• Published 29th Jun 2015
  • 225 Views, 2 Comments

Research and Development - Jigsaw



A pair of exuberant inventors move to Ponyville.

  • ...
 2
 225

Chapter 3 - Extreme Mania, Home Edition

Short Circuit sat patiently near a pile of assorted bits of lumber and scrap metal, clicking her tongue rapidly as her bronze-coated companion skidded to a halt in front of her carrying a garbage bag. At least he isn't eating out of it this time, Short thought to herself, grinning at the inside joke she shared with herself.

"Alright, I borrowed some tools from the construction site across town. Did you find everything we need?"

"Yeah, I salvaged what I could from our old wagon. Borrowed?"

"Well, I'm gonna bring 'em back eventually," Jigsaw replied as Short Circuit planted her hoof in the center of her forehead, "It's unfortunate that none of our tools survived the crash. I really liked my old saw."

Short Circuit looked between the bag of tools and the tool carrying them, "Fine, but you're going to be the one explaining why that equipment disappeared."

"Well then, let's get to work before they notice," Jigsaw said with a smirk, which Short returned. Jigsaw emptied the contents of the bag onto the grass, kicking a hammer with his good leg into the direction of his friend, who caught it with an open hoof. Jigsaw picked up the tool which bore his namesake, and began the usual banter with, "My record for this is ten seconds," as he began cutting away at the pile of scrap metal, removing the sections damaged beyond repair with finesse, despite his broken leg.

"That was fifteen seconds, hothead."

"Well, you should try working with a cast," Jigsaw shot back as Short spun the hammer around her hoof.

Short turned to Jigsaw, and replied with two words: "My turn." Soon, the newly refurbished metal was arranged into a makeshift square frame around a previously vacant lot, and Short was slamming them together with speed and coordination that rivaled her partner's. The greenish blur that surrounded the metal framework subsided, revealing the green mare, who returned to spinning the hammer around her hoof, "Fourteen seconds. I'll assume you didn't forget the goggles this time?"

Jigsaw tossed her a pair and mumbled, "That was one time," as he retrieved a pair of clamps from his pile of fun. Jigsaw brought his goggles down over his eyes and brought the clamps closer together. A large bolt of blue light ignited between the metal clamps as Jigsaw tore them away from each other. "And now, the fun begins," Jigsaw declared as he looked at Short Circuit. The pair nodded to each other, and flashed toward the framework in a green and gold blur.

The green blur held a wall up to the framework and attached one of the clamps to the slab of metal as the gold blur raced around the surrounding framework with a streak of blue-white light. When the blue light subsided, the green blur positioned another wall, allowing the gold blur to continue his ensemble of blue fireworks until all four walls were brought together and welded into position. The two unicorns came to a halt in front of their barren metal home.

Jigsaw gave the building a look of disgust before making his thoughts audible, "Sweet mother of Celestia, that looks awful." A dull grey cube stood before them without any defining features, the exception being a few sizable holes for a door and windows, plus the addition of a slanted roof, similar to those on the surrounding Ponyville houses. Dull grey framework was stuck to the wall with a thin, bubbly line of previously melted steel. Jigsaw glanced at Short Circuit, who was eyeing the structure with a similar look of disdain, before asking, "Should I get some spray paint?"

"We weren't expecting it to look good. I'll get some paint. Considering it's our first time building a house, I'm glad it's still standing," Short Circuit replied.

"In the meantime, I'll take out the trash," Jigsaw lifted the diminished pile of scrap from their new front lawn and began a short walk through town to scatter the few remaining pieces of scrap metal into garbage cans throughout the city.

Fifty bits say that building won't survive the night, Jigsaw thought as he watched Short Circuit disappear around the corner. He let out a small gasp as the pain returned to his leg. He looked down at his leg and winced as he saw a crack in the sheet of plaster holding his leg together.

He set down the scrap as his green glow formed around the crack, Jigsaw grinding his teeth as the crack slowly closed. The cast became solid, and he withdrew his magic, releasing a forced, painful breath. Within a few moments, the pain dulled, and Jigsaw picked up the scrap metal and returned to his walk undeterred.


"So, Twilight, what do ya think of the new fellas?" Applejack asked her friends, who were mid-way through eating dinner.

Twilight's eyes drooped slightly at the question, "I don't know, I only met the stallion for a moment, I hope he's alright, and Short Circuit didn't say much other than asking for directions."

"Yeah, The first thing she did in Ponyville was rent a book from you. A mare after your own heart," Rainbow interjected with a pseudo-romantic pose, which only received a laugh from herself, and a slight chuckle from Spike.

"I don't think so, Rainbow. This story doesn't have a romance tag, so I don't think Twilight is going to fall in love," Pinkie Pie stated.

This statement caused raised eyebrows from the group before Rarity decided to change the subject, "I think the mare -Short Circuit, was it?-was nice, but her coat color was pretty, blegh" Rarity contorted her face and stuck her tongue out.

Applejack interjected at her friend's insult, "Rarity, you can't go around calling ponies' coats ugly. She was probably born with it, and you shouldn't go around insulting anyone with the color green. Remember what happened during Trixie's performance with Carrot Top?"

"That was an accident, Applejack, and I did apologize, but I was simply thinking that I might offer her a mane styling, or perhaps a coat dye."

Rainbow facehoofed as the conversation's topic walked up to them with a book on particle physics borrowed from Twilight's library and an expression that radiated annoyance like the sun radiates heat.

"Thanks for helping me out this morning, both for the directions and the book," Short spat out as she dropped the book on the table with a resounding thud. She turned to Rarity, "and I'm so sorry my coat is so abysmally horrid," Short cast a shadow over the table while casting a look of disdain over the mare who insulted her.

Rarity shrunk back in her chair as Short turned and marched away, muttering obscenities under her breath.

The group stayed silent for a while before Rainbow muttered, "I think Carrot Top handled it better."