• Published 7th Aug 2015
  • 1,573 Views, 26 Comments

Hysteria - MidnightRun



After losing their powers, Adagio and her sisters find comfort in the home of a new student named Midnight Rider, A student from Australia who out of the kindness of his heart takes them in. At the same time Adagio is starting to feel strange

  • ...
11
 26
 1,573

A place to stay

Despair was all Adagio Dazzle and her two sisters felt, though Aria was more angry than despondent , Sonata was bawling like a baby and Adagio was on her knees after they had fled down the alley. She couldn't bear the thought that she had lead her sisters to lose everything that made them who they were as sirens. The non existent pendants were all they had connecting them back to the land of Equestria. All the ever wanted was to go home, and yet some cruel twist of fate snatched their victory through their fingers How could this have happened to us. The former siren thought sadly

I had planned everything perfectly, I've lost everything She silently wept as Aria verbally abused Sonata. The three of them were now mortal, and unable to sing. For them that is a fate worse than death. It was Aria's ranting and raving that was making things worse and to top it all off she started pointing the finger of blame towards the baby sister of the trio, who looked like she could take no more abuse and mistreatment

" This is all your fault Sonata! You let them destroy our pendants and now we're going to die." shouted the middle sister. Sonata looked about ready to burst into tears. How could her own sister, her own flesh and blood, blame her for this. She didn't like her sister abusing her over the thousands of years they had been together.

Aria had even stolen her first boyfriend when they were in the hippie movement at Woodstock. Sonata knew that Adagio would have most likely turned away from her, but she comforted her like a mother would, ever since they were young baby sirens, Adagio brought the two of them up after their parents abandoned them. She was their mother, aunt and sister all in one package. Sonata was an airhead true, but she still had feelings and right now those feeling were being pounded into the dust. Her shoulders slumped down and her eyes began to water some more.

" How can you say that! we still have our apartment, that's something right?"

"Two things, I blame you because your the worst and the only reason we have that apartment is because we convinced the fucking landlord to let us stay with our singing, something that you cost us." Aria told her poking her in the the chest a total of three times at the last three words, one at a time with force. This was only making the usually go lucky former siren lose her cool with her attacker. Her blood was heating up with anger

" Say I'm the worst one more time." Sonata warned her, aggressively staring straight into her elder sisters eyes. "I dare you."

"You're. The. Worst." Aria said in monotone.

That did it, Sonata couldn't be little miss nice girl any longer she snapped throwing herself towards the girl with the pigtails and knocked her to the cold hard concrete, and proceeded to punch her in the face a couple of times . Aria thought her nose was broken but she would not be beaten by a little airhead so she rolled over, switching the ground between the two of them, and put her hands around Sonata's throat intending to strangle her. This despite Adagio's sadness, she would not tolerate in the slightest. She was about to unleash the fury of a protective sister and was seeing red. She had finally had enough of Aria's bad attitude. She grabbed the former siren by one of her pigtails who screamed in pain, and threw her against the alley wall, Then forced her to look at at Sonata who looked very pale after the assault.

"LOOK AT HER ARIA!! LOOK AT HER!! WITHOUT OUR PENDANTS WE ARE NOTHING MORE THAN MOTHERFUCKING MORTALS! YOU ALMOST KILLED YOUR OWN SISTER!" Getting screamed in the face was enough to make the stone faced Aria groan. A second later a sob escaped her lips, and losing all control of her emotions showed that she really did care for Sonata. She slid her back down the wall crying her eyes out and taking her older sisters hands in hers because sisters need each other, even if times are tough.

Adagio quickly regretted her outburst. Turning her head at Sonata, who had just recovered and was walking over to them holding one blue and petite hand on her throat. The poor girls eyes were generating waterfalls and leaned down towards the distraught teenager who was in a fetal position and hugged her. Adagio immediately followed her youngest sisters lead and cradled Aria's head in her arms. It was the first time she had cried in a century.

" shh shh shh, Aria it's alright, calm down now, its alright." whispered Adagio, she didn't know where they would go after tonight, only that she had to live up to her role as the eldest sister. Even now Adagio was shedding tears at the state the two of them were in. At last she admitted that this was her fault, she wanted power that would make everyone adore her and she brought her sisters along for the ride.

I'm so sorry girls, I got us banished from Equestria, and now we'll die like everyone else, all because I was too blind to see what I was leading you into. Its all my fault.

" I'm so sorry, Sonata, I just don't know what to do anymore... I want to go home." Aria wailed clinging to Adagios cloths, her makeup running down her face, but Adagio did not care about the makeup on her stage outfit. Her family came first above all else in this time of family crisis. Sonata didn't say anything back to Aria, her actions clearly spoke louder than words, refusing to let go of the only family she had left. Adagio didn't believe in things like God, but she was desperate for an answer as she looked up to the night sky, complete with the full moon, hoping, begging for a sign that would save them from the precipice of total despair.

*

The bus that drove from the airport was busy today, there were several faces there that each had their reason for being on the revved up vehicle. One teenage boy in particular was sitting at the very end of the bus, listening to the song two out of three ain't bad by Meatloaf on his Ipod touch. As soon as the song finished, another song was played called the heartache by Warren Zevon two heartbreaking songs in row was too much so he switched off his Ipod and tried to think about something else The young drifter was going through a hard time, Recently, he had a breakup with his ex girlfriend in Australia. She had found another lover and told him the exact same words in the previous songs chorus, since then he swore to never again fall in love.

It was just too much heartache for him. Even though he was sixteen years old he knew how to look after himself without his parents. His father was an alcoholic drunk, and his dear sweet mother was killed in a fatal head-on collision whilst driving her Nissan on the freeway. After the boys father blamed him for her untimely demise, he could not stand to look at the man he called Father.

After the argument,he packed his bags and whatever possessions he owned including his mothers akubra and headed off to start a new life in the United States. Fifty states was a lot to choose from but he instantly had made it clear he was going to live in California. It was sunny and warm, just like back home in the land down under. He had also remembered to pack his education papers for the local high school he had heard about online.

As he thought about the apartment he was going to stay in, the bus stopped at the next drop off point My apartment is around this stop.
He thought, quietly grabbing his backpack and a couple of tucker bags from the luggage shelf above him. The teenager walked up to the driver, and paid him the travel fee.

"Thanks for the ride, mate." The young man said, while the driver, a middle aged man smiled warmly, he clearly loved his job

"Think nothing of it, I'm just doing what I'm paid to do. Good luck out there, kid." he told him while opening the doors for the disembarking passenger. After getting off the bus, it started to rain, and it looked like a storm was coming in so much for warm and sunny he thought sadly. He took off his backpack and pulled out a black Driza bone long-coat, put it on and put the akubra hat on his head

Putting his backpack on, the drifter started walking looking for the address number that his apartment block would have. His mind was everywhere, if it weren't for his coat, he would be as wet as you can possibly get and walked through the rain as it collected in the top of his hat, the young Australian boy walked across the streets at a traffic crossing waiting for the walk sign. He was thankful that his coat was oil-skinned, keeping it dry as the nearby desert known as Death Valley or more appropriately, the outback that he still called home.

The walk sign was unchanged for two minutes. The streets were mostly devoid of people, a few of them that were out in the weather looked cold. Some gave a quick glance at the teen in black, who was thinking about what kind of friends he would make when he enrolled tomorrow morning. Hopefully he would be alright in the states, apparently he had heard that gun laws were less strict here. That single thought alone sent a chill down his spine.

At long last, the walk sign lit up in a bright green glow, signaling that it was safe to cross the busy street. Stepping onto the wet bitumen and crossing the street he noticed the name of the next street ahead on a sign with bright snowy letters emblazoned upon it Pegasus Boulevard, this must be the street my apartments on. he allowed a small smile to show on his face, it wasn't far to go, the sooner he settled in, the sooner he could start his life anew.

After walking past the buildings,he began to hear sounds coming down the alley between two of the buildings. It sounded like someone was crying, scratch that he thought, there must be two more sounds that sounded like he did when his mother died. It was a sound that told him that someone needed help, being a kind person, he walked down the dark, dingy alley to offer some comfort.

The sounds of sobs that filled the foul smelling air started to get closer, the teen drifter squinted his eyes and saw something that made his heart ache, sitting with their faces to the wall, were three teenage girls who he thought were his age by the looks of them. He approached them slowly.

" Are you girls alright?"Adagio turned around to see who was addressing the three of them, her eyes were red from crying. She didn't know this teenager, hell she didn't even see him in school and from the looks of it, he didn't know them either. So why was he here? She opened her mouth to ask him why he even cared about showing sympathy to a trio of strangers, before Aria spoke first.

" What do you want, just go away and leave us alone." Aria warned him giving the teenage boy a glare that could have rivaled a basilisk.

" Aria, that was rude, he just asked us a question." Sonata chided her sister. Aria just ignored her and turned away from the boy. The boy in the hat looked hurt, he was just trying to help, for all he knew these girls were probably homeless and starving. He would not turn away so easily, kneeling down, the Aussie reached into one of his tucker bags and offered them a cloth to each of them, so they could wipe away their tears.

Sonata and soon after her, Adagio, were the only ones to take the offering, by doing so, Aria followed their lead and received the gift. After wiping her face, Adagio thought that this could be the sign she was hoping for, true she was adored for a brief time, but this was probably the first time in centuries anyone had shown them kindness without being mesmerized by their singing, but she knew better than to cling onto hope that just isn't there, she only just met this stranger who in her mind was oddly dressed, and she and her sisters had seen their share of people who were in odd garments since their ancient Greek days. If only she could be sure, she had to observe this boy's behavior.

"Thanks, who are you, why did you just help us?" Adagio asked out of curiosity, albeit begrudgingly. As far as humans went, he was quite attractive, he possessed long blonde hair down his shoulders, with dark purple highlights, orange skin and what appeared to be crocodile teeth in his akubra hat.

The drifter looked at her with curiosity, maybe she's a proud teenager who doesn't get help much, regardless he had to try, he couldn't let them stay out in the rain, fortunately,the rain was beginning to get lighter, but not for much longer. He decided to know who he was going to take pity on.

"My name is Midnight Rider, I helped you because I'm the sort of person who doesn't like to see others in pain and misery."

Sonata decided to have her say in the matter

"Thank you mist-"

"Thanks for the help, not that we needed it to begin with." Grumbled Aria with a pout. A heavy sigh escaped Adagio's lips, she and Aria would talk later. Even when knocked down, Aria would not let go of her pride. Adagio would not say it, but the drifter's accent was unusual yet attractive Her gaze was fixed on him, not knowing if she could trust this teenager. For all she knew he could be looking for a victim, and three of them for that matter. She decided she should figure out his angle.

"Alright, Midnight Rider, Wha-

"Call me Midnight." He said cutting her off. The pale yellow girl just rolled her eyes

"Alright, Midnight, what do you want from us?" She asked him straight out, her violet eyes not straying from his face, as if she was judging him to be a threat, but then why would he take pity on the three of them. Perhaps he was one those "what's in it for me." kind of people that just expected to be given a reward. She could play at this game as well, she always was a manipulative woman. a girl who was so driven by desire, that she and her siblings became shadows of what they once were. Her instincts told her to hear him out for at least five minutes.

"Look, first off I'd like to know you're names. That would be a start."

The young girl with the blue ponytail gave him a small smile, out of the three she seemed to be the most trusting, even the other two were starting to come out of their shells albeit,hesitantly. Adagio knew her youngest sister was an airhead but, she was her airhead. And if this young man could make her smile then she could trust him, Aria, on the other hand was still hesitant but soon gave in.

"My name is Sonata Dusk..."

"Aria Blaze."

"And I'm Adagio, Adagio Dazzle.

Midnight thought that each of their names were lovely, especially Adagio's name. Their parents must have great taste in names. Come to think of it where are their parents? he thought to himself. The trio of sisters were now beginning to trust him

"Beautiful names." He complimented them while Sonata blushed along with her sisters except for Aria, hiding the blush from his sight. Adagio and Sonata quickly composed themselves "A lot better than my name anyways." Midnight chuckled.

"I like his name, it sounds fairly okay." Said Aria

"For once I agree with you" added Sonata. Aria just said nothing. She was still hurting after that attack Adagio gave her, but what could she have been expecting when she almost ended the life of a young girl, who obsessed with tacos. It was still hurting inside that she nearly killed her now mortal sister. Suddenly the sound of rolling thunder filled the sky, the storm was coming and it was coming fast, it was going to be a big one. Midnight knew it was now or never.

"How about the three of you come with me, I can take you to your parents if you show me where they live." Adagio shook her head sadly

"We don't have any parents Midnight, it fell to me to look after my sisters..." Adagio broke down again, sobbing before she felt a soft touch on her shoulder. She looked at Midnight with a forlorn look plastered on her face. In his mind, Midnight could sympathize with them, what with his mother gone, and his father basically all but dead to him. He decided to do what the kindness in his heart told him

"Now, don't cry Adagio, I know what to do, how would you, Aria and Sonata like to live with me in my new apartment? It conveniently houses four people, and tonight I'm going to order taco's for dinner" He smiled at them. She was right about him, he was that thin ray of hope that she clung onto. Sonata instantly got excited when she heard the magic T word that she gave Adagio the biggest puppy dog pout to convince her to take up the offer Aria thought it was a bad idea to take up this boys offer. But she may as well join the club as she had heard humans say.

"Thank you so much Midnight." said the pale yellow teenager who got to her feet with some help from Midnight.

"Tacos tonight!" Sonata squealed and wrapped her arms around their savior in a crushing bear hug "For realzies, thank you so much." For a sweet girl, she certainly had a good grip as far as he was concerned. Sonata began to see that her hug was making Midnight as blue as she was. As soon as he was released, Midnight started taking very deep breaths, This sheila has a good grip.

"Come on, my apartment is just around the corner." Midnight looked to Aria who was still sitting on the ground. "you coming, or what?"

"Whats it to you?"

Adagio pinched the bridge of her nose. Folding her arms she looked to Aria. "Aria, come on, if you stay here you might get pneumonia. Lets go." Against her better judgement, Aria got to her feet, pushing away Midnight's gloved hand out of pride. They walked out of the alley and onto the footpath. Midnight kept a steady pace so the three former sirens could keep up with him. It was not far to go now, it was just four blocks away from them. Although it was only a small distance, Sonata was counting how many red cars were going by to entertain herself, by the time she reached the fifth car they had arrived at their new home. The rain was pouring down heavily, it was a large deluge that could cause flooding, Adagio's thick curls were getting waterlogged and the last of Aria's makeup was gone. Sonata felt cold, in the still falling rain, causing shivering to her very soul.

Midnight walked up the stairs and knocked on the door a total of five times. A light was turned on inside, and footsteps could be heard approaching them. The door opened up slowly, stopping itself from opening completely, the lock on the other side allowed a small glance inside, where a young woman was peering through the crack to the outside world.

'Yes, who is it?" said the woman's voice. Instantly, Midnight recognized that voice, he had not heard from her in a year, when she had left Australia a year ago.

"Art,Art Magic, is that you?" He asked softly, peering through the crack in the doorway. The door shut closed, the sound of fiddling with the lock on the side was evident and clear. Suddenly the way forward was opened, revealing a young woman with a navy blue complexion, she had blonde hair with purple coloured highlights and blue eyes. A smile graced her features as she met her older brother face to face.

"Midnight." She wrapped her arms around his neck, noticing the three girls he had with him. After returning the hug, she folded her arms and looked at him strangely.

"So," she started, "What made you come here to Cali big bro ?"

"Trouble with Dad." he stated bluntly with loads of contempt. Adagio's eyes widened, This boy had issues with his family, she couldn't say that she was without sin as even though she generally disliked her sisters company, she still kept them around. Her slender hand reached for her neck, feeling where her ruby pendant once was. A sad reminder that unless she could find and fix the jewels, they would turn to dust

How long will this take? a day? a week, maybe a year Adagio pondered in fear. She had only managed to retrieve whatever was left of the only thing that kept her alive for centuries. Hers was the only one she managed to take with her. She nearly jumped when she heard Art address them.

" Come on in, you all look chilled to the bone." Star cried

Aria, who said nothing, quickly showed a grateful smile, and made it disappear as quickly as it came, there was no way she would go soft. The four teenagers entered the apartment block, following Star through the building. Midnight was slightly ahead counting the numbers of the rooms

Aria nudged Adagio somewhat gently as they walked down the corridor, and up the stairs, getting her attention.

" Do you even have a plan Adagio? We need to fix our pendants, or else we're fucked." Whispered Aria quietly.

" We enrolled in Canterlot High School, so maybe they're still there, trust me this boy is gullible. As long as he lets us stay here, we have a chance then once we have our pendants restored, we will have no need of him." she whispered back.

"thirty seven... thirty eight... thirty nine... Here we are room forty." Midnight took his room key from his sister who despite her age was doing well for herself as a landlord, however she still had school to go to in the morning and had just enrolled to attend the local high school, Canterlot high. Apparently Midnight found he did not have to pay his little sister for living here, it truly was a bargain. The key entered the keyhole, with a turn to the right, a click sound was heard and the door was opened.The apartment was quite spacious. A television set was in the middle of the room. Three bedrooms were down the hall, and a large kitchen was in the corner, complete with a fridge and pantry.

"Well, here we are girls. Whats mine is yours." Midnight took off his long coat and hat, hanging them up on the stand beside the door. The apartment was nice and dry. It was a nice change of scenery compared to the gloomy gray skies and soaked outdoors, where the stormy weather sent bolts of lightning cutting through the sky like paper. Turning to his three companions, Midnight walked past them to his Young sibling.

"Art." Midnight briefly bit his lip. " Do you think you can drive down to taco bell? I promised Adagio, Aria and Sonata tacos for dinner."

Art chuckled, she had a bit of a temper and when she and Midnight were in their early teens, it scared him to the point of hesitating. This however was just funny, seeing him still scared of her anger issues. Lucky for him, she had taken anger management lessons. A quick nod without a sound surprised the boy, but soon gave way to relief.

"Thanks, Sis." He turned to the girls he had had the pleasure of meeting, namely Adagio. "Why don't you and your sisters take a shower? You all look like you need one."

"Thank you, Midnight. Girls, we will go youngest to eldest, Sonata your first."

The blue former siren perked up at the thought of having a nice hot shower first. " For realzies?"

Her oldest sister smiled at her. " for realzies." She quickly went down the hallway and into the bathroom where the sound of water began to run. Aria laid down on the couch and shut her eyes, while Adagio hoped that the next day will be forgiving. Midnight looked at the two of them, after he heard the motor revving up in Arts BMW Don't you worry girls, I'll get you back on your feet. No problem