan thread.